Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield

Based on e-mails, comments on the blog and listening to sports talk radio, there is a sentiment out there that the Red Sox should take Tim Wakefield out of the rotation. Some would go as far as to release him.

With the rosters expanding on Thursday, releasing him makes little sense. Beyond that, it would be unnecessarily callous. The man has been with the team for 17 years, show some respect.

So, Peter, its about being soft instead of callous. Its about deciding roster spots based upon years of service. Peter, are you in a Union?

The first potemkin basis you use to defend Wakefield in the rotation is to rest Lester, Beckett, Lackey and Bedard for playoffs. Not once to you mention Miller. Not once do you mention Weiland or other young pitchers who have showed potential and need experience. Weiland had one bad start during O's bean ball soap opera, and the last and only other start was quite good. You know its not about resting starters for playoffs, its about excuses to keep Wakefield in rotation and foregoing other options. Excuses for 200 wins, a reason which compromises the integrity of the competition.

The second potemkin basis you use is peformance of Wakefield. You use WAR (akin to BA except BA is accurate and WAR is nothing more than an estimated anecdotal based reference that no gm would value players on) and quality starts. Unfortunately, quality starts isnt a litmus test for a quality start. Scoring flaws on earned runs and game situations of early big leads blown by a pitcher are not reflected in quality starts. What you ignore is Wakefield's ERA over 5 for over 2 years! A little more important than quality starts when Wakefield is being hidden and given extra average down time between starts. And Wakefield is a human launching pad who gives up a homer or two in almost every start, and is totally ineffective nearly every start after a low number in pitch count (see Gammoms). All for the purpose of this 200 wins PR stunt. Had Wakefield started year in rotation and gone every 5 days on average his numbers would be even higher, and he would have his DL.

You then use roster expansion as an excuse to scoff at releasing Wakefield. How about all the innings taken away from Miller and other youth, and compromising first part of season with Wakefield roster squatting while Aceves starts in AAA?

As for not releasing Wakefield this late, because of roster expansion, there could be a marathon extra innings Yankee game and having another close game capable pen arm (wakefield is not) might decide a game or even two.

And, Peter, while 100 wins would be nice Red Sox PR feather (has not been dones since 40's) and worth more PR than a 45 year old mediocre performance long career pitcher winning 200 games, winning division means homefield advantage until WS! That's very important! You admit that you are willing to discount division to further the attempt at getting Wakefield 200 wins, which says more about those Red Sox teams than it does about Wakefield. 

And that's the problem, Peter. Ever hear of integrity of competition? Winning division may not be worth overusing starters (Wakefield argument holds zero water on that due to expansion and youth spot start options), but you dont compromise it to booster seat lineup Wakefield for 200 wins!

Since its clear Wakefield is like taxes, not death, why not compromise and give Timmy a booster seat and trundle him out for the 5th inning in the first Red Sox early blowout? It would be fitting, Peter. Wakefield''s been a booster seat roster spot for over 2 years! Why not let him get that record in the way he has been squatting on the roster? Why compromise competition integrity and roster and division chance percentages with the shotgun of starts approach to allow the law of averages to give Timmy his style points moment to tip his cap like that embarrassing moment where he broke some longevity team record and had the audacity to tip his hat after giving up a grand slam!

Peter, roster spots are supposed to be earned on merit, not by the past, but by ability to do the job in the present. Big sample is what baseball job ability is based on, and Wakefield hasn't been able to do that for over 2 years! Roster spots should not be about respect and emotion. Respect is telling a player it is time to go gracefully and give the stage to younger players in need of opportunity. 

I have the utmost baseball respect for John Henry and Larry Luchino and Tom Werner, but I am dissappointed in what I consider a PR decision that is being defended for invalid reasons. I have already read where Nick Cafardo says Wakefield will be given as long as needed to pass Cy Young, meaning another year of a booster seat roster spot for Wakefield. If it were true he had value in pen, that is one thing, but he does not. Wakefield should not be offered more than a minor league contract for 2012!

Remember, Peter, respect is a two way street. Wakefield carped about pitching in FL if his early season role wasnt changed. That is a disrespect to the Red Sox and the fans. 

Wakefield needs to put the team ahead of his personal milestone and step aside and respect the game and retire. I would respect him if he did that. I will not respect him chasing law of averages milestones when he is 45 years old, has a 5 plus ERA for over 2 years, and is compromising best interest of team.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield

Miller deserves to stay in the rotation.  Can't take lackey out of the rotation, even through he stinks, because of his contract and that would admitting he was a bad signing.  Wake has been stinking up the joint as of late, so yeah, let him miss a start.

I would bring him in a tie ball game and hope the team scores a run behind him.

