So Who is the Shortstop Against Lefties?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

So Who is the Shortstop Against Lefties?

With the dreadful average of Holt and with Drew hitting less than .200 against lefties for the season, doesn't it make sense for the Red Sox to bring up Bogaerts? They need a righty bat against lefties, especially after watching tonight's game against Petite, who has been one of the worst starters in baseball over the last month.

Bring up Bogearts for a spark for the next two days and go with 11 pitches. They can always send him down and bring up another pitcher once they head out west.

Lackey is a bulldog and probably will go 7 innings. 

Think out of the box and stick the kid in there for Saturday and Sunday.

Against lefties, Drew and Holt are toast.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: So Who is the Shortstop Against Lefties?

In response to ADG's comment:

With the dreadful average of Holt and with Drew hitting less than .200 against lefties for the season, doesn't it make sense for the Red Sox to bring up Bogaerts? They need a righty bat against lefties, especially after watching tonight's game against Petite, who has been one of the worst starters in baseball over the last month.

Bring up Bogearts for a spark for the next two days and go with 11 pitches. They can always send him down and bring up another pitcher once they head out west.

Well , it is not a lefty tomorrow. It is Kuroda. A righty and a very good one. Other than that , I agree that Bogaerts should be in Boston. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

You mean the shortstop that was 2 for 5 today? They arnt gonna platoon their fairly productive shortstop withssomeone they want to be a starter in the near future and hurt his development. Do you have any other terrible ideas?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

'hurt his development' ? come on man. Wether he hits or doesn't it won't hurt him.

I'm not worried about hurting his development because he's fragile. Then kid should be playing everyday until September callups. Drew seems to be in a pretty hot streak right now, so sitting him would be frankly a poor move in my opinion.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Soriano notwithstanding, it is rare when a single player can fix a lineup.  Last night we saw three fielding errors and at least two on the base paths, to say nothing of a pathetic start by Doubront.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Okay---the can of worms has been opened, numbers don't lie-they are what they are:

Drew--Vs. L Pitchers=.198 with 111 AB

R Pitchers= .278 with 212 AB

Xander- Vs. L Pitchers = .333 with 51 AB

R Pitchers =  .281 with 167 AB

WMB--Vs. L Pitchers= .254 with 71 AB

R Pitchers=  .191 with 152 AB

Salty-- Vs. L Pitchers = .211 with  95 AB

R. Pitchers = .289 with 242 AB

Lava--Vs.  L Pitchers  =  .269 with26 AB

R Pitchers  =  .294 with 34 AB

Holt----Vs. L Pitchers  =  .111 with 9 AB

R Pitchers  =   .220 with 50 AB

Nap-----Vs. L Pitchers =   .246 with 122 AB

R Pitchers =   .246 with 289 AB

So you form your own opinion but against RH pitchers I want Carp, Salty, Drew, Xander(3B) 

LH Pitchers I want Nap, Lava, Xander(SS), WMB

Carp----Vs. L Pitchers =   .273 with 22 AB

R Pitchers =   .313 with 144 AB

Simple enough moves----as Southie said,  move Bailey to the 60 DL and activate Xander.  Then either move Holt to AAA or send down a pitcher to make room in Boston for Xander.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

1.  You don't bring up Bogaerts unless he plays FULL TIME.

2.  Drew's BA against lefties is immaterial.  What is understated, however, is that in 122PA against LHP, he has 44 strikeouts.  (Drew has only 51 Ks in 246 PAs against RHP.)

3.  If fans are going to focus on splits against LHP, far and away the biggest disappointment would be Gomes, who is hitting .207 with a .730OPS against LHP.  And this is supposed to be his specialty...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to notin's comment:

2.  Drew's BA against lefties is immaterial.  What is understated, however, is that in 122PA against LHP, he has 44 strikeouts.  (Drew has only 51 Ks in 246 PAs against RHP.)

