So Long for now, IGGY......"We hardly knew thee" !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: So Long for now, IGGY......

I guess Ben cant accept the fact that was wrong about Iggy's readiness to be on Sox and play MLB...so he will disrupt the top rated defense by removing its most important player (who is also hitting like mad) so that he can justify overspending on a one year rental with a guy who is average at best and injury prone.... 

That is some seriously good GMing there isnt it folks? Impressed? Does Ben even understand anything about momentum? Team Dynamics? How about plain old baseball?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I think this is another debatable point with legit points on either side. 

I tend to fall on the side of "play Iggy," but that's because I place a high value on a defensive shortstop. Historically, the Sox have not and have generally shown an obsession with offensive production at that position which has lead to some of the worst signings in recent Sox history (Renteria, Softy's pal Lugo). 

I keep hearing "you have to play Drew now that you've paid him." That's not the right argument. If you want to argue that he will give you more offensive production, maybe that's an argument for playing him. But not because you overvalued him. 

We'll see how this plays out, but right now it seems a missed opportunity to see what we have in Iggy.

I agree.  The way Iglesias is going right now, there is no logic in supplanting him just because of Drew's price tag.  It is hard to make an argument that Drew is an upgrade considering what Iggy has done thus far at the plate. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Iggy has never hit the baseball beyond A ball. S. Drew has a great OPS for a SS. It's an easy decision, Get S. Drew in the lineup ASAP!!

Everything is black and white with you.  Of course it is not an easy decsion.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

I guess Ben cant accept the fact that was wrong about Iggy's readiness to be on Sox and play MLB...so he will disrupt the top rated defense by removing its most important player (who is also hitting like mad) so that he can justify overspending on a one year rental with a guy who is average at best and injury prone.... 

That is some seriously good GMing there isnt it folks? Impressed? Does Ben even understand anything about momentum? Team Dynamics? How about plain old baseball?

you're a reduntancy of mr softy.

or maybe I want the Sox to play their best player...i could care less if they promote Drew or not, but not at Iggy's expense

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Iggy has never hit the baseball beyond A ball. S. Drew has a great OPS for a SS. It's an easy decision, Get S. Drew in the lineup ASAP!!

Everything is black and white with you.  Of course it is not an easy decsion.  

with all due respect Space, this is a very easy decision imo

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's not about Iggy's hitting, and besides, he's not "hitting like mad". He's bunting for hits like mad. Eventually Iggy's BA will go below .270 and now your argument is kaput.

Iggy's defense is so good and so much better than Drew's that he should play. Short and simple and the truth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's not about Iggy's hitting, and besides, he's not "hitting like mad". He's bunting for hits like mad. Eventually Iggy's BA will go below .270 and now your argument is kaput.

Iggy's defense is so good and so much better than Drew's that he should play. Short and simple and the truth.

he's batting .450 with two doubles and the last game was his first w/o a hit....do you even bother to watch the games?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

How well Iglesias needs to perform offensively is a very complicated question. Are we talking this year or career? AAA or in Boston? Generically speaking or playing half his games in Fenway? As an acceptable major leaguer or as a 150 million dollar payroll contendening starter? To beat out Drew or ignoring Drew? Lots of different answers depending on the question.

As a long term starter for the Boston Red Sox, I am going to want him to have at least a .670 OPS. Something like a .310-.360-.670. If he can't do that I would be looking to replace him.

Those numbers take into account the fact he is hitting in Fenway half his games. If we played half our games in Minnesota it would be more like .650. And if we were a low payroll team I would be content with another 30-40 point lower OPS. So being a starter for the Twins a .610 OPS would be acceptable. But not as a starter for the Red Sox.

As for Pawtucket and his need to replace Drew this year, it depends on what Drew does. If Drew puts up an OPS of .780, Iglesias would have to have an OPS above .800 in Pawtucket before I trade Drew and bring up Iglesias. Basically, Iglesias would have to out OPS Drew to get the job this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

he's batting .450 with two doubles and the last game was his first w/o a hit....do you even bother to watch the games?

his BABIP is over .600 and he has 6 IF hits. you think he can sustain that?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Basically, Iglesias would have to out OPS Drew to get the job this year.

What sample size would that need to be?

And, what about for next year? Do you drop the OPS requirement after S. Drew leaves?

It would be a few hundred AB's or around the trade deadline.

As for a major league OPs, it would be around a .670 OPS, although if its early in his career more like .650 next year.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

As for a major league OPs, it would be around a .670 OPS, although if its early in his career more like .650 next year.

What is Iggy's OPS, in MLB, this season?

Are you opposed to allowing Iggy to play his way back to the mionrs when his OPS drops?

Yes, I would bring up Drew no matter what Iggy had done. However, I might have wanted a few more AB's from Drew in the minors then he got.

One other thing about how many AB's before I trade Drew. If Drew is not performing well and Iggy tears the cover off the ball in AAA, then it might be as low as 100 AB's or as early as mid May. If Iglesias has a .850 OPs and Drew is .700 or something like that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

his BABIP is over .600 and he has 6 IF hits. you think he can sustain that?

Waaaayyyy over Georom's head, Mef...Don't bother...You could tell him that the Sox desperately need another left-handed bat in the line-up right now, but that won't register either... You could tell him that Drew is a plus defender, but that won't matter either.  I'm not saying this is an easy decision by any stretch, but too many people on here don't realize how good a player Drew is when healthy...and right now, he's fully healthy.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, I watch every play of every game and many plays 2-3 times.

Iggy is "bunting like mad". I stand by my position, because it happens to be the right position.

Go back and "watch the games" yourself, and tell me again that he is "hitting like mad". He was hitting better in ST as his numbers looked worse. He made several hard outs.

I think 6 of his 9 hits are bunts or IF hits. He has no BBs. He is not a great hitter. He is not a good hitter. He probably is not even a fair hitter. A 21 PA sample size proves nothing, even if all his 9 hits were rope 2Bs.

Again, Iggy should be our starting full time SS for the rest of the year based on his defense and some intangibles on offense, such as his bunting and base-running skills as compared to Drew's.

People using Iggy's offense to justify his playing time are building a house of cards in wind tunnel.

Sections
Shortcuts