There's nothing wrong with the manager and GM rewarding a guy who has been a good team player.  Makes the entire team feel good.  Wakes has done everything the team has asked him to do.  No reason not to give him a bone, particularly if it looks like they will win the division.

I don't have a problem with the Red Sox reducing their chances to win a game if it motivates the rest of the players.

But, I think Wake needs to miss a start.  He's pressing.

By the way, Wakefield is as deserving to stay in the rotation as Lackey.  In 5 starts in August, Lackey has pitched one more inning than Wakefield and he has a higher ERA.  Wakefield pitched a complete game in August, something Lackey hasn't done all season.

Wake has more innings pitched, given up 15% fewer hits, and fewer walks than Lackey.

In a side by side comparison, Wakefield wins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Let's hope the Sox don't continue this folly and give Wakefield a spot on post-season roster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ha ha, meanwhile over on the new Ortiz thread Softy laments about Red Sox fans 'swooning to re-sign Wastefield'.  Too funny.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No reason not to give him a bone, particularly if it looks like they will win the division.

So, when will it look like division is clinched? Time to throw Wakefield's bone down to FL. I didnt know making millions and complaining about a role was doing everthing team asked.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

In Response to Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]Based on e-mails, comments on the blog and listening to sports talk radio, there is a sentiment out there that the Red Sox should take Tim Wakefield out of the rotation. Some would go as far as to release him. With the rosters expanding on Thursday, releasing him makes little sense. Beyond that, it would be unnecessarily callous . The man has been with the team for 17 years , show some respect. So, Peter, its about being soft instead of callous. Its about deciding roster spots based upon years of service. Peter, are you in a Union? The first potemkin basis you use to defend Wakefield in the rotation is to rest Lester, Beckett, Lackey and Bedard for playoffs. Not once to you mention Miller. Not once do you mention Weiland or other young pitchers who have showed potential and need experience. Weiland had one bad start during O's bean ball soap opera, and the last and only other start was quite good. You know its not about resting starters for playoffs, its about excuses to keep Wakefield in rotation and foregoing other options. Excuses for 200 wins, a reason which compromises the integrity of the competition. The second potemkin basis you use is peformance of Wakefield. You use WAR (akin to BA except BA is accurate and WAR is nothing more than an estimated anecdotal based reference that no gm would value players on) and quality starts. Unfortunately, quality starts isnt a litmus test for a quality start. Scoring flaws on earned runs and game situations of early big leads blown by a pitcher are not reflected in quality starts. What you ignore is Wakefield's ERA over 5 for over 2 years! A little more important than quality starts when Wakefield is being hidden and given extra average down time between starts. And Wakefield is a human launching pad who gives up a homer or two in almost every start, and is totally ineffective nearly every start after a low number in pitch count (see Gammoms). All for the purpose of this 200 wins PR stunt. Had Wakefield started year in rotation and gone every 5 days on average his numbers would be even higher, and he would have his DL. You then use roster expansion as an excuse to scoff at releasing Wakefield. How about all the innings taken away from Miller and other youth, and compromising first part of season with Wakefield roster squatting while Aceves starts in AAA? As for not releasing Wakefield this late, because of roster expansion, there could be a marathon extra innings Yankee game and having another close game capable pen arm (wakefield is not) might decide a game or even two. And, Peter, while 100 wins would be nice Red Sox PR feather (has not been dones since 40's) and worth more PR than a 45 year old mediocre performance long career pitcher winning 200 games, winning division means homefield advantage until WS! That's very important! You admit that you are willing to discount division to further the attempt at getting Wakefield 200 wins, which says more about those Red Sox teams than it does about Wakefield.  And that's the problem, Peter. Ever hear of integrity of competition? Winning division may not be worth overusing starters (Wakefield argument holds zero water on that due to expansion and youth spot start options), but you dont compromise it to booster seat lineup Wakefield for 200 wins! Since its clear Wakefield is like taxes, not death, why not compromise and give Timmy a booster seat and trundle him out for the 5th inning in the first Red Sox early blowout? It would be fitting, Peter. Wakefield''s been a booster seat roster spot for over 2 years! Why not let him get that record in the way he has been squatting on the roster? Why compromise competition integrity and roster and division chance percentages with the shotgun of starts approach to allow the law of averages to give Timmy his style points moment to tip his cap like that embarrassing moment where he broke some longevity team record and had the audacity to tip his hat after giving up a grand slam! Peter, roster spots are supposed to be earned on merit, not by the past, but by ability to do the job in the present. Big sample is what baseball job ability is based on, and Wakefield hasn't been able to do that for over 2 years! Roster spots should not be about respect and emotion. Respect is telling a player it is time to go gracefully and give the stage to younger players in need of opportunity.  I have the utmost baseball respect for John Henry and Larry Luchino and Tom Werner, but I am dissappointed in what I consider a PR decision that is being defended for invalid reasons. I have already read where Nick Cafardo says Wakefield will be given as long as needed to pass Cy Young, meaning another year of a booster seat roster spot for Wakefield. If it were true he had value in pen, that is one thing, but he does not. Wakefield should not be offered more than a minor league contract for 2012! Remember, Peter, respect is a two way street. Wakefield carped about pitching in FL if his early season role wasnt changed. That is a disrespect to the Red Sox and the fans.  Wakefield needs to put the team ahead of his personal milestone and step aside and respect the game and retire. I would respect him if he did that. I will not respect him chasing law of averages milestones when he is 45 years old, has a 5 plus ERA for over 2 years, and is compromising best interest of team.    
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

