So Send Middlebrooks Down Already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

So Send Middlebrooks Down Already

Even the press is now questioning keeping Middlebrooks on the bench (5 out of 6 games) instead of sending him down to Pawtucket to play every day. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: So Send Middlebrooks Down Already

We will be facing at least 4 RHP in a row, and Drew has been starting to hit again and make good contact. He usually goes on a bit of a run at the plate when that starts happening. And Iggy has earned his playing time even if he was 0-3 yesterday.

Now might be a good time to send him down and then maybe return after the trade deadline or if an injury occurs. He NEEDS to get AB's.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Who takes his place? They have no one better than him at AAA. Bogaerts isnt ready.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

Who takes his place? They have no one better than him at AAA. Bogaerts isnt ready.

How do you know he isn't ready?  some scouts think he may be able to help the big league club now

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Even the press is now questioning keeping Middlebrooks on the bench (5 out of 6 games) instead of sending him down to Pawtucket to play every day. 

Even the press???

Say it ain't so!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

Even the press???

Say it ain't so!!

[/QUOTE]

The Boston press going negative on one of our players? I never heard of such a thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm going to go out on the limb and say WMB gets sent down within the next couple days.  He has too much talent to sit, and is struggling to much to start every day in Boston.   I was an advocate for letting him ride it out, but playing him like this will either ruin him or prolong this "slump" he is in. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

How do you know he isn't ready?  some scouts think he may be able to help the big league club now

[/QUOTE]

The problem with bringing Bogaerts up is that I would think he needs to get his at bats as much as Middlebrooks does.  Who else is available to call up?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sending Ciriaco away committed the Sox to keep Middlebrooks around at least for now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The problem with bringing Bogaerts up is that I would think he needs to get his at bats as much as Middlebrooks does.  Who else is available to call up?

[/QUOTE]

Unless Drew Sutton is still on the DL he should replace WMB. Unfortunately, Middlebrooks' stay in the majors is over. Eventually he might be able to return, but right now he needs some intensive coaching to repair the holes in his swing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Duplicate. This website is not working well at all.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying to call up Bogaerts right now.  I don't think you can plan on him being there at the end of the season, but I think the Sox hope he will be able to if they need him.  The WMB picture may be clearer later this year as well.  If WMB turns it on you can put him at 3B and Bogaerts can provide infield depth at all positions if need be, who knows if the sox think he is a SS they might start him and make Iglesias a super UIF.   I don't think the Sox have one concrete plan, I think they have a broad amorphous plan that takes into account that Bogaerts may very well have a place on this team at some capacity at some point during the second half of the year. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Unless Drew Sutton is still on the DL he should replace WMB. Unfortunately, Middlebrooks' stay in the majors is over. Eventually he might be able to return, but right now he needs some intensive coaching to repair the holes in his swing.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I just dont' think Sutton will be in Bostons system by the end of the year.  Iv'e seen him play a few times and he is very "ehh" and his defense is exactly what the scouting says on him "not very good at all" 

He could play 3B this year for the Red Sox, but I think they would go out of their way to find someone else to plug up there if they would have to rely on him every day.  And if the orginization feels that Boggy could help the team then I think he has definitely (or at least will very soon) passed Sutton on the depth chart. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but I just dont' think Sutton will be in Bostons system by the end of the year.  Iv'e seen him play a few times and he is very "ehh" and his defense is exactly what the scouting says on him "not very good at all" 

He could play 3B this year for the Red Sox, but I think they would go out of their way to find someone else to plug up there if they would have to rely on him every day.  And if the orginization feels that Boggy could help the team then I think he has definitely (or at least will very soon) passed Sutton on the depth chart. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Sutton is not very good-but he is a better choice than WMB for two reasons: first, he will hit the baseball better in the short term and second, WMB is potentially our future 3B and sorely needs some intensive coaching in the minors to fix his swing. Boggy was just promoted to AAA and hasn't played much 3B at all. He too would benefit from some time in the minors this year. Its all about the future now, probably 2015. I would rather finish in fourth place this year and expect to compete for a ring consistently starting in two years than sacrifice our future in a fruitless attempt to make the playoffs this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Sutton is not very good-but he is a better choice than WMB for two reasons: first, he will hit the baseball better in the short term and second, WMB is potentially our future 3B and sorely needs some intensive coaching in the minors to fix his swing. Boggy was just promoted to AAA and hasn't played much 3B at all. He too would benefit from some time in the minors this year. Its all about the future now, probably 2015. I would rather finish in fourth place this year and expect to compete for a ring consistently starting in two years than sacrifice our future in a fruitless attempt to make the playoffs this year.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand, why would we be sacrficing the future? I'm not suggesting trading away any prospects.  But the ends I agree with, we have a very good chance to make this team good not just for this year but for years to come.

But I totally disagree with Drew Sutton.  I'd bet he's not in the system by the end of the year,  he's just not that good of a MLB player.  I agree that WMB needs regular at-bats but we have better options than brining up Sutton.

If Bogaerts is hitting very well come August first and lets say Drew is traded and/or maybe Napoli goes down.  the Sox are very likely going to give Bogaerts his shot.  Sutton would make more sense right now! but that isn't going to happen because Drew/Iglesias are going to lock down SS/3B for the next month. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand, why would we be sacrficing the future? I'm not suggesting trading away any prospects.  But the ends I agree with, we have a very good chance to make this team good not just for this year but for years to come.

