Softy was right after all

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Softy was right after all

To compare the 2011 numbers of a starter and a bench guy is nothing short of nonsense. The reality is that what Cameron's bench numbers are have no bearing whatsoever.

Cam was not likely to have a "career year" in the "wheelchair" year of 2011. He has never had a year like "Jake" is having now. Cam's best OPS year was .837 at age 33. He hasn't stolen over 18 bases since 2006. His numbers since turning 34 (2007) are:
    .241/.327/.437/.765

Jake's career (2007 to today):
    .293/.347/.414/.761
    2011:
    .300/.361/.452/.813

Admit you misjudged Jake & Wake for 2011 and move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Softy was right after all:
    [QUOTE]The story on Cameron yesterday was that his teammates liked him a lot and were saddened by his departure.  Theo and Francona also had good words for him. His career stats before last year say he was a reasonable acquisition going into 2010--a righty outfielder who was still hitting 25 dingers a year at age 36, could play all the OF positions, and was in excellent physical condition. Two decisions proved disastrous, however.  The first was, after discovering his sports hernia in the spring, to encourage him to play thru it.    Thus he never did spit all last year.  The second was to put him into CF and Ellsbury in LF, which led to Ellsbury getting crunched by Beltre (as was the other leftfielder) and missing the entire season.  As for the Ellsbury/Cameron comparison, who cares what Cameron's career stats are?  He's three years older than Drew and giving away ten years to Ellsbury, and by now it is clear