So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

So now I'm suppose...

Good to see, but still doesnt change my opinion on either guy. Daisuke has still been a signing the Sox would like to have back and Lackey is still mediocre at best. The Angels without Kendry Morales? Not a terrible team, but still not a great lineup.

Sorry, but I'll see how these guys are doing in three months to decide if they've really turned it around or not.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full yea...

How about just rooting for their success because they play for the Red Sox? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full yea...

In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to:
    Posted by losmediasrojas

Wow what a shortsighted statement. So you just love everyone and everything Red Sox? Sounds like something my sister would say. Everyone on this board is acting like they've somehow been assured that these guys have both completely turned it around and will be great pitchers from here on out of their contracts... I'd expect a little more from you losmediasrojas...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

You don't have to do anything as a matter of fact no one asked you to be in love with anything. So yeah why don't you just root for the team and not try to get over worked by business decisions. I am guessing your an expert at picking the right stocks, you love your accountant and never made a decision that didn't pan out as well as you hoped.

People like to look for positives and talk about guys turning the corner and get into mid-season form. Why do you have to make something so enjoyable so much of a downer?

I love to see Dice-K and Lackey pitch well, but I am not convinced this can be kept up all year, however there are some good signs with Dice-K's whip lately and he is attacking the hitter. Lackey usually pitches well with run support, but at times is always letting calls get to his head and then he makes just one wrong pitch to make it all fall apart. Young has done a great job with these guys, I LOVE it!(to quote TO)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Where did I say I wasnt rooting for them? What Im saying is 2 good starts doesnt mean theyre off the hook as struggling pitchers that are suddenly All-Stars. Shouldnt act like 2 good starts equal their contract value like some people seem to be acting like

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It has been a nice couple of turns around the rotation though, hasn't it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to:
    In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to : Wow what a shortsighted statement. So you just love everyone and everything Red Sox? Sounds like something my sister would say. Everyone on this board is acting like they've somehow been assured that these guys have both completely turned it around and will be great pitchers from here on out of their contracts... I'd expect a little more from you losmediasrojas...
    Posted by fireballer58

"Love" might be too strong a word to describe my relationship to a baseball organziation, which constitutes not much more than laundry with a "B" on it, but I do try to enjoy something I devote my time to.  Your sister is a lot wiser than you are, and a lot less miserable too.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to : "Love" might be too strong a word to describe my relationship to a baseball organziation, which constitutes not much more than laundry with a "B" on it, but I do try to enjoy something I devote my time to.  Your sister is a lot wiser than you are, and a lot less miserable too.   
    Posted by losmediasrojas

Body Slam!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

I

n Response to So now I'm supposed to love Lackey and Matsuzaka because of two great games? Hell no, how about they do it for a full year like theyre supposed to:
    Good to see, but still doesnt change my opinion on either guy. Daisuke has still been a signing the Sox would like to have back and Lackey is still mediocre at best. The Angels without Kendry Morales? Not a terrible team, but still not a great lineup. Sorry, but I'll see how these guys are doing in three months to decide if they've really turned it around or not.
    Posted by fireballer58

pes.si.mism  \'pes-e-,miz-em\ n [Fpessimisme, fr. L pessimus worst]  : an inclination to take the least favorable view (as of events)  or to expect the worst possible outcome _

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

How is rooting for the players on the team you are a fan of short-sighted?  Seems like what a fan does, to me.  And it requires a commitment and faith that both suggest long-term views.

No one here is claiming Dice-K and Lackey have earned their contracts with their last two starts.  But those starts prove that they have value and can win games.  Two things their detractors said they did not have and could not do.  That is the absolutism more moderate fans have had to endure reading here, in the 13 games starting out the season.  Lackey and Dice-K are busts and must go, will never live up to their contracts, yada, yada, yada.  NOW THAT WAS SHORT-SIGHTED!!!!!!!!!!! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Posted by losmediasrojas

That's spot on.  The TV turns on and root for the guy on the mound.  Some will be overpaid and some underpaid.  Such is life.  I'm the supposed to be the calculator guy, and I don't sit there comparing all the nickels and dimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'm sure trying to change your opinion of them is high on their list.

As far as earning their contracts, how does any MLBer claim to do that?  I'm happy when the win.

This thread completely misses the point.  The Sox rotation is starting to pitch as advertised and that's a very scary thing.  Every starter is more than capable of pitching a shut out.  There is no easy game for opponents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Players are who they are no matter what price tag you put on them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox have won 8 out of their last 9 games and some of you are still bashing them?  

Did some of you just had a bad weekend?  

Bruins won, Celtics won, etc. come on guys.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Every season is different.  Last year we expected the pitching to be pretty good and the hitting, given the departure of Jason Bay who led the Sox in rbi's in 2009, not so good.  But it was the hitting that brought the Sox back before Pedroia, then Youkilis, were hurt.  And the pitching stayed mostly bad for the whole season.  Still the Sox won 89 games, but missed the playoffs.