But I totally disagree with Drew Sutton.  I'd bet he's not in the system by the end of the year,  he's just not that good of a MLB player.  I agree that WMB needs regular at-bats but we have better options than brining up Sutton.

If Bogaerts is hitting very well come August first and lets say Drew is traded and/or maybe Napoli goes down.  the Sox are very likely going to give Bogaerts his shot.  Sutton would make more sense right now! but that isn't going to happen because Drew/Iglesias are going to lock down SS/3B for the next month. 

[/QUOTE]

Both WMB and Boggy need coaching at the AAA level to prepare them to be part of the future of the Red Sox. Besides Boggy then, who else could replace WMB at third? It would have to be someone who is not likely to need more coaching in the minors. Sutton, as you said, probably not going to be around for long. So why not bring him up to plug the hole and allow our future potential stars to get the coaching they need?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I think Middy needs a stretch back in AAA.  We should send him down and "like Youk" give him some playing time at 1B to see how he does.  I don't think Nap, who is on pace for 200 K's is our answer moving forward at 1B either. 

Middy is young and has time to develop more offensively.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Brock Holt can play 3b, SS or 2b as a UI, or Brandon Snyder for 1b/3b. Iggy and Drew will cover the left side for now. Theres no reason to think Bogey couldn't be in Boston before the year is out. Usually when a prospect dominated AA and are adjusting very well and producing in AAA at age 20, Theres no reason to think that he needs much more time in the minors. To see him play the game is different than just reading box scores or articles on him. Hes mature beyond his 20 yrs.

Hugh is right. They arent letting him play multiple positions if they didnt think that he might be able to help the team this year. In the long run, I really believe he will end up in LF but he still could be useful this year at 3b or SS. We'll see how it all unfolds over the next month or so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Both WMB and Boggy need coaching at the AAA level to prepare them to be part of the future of the Red Sox. Besides Boggy then, who else could replace WMB at third? It would have to be someone who is not likely to need more coaching in the minors. Sutton, as you said, probably not going to be around for long. So why not bring him up to plug the hole and allow our future potential stars to get the coaching they need?

[/QUOTE]

Because right now Iglesias is playing third and Drew is playing SS.  If you bring up Sutton to play third then who are you going to take at bats away from? Iggy???

and peronally I would rather show some confidence in WMB and plug him in the 9 hole until he comes around, but I don't even think it will come to that.  

If anything Sutton might get the call to be a UIF only because Holt may not be available and they decide that they will send down WMB...other wise I don't see that happening. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Brock Holt can play 3b, SS or 2b as a UI, or Brandon Snyder for 1b/3b. Iggy and Drew will cover the left side for now. Theres no reason to think Bogey couldn't be in Boston before the year is out. Usually when a prospect dominated AA and are adjusting very well and producing in AAA at age 20, Theres no reason to think that he needs much more time in the minors. To see him play the game is different than just reading box scores or articles on him. Hes mature beyond his 20 yrs.

Hugh is right. They arent letting him play multiple positions if they didnt think that he might be able to help the team this year. In the long run, I really believe he will end up in LF but he still could be useful this year at 3b or SS. We'll see how it all unfolds over the next month or so.

Exactly! if Bogaerts was a fringe prospect and being asked to play multiple positions then I would think "ok they are converting him into a UIF" because ultimately that's how they would view his MLB career.  No one on planet earth views Bogaerts as a potential utility man so they are asking him to play multiple positions because they are planning on at least maybe starting him somewhere on the diamond.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Because right now Iglesias is playing third and Drew is playing SS.  If you bring up Sutton to play third then who are you going to take at bats away from? Iggy???

and peronally I would rather show some confidence in WMB and plug him in the 9 hole until he comes around, but I don't even think it will come to that.  

If anything Sutton might get the call to be a UIF only because Holt may not be available and they decide that they will send down WMB...other wise I don't see that happening. 

I would take the ABs away from Drew, who is not part of our future. Iggy would be the starting SS, Drew would become the utility IF. Its all about the future. If you want to fully commit to it, send down WMB for some much needed coaching in a low pressure situation.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If it's all about the future you don't put a career fringe up/down MILB MLB player into a starting role.  There's a VERY good chance Will Middlebrooks gives you more production full time at 3B for the rest of the season than SUtton, even if WMB continutes to struggle.  I'm sorry I just don't see that happening, unless Iglesias or Drew goes down.  

Actually I still think if one of those guys goes down there is a very good chance Sutton still doesn't get called up.  I think you would need two infielders to go down for Sutton to get the call. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Farrell has proved that he will use the players that he feels will give the Sox the best chance to win. Drew is streaky, like most MLB players, but has proved over the years that he can and will hit. Hes already started to come out of it, taking some walks and making solid contact over the last few days. If Drew goes on another one of his runs theres no way Farrell will take him out of the lineup, even against LHP. When he gets hot, he can hit anyone. Plus, if they are considering trading him it would make more sense to play him FT. The left side of the IF is solid right now.

Some here may be playing for the future, but the FO and team are playing to win this year as well as thinking about the future. They certainly have more faith in this team than some here.

Sections
Shortcuts