3.  If fans are going to focus on splits against LHP, far and away the biggest disappointment would be Gomes, who is hitting .207 with a .730OPS against LHP.  And this is supposed to be his specialty...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

Notin , I agree on Gomes---either Nava or Carp in LF with Gomes as a PH.

I agree on Xander---it appears he should be in at both 3 B and SS depending who's throwing. He may be a flop and have a start like JBJ but to give the Sox their best chance to win he needs to be in Boston. He can't be any worse than Holt, or WMB vs. RHanders.

It is discouaging as a fan to see position players like Myers and Machado playing key roles for our competition in the East and to know we have a kid who's close enough to being ready 60 miles down 95.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think I'd make the move.  The question I'd have to ask, without looking at Drew's splits, or WMB's, and without consideration as to the fact that they are hitting well, is simply, is Bogaerts better than Brock.  And would a promotion stunt his development.

I'd feel pretty comfortable at this point.  Assuming he'd be a September callup, then he misses 2 weeks of AAA BB, replaced by 2 weeks of scattered ML ABs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think I'd make the move.  The question I'd have to ask, without looking at Drew's splits, or WMB's, and without consideration as to the fact that they are hitting well, is simply, is Bogaerts better than Brock.  And would a promotion stunt his development.

I'd feel pretty comfortable at this point.  Assuming he'd be a September callup, then he misses 2 weeks of AAA BB, replaced by 2 weeks of scattered ML ABs.

In my estimation---he will play everyday or he won't be called up.

My only concern about Xander is his "D." He appears very confident that he can play good defense. I think being up here everyday playing 3 B or SS, pinch hitting, pinch running, working with Butterfield, Drew, Pedroia and getting lots of positive vibes from ShaVic, Gomes and Salty will be a real plus for his development.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I want Xander up. The problem with this team is if they send Holt down, they have no back up 2B. 

I would bring him up for these two Yankee games, stick him in there and see how he does. They can take a chance and short themselves a pitcher for two days. If he impresses, then take him out west. It would bring some fresh energy to Fenway for today and tomorrow night.

What they have isn't working now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

JF said this is the team that got us at this point and he's not going to make big changes...but I would bing Bogie up to be a reserve and get him in there slowly....who knows he might catch fire....at least he gives us some options...

As always - 100% correct!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Why not bring up xander to stay for good and send Holt to his home...if peddie gets hurt xander could well play second for a few days until some one is found...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

My only concern about Xander is his "D." He appears very confident that he can play good defense. I think being up here everyday playing 3 B or SS, pinch hitting, pinch running, working with Butterfield, Drew, Pedroia and getting lots of positive vibes from ShaVic, Gomes and Salty will be a real plus for his development.

I don't think he can play SS either, but if you started him against only lefties, you're at 33% of the starts, and if you start him against only lefties that Drew can't handle, you're at maybe 20-25% of the starts.  Throw in Drew when they pull the lefty starter, and his exposure in the field will be minimum, and I do think he can make all the routine plays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In a pennant race, you should have your best 25 on the roster. Other considerations can wait. Rosters expand in two weeks. Should we wait ?  The team could use an infusion of youth. If a guy is batting .198 vs lefties at this point of the season, he should not be playing against lefties. How hard is that to understand ?  Bring up Bogaerts.

Stabbed by Foulke.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The split reversals or near reversals of Gomes and Victorino should probably be viewed as flukes. Gomes is one of our hottest hitters right now, left or right, so he should stay in the line-up, except vs pitchers he has a long historuy of futility against.

OPS Vs RHPs

J Gomes  .812  (.737 career, but a little worse over the previous 3-4 years)

Victorino .710  (.725 career, but horrible last year

OPS Vs LHPs

J Gomes  .730  (.875 career, but much better over the previous 3-4 years)

Victorino .756  (.868 career, but much better over the previous 3 years)

Maybe it's playing in Fenway Park, I'd like to see the lefty-righty splits home and away.

