So you think you know baseball....?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

So you think you know baseball....?

There are many times when a poster gets called out. Is it possible that guys who have a passing interest could have more insight than someone who has played the game on many levels? Is experience the grand trump card? Should posters have to post their baseball resume to demonstrate the fitness of their perspective? Last off season I posted my predictions, let's see how they turned out, or might have if acted upon?

Big Papi signs up for two years...He got the one year, and a second would have been prudent.
     Papelbon traded....now they get next to nothing, his 30 saves could have been spread around, and his low September impact was not his fault.
     Wakefield will not get Sox record for wins...Spot on. I think I called for his release. He should be history now.
    Bogar replaced....Really, would anyone have missed him? Too little, too late.
    Werth signed for RF...I'd trade him for CC, and sweeten the deal with cash.
    Nava will not see the inside of Fenway, except by buying a ticket...Spot on.
    Lowrie will play third....the A-Gon deal pre-empted this prediction, the Sox got the deal done, but were not any better for it.
     Salty as starting catcher...he played as well as could be expected, is still young, and could get better.
     So there it is, not perfectly right, and the ones that were wrong, turned out to be the major issues with the team, did I do as well as the experts, or better?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Re: So you think you know baseball....?

On another thread, I put the blame on the offense. Saying it was under the surface, and that the pitching woes were obvious. The offense suffered from being too LH, and too few RH Homeruns. It was rebutted that the Sox offense was the best in baseball, that it doesn't matter what side of the plate dingers come from, and that I had a fascination equal to an 11yo with homeruns. The offensive output down the last week was, other than MVP Ellsbury, homeruns by the RH hitters, Lowrie, Jackson, Scutaro, Pedroia and Lavarnway. All of which contributed to wins, or keeping the Sox in the game. Did I get lucky? Or am I just obtuse?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

We had a "c" on a players jersey--I didn't read anywhere that he led. Tek should go--Lavarnway should be the co-catcher with Salty. Perhaps Tek could be the 3rd base coach.

They can trade Lackey--someone will take him and perhaps restructure his deal; he is too divisive a player and both he and CC have too much talent to have to face the glut of Boston media that is sniping away 24/7.

I am tired of it, I can only imagine what the players, coaches and their families have to put up with.

The agents of these two guys evidently don't know their clients very well--they should have looked for a better match not just the most money. I believe one or both of CC and/or Lackey will not be back next year.

For Francona and the players that have been thrown out at home after being waived on by Bogar--you won't see him at third next year hopefully.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: So you think you know baseball....?:
    On another thread, I put the blame on the offense. Saying it was under the surface, and that the pitching woes were obvious. The offense suffered from being too LH, and too few RH Homeruns. It was rebutted that the Sox offense was the best in baseball, that it doesn't matter what side of the plate dingers come from, and that I had a fascination equal to an 11yo with homeruns. The offensive output down the last week was, other than MVP Ellsbury, homeruns by the RH hitters, Lowrie, Jackson, Scutaro, Pedroia and Lavarnway. All of which contributed to wins, or keeping the Sox in the game. Did I get lucky? Or am I just obtuse?
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Wow. If you want to make a post about the offense not being good at the moment go ahead. The Red Sox offense was the best in baseball.  What don't you understand about that?  The Red Sox had the best offense in baseball.  Their team ERA was 22nd in baseball. 

Of course the pitching woes were "obvious". Because that's why they didn't make the playoffs.  The offense had ebbs and flows but to complain about the offense when it is the best in baseball statistically just makes you seem shallow.  The pitching was horrible.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3992292. Show user_3992292's posts

Agree with Youk.  This team is too lefty.  It may be great line up to use when they are playing in Yankee Stadium where they are 7-2 this year.  Not at any other ballpark especially at Fenway Park.  Also once Youkilis is out, the whole line up have lost the whole chemistry cuz lack of power RH (Youkilis).  By the way, Youkilis is not a #4 hitter or #3 or #5.  No way!!  But I just think that Tito just have no choice cuz he need a guy to be between Papi and Agonz.   I think that Boston need to go back the old basic line up like the one with Manny/Oritz in the line up along with right and left handed hitters in the bottom of the line up including putting Youkilis back to the #6 spot.  Dont trade Youkilis!! 

Number two, fix the starting rotation.  Their rotation is so awful from the month of August to September.  I know the injuries took took the toll on the pitching staffs.  Meaning that Bedard and Miller got to go.  I think Lackey should just stay cuz if Boston trade him, they will eat up alot of money.  He can be a perfect bottom rotation pitcher.  Look at AJ Burkett, Yankees never got rid of him, and still all these years he is still with the Yankees, Yankees still made into the playoff no matter how good or bad he is.  

Boston just do not have any depth.  Look at Tampa, Yankees, Texas, etc. where they have a perfect back up players on the bnech whether they are a vet or minor league players.  When A-rod is down, Yankees have Chavez.  For Tampa Bay, they can call up anyone.  I know Boston have Lowrie as back up, but he is too often injure prone player.  He is the one got to go.  I am tire of seeing Theo keep picking up a guy via trade to be a back up utility player such Aviles, Kochman (last year), etc.  

Definitely need right hitting power hitter!!  More likely to get right hitting RF and DH.  There are guys that fit perfectly is Beltran as a DH.  He can also be a back up player in the OF.  And ideal starting RF could be guy like Willingham who is never an often injure prone player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Cuddyer would be my outfield choice to play LF. if CC is still here I would put him in right to make better use of his speed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: So you think you know baseball....? : Wow. If you want to make a post about the offense not being good at the moment go ahead. The Red Sox offense was the best in baseball.  What don't you understand about that?  The Red Sox had the best offense in baseball.  Their team ERA was 22nd in baseball.  Of course the pitching woes were "obvious". Because that's why they didn't make the playoffs.  The offense had ebbs and flows but to complain about the offense when it is the best in baseball statistically just makes you seem shallow.  The pitching was horrible.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I'm sure the Mets would love to trade venues with Boston if they want a statistical advantage. In the end, it didn't matter. Pitching,pitching,pitching

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Agree with Youk.  This team is too lefty.  It may be great line up to use when they are playing in Yankee Stadium where they are 7-2 this year.  Not at any other ballpark especially at Fenway Park.  Also once Youkilis is out, the whole line up have lost the whole chemistry cuz lack of power RH (Youkilis).  By the way, Youkilis is not a #4 hitter or #3 or #5.  No way!!  But I just think that Tito just have no choice cuz he need a guy to be between Papi and Agonz.   I think that Boston need to go back the old basic line up like the one with Manny/Oritz in the line up along with right and left handed hitters in the bottom of the line up including putting Youkilis back to the #6 spot.  Dont trade Youkilis!!  Number two, fix the starting rotation.  Their rotation is so awful from the month of August to September.  I know the injuries took took the toll on the pitching staffs.  Meaning that Bedard and Miller got to go.  I think Lackey should just stay cuz if Boston trade him, they will eat up alot of money.  He can be a perfect bottom rotation pitcher.  Look at AJ Burkett, Yankees never got rid of him, and still all these years he is still with the Yankees, Yankees still made into the playoff no matter how good or bad he is.   Boston just do not have any depth.  Look at Tampa, Yankees, Texas, etc. where they have a perfect back up players on the bnech whether they are a vet or minor league players.  When A-rod is down, Yankees have Chavez.  For Tampa Bay, they can call up anyone.  I know Boston have Lowrie as back up, but he is too often injure prone player.  He is the one got to go.  I am tire of seeing Theo keep picking up a guy via trade to be a back up utility player such Aviles, Kochman (last year), etc.   Definitely need right hitting power hitter!!  More likely to get right hitting RF and DH.  There are guys that fit perfectly is Beltran as a DH.  He can also be a back up player in the OF.  And ideal starting RF could be guy like Willingham who is never an often injure prone player.
    Posted by 4079efa6860279c229d23166fa17dfda

All these years. This is his 3rd year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Fire Epstein!

Do not allow Wastefield or Varitek to more than a minor league contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

MadMc44, CC does not have the arm to play RF.  Teams would first and 3rd us to death.  When Dewey Evans was out there, teams rarely went from 1st to 3rd on a hit and run.  Almost no one these days has the cannon Dewy had, but Crawford would be a disaster.

Want to improve his play in left?  Bring Yaz and Rice in a few times to work with him on positioning and how to play the wall.  No one ever did it better than Yaz, and Rice, while not an great fielder, turned himself into a pretty good one by working at it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: So you think you know baseball....? : Wow. If you want to make a post about the offense not being good at the moment go ahead. The Red Sox offense was the best in baseball.  What don't you understand about that?  The Red Sox had the best offense in baseball.  Their team ERA was 22nd in baseball.  Of course the pitching woes were "obvious". Because that's why they didn't make the playoffs.  The offense had ebbs and flows but to complain about the offense when it is the best in baseball statistically just makes you seem shallow.  The pitching was horrible.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Lets look at the last 13 games, 4 wins 9 losses, 67 earned runs, 68 offensive runs. Now throw out the outlier 18 on offense and 9 in earned runs. You now get 58 earned runs in 12 games, and only 50 scored. I know the offense was "the best in baseball". You don't understand what that really means. In seven of the last 13 games, 4 or FEWER earned runs, those should have been wins! The changes in 2012 will address "fixing the offense", as well as the overall pitching.
     Is pitching allowed any ebb and flow in your world?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Posted by YOUKILLUS20

Hey dude...maybe this is news to you but didn't we used to have this guy on the roster who played 3rd, and was once a Gold glove firstbaseman...I think he wears #20 and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he used to hit 4th with a career ops over 900, cuase I haven't seen him since I don't know July? There's this other guy who was wearing #20 and he looked like the old guy, but just didn't seem to be able to hit the ball and finally I think they put him on the DL....What was that guys name again? Cause man what I wouldn't do to see a heathly righthanded hitting 3rd baseman in the cleanup during september...boy if we had a guy like that we'd be a good as the REd Sox with KEVIN YOUKILIS...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: So you think you know baseball....? : Hey dude...maybe this is news to you but didn't we used to have this guy on the roster who played 3rd, and was once a Gold glove firstbaseman...I think he wears #20 and correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he used to hit 4th with a career ops over 900, cuase I haven't seen him since I don't know July? There's this other guy who was wearing #20 and he looked like the old guy, but just didn't seem to be able to hit the ball and finally I think they put him on the DL....What was that guys name again? Cause man what I wouldn't do to see a heathly righthanded hitting 3rd baseman in the cleanup during september...boy if we had a guy like that we'd be a good as the REd Sox with KEVIN YOUKILIS...
    Posted by Beantowne

And the Yanks A-Rod played but 99 games...that's the point, Youkilis has not played more than 136 games the last 3 years, so you need a roster construction that plans for that.

Sections
Shortcuts