So Long for now, IGGY......"We hardly knew thee" !!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: So Long for now, IGGY......

Man, this one is tough.  I understand a manager not kicking a guy out of a job due to injury.  But Jose has made a pretty strong statement.  I mean the only argument anyone could make against keeping him down (and yes I have made it many a time) was that he couldn't hit.  Granted small sample size, but he has said pretty clearly in week one "YES I CAN".  Pure baseball 101 says you gotta play it out now.  The only mitigating factor is Drew's money and trade value.  And that makes me unhappy, even as one of the heretofore biggest proponents of giving Jose more time to develop in Rhode Island.  

I am in full agreement with Softy on this one:  part of the overall chemistry that is clicking right now is the energy and performance of Iglesias (more so than Bradley even).  I don't like messing with mojo, which is, even if financially prudent, what will be done by demoting Iggy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to S5's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

This sets us up for a trade in late June/July.

Would you be so kind as to provide the details of this trade, that would be "set up".

What an absolutely ridiculous post that was.  Obviously it's impossible to sit here in April and know who's going to be available in July.  Drew would be a valuable commodity for any team needing a SS then due to injury or someone not playing up to potential. It's also going to be a matter of who the Sox think they need for the same reasons.

Look into your crystal ball and tell me what every team is going to need in July. Then get back to us.  

I was actually ignorin ghis post because I knew it would just lead to a bunch of blanter from softy, and he would try to "tear apart" any idea I came up with.

If you have a surplus, you find a trading partner.  So I hate to dissapoint but I don't have a proposal, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a healthy SS who can hit would be in high demand at the trading deadline.  And before Softy goes tearing that last statement up, lets keep in mind that my OP said "in a perfect world" which would realize the event of true returning to his form before his injury 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

part of the overall chemistry that is clicking right now is the energy and performance of Iglesias (more so than Bradley even).  I don't like messing with mojo, which is, even if financially prudent, what will be done by demoting Iggy.

+1+

It's appearing that team chemistry was a problem last year that's been solved this year.  This team is playing well together and, say what you will about individual players, this team is winning! 

Why would the FO insist on fixing something that's not broken??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Hope to see you soon, you are one he!! of a GLOVE MAN, and your hitting will get better & better........    As DAD would say............  "SON, this world is not always fair, 9.5MIL speaks volumes"  !!!

It's simply amazing....  I been on here 1 month longer but 13,000 posts less than this windbag,  yet I am here EVERY day to read talented posts....  and yours are NOT!!

I beg your pardon, young lady !!!  You wouldn't know a good POST if you bumped into it in a BAR ROOM  !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think most of us will agree Iglesias has shown he belongs and is almost certainly the SS of the future.  The only question is when that future begins.  Some want it to have begun a week ago.  Others are a tad more patient, especially given the very small sample of Iglesias's undeniable hitting success in the first 7 games.  Drew has demonstrated his ability over several seasons. 

I personally would like Iglesias to stay because I love watching a great fielding SS, but I can live with Drew taking over and Iglesias going back to Pawtucket so he can play every day. 

Peter Abraham, writing about Bradley not Iglesias, made a different point.  Given the disappointments of both 2011 and 2012, the sold out streak is about to end and some of the Sox faithful need to be won over.  In that context Bradley as the new face just might help sell tickets and boost TV ratings.  Iglesias, not quite so much because he played a lot last fall. 

The other consideration is that 5-2 record so far.  softlaw keeps saying it's because of Bradley and Iglesias and almost no one else, and that's silly.  Besides, we saw the Sox win big yesterday without Bradley in LF but with Nava there.  Fielding is great, but you gotta have the hitting. 

That said, however, SS is definitely a position that, when defended superbly as has been the case with Iglesias, can make the pitchers more comfortable.  Right now Middlebrooks, Iglesias, and Pedroia have to be the best 3B/SS/2B combo on the same team in MLB, and Iglesias is easily the best of the three.  The Sox pitching is benefitting from those three and all that speed in the outfield. 

Last year the Sox had the same problem with Youk vs. Middlebrooks and ended up trading away Youk and paying a big chunk of his salary.  As it turned out, it was not a good move even though Middlebrooks was in fact the right guy to keep at 3B.  What happened, however, is that all three positions--1B, 3B, and DH--where Youk could play suffered injuries or were traded by mid-July, roughly two months I think after Youk went to the White Sox.  In the offseason the Sox, having dumped AGon, had to get a catcher to play 1B, a position where Youk only won a gold glove. 

So, as much as I want to keep Iglesias right where he is, I do see the value of keeping both players for now and sending Iglesias back to Pawtucket.   Remember, Drew only has a one year contract, so clearly the Sox think Iglesias is the answer long term. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

S. Drew will make this team better, as he's a proven MLB SS. Iggy needs to prove he can hit MLB ptiching, and his hitting chart shows he's overmatched. I can't wait for the S. Drew era to begin!

Well thats a fine attitude Softlaw! Glad you had a change of heart. Just one small correction: its not the hitting chart that shows that historically Iggy has been overmatched by any pitching higher than the A ball level, its his OPS. I would love to see him play in the majors once he earns it.

I know it is hard to deal with Softy's sarcasm, but it is really ridiculous to say that a guy who had a good spring, and is hitting over .400 in the first 7 games of the season while prociding stellar SS defense hasnt earned the right to continue paling in the majors until he hits some magical # at AAA!! I understand why Drew at 9.5mm will get his shot at being the starting SS, and why Iggy will be sent down so he can continue to play everyday.....but I really think some people need to jump off the Iggy isnt ready for Majors bandwagon.

Iggy deserves a shot, but he wont get it when Drew is getting paid what he is.  that is just the business of pro sports.  Drew is a decent SS and should do fine.

