Softlaw Open Letter to David Ortiz

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: Softlaw Open Letter to David Ortiz

As usual no answer to facts'.  and tell us what are the career averages?  The combo of years 1 and 2?; 1,2,3?

Crawford is a nine year veteran; ells had two years. Entirely different points in thier careers. 

And please, to paraphrase you, Crawford has nothing to do with Ellsbury

And do not put words in my mouth;  I do not know what will happen in 2012 and neither do you

and by the way time to change your diaper

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Every time I have attended a game the fans show nothing but love for him

You have zero credibility! Rip Van Winkle or lying is the only way to claim Ortiz wasn't abused during 2009 and 2010 first months. In fact, he was "warned" by most fans and media about there concern about his age and poor starts.

I have actually attended at least one game a year since 2004. Have you? Red Sox fans can be critical of players when performance on the field declines. I have witnessed fans get on Kevin Millar's case and boo Alan Embry when he struggled. But I have never been at a game when David Ortiz did not receive the full support of the fans. What the media writes and some fans post online is not representative of all Red Sox fans. Concern about Ortiz's performance does not equal abuse. I'll take my credibility over yours. I'm not a propagandist, that's your game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Yes, David, I have. You've never been to a game where Ortiz wasn't getting "100%" support becuase you are lying about it. "Concern" is a buzz word for "steep decline in 2009" and "market for Dh is low and Ortiz should be more realistic" and "what's wrong with Ortiz" after every game and "Oritz can't hit lhp anymore".

You are a propagandist David, to wit:

"I've never been to a game where David Ortiz did not get full support of the fans".

Ortiz needs to call Cashman as soon as he becomes a FA, and see if this "FA Dh market is only 8M" is true.

Papelbon and Ortiz needs to tear most Boston fans and Epstein a new one in "it's just business".

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I don't know why you'd want the RS to overpay Ortiz.... maybe another year at 12 million with a club option, but if he wants two guaranteed I'd be inclined to go with 8 million x 2.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Market dictates. Ortiz calls the Yankees and he will get more than that. He should be paid the market top dollar, which isn't 12M with club option or 8M X 2. He doesn't have more than one or two years left, unless he's the same color as Varitek and Wakefield. He deserves to be paid top Dh dollar created by Yankees bidding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

softy

Ellsbury has improved his game every year in MLB, he may somewhat regress in 2012 but there is EVERY reason to believe he will be better than his career avg's.

Of course if you want to play the career avg card any other time than when it is convenient for you, then remember Ellsbury is a career .300 hitter against LHP...and another player you are in love with is also by far having a career year.
    Matt Kemp....who's career avg is lower than Ellsbury, as well as his OBP.  And your beloved David Ortiz (who I love as well) never hit above 20 HR until he was 27 and increased his production every year for 7 years until in his 30's.  As do many players on the right side of their prime.....so why can't Ellsbury be that kinda player??? that improves every year until he is right in the middle of his prime?  

besides the fact that you hate him...of course. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

the fact that you hate him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

I only have one question for SoftLaw: Why are you so convinced the Yankees are going to want to spend big money on a "35" year old DH? If they want to add another big LH bat, they would be better off trying to trade for a younger Andre Eithier, or throwing HUGE money at Prince Fielder to DH. Also, the major concern for the Empire will be rebuilding a starting staff that it is held together with spit and tape (although Bartolo and Freddy have been WAY better than expected, the Yanks cannot think they will repeat these performances in 2012) Ortiz seems like a real long shot to me for NYer's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs, White American societies & Softlaw, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together."
    Marcus Garvey

(apologies to the late, great Marcus Garvey)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this open latter is as delusional as Curt Schilling's nonsense about baseball post 9-11...

Not signing Otiz will be about prioritizing finances - nothing more, nothing less - do you want to spend 30 mil on a DH closer to forty than 30??? Not I - but I guess that makes me racist...

Now if he takes 10 mil/yr with incentives I would do it - I too thought he was in decline (pernament) but he looks awfully good at the plate right now and I am impressed with his bat speed these days...but for 15 mil we could plug a few more important holes like SS or another starter

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Softlaw Open Letter to David Ortiz:
    [QUOTE]this open latter is as delusional as Curt Schilling's nonsense about baseball post 9-11... Not signing Otiz will be about prioritizing finances - nothing more, nothing less - do you want to spend 30 mil on a DH closer to forty than 30??? Not I - but I guess that makes me racist... Now if he takes 10 mil/yr with incentives I would do it - I too thought he was in decline (pernament) but he looks awfully good at the plate right now and I am impressed with his bat speed these days...but for 15 mil we could plug a few more important holes like SS or another starter
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I agree for the most part. The Sox have the second-best record in baseball so it's not like these holes are draggnig them down.

But I agree, $10M a year as long as he's hitting. This offseason, I'd consider doing two for $20M. Since he's making $12M this year, maybe go two years, $12M for the first year and $8M for the second with incentives with a $4M buyout so he's guarnateed $16M.

