Softlaw Called it: Miami MLB market a disaster, after "new ballpark"

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Softlaw Called it: Miami MLB market a disaster, after

In response to softlaw2's comment:

There was a poster on here, a few years back, who claimed all would be well when the new ballpark opened. His screenname was the obvious "Marlin "something". He claimed he new the Miami market because he was living down there. Claimed the Marlines would conduct a fire sale because the new ballpark would solve the problem of fans not wanted to sit in a hot ballpark.  Another poster using "jasko" was making a similar defense of the Miami MLB market.

Softlaw said that attendance would continue to be embarrassingly poor, and that the Marlins would conduct a fire sale before the end of 2012 season. As I stated then, MLB must force the art dealer to sell and move to another state. They should force the used car salemsan, I mean art dealer, out because he is truly a fraud and is stunts are embarrassing to MLB and ripping off FL taxpayers.

Anyway, you Red Sox fans in FL, make sure you don't go for the "groupon" fire sale ticket sale gimmick. Even if the Marlins claim the Red are coming to Miami, they are not on the schedule once "camp breaks".

except you were still wrong. before the start of the 2013 season is not "before the end of the 2012 season". math, dates, typing, thinking.... is there ANYTHING you are good at?? besides lying of course.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Softlaw said that attendance would continue to be embarrassingly poor ...

From one business man to another, what were you basing this on?  Did you feel that the market they were targeting did not have sufficient disposable income?  Did you feel that their marketing campaign itself was non-effective?  Was the problem with strategy or execution?  DO they just not have a passionate fanbase?

Honestly curious here.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

My sister lives down there, in Palm Beach. She knows the market. They don't care about MLB down there, and have better value entertainment. MLB is a product that is very expensive and requires a market where fans place priority on it as an entertainment option. FL is not that place. The winter market is different, of course, but that's not when MLB is played.

4:00 PM dinner with the "blue hairs" at the local "blue plate specials"  !!!   It's too hot to watch baseball in Florida...........   Again, as DAD would say.........   "SON, that SOFTLAW knows his stuff  !!!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

LOL

real hard to predict that one...

what is next for you?

Sun will rise tomoorow?

CONAN you FOOL .......  I guess SOFTLAW told you !!!!!    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

My sister lives down there, in Palm Beach. She knows the market. They don't care about MLB down there, and have better value entertainment. MLB is a product that is very expensive and requires a market where fans place priority on it as an entertainment option. FL is not that place. The winter market is different, of course, but that's not when MLB is played.

That's fair.  To add: My mother lives in Miami.  In the summer, there appears to be more significantly more Red Sox (and Yankee) fans in Miami than Marlins fans.  The few locals who do enjoy baseball, aren't going to spend big dollars on an MLB ticket for a team that they are impartial to, when there are better "value and fit" entertainment possibilities.  So you take an already limited market (baseball fans in Miami) and make it even more limited (most baseball fans in Miami arent Miami fans).  You pretty much end up with a small subset of a small demographic.  Ouch.

Thank you for your response.

Side note: I wonder what the P&L would have looked like if the Marlins were in the AL East.  Those 10 home games against the yankees and those 10 home games against the Red Sox would have been their 20 most profitable games.  I bet that if they played in teh AL East , the attendance would have been higher.  Maybe not high enough to cover the costs of the new stadium/payroll, but higher none-the-less.

They should have campaigned to switch leagues.  That was a flaw.  I also think they counted on making the playoffs (home playoff game revenue is great because a very high percentage of it flows down to your bottom line) to cover expenses.  That was a monumental flaw.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have news for you, buffoon, the sun doesn't rise. The world turns.

Ok, that one was good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

That's fair.  To add: My mother lives in Miami.  In the summer, there appears to be more significantly more Red Sox (and Yankee) fans in Miami than Marlins fans.  The few locals who do enjoy baseball, aren't going to spend big dollars on an MLB ticket for a team that they are impartial to, when there are better "value and fit" entertainment possibilities.  So you take an already limited market (baseball fans in Miami) and make it even more limited (most baseball fans in Miami arent Miami fans).  You pretty much end up with a small subset of a small demographic.  Ouch.

Thank you for your response.

Side note: I wonder what the P&L would have looked like if the Marlins were in the AL East.  Those 10 home games against the yankees and those 10 home games against the Red Sox would have been their 20 most profitable games.  I bet that if they played in teh AL East , the attendance would have been higher.  Maybe not high enough to cover the costs of the new stadium/payroll, but higher none-the-less.

They should have campaigned to switch leagues.  That was a flaw.  I also think they counted on making the playoffs (home playoff game revenue is great because a very high percentage of it flows down to your bottom line) to cover expenses.  That was a monumental flaw.

Tampa is also a terrible place. I was living there for quite some time and was there when they first got the DRays. Mostly transplants there. There really should be no MLB teams in Florida IMO. Its a college football and NFL state. Hockey and baseball are NOT top priorities there.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Lawyer?????

There was a poster on here, a few years back, who claimed all would be well when the new ballpark opened. His screenname was the obvious "Marlin "something". He claimed he new the Miami market because he was living down there.

knew  knew  knew

Claimed the Marlines would not conduct a fire sale because the new ballpark would solve the problem of fans not wanted to sit in a hot ballpark. 

wanting wanting wanting

Another poster using "jasko" was making a similar defense of the Miami MLB market.

Softlaw said that attendance would continue to be embarrassingly poor, and that the Marlins would conduct a fire sale before the end of 2012 season. As I stated then, MLB must force the art dealer to sell and move to another state. They should force the used car salemsan, I mean art dealer, out because he is truly a fraud and is stunts are embarrassing to MLB and ripping off FL taxpayers.

his  his  his

Anyway, you Red Sox fans in FL, make sure you don't go for the "groupon" fire sale ticket sale gimmick. Even if the Marlins claim the Red are coming to Miami, they are not on the schedule once "camp breaks".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My best friend moved to Palm Beach years ago, and like many others down there, they are transplants. Same here in the Houston area.

It's hard to convert lifelong Sox and Yanks fans to become a Marlin fan or to go watch any games besides when their team comes to town- which is like never for the two biggest out of state fans living in the area.

Here in Sugar Land, Texas (SW suburb of Houston) there are definitely more non Astro fans than Astros fans, but the youth are growing up 'stros fans.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

You could remove the teams from Florida and Texas and nobody would notice, but onece they build a new stadium it shrinks that idea to zero. Hopefully before Tampa hoodwinks Orlando into a new place to play MLB will step in and move them out of the state - maybe.

The should move them to North Carolina- a state that appreciates baseball. A big side effect for us would be that softy could switch to being a Carolina fan.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to UnionFallsNY's comment:

Bad or good?

big

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:

Lawyer?????

There was a poster on here, a few years back, who claimed all would be well when the new ballpark opened. His screenname was the obvious "Marlin "something". He claimed he new the Miami market because he was living down there.

knew  knew  knew

Claimed the Marlines would not conduct a fire sale because the new ballpark would solve the problem of fans not wanted to sit in a hot ballpark. 

wanting wanting wanting

Another poster using "jasko" was making a similar defense of the Miami MLB market.

his  his  his

Hey!  Get off Stiffy's back!  It's not like he's posing as a wildlife biologist.  Now there's an image for you......   Stiffy trying to yank a baseball out of a whales blow-hole :)

A metaphor for Stiffy yanking baseball knowledge out of his blow-hole.  :)

Too bad Stiffy isn't as funny as good old George Costanza :(

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I still favor contraction - 4 teams. 

2 teams and we could go back to 4 divisions (get rid of NL/AL) of 7 teams or make 7 divisions of 4 teams. (disband KC & Oak and move TB to NC)

4 division:

East: TOR, BOS, NYY, NYM, PHIL, BAL, WSH

Central: PITT, CLE, CIN, DET, CHC, CWS, MIL

South: MIA, ATL, NC, STL, HOU, TEX, MN

West: SEA, SF, LAD, LAA, SD, AZ, COL

7 divsions:

East: TOR, BOS, NYY, NYM

South: ATL, MIA, TEX, HOU

Atlantic: PHIL, BAL, WSH, NC

Mideast: PITT, DET, CLE, CIN

Central: MN, MIL, CC, CWS

West: St.L, COL, AZ, SD

Pacific: SEA, SF, LAD, LAA

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I have no problem with a new ballpark in Miami or Texas or Boston for that matter.....as long as the ballbarks are paid for by the Owners of the team and not public funding. Stop the Public funding and two things will happen, One....teams will end up in locations where the Owners worry about making money on gate receipts and not just on what they make on National TV dollars and Franchsie appreciation and 2, Contraction will occur in sports where there arent enough Cities with fans to support teams. Look at the Forbes Article valuing the Yankees at $2.3B and yet when they built the new stadium, 1/2 the $ was due to come from Public funds, until Bloomberg backed out of the deal...and when they did the yanklees still moved forward with a Stadim plan that cost 200MM less.....and I think the City still kicked in 200MM for new transportation., but taxpayers paid for 80% of Marlins Stadium...that is a travesty.

Sections
Shortcuts