I don't see any option on our current roster to not stcik with these two vs LHPs in hopes that they revert to at least their career norms from here on out.

The issues we have at SS and Catcher vs LHPs have been well documented. Perhaps, Ross will pick up the slack, although Lava has hit better of late. It's his defense that worries me most. When Bogaerts comes up, we may have an alternative to Drew vs LHPs, but I'm not sure Farrell will make it a strict platoon.

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't think he can play SS either, but if you started him against only lefties, you're at 33% of the starts, and if you start him against only lefties that Drew can't handle, you're at maybe 20-25% of the starts.  Throw in Drew when they pull the lefty starter, and his exposure in the field will be minimum, and I do think he can make all the routine plays.

Do you think 2 weeks of playing 35% of the games in MLB vs 95% of the games in AAA will slow Boggy's growth that much?

We're talking about maybe a 8-10 game differential.

The issue is that Boggy playing in 5-7 games here in August instead of Holt or Drew- can make a big difference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Drew has been one of our best hitters over the last month and he's been hitting lefties pretty well the last couple of weeks.  1 for 3 off Pettitte, 1 for 3 off Buehrle, 1 for 3 off Bruce Chen.  In one of the Toronto games he hit two balls off their lefty relievers (Cecil and Loup) that looked like doubles but Jays outfielder Davis made great catches on them.

Not arguing against Bogaerts, what I'm saying is that Drew has been one of our best hitters lately and he's not the guy we should be sitting very much.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Drew has been one of our best hitters over the last month and he's been hitting lefties pretty well the last couple of weeks.  1 for 3 off Pettitte, 1 for 3 off Buehrle, 1 for 3 off Bruce Chen.  In one of the Toronto games he hit two balls off their lefty relievers (Cecil and Loup) that looked like doubles but Jays outfielder Davis made great catches on them.

Not arguing against Bogaerts, what I'm saying is that Drew has been one of our best hitters lately and he's not the guy we should be sitting very much.  

Those are all great points his contact against Buerhle was great and Davis mode two outstanding plays againt him and I think he had another shot at Rogers that his glove was there to rob him the next night.

I'm just looking for ways to justify getting a RH bat into the lineup.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to notin's comment:

-Shel Silverstein

Notin , I agree on Gomes---either Nava or Carp in LF with Gomes as a PH.

I agree on Xander---it appears he should be in at both 3 B and SS depending who's throwing. He may be a flop and have a start like JBJ but to give the Sox their best chance to win he needs to be in Boston. He can't be any worse than Holt, or WMB vs. RHanders.

It is discouaging as a fan to see position players like Myers and Machado playing key roles for our competition in the East and to know we have a kid who's close enough to being ready 60 miles down 95.

I disagree on flipping his position. 

I suppose platooning him won't kill his development, as the AAA season is almost over anyway.  Hopefully the Sox add him to the 40-man in the next 15 days.   They could easily DFA Butler to make room.  If someone claims Butler, wish him well.  His days in the prganization are numbered anyway.  Ditto Snyder...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

We do realize that Gomes pretty much has hit leftis after his horrid first two months?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

We do realize that Gomes pretty much has hit leftis after his horrid first two months?

Yes, but what's interesting is his numbers vs RHPs. If he could keep up an .800+ OPS vs RHPs and then hit lefties like he did from 2010-2012, he'd be one of our best hitters.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

My god, these fans are going crazy!!!  If we need a right handed hitter against Pettitte, we should call up at lease five guys from farm system, and bench Drew, Ellsbury, Carp, Nava and Victorino so we can have at least 9 right handed hitters in the line up.

Come on fans......stop being stupid.......we only can have 25 man roster meaning we need to have at least 11 to 12 pitchers on the roster all the time til the month of Septembper where we can have unlimited players.!!

Let us worry about one freakin game at a time!!!  Sox won it today and hopefuly the Rays and Orioles loses tonite!~!!  if not....big deal. 

Go Sox

Sections
Shortcuts