I don't know -- I'm not good at contract suggestions, but as long as Ortiz is hitting like this, I'm more than happy to pay $10M-$12M or so a year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Matt Kemp....who's career avg is lower than Ellsbury, as well as his OBP

What is Matt Kemp's career OPS v. lhp?

Please write intelligently, not via bugaboo.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Matt Kemp....who's career avg is lower than Ellsbury, as well as his OBP What is Matt Kemp's career OPS v. lhp? Please write intelligently, not via bugaboo.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

It's higher than Ellsbury's.  In what relation does that have to intelligence. How's this...the Sox have the best offense in the MLB against LHP, and yes they have 3 LH in the outfield but you got to plug 9 into the lineup and like I said...best offense in the MLB against LHP.  You can plug away at one stat all day to make your case....but you are all alone on this.

Your all alone on this for a reason. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

on another note I would like to say congrats to Softy - he writes a well-written letter (that I disagree with) that causes the floodgates to open and all sorts of posters are then responding to him and his arguments...pretty impressive I'd say...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I was alone on Tex to the Yankees.

I was alone on AGon 100% fire sold over last winter.

OF problem v. Lhp has only been less of a problem because of Reddick's small sample.

W/L record doesn't change the fact that what Ortiz and Pedroia and Youk and Reddick are currently slugging v. lhp does not change the fact that Reddick is not a likely playoff or long term solution to OF v. lhp. Cliff Lee is pretty good.

Aviles and Mac are a total joke, short and long term. Reddick is not going to put up his current v. lhp stat line as the sample gets bigger.

This Red Sox team is not impressive in pitching. To win it all will require big offense machine and strong pen. Pen appears capable with Papelbon, Bard and Aceves. Beckett, regardless of what seems, is not 2007 form. Lester isn't in his best form. After those two, it's quite poor. This is not Pedro Schilling and Lowe. This is not 2007 Beckett Schilling DiceK 2007 and Lester. This 2011 Beckett and Lester and a lot of flat hanging breakers and hard stuff.

Short term, better hope Lee goes down and Phillies don't make WS.

Long term, the OF Theo has constructed is embarrassing, with such a massive budget.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I was alone on AGon 100% fire sold over last winter. Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

10/9/10 " "As Softlaw reported sometime back, the only reason AGon won't be dealt over this winter is the extesnsion demands of AGon being outside of what market will bear next winter. The Tex demands are way outside of what the market will bear, and his agent knows that but is using it as a wish price. This is why I have it 50/50 that AGon goes this winter . As I said at the outset, no question that he gets traded before the end of next season "                        

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE] I was alone on AGon 100% fire sold over last winter. Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE] 10/9/10 " "As Softlaw reported sometime back, the only reason AGon won't be dealt over this winter is the extesnsion demands of AGon being outside of what market will bear next winter. The Tex demands are way outside of what the market will bear, and his agent knows that but is using it as a wish price. This is why I have it 50/50 that AGon goes this winter . As I said at the outset, no question that he gets traded before the end of next season "                         
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

woops.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE] I was alone on AGon 100% fire sold over last winter. Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE] 10/9/10 " "As Softlaw reported sometime back, the only reason AGon won't be dealt over this winter is the extesnsion demands of AGon being outside of what market will bear next winter. The Tex demands are way outside of what the market will bear, and his agent knows that but is using it as a wish price. This is why I have it 50/50 that AGon goes this winter . As I said at the outset, no question that he gets traded before the end of next season "                         
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Not even Softy's favorite deodorant can cover that one up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I think when he talks about alone he is specifically referring to moon, harness, and himself; the rest of us don't exist.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I think when he talks about alone he is specifically referring to moon, harness, and himself; the rest of us don't exist.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Burrito, the guy is a bare-faced liar, yet you defend him over and over.

You are dead wrong here.

When softy made his 50/50 claim, many of us, myself included, called him out over and over to get off the fence. He would not budge. In September of last year, long before Softy jumped on the bandwagon, I claimed AGon was probably going to be traded. I said the season ticket argument was a bogus one, since everyone in SD knew AGon would be traded. I said the chances he came to Boston were very high since we "matched up well" with them. I even listed a likely package of "Kelly, Rizzo and Bowden". This was before the 2010 season was even over. I cut and pasted those posts to prove I was way ahead of softy on this issue and he still claims exclusivity and links me with harness and others who disagreed with me.

You blind support of softy is very questionable.

He really thinks he was the only poster on this whole site who said we would/should not get Tex. 

He thinks he called the AGon trade. He did not.

He was wrong on AGon (I count 50/50 as wrong).
    He was wrong on what players SD would get (I was one player off).
    He was wrong about AGon not extending in April, 2011 (I said he would).

How you back up this silly clown is almost as absurd as his claims of superiority.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I was alone on AGon 100% fire sold over last winter.

Read, you dimwit.