So Lucchino and Francona didn't get along

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

So Lucchino and Francona didn't get along

Some interesting tidbits from Aberham today. Francona was ready to quit over Manny, gave Dave Jauss a check for a full playoff share, and Lucchino wouldn't call him by his first name.

This book is going have an interesting response from the owners.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: So Lucchino and Francona didn't get along

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Good help is hard to find. Ownership paid a lot of money for a whiny old man who couldn't accept responsibility for not doing his job.

I don't know how any can't not find fault in the way the ownership handled Francons. You just don't do to people who brought you more success than any other manager in baseball while dealing with all that drama created mostly by three grown men.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Owners pay for the players and the manager to do a job. End of story. Pitiful to have Tito whining as his loser player leadership and he fail to do what they were paid a fortune to do.

You going to get your book autographed??? How about that ending to your stories... Loser !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This convinces me the Luchino was still meddling last year in the clubhouse and it is why the whole "mole" thing came up. Clearly the players felt like they were being spied on or their lockers bugged....  certainly the FO is quite the corporate machine (see: The Firm (with Tom Cruise).

Unsurprised. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

This convinces me the Luchino was still meddling last year in the clubhouse and it is why the whole "mole" thing came up. Clearly the players felt like they were being spied on or their lockers bugged....  certainly the FO is quite the corporate machine (see: The Firm (with Tom Cruise).

Unsurprised. 

I love it when peope equate real situations with movies. lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Some interesting tidbits from Aberham today. Francona was ready to quit over Manny, gave Dave Jauss a check for a full playoff share, and Lucchino wouldn't call him by his first name.

This book is going have an interesting response from the owners.

LUCCIANOS, as Bill Bellichek would say.......  "Is what he is" !!!!   As Dad would say...... "SON, LUCCIANOS IS A SMOOTH OPERATOR" !!!!  Yes, we all heard LUCCIANNOS may times disrespect TITO many times......  Tito had the best run of any manager in RED SOX history, 8 years and he got out alive with the FULL RESPECT OF RED SOX NATION !!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Unsurprised. 

While I would be shy to use the word "convinced", I do agree that the statements lend credibility towards the supposition of your post.

It was time for Theo to go, it was time for Francona to go, and it may be time for Larry to go.  There really is no such thing as a long-term secure job managing/coaching sports.  Its unfortunate, but a reality.

I would have tried to pry Duquette back from Baltimore; however, that no longer appears to be an option (recently extended).  There were some things that Luchhino did very well.  Embracing 80 years of falling short to create a "perceived brothership" among RS fans was brilliant marketing.  As was the branding of Red Sox Nation.  He furthered intertwined RS history and Boston culture.  I think its quite obvious where Luchhino's strengths are.  Marketing/branding.  However, his fatal flaw is that he wont let the people who he hires do their jobs (his meddling dates back many years).

Again, I wouldnt say that I'm convinced of this.  However, everything that I read supports your theory.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I dont know Luchino from a hole in the wall. My job however has put me in a same room with him 2 times (with maybe 75-100 other people as well, mostly all media)

He is very, very smart, and some what arrogant about it. To be nice, Tito isnt so smart, and also has a very large ego. Put 2 and 2 together, and you can see the disconnect 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Owners are not simple check writers. They run the organization and make decisions that affect every level of the organization. Their job does not begin and end at paying employees. They wield the ultimate power in the organization and the results of that organization are their responsibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

apparently St. Francona didnt like many people in Boston....even the players he inherited that won him titles...starting with management...and

pedro, curt, manny, nomar...all backstabbed by francona in his book

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I dont know Luchino from a hole in the wall. My job however has put me in a same room with him 2 times (with maybe 75-100 other people as well, mostly all media)

He is very, very smart, and some what arrogant about it. To be nice, Tito isnt so smart, and also has a very large ego. Put 2 and 2 together, and you can see the disconnect 

get out...Francona isnt the sharpest tool in the shed? Who wouldve thunk that?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

From some excerpts that I read, it seems that lucchino and henry were more concerned with NESN's plummeting ratings. They wanted more of a soap opera reality TV and "sexier" players instead of guys who could actually play winning baseball. Francona didn't agree, and rightfully so.

I dont know, the book states one side of the story. Winning equates ratings. I would have to think if the RS were in the thick of a pennant race, Beckett/Lester were pitching lights out, Agon and CC were hitting like crazy, etc...the team would have record ratings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

drewski yes we all know that most offices, and big corporations have their spies and rats throughout the buidling. Happens every day. If the FO is so concerned about turning the team into a reality show for ratings it plays right into my theory. The cell-phone call last year to get a players meeting with the brass was another example of foul play in terms of a nosey big Boss upstairs at Fens.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

How many here get along with their boss?  

I have to get along with mine because he is sponsoring my visa.   LOL

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to HelloItsMeAgain1's comment:

From some excerpts that I read, it seems that lucchino and henry were more concerned with NESN's plummeting ratings. They wanted more of a soap opera reality TV and "sexier" players instead of guys who could actually play winning baseball. Francona didn't agree, and rightfully so.

ha! as they say, from out of the mouth of babe! you hit the nail right on the head man. As for the most shocking stuff, I would really like to know who the individual was that totally threw tito under the bus when they ran running to the owners to say that tito was popping perc's which according to the report was the one issue that really "hurt" tito.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

apparently St. Francona didnt like many people in Boston....even the players he inherited that won him titles...starting with management...and

pedro, curt, manny, nomar...all backstabbed by francona in his book

Funny.  I didn't take you for such a sucker.  You read the juicy tid-bits extracted from the book intended to titilate and assume that is the essence of his take on these guys.

Now, I haven't read the book, so, not wanting to appear foolish ..., I reserve my judgement.  But, I am willing to bet he says a lot of good and interesting things about his charges for every bad thing he says.  But, what fun would that be to put in an article about the book?

But take it and run with it i guess.  Its as easy as pretending your loverboy Bobby has gone out taking the high road.

Sections
Shortcuts