Softlaw's Daily Red Sox Musing & Levity 2013 Part I (Spring Training)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Softlaw's Daily Red Sox Musing & Levity 2013 Part I (Spring Training)

That was the most adorable post you have done all year!!!

I simply cannot wait for more!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

note to self....do not open this thread up again. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

It's not necessary to put the word 'mercenary' in front of a ballplayer's name.  It's a redundancy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Nice Double, today, for Iggy. He and Ciriaco are the best value and fit for middle infield, with Pedroia. Paying mercenary dumpster profile Drew, 10 million, is embarrassingly stupid.

Would love to see IGGY at SS on 4/1/2013     !!!!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, it is necessary to put the word "mercenary" in front of Drew's name. It's one thing if the Red Sox needed his skills, but they don't. Not all players are mercenaries.

And what exactly makes Drew a mercenary? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Nice Double, today, for Iggy. He and Ciriaco are the best value and fit for middle infield, with Pedroia. Paying mercenary dumpster profile Drew, 10 million, is embarrassingly stupid.

Would love to see IGGY at SS on 4/1/2013     !!!!

Until he has a bad game. Then you'll want to dump him for a bag of balls.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

This is the best thread idea ever~ 24/7 all softlaw. Sign me up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The best part about this thread is the promise that he will avoid all other threads, but then again, he breaks his promises more than anyone. He once promised never to post on my realistic threads, but broke it days later under the guise of a new moniker pretending he wasn't softy for a few days, and then forgetting the lie a few days later and exposing his silliness all over again.

Let's keep him entertained here, and maybe he'll keep this promise.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

That was the most adorable post you have done all year!!!

I simply cannot wait for more!

I agree with snake.  This is just precious!!!  I am willing to now overlook every single one of the bigoted socio-political rants ever uttered by Stiffy.  In this new light, his race chronic race baiting almost seems endearing.  I now see his protestations over the lifestyle choices of others was hiding a "softer" side. 

I had no idea what a compassionate conservative he really is.

You are too cute by half stiffy :)

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Iggy batting .118 was definitely a clear indication that he was ready to start in the MLB come 2013...

and yes i had someone spill a beer on me at fenway. the guy was very apologetic and even bought me a frank to make amends. As for the first part of the question, i only drink rum. So if the question still applies to me i'll gibe you my answer.. I tend to drink around the same amount whether we're winning or losing but i usually drink more if we are blowing them out or are getting blown out.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Interesting, on the booze survey.

Iggy was .333 in 2011. Neither sample is large enough. But SS isn't about hitting, it's about fielding. Iglesias has been ready long before now. An OPB of .190 vs. one that is around .300 would have no substantial negative impact on the offense as a bottom of the lineup SS. He's already far superior to S. Drew, if you understand what SS is all about in team baseball. Red Sox management doesn't have a clue, which is manifest in spending 10 million on Drew. Drew will benefit statwise from Fenway, but he's already in a stage of his career where he's a lousy hitter and a lousy excuse for an everday SS.

i'm not even sure how to respond to this........... you sir have me flabbergasted.

i don't even know where to start.. all i can say is that you are wrong on so many levels. a player with an OPB of .190 has no business being on a baseball field period. doesn't matter if he is batting ninth, has the best defense in the history of baseball and every point of that OBP was due to hitting HRs.

many teams employ a slugging SS. In fact, top slugging SSs generally net you more wins than top fielding SSs.. Drew has a higher WAR being a "lousy everyday SS" than all but 1 top fielding SS (JJ Hardy) over the past 5 years. and Drew even missed a ton of time with his ankle injury.. so that should be proof enough.

over the past 5 years the top slugging SS (HanRam) has a WAR of 23.7 as a below average fielder whereas the top fielding SS (Hardy and Ryan) have a WAR of 16.2 & 9.4 respectively over the same time period.

the numbers show you can really go either way with it but generally, an above average sligging SS with average D with net you more wins than an average slugging SS with above average D. It's not about having the best hitting SS or the best fielding SS. It's about having the best overall SS on the field. Drew is a much more complete player than Iggy at this point. Although if Iggy can display some offensive capability he can tip the scales in his favor..

let's see if you can rebutt any of those points without trying to discredit WAR.....

Sections
Shortcuts