This year expectations were reversed.  Pitching was the concern, and the hitting was supposed to be fantastic with two new bats--CC and A-Gon--and the return of three familiar ones (Pedroia, Youk, Ellsbury).  As it turned out, both were lousy, but especially the pitching.  Then the pitching suddenly turned completely around, and even Lackey and Matsuzaka have pitched back to back gems.  Matsuzaka, in fact, pitched the two best back to back games in his MLB career. 

Meanwhile, the hitting, which still looks below expectations, has been generating enough runs to now be ranked 6th best in the AL.  Not great, but a vast improvement.  And there is really no star (yet) in this lineup.  They all still have something to prove. 

To me there is a lot more to celebrate than to disparage.  Fireballer58's skepticism might be justified, and I think he is missing the point. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Cheering for Dice-k and John Lackey now is like congratulating an obese person who goes on a diet and has stuck with it for two weeks. 

It's awesome that they've made a lifestyle change, and its commendable what they have done recently but it didn't take them 2 weeks to get obese, it took a year (dice-k took 2).  They could easily go running for the ho-ho's and jelly donuts next weekend, or they could stick to the plan.

So I'll give credit where credit is due, and so should everyone else, but I think people still have the right to be skeptical.  I've actually been a huge advocate of the ideal that John Lackey will have a better season, but Dice-K has taken me by surprise if he continues to pitch well as it is never a surprise when he pitches a good game, but it is a surprise when he pitches back to back good games........thats just not Dice-K ish. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

ya know, the way our team started out at the beginning of april the first two weeks was like a kick in the stomach to me. today is april 25th and we are a game away from getting to .500 and all I know is that the last nine games in a row our starting staff has an era of 0.88. tell me the truth Fireballer, in your wildest dreams did you ever think that this would be our situation today as I write this? me neither. you don't have to love lackey and dicek because of two games chum, but it sure brings a smile to my face over the fact that our team is moving forward in a positive direction and our pitching is looking better and better.....and paps is really starting to look like his old self.

go sox!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

At the very least, Dice-K and Lackey make it interesting.

And if you really wanted to be accurate, you'd throw Beckett into the mix.  All three are pitching really, really well after a sub par season.

I hate teams that are perfect out of the gate and stay perfect.  I like a little drama tossed in.  The Red Sox are the ultimate reality show.  It's much more interesting when they have difficulties to overcome.

03 and 04 are still my favorite seasons.  I was on the edge of my seat for so many games those 2 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

soxchemistry youre a moron... youd have to be a complete loser if you were to seek attention on an internet message board. and losmedias, you clearly dont care about baseball and the sox much if you think that criticism is never necessary... learn to be a real fan. hows venezuela

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

There's at least two types of people here:

-The ones who root for the team first, and cheer on all the players; hence if Player A is doing poorly, they continue to support him and hope for better things, and when Player A starts doing well again they celebrate his success; vs...

-The ones who are more haters than fans, who pick certain players to beat up on because they haven't met their expectations - so when Player A starts doing well, they still feel the need to bash him in order to justify themselves, rather than feeling good over his recent success with everyone else. They call themselves "real fans" for doing this.

Pretty clear which one the OP is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

dice k was 18-3 and was 4th in the cy young his second year...he has done it all year before...just be happy and enjoy this crazy starting pitching we are having...less than 1 era the last eight games or so

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from taz1956. Show taz1956's posts

What Idiots like Fireballer do not understand is that during the course of a baseball season players go through periods where they play great and other times where they struggle. How quickly they adapt and make corrections will determine how much success their total season will be. Little things like a hangnail can alter their performance enough to where the average viewer will scream bloody murder and demand a trade for what they believe is either a lack of trying or that suddenly the skills have left the player. Many times a hitter is going great, hitting everything in sight only to have little to show for it as his hits go right at somebody. Another problem is the feeling of entitlement by the fans because of the money we spend. If you do not like the product then move on and don’t waste everybody else’s time with your crying. This is a game, played by men where out of 32 teams there can be only one champion each year. If you plan on getting emotionally involved, great, but expect more disappointment from the outcome at the end of the season. From that disappointment will grow expectations as the new season draws nearer and if all you want to do is analyze then you are in for the rollercoaster of your life. Most of all enjoy the game and let the experts who run the team do their job because whether you know it or not they are a lot smarter than most of the fans and have knowledge of things that we do not that can make or break a season.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

I'd be surprised if Dice-K puts together a full season of greatness.  He's yet to do that (even the 18-4 year wasn't nearly as good as the record looked; WHIP was high and he got lucky to get out of lots of jams).  Lackey I expect to be solid, ERA somewhere around 4.  That's not bad in the AL East...

Sections
Shortcuts