It has less to do with the money involved and more to do with Iggy proving he can hit a baseball consistently. Apparently the FO is not yet convinced of that either, or they wouldn't have gone out and obtained our premium SS. Lets see how Iggy fares by July. I hope he does well enough so that Drew becomes a trade chip. If he doesn't, it will be a good thing we have Drew.

How does going down to AAA and hitting AAA pitching at say a .700 OPS for 250 PA prove that he can hit Major League pitching consistently? It doesnt.....in my opinion what heas shown in the "small sample size", plus what he looks like a t the plate, plus what his approach has been proves to me that he can hit enough to warrant that glove being on the field and I would bet the Sox pitchers feel the same way. As I said I understand why you give Drew his shot....you paid him 9.5MM ....he has had some very good success at the ML level.....and he as yet to play a regular season game with the Sox to prove he cant perform well with us....they may be the reasons Iggy gets sent down...not because he needs to prove at AAA that he can hit ML pitching.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

How does going down to AAA and hitting AAA pitching at say a .700 OPS for 250 PA prove that he can hit Major League pitching consistently? It doesnt.....in my opinion what heas shown in the "small sample size", plus what he looks like a t the plate, plus what his approach has been proves to me that he can hit enough to warrant that glove being on the field and I would bet the Sox pitchers feel the same way. As I said I understand why you give Drew his shot....you paid him 9.5MM ....he has had some very good success at the ML level.....and he as yet to play a regular season game with the Sox to prove he cant perform well with us....they may be the reasons Iggy gets sent down...not because he needs to prove at AAA that he can hit ML pitching.

The point is that he hasn't even proven that he can hit AAA pitching yet. In nearly 800 PAs his OPS is below .600 there. If he cannot hit AAA pitching how can anyone reasonably expect him to hit ML pitching consistently? First you prove you can do it at the AAA level, then you are given a shot at the ML level. As I said, for me it has less to do with how much Drew is being paid and more to do with Iggy proving he can hit a baseball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Hope to see you soon, you are one he!! of a GLOVE MAN, and your hitting will get better & better........    As DAD would say............  "SON, this world is not always fair, 9.5MIL speaks volumes"  !!!

It's simply amazing....  I been on here 1 month longer but 13,000 posts less than this windbag,  yet I am here EVERY day to read talented posts....  and yours are NOT!!

Two more things young lady .......   1/ For such a lousey post, it's getting a lot of GOOD PLAY.......  2/ You also need to know, that you are talking to the "2012 POSTER OF THE YEAR" on this board !!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

more to do with Iggy proving he can hit a baseball.

Folks, this guy knows his stuff. Iggy has yet to prove he can hit a baseball. Now, S. Drew, he's a proven slugger at a position that needs good slugging. No need to worry if S. Drew is washed up defensively and season long can't handley the load on slugging, S. Drew passed the medical exams.

Let the S. Drew era begin. I doubt Iggy every proves he can hit a baseball.

SOFTY, are you OK, SON ????   I can't continue to cover for you over some of these "scratch the head" type comments    !!!!!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Gomes and Drew will platoon at DH and Iggy and Drew will also share times at SS at the same time until Ortiz is in the lineup.  All three, Gomes, Drew, and Iggy, will get a rest time to time.  Upon Drew's return, JBJ will be sent down to AAA to create a spot for Drew.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Satire, Bill, ask Dad about it;)

I KNOW ......Money Mouth....... Just trying to "fire up the base"  !!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Satire, Bill, ask Dad about it;)

I KNOW ......Money Mouth....... Just trying to "fire up the base"  !!!!

You also need to know, that you are talking to the "2012 POSTER OF THE YEAR" on this board !!!

I wanna see your trophy!!!

LOL!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

more to do with Iggy proving he can hit a baseball.

Folks, this guy knows his stuff. Iggy has yet to prove he can hit a baseball. Now, S. Drew, he's a proven slugger at a position that needs good slugging. No need to worry if S. Drew is washed up defensively and season long can't handley the load on slugging, S. Drew passed the medical exams.

Let the S. Drew era begin. I doubt Iggy every proves he can hit a baseball.

I am thrilled that you are never to be swayed by the facts! Nonetheless, here are a few more for you to chew on:

Stephen Drew career MAJOR LEAGUE OPS: .762

Jose Iglesias career AAA OPS: .589

Jose Iglesias career MAJOR LEAGUE OPS: .541

You know, thinking this through logically, you are absolutely right! Iggy is clearly ten times the slugger Drew ever was or ever will be! Don't let those OPS statistics confuse you even more than you are already confused. You can just watch Iggy's approach at the plate in his last 25 or so PAs and you can just tell that he has become a slugger at the major league level. It should be clear to everyone here that based on your expert assessment, Drew will fail miserably in Boston and will likely carry an OPS of under .500 for the rest of the year. Even though he has yet to play a single inning for this team during the regular season, its clear, based on your pontifications, that Drew stinks. Get rid of the bum!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This is an amusing debate.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

What I like is how you value the defense at SS. No doubt, slugging is the most important part of being an everyday SS. S. Drew has been one of the best starting SS's in the business for a long time. Just ask all those GM who lost the bidding war to get this guy on a one year contract.

Decisions on the starting SS should be based on OPS, no doubt.

Incorrect. Slugging is ONE factor I look for in my SS; the other is defense. I have said many times here that Iggy is a MUCH better defensive SS than Drew. Therefore, if Iggy can just manage an OPS of .700 or so he can play on my team. What I DID say is that Drew is an adequate SS defensively and can also hit the baseball. Iggy's offensive shortcomings do not compensate IMO for his defensive genius, not yet. At least he has not proven it yet.

Sections
Shortcuts