hows ELLSBURY doing?Tongue out

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Not that well, lately. Let's hope Bellsbury picks it back up v. NY.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]Not that well, lately. Let's hope Bellsbury picks it back up v. NY.

How can he miss with the fabricated 43% fat city strikes?

Let's hope they pick up Softliar while he continues to start ego-maniacal threads.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

No brag, harnut, just fact. K-zone is zip code. My research is address location;)

Harnut, you are constantly on here bullying. Ego meets voodoo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Your research is a fabrication. Bullying is UR way of saying someone is trying to get to the truth of one who lies.

And stop quoting the great Walter Brennan. He must be turning in his grave over it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

I don't read Softlaw anymore. Life is too short to get annoyed but someone whose sole purpose is to annoy you and waste your valuable time on this Earth. Anyone with half a brain knows that he doesn't take him self seriously so why should you. It makes his day for you to reply and to get upset with his charade. Shame on you for taking the bait. If he fools you over and over again then you must be either an idiot or else you work for the Globe or the NY Times and want traffic here. Shame on you otherwise. The forum need not be coming here to respond to threads that are started by idiots and / or trolls. AIM HIGHER. Start your own threads about the team that you love and not hate. Why are most threads started by the haters? The answer apparently that trolls come here at least with five minutes of preparation and real fans come here with no positive agenda.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Your research isnt research, it is Internet cut and paste. My research is why you are you and I am me, and why your guarantee was wrong and Crawford is what he is in 2011.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Battleship Potemkin

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

I see no one is defending Wastefield. Rats are jumping Moonslow and Harnut ship.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Sorry, Peter, giving up on Wakefield would not be a mistake. But giving him another booster seat contract would be a mistake. So what if he wins 200 games after being coddled, he stinks! You know it but its PC not to admit it. His ERA over 5 for over 2 years knows it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I want Wakefield to get 200 and I don't care how. I also bet that every RS player wants it to happen and don't care when. Look at all the crap lackey has taken here and every RS player has defended him. Even to the point from Beckett who said he could have never kept on pitching and going thru what Lackey was with his family. The difference between us and them is that we have no way of seeing what any player goes through to make their contribution to the team. Many of b & c about performance and salaries without any background of what is really going on.

So I side with the RS and let Wakefield keep on going for it and not in a meaningless game coming out of the BP. To do something like that would be a slap in the face to Wakefield and every other player in MLB. Ted got the 406 ave the right way let Tim do it the right way..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRSox. Show BRSox's posts

Wakefield has been a warhorse, and just when you are ready to write him off, he has a few good outings in a row. I'll trust Tito and the pitching coach to make this call. 

Go Sawx!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to Re: Softlaw Calling out Peter Abraham: You Make Case Against Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]Wakefield has been a warhorse, and just when you are ready to write him off, he has a few good outings in a row. I'll trust Tito and the pitching coach to make this call.  Go Sawx!
    Posted by BRSox[/QUOTE]

Wakefield a war horse? More like a worn out plow horse, it's time for the glue factory.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Your research isnt research, it is Internet cut and paste. My research is why you are you and I am me, and why your guarantee was wrong and Crawford is what he is in 2011.

You can say that again. You don't divulge your research because you don't do any. Otherwise, you'd state the source of it. That is who you are.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

Caught you lying on DiceK every year DL claim, harness. Jig is up.

First: 5/30/2008
    Last: 8/29/2011
    I want Wakefield to get 200 and I don't care how.

Jim, very sad to see you vote to compromise competition and allow division chances, thought still favored for red sox, to decrease slightly for Wakefield''s booster seat starts. 

Wakefield a war horse? More like a worn out plow horse, it's time for the glue factory.

AtticDan, best witty retort of this board's history!! Promise you won't leave and allow the Wastefield minions to continue this propaganda.  

Sections
Shortcuts