So, You Want to be a General Manager?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

So, You Want to be a General Manager?

Here's a look at the top ten rated free agents and how they and their new team fared.

1. Zack Greinke, delivered with a 15-3 2.67 and the Dodgers locked up their division.

2. BJ Upton, the 29 yr old was a major bust hitting .186 9 26 with a .270 OBP, What was Atlanta thinking?

3. Josh Hamilton, .246 21 and 72 RBI, hard to justify signing him and his baggage.

4. Michael Bourn, the Bourn Conspiracy was that no GM wanted to take a chance on this Ellsbury like player, he settled for Cleveland, and they're still in the hunt for Red October, Bourn has contributed with a .259 6 48 and 23 stolen bases.

5. Hiroki Kuroda, the Yanks got old all at once, and injured too. Kuroda put up 11-12 3.17, pretty good for a 38 year old.

6. Kyle Loshe, he had great numbers with St. Louis, but couldn't find too many interested parties, 10-10 3.51 with a bad Milwaukee team. He turns 35 next week, maybe that was part of the problem.

7. Dan Haren, didn't help the Nats with his 9-14 4.87 ERA. The NAtionals never got it going and Haren is somewhat to blame.

8. Edwin Jackson, just thirty year old, Jackson has been around the block once or twice, started 30 games and ate some innings on avery bad Cubs team, a 4.74 ERA in the NL is not too impressive.

9. Anibal Sanchez, A strike thrower who has proved to be good and durable. 14-8 2.64, JACKPOT!

10. Nick Swisher, Nick has been "Swisheriffic" for the Tribe, clubbing 20 HR's and being a great "clubhouse guy" the Indians are in the mix, and Swisher has been a big part of that. Didn't the Yanks need a 1B this year?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: So, You Want to be a General Manager?

In response to youkillus' comment:

Here's a look at the top ten rated free agents and how they and their new team fared.

1. Zack Greinke, delivered with a 15-3 2.67 and the Dodgers locked up their division.

2. BJ Upton, the 29 yr old was a major bust hitting .186 9 26 with a .270 OBP, What was Atlanta thinking?

3. Josh Hamilton, .246 21 and 72 RBI, hard to justify signing him and his baggage.

4. Michael Bourn, the Bourn Conspiracy was that no GM wanted to take a chance on this Ellsbury like player, he settled for Cleveland, and they're still in the hunt for Red October, Bourn has contributed with a .259 6 48 and 23 stolen bases.

5. Hiroki Kuroda, the Yanks got old all at once, and injured too. Kuroda put up 11-12 3.17, pretty good for a 38 year old.

6. Kyle Loshe, he had great numbers with St. Louis, but couldn't find too many interested parties, 10-10 3.51 with a bad Milwaukee team. He turns 35 next week, maybe that was part of the problem.

7. Dan Haren, didn't help the Nats with his 9-14 4.87 ERA. The NAtionals never got it going and Haren is somewhat to blame.

8. Edwin Jackson, just thirty year old, Jackson has been around the block once or twice, started 30 games and ate some innings on avery bad Cubs team, a 4.74 ERA in the NL is not too impressive.

9. Anibal Sanchez, A strike thrower who has proved to be good and durable. 14-8 2.64, JACKPOT!

10. Nick Swisher, Nick has been "Swisheriffic" for the Tribe, clubbing 20 HR's and being a great "clubhouse guy" the Indians are in the mix, and Swisher has been a big part of that. Didn't the Yanks need a 1B this year?

Who put this list together?

Where is Shane Victorino?

Where is Mr Koji?

Oh Nevermind, this was the top agents going into the the free agent market

Ben did very good with all of his signing except for that thug Jonny Gomes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

[QUOTE]

Where is Mr Koji?

[/QUOTE]

The list was from ESPN.COM, and guys like Victorino and Koji were in the second level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Where is Mr Koji?

[/QUOTE]

The list was from ESPN.COM, and guys like Victorino and Koji were in the second level.

[/QUOTE]

got it, I edited my post right afterwards.......

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the only name on this list i wanted was Swisher. I rallied pretty hard for him in the offseason but with the draft pick assigned he never really was an option... even if it would have only cost us a 2nd rounder..

I wanted us to steer clear of the rest of this list. Anibal Sanchez comes to mind as a player who we realistically could have had who i particularly rallied against signing. his final deal ended up at what 100M+?? and it might have gone even higher since he gave the Tigers a chance to match and they REALLY liked him (obviously if they have him 100M). Anyway, i was WAY wrong on this guy. i called him over rated even though his stats were pretty good looking (better after this CYA worthy year). Kudos to Moon who really wanted us to sign this guy.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was not for spending big on any of this weak class of free agents, but once I saw us shell out $39M for Victorino, $26M for Dempster, and $9M for Drew, I said I would have rather spent the money on A Sanchez, and then trade Lester for Myers (perhaps trying to pry Butler from KCR as well).

Not sure if we'd have been better or worse, but we'd have Sanchez and Myers for much longer team control than those we gave up or would not have signed, again, maybe a good thing or a bad thing going forward. 

(Note: I was wrong on a lot of my other suggestions and have admitted as much.)

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Oh happy days...

Andy has found his new whipping boy.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

That was the secret to Sox Off-Season, didn't lose any Draft Picks. Signed guys with no Compensation. Shorter deals which doesn't hold any of the Prospects up if they perform. You got to keep working on the farm, evaluations, and coaching.

The tide is turning on Free Agency.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Where is Mr Koji?

ok! I'll bite. since when is Jonny Gomes a thug?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hammah29r2's comment:

ok! I'll bite. since when is Jonny Gomes a thug?

andrew considers him a thug because:  pummel crisp & punk rock kick the can.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

the only name on this list i wanted was Swisher. I rallied pretty hard for him in the offseason but with the draft pick assigned he never really was an option... even if it would have only cost us a 2nd rounder..

I wanted us to steer clear of the rest of this list. Anibal Sanchez comes to mind as a player who we realistically could have had who i particularly rallied against signing. his final deal ended up at what 100M+?? and it might have gone even higher since he gave the Tigers a chance to match and they REALLY liked him (obviously if they have him 100M). Anyway, i was WAY wrong on this guy. i called him over rated even though his stats were pretty good looking (better after this CYA worthy year). Kudos to Moon who really wanted us to sign this guy.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

To be precise, Anibal Sanchez signed a five-year, $80 million contract with Detroit.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/american-league/detroit-tigers/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Oh happy days...

I was thinking the same thing.

I had a negative feeling toward Gomes based on something -- forget what -- that happened when he was with Tampa. But I kept an open mind about him. When I learned what kind of positive guy he was in the clubhouse that seemed to be undisputed throughout baseball by teammates, managers and analysts, I gave him a shot and changed my opinion. And with the big hits he's had -- and surprisingly some very good defensive plays, not that he's going to win a Gold Gove any time soon -- I've become a fan.

How can any Red Sox fan not like Gomes after what he's done this year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

[QUOTE]

Oh happy days...

I was thinking the same thing.

I had a negative feeling toward Gomes based on something -- forget what -- that happened when he was with Tampa. But I kept an open mind about him. When I learned what kind of positive guy he was in the clubhouse that seemed to be undisputed throughout baseball by teammates, managers and analysts, I gave him a shot and changed my opinion. And with the big hits he's had -- and surprisingly some very good defensive plays, not that he's going to win a Gold Gove any time soon -- I've become a fan.

How can any Red Sox fan not like Gomes after what he's done this year?

[/QUOTE]

How can any human like andrewmitch after reading his posts?  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

My main problem with Gomes is that he promised to make the trains run on time, and they don't.

===========

On second thought, I think the tipping point with Gomes was when he annexed the Sudetenland.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

If I was the GM, then I would also sneak out of Fenway in a Gorilla suit.   LOL   Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts