SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........

As fresh as the pen was, if you trot out a fresh arm every inning for 7 innings, you pen won't be in a good place going forward.

Realistically, you aren't going to get someone up after 2 walks.  When he walked the third guy, ok that raises something of a flag, at the 4th walk Bowden should have gotten the call to get loose quick.  I didn't actually see when the call was made, but he was up and throwing by the time the 5th batter was walked.

Maybe Aceves was trying to make Miller's control look good?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........:
       HE WALKED 5 IN A ROW ???  AND WHAT WAS MY BOY TITO THINKING WHEN HE LEFT HIM OUT THERE?? HECK, OUR PEN WAS WELL RESTED, WE COULD HAVE TROTTED OUT A FRESH ARM EVERY INNING !!!   WHAT SAY YOU ???
    Posted by Bill-806

It happens, Aceves had a Dice K. night.  I still like his contribution and value to our club.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........:
    In Response to Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........ :   ME TOO !!! WE COULD/SHOULD HAVE STILL WON THAT GAME.... OH WELL, WE WILL BE OUT THERE AGAIN TODAY. IT'S A FUN CLUB TO WATCH !!!
    Posted by Bill-806

We should have Bill, we had our chances and just couldn't get the runners across.  It's one loss and there will be others.  Not a big deal but I do wish we had a better bullpen.  It amazes me that a lot less fortunate teams find these relievers for basically nothing and we can't.  It's been a weakness of our team over the years and maybe something that should be re-evaluated by management.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........ : We should have Bill, we had our chances and just couldn't get the runners across.  It's one loss and there will be others.  Not a big deal but I do wish we had a better bullpen.  It amazes me that a lot less fortunate teams find these relievers for basically nothing and we can't.  It's been a weakness of our team over the years and maybe something that should be re-evaluated by management.
    Posted by craze4sox

I think the Bullpen is eveluated all the time..Its a crapshoot from year to year and when u find an arm that is somewhat stable, you ride him til hes not..I think its the same for most teams..TB hit the jackpot last year with Soriano and Benoit..If we could all be that lucky every year..It was tough losing Hill because Hottovy is just not as good..Wheeler and jenks have not been as advertised..Bottom line..besides a closer and maybe having an 8th inning guy, it is what it is...Guys who arent good enough to be starters or closers usually due to inconsistencies from year to year..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........:
       HE WALKED 5 IN A ROW ???  AND WHAT WAS MY BOY TITO THINKING WHEN HE LEFT HIM OUT THERE?? HECK, OUR PEN WAS WELL RESTED, WE COULD HAVE TROTTED OUT A FRESH ARM EVERY INNING !!!   WHAT SAY YOU ???
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill you know better than that me thinks you were stirring the pot.  BTW he had Bowden up at the 4th walk. If you remember the 5th walk was a battle of 11 pitches 5 which were damn good and Headley fouled off each of them. Funny Ortiz did that the night before and got a SO. Headley does the same thing and it is Aceves fault?????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I think at this point you have quite a few things going on.  One, the rotation has some gaping holes in it right now, and Aceves needs to be able to be plugged in there.  Two, I fully expect Francona wanted to see what Aceves would do after he royally screwed up.  I don't think he has had a time before this year where he has really messed up that big, or that many times consequetively.  Third.  We have Aceves, Wake, and Lackey who are all question marks of different degrees (and honestly Lester, who just seems to be "off" lately).  You never know when the pen is going to need to be heavily relied upon, even, possibly, for a few game stretch.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I blame Beckett for this loss. Why was he scratched? Because Tek was not catching that's why.
    God forbid Tek gets hurt and misses the rest of the year. Beckett will have to go on permanent DL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

All I have to say is, "where is Bill Lee when you really need him?"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Aceves had a bad inning a put it back together again..Theres something to be said for not totally melting down like a lot of guys wouldve done. Wake has been a blessing so far this year..I agree Lesters record is not revealing the true performance..hes had like 7 or 8 runs for support a game. Miller did well for start 1, Philly will be the real test..Beckett is fine and I think with a litte rest, Buch will be fine. Buchs pitching has been good so far this year IMO. Overall Id be somewhat concerned with middle relief though..Not sold on Hottovy or Bowden yet and wheeler has been nothing short of a dissapointment so far..there is concern there..Hill was a big loss IMO..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Aceves had a bad inning a put it back together again..Theres something to be said for not totally melting down like a lot of guys wouldve done. Wake has been a blessing so far this year..I agree Lesters record is not revealing the true performance..hes had like 7 or 8 runs for support a game. Miller did well for start 1, Philly will be the real test..Beckett is fine and I think with a litte rest, Buch will be fine. Buchs pitching has been good so far this year IMO. Overall Id be somewhat concerned with middle relief though..Not sold on Hottovy or Bowden yet and wheeler has been nothing short of a dissapointment so far..there is concern there..Hill was a big loss IMO..
    Posted by southpaw777

Excluding the shutout loss early in the season, Aceves has had 7.8 run support while allowing 6.8 runs against. Some people think the Yanks made a mistake to rid themselves of him, but judging from his numbers, they may have made the right decision. Any pitcher would love to have that kind of run production behind them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I blame Beckett for this loss. Why was he scratched? Because Tek was not catching that's why. God forbid Tek gets hurt and misses the rest of the year. Beckett will have to go on permanent DL.
    Posted by Alibiike

You're joking right?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........ : Excluding the shutout loss early in the season, Aceves has had 7.8 run support while allowing 6.8 runs against. Some people think the Yanks made a mistake to rid themselves of him, but judging from his numbers, they may have made the right decision. Any pitcher would love to have that kind of run production behind them.
    Posted by Bralon

6.8 runs against?  Where did you get that number?  His ERA is 3.70.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: SO, WHAT WAS ACEVES THINKING LAST NIGHT WHEN........ : 6.8 runs against?  Where did you get that number?  His ERA is 3.70.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

you're right. don't ask me what I was thinking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Hate to say it, but last night was all on Gonzo.  He had an off night.  Haven't seen him have an off night like that before, so it was shocking.  Sox had ample opportunities to blow the game wide open.  His bobble cost the winning run. It was just not meant to be.

Aceves really did tough it out, which is great ... it could have been a lot worse.  He is still a great pickup, guess we give him a mulligan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Not going to the BP turned out to be a solid call. The RS had a day game following last night making it even harder to use guys today. Leaving Aceves in wasn't the determining factor.

The RS left a lot of guys on base last night. That is going to happen, when a team or a player (Adrian) has gone through a stretch where they hit better with RISP than their overall hitting performance, there are going to be games where that evens out. Hopefully the stretch isn't as long as it was in April... 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts