So, What Pitchers Should the Red Sox have paid market value for?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: So, What Pitchers Should the Red Sox have paid market value for?

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

If you don't comment with specific names that you would pay FA market or trade market price which are now paint by numbers known for most of the FA and trade SP MLBTR names, I'll assume you agree with the current 2013 Red Sox starting pitching staff.

And we can just assume you don't agree as you have never in my memory ever agreed with anything the Red Sox have ever done.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i wanted Dan Haren and Kyle Loshe..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Grienke...young enough to be worth the investment....would have stepped up all the other starters' games imo....unlike beckett who drove the common denominator downward

and when i count up all the useless contracts (honestly did we need D Ross, Gomes, and Drew for over 20 million this year) we could have done more with less

Iggy should be given the chance to start...pedro c his backup..., we didnt need gomes.we have kalish....that money shouldve been slotted for at least sanchez at 15 mil....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

These are the SPs who have signed for other teams thus far that I wish we had gotten (even if overpaid somewhat): (Sidenote: maybe not both at once)

1) McCarthy $15.5M/2

2) Colon $3M/1

Here are the pitchers I would not have paid the amount they got, but were the best of the rest, in terms of value per cost:

1) Maholm       $6.5M/1 (Close: I'd have given $5M/1 or $9M/2)

2) Haren         $13M/1   (Close: I'd have given $11M/1)

3) A Sanchez  $80M/5   (I'd have given $58M/4- maybe $62M/4 if I thought we could win a ring in 2013)

4) Dempster  $26.5M/2 (Nope)

5) Guthrie      $25M/3    (I'd have offered $10M/2)

6) Greinke      $147M/6 (NO WAY!)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I don't think it makes a diiference who they do, did or didn't sign.

Next year is strictly a rebuilding year.  Actually, sadly, it's the first year in my life(and I've been around a few) that I haven't felt 'connected' or able to 'identify' with the team.

It's the season after this coming one that you guys who are into it should be thinkig about.

Sigh....I miss the times when there was less player movement between/among teams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:

ADG wants an apology from for the personal attack thread started by Carnie today. Carnie must be in bed with J-Bay in order to get away with all of these violations of forum rules. Shame on you Carnie . You seem to be vert intolerant of the forum simpletons and whiners in the last week. Try to be nicer during the Christmas season.

And yet I've never been banned and you can't seem to hold onto a moniker for more than 100 posts. Go figure. Actually I kind of wish I would get banned. I think it's about time for carnie 2.0. Oh and I'll apologize to ADG when he either stops whining or apologizes to me for the personal attack thread he started about me a couple of weeks ago. Where was your outrage then pike?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

McCarthy signed a 2-year, $15 million deal with Arizona.  Boston should have signed him instead. 

I really hope Boston signs Marcum but I doubt it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If you don't comment with specific names that you would pay FA market or trade market price which are now paint by numbers known for most of the FA and trade SP MLBTR names, I'll assume you agree with the current 2013 Red Sox starting pitching staff.

Both Sanchez and McCarthy period.  Our team is going to be as bad or worse than last season with Lackey and Dempster.  If this happens I really hope Henry sells the team or dumps his brain trust ASAP.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

I don't think it makes a diiference who they do, did or didn't sign.

Next year is strictly a rebuilding year.  Actually, sadly, it's the first year in my life(and I've been around a few) that I haven't felt 'connected' or able to 'identify' with the team.

It's the season after this coming one that you guys who are into it should be thinkig about.

Sigh....I miss the times when there was less player movement between/among teams.

^^^What he said^^^^  Especially the bold part.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

2 @ 13 is defendable.  THis probably makes Dempster the only FA pitcher I would have considered.  I know a lot of people are going to say Marcum, but I dont trust 88 MPH fastballs in the AL East.  McCarthy;s shoulder is shot and that hit off the head was vicious.

A trade of practically nothing for Haren was yanked after a physical.  Ew, ew, and ew.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Maybe 2 @ 13 for Marcum after a closer look, although he'll prob get more yrs.  His BABIPagainst was .285 showing some bad luck.  His career avg is .285.  I guess this could be the sign of getting less sink and therefore less groundouts.

His career .711 OPSagainst is very impressive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Maybe 2 @ 13 for Marcum after a closer look, although he'll prob get more yrs.  His BABIPagainst was .285 showing some bad luck.  His career avg is .285.  I guess this could be the sign of getting less sink and therefore less groundouts.

His career .711 OPSagainst is very impressive.

Marcum has good numbers, but he's supposedly not the greatest teammate around and he's been called "uncoachable."  He definitely doesn't fit the Sox profile of trying to build a "team" again, especially after last years train wreck of a clubhouse.

The Sox never really considered McCarthy for the reasons you mentioned, and he supposedly didn't want to pitch on the east coast.  With Lackey coming off TJ surgery and Doubront coming off a year with a significant innings increase, they needed someone who could give them 200 innings, and McCarthy is definitely not that guy.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, we hvae these poster who have acquired:

Moon:  McCarthy for 31 million over 2 years and Colon (coming off suspension)  for 3 million over 1 year 

You are the biggest idiot in this big world.

Please stop even trying to resspond to my posts anymore. You can't read. You can't add. You can't make any sense whatsoever.

I said Mccarthy at $15.5M/2. That means $15.5 Million divuded by 2 years of service. That is not $31M over 2 years: it is $15.5M over 2 years.

What a clown you are!

(BTW, you wanted Colon last year- before the suspension.)

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Obviously we should have gone after Jeremy Guthrie on a minor league deal.  Unfortunately KC outbid that by nearly $25mill.  Silly Royals.

If Kevin Correia is getting $10mill over 2 years, Dempster for $26mill over 2 is not so bad...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So, we hvae these poster who have acquired:

Moon:  McCarthy for 31 million over 2 years and Colon (coming off suspension)  for 3 million over 1 year    Total of 18.5 million spent for McCarthey and Colon for 2013

Craze: A. Sanchez & McCarthy at 105.5 million and total 31.5 million for 2013

IceCream: McCarthy for 31 million and Marcum ? (Likely 10M x 2) 25 million for 2013

Me: Loshe ( will likely get at least 2 years and base 13) Haren 13M = 26 million for 2013

George: A Sanchez and Grienke = 227 million and 41.5 million for 2013

Drew:  Dempster for 26.5 million and 13.25 million for 2013 (Marcum will get more)

Softlaw: MLB contract offers to Saunders 1 year @ 2M and minor league contract offers to Bedard, Harden, Lowe, J. Sanchez, Lowe and Wang with a max budget for 2 on MLB roster at a total budget of 6M, and if any of these value offers are not market offers then my 2013 rotation is:

Lester

Buchholz

Lackey

Doubrant

Tazawa, Morales, (1 or 2 from Saunders, Bedard, Harden, Lowe, J. Sanchez, Lowe, Wang)

AAA/AA Webster or De La Rosa

I like the poster who wanted to open up the bank and spend over 200 million for Grienke and A. Sanchez and the poster who wanted to spend over 100 million for Sanchez and McCarthy

The spending set looks like this, from high to low:

227 million for Grienke and A. Sanchez (George)

105.5 million for A. Sanchez and McCarthy (Craze)

51 million for McCarthy and Marcum (IceCream)

39 million for Loshe and Haren  (Me)

34 million for McCarthey and Colon  (Moonslav)

26.5 million for Dempster (Drew)

0 to 6 million for Zero to 2 from MLF offer to Saunders and minor leauge offers to Bedard, Harden, Lowe, J. Sanchez, Lowe and Wang (Softlaw)

It's going to be interesting to see how Grienke, A. Sanchez McCarthy, Loshe, Haren, Marcum and Dempster turn out. I avoided these guys like the plague.

I think if you reread the above names and total guranteed, these posters might decide to remember Carl Crawford, Bobby Jenks and John Lackey, once prized FA. 

Bedard and Harden can barely last a season between them.  Their IP in August/September, when these guys are usually needd most, will not be much more than mine.

Jonathan Sanchez on a minor league deal is an absolute, something I recommended in that really long pitching thread about too much time, etc.  Also, Chien Ming Wang and Chris Young  are excellent MiLB candidates, something that should not be ignored.

Of course, this team does need a little bit more that just depth,

Not sure why Softlaw wants Derek Lowe so much to name him twice. Unless it was once for his arm and once for his potato salad gut. And on top of that, this guy is pushing Wastefield age...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Isnt it past your bedtime softy???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

My moves would be based off the entire idea that 2013 was a rebuilding year.... and by chance if the team was in contention come July it would be only at the arms of Lester, Clay, Lackey, Bailey and the offense of Ellesbury, Pedroia, and Ortiz. At that point maybe you go get help....

more importantly if Lester, Lackey, or Elles are performing well and team (as expected) is barely in the race I am moving them out to aquire whatever pieces I can for 2014-2018, pitchers in particular. 

So what pitchers would I have acquired in terms of starters? None. We have more #5's than any team out there.

I would have looked for some middle relief pieces only. 

Sections
Shortcuts