So,.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Re: So,.......

allibi and I do not always agree, but in this case I have to side with him.  Those of you who think that Ben has saved us money are delusional.  And those who think he will go out and spend that $60 million of our money this off-season, either on 4 equivalent players or 6 or 7 lesser souls that somehow add up to the production and defense and innings pitched and infield depth that the 4 provided are really not paying attention to the point of this trade (to purge the team of big money contracts), the pool of FAs available this winter, or the likely motivation behind this move for the guys who really ARE saving this money (ie, Henry and Werner).  There is the very real possibility that Henry needs this money for his Liverpool and NASCAR ventures.  It has also been proposed that Henry is trying to improve the salability of this team. 

One can only hope...he came in with geat gusto and presided over an historic accomplishment, but almost everything since has been designed to fill the ballpark and soak the fans for as much money as they can give to line his greedy pockets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: So,.......:
    [QUOTE]Nah! Who needs a guy who thows 97 MPH after TJ surgery?
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to go along with those 5 BB/9. He's 23, and is still not pitching in the big leagues. Just when do you think he will? 25,26? My guess is the sox will unload him him at some point, just as they will the others. That's what they do. These four are nothing more than trade chips.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Here's the point about AGon, Beckett, and CC.  With them on the team the Sox had the worst nosedive last September  in MLB history.  With them on the team this year, the Sox are under .500. Something had to change.  One theory is simply change the manager and all will be well.  Oh, I forgot.  The Sox did that after last season and the same rotten pitching returned this year, but a little worse. Another theory is to assume CC and Ells will both be great next year--ditto AGon, Ortiz, et al.  What's wrong with that theory is the pitching will still stink--badly. This move is somewhat of a gamble, but it does give the Sox a chance to fix the pitching.  AGon is a real loss, no question. CC might be, but odds are he was going to continue to struggle in Boston, plus his salary made it that much harder to find additional players and stay under the salary cap.   As for Beckett, I'm almost convinced he was doing an "I'm Manny in 2008" impersonation.  Regardless, he had to go and losing AGon was necessary to lose Beckett.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

it's not about the players, it's never been about the players. It's management. The worst management of an organization ever. If you have bad apples, you get rid of them, but not at the expense of the whole team.

When Valentine was hired, he should have been free to pick his entire coaching staff. That is what undermined the team this year, but you guys just can't see it. That and the fact that Cherington is a rookie GM making rookie mistake after mistake. He's given a pass because he is learning on the job, when he was the assistant under Theo, another mistake by LL and the owners for not cleaning out all of Theo's/Toito's's guys.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

[QUOTE]Here's the point about AGon, Beckett, and CC.  With them on the team the Sox had the worst nosedive last September  in MLB history.  With them on the team this year, the Sox are under .500. Something had to change.  One theory is simply change the manager and all will be well.  Oh, I forgot.  The Sox did that after last season and the same rotten pitching returned this year, but a little worse. Another theory is to assume CC and Ells will both be great next year--ditto AGon, Ortiz, et al.  What's wrong with that theory is the pitching will still stink--badly. This move is somewhat of a gamble, but it does give the Sox a chance to fix the pitching.  AGon is a real loss, no question. CC might be, but odds are he was going to continue to struggle in Boston, plus his salary made it that much harder to find additional players and stay under the salary cap.   As for Beckett, I'm almost convinced he was doing an "I'm Manny in 2008" impersonation.  Regardless, he had to go and losing AGon was necessary to lose Beckett.
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

This is the most considered post in support of the trade I have read.  My real problem is that AGon was worth more...to the Sox lineup and to the LA franchise.  Ben should have held out for more, or then just pulled Crawford and AGon back and stuck the Dodgers with Beckett's contract.  Zach Lee, Garret Gould (the Dodgers top two pitching prospects), Rubby DeLaRosa and Allen Webster is a haul I could have admired.  But taking the 2 least of these 4 and wasting roster space on DeJesus and Sands is really discouragning to me.  In 3 years I expect Beckett, AGon and Crawford to have had plenty good production for LA, and I will be surprised if more than one of these "prospects" has contributed substantially to the Sox.