Softlaw Called it: Miami MLB market a disaster, after "new ballpark"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Softlaw Called it: Miami MLB market a disaster, after

...and then who pays for having to demolish these monstrosities years later?

Yup, John Q. ...

They're talking $30M to demolish the Astrodome and make it a parking lot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

And forget hockey.  I remember when the Tampa Lightning won the cup in 2003 and nobody cared.  I think I remember seeing empty seats at a stanley cup finals game....haha

Back to baseball: its not like there are no places to move these bad market teams.  I feel like Portland should have a team.  I can see Nashville supporting a team as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

And forget hockey.  I remember when the Tampa Lightning won the cup in 2003 and nobody cared.  I think I remember seeing empty seats at a stanley cup finals game....haha

Back to baseball: its not like there are no places to move these bad market teams.  I feel like Portland should have a team.  I can see Nashville supporting a team as well.

I rememeber the O's and Pirates not selling out World Series games. How sad was that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

They love baseball in the Carolinas too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

They support the minor leagues better than some major league cities. The problem might be where to centrally locate a stadium to maximize state support and attendance.

How many total minor league teams do they have down there?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

They support the minor leagues better than some major league cities. The problem might be where to centrally locate a stadium to maximize state support and attendance.

I think the entire league where the Red Sox have their high A team is in the Carolinas, plus some teams in the sally.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to greatestNYY's comment:

New York Daily News "Talk about Moneyball. With a new estimated value of $2.3 billion, the Yankees are the most valuable franchise in American sports, riding the surging tide of television revenues lifting every team in Major League Baseball’s yacht club. The Bombers — who were valued at $1.85 billion in last..."

Welcome back. I hope you've been taking some trolling lessons while you've been away. :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think the entire league where the Red Sox have their high A team is in the Carolinas, plus some teams in the sally.

Maybe there's more in NC, but I can think of ...

Durham Bulls, Charlotte Knights, Carolina Mudcats, Winston-Salem Dash, Greensboro somethings?, Hickory Crawdads (love the name), Asheville???...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

When I was living in Fl. the homegrown fans had no idea what its like to have generations of family growing up rooting for the same team. They wondered why I wasnt a rays fan since this is where I lived now. Its a big problem when a Boston fan can tell them who their own prospects are and basically more about their team than they know...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

When I was living in Fl. the homegrown fans had no idea what its like to have generations of family growing up rooting for the same team. They wondered why I wasnt a rays fan since this is where I lived now. Its a big problem when a Boston fan can tell them who their own prospects are and basically more about their team than they know...

Exactly. It might take at least a generation to build fans for life: the real true fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Durham Bulls, Charlotte Knights, Carolina Mudcats, Winston-Salem Dash, Greensboro somethings?, Hickory Crawdads (love the name), Asheville???...  

Greenville, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Carolina Mudcats, Greensboro and Charleston. There might be more too. And don't forget the USC Gamecocks who gave us Jackie Bradley Jr.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Greenville, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, Carolina Mudcats, Greensboro and Charleston. There might be more too. And don't forget the USC Gamecocks who gave us Jackie Bradley Jr.

Portland Oregon and The Carolinas are great places to have an MLB baseball team. Fans there will support the team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Portland Oregon and The Carolinas are great places to have an MLB baseball team. Fans there will support the team.

If you lokk at the Top 50 TV markets in the country, I think you need to get to # 19, which is Orlando before you get one without an ML team....Portland is #22 and then Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham follow soon after....Those 2 are definitely locations that I think would support teams 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

You could remove the teams from Florida and Texas and nobody would notice, but onece they build a new stadium it shrinks that idea to zero. Hopefully before Tampa hoodwinks Orlando into a new place to play MLB will step in and move them out of the state - maybe.

Don't say that. I'd love for the Rays to move to Orlando or move from St. Pete to Tampa. It's the only chance I get to see the Sox live unless I'm able to take a trip to Boston.

It's going to take time for the Rays/Marlins to build their fanbases. If you're around 6 when you start being concious of the team w/o any other loyalties and grow up with them, those Rays fans are now just 23. So the first generation of fans have barely grown up yet and have kids they can teach to be fans.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to softlaw2's comment:

My sister lives down there, in Palm Beach. She knows the market. They don't care about MLB down there, and have better value entertainment. MLB is a product that is very expensive and requires a market where fans place priority on it as an entertainment option. FL is not that place. The winter market is different, of course, but that's not when MLB is played.

4:00 PM dinner with the "blue hairs" at the local "blue plate specials"  !!!   It's too hot to watch baseball in Florida...........   Again, as DAD would say.........   "SON, that SOFTLAW knows his stuff  !!!!!

I've got silver hair.  I think I qualify!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

The issue in Miami has to do with solely with Loria.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have said th following for over 5 yrs. The Rays have a solid fan base but it is small. The Rayshould have been in Orlando. Not only is it a larger area than Tampa/ St Pete Orlando has millions coming from all over the country. The cross marketing between the entertainment there and the teams coming in all summer woulde an overwellming success.

As for Miami I'm under the impression that it has a roof thus the heat has no affect on attendance sorry softy The whole isue is they brought in guys and the team perfomed poorly and now he changed the team all over again.

Please tell me what team's fans are going to follow any team that does that? NONE

YOU NEED CONSISTENCY not continual change

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wow!  Stiffy predicting the obvious!  I guess he's been wrong so often these past several years he really needed a gimme.

We would have given you that tap in if you had asked for it Stiffler.  :)

MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you lokk at the Top 50 TV markets in the country, I think you need to get to # 19, which is Orlando before you get one without an ML team....Portland is #22 and then Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham follow soon after....Those 2 are definitely locations that I think would support teams 

I think if they built a stadium between Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, it might be too far from both to bring 'em in.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I went to a Red Sox vs. Oakland A's game in Oakland in 2006.  Boston was already out of the playoff race and the A's were in the playoff hunt. 

Only around 18,000 fans showed up.  So sad. 

When Frank Thomas came up to bat, I told an A's fan that Billy Beane was smart for signing him for only $500,000 for one year and the fan had no idea that the A's paid him that much.    LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I went to a Red Sox vs. Oakland A's game in Oakland in 2006.  Boston was already out of the playoff race and the A's were in the playoff hunt. 

When Frank Thomas came up to bat, I told an A's fan that Billy Beane was smart for signing him for only $500,000 for one year and the fan had no idea that the A's paid him that much.    LOL

I'm sure I know more about the Astros than most people around here.

I'm so glad they are in the AL. Thats 3 more games a year I get to see my Sox in prime seats.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I'm sure I know more about the Astros than most people around here.

I'm so glad they are in the AL. Thats 3 more games a year I get to see my Sox in prime seats.

let us know where you will be sitting so i can try to pick you out of a crowd... i'll just look for the dude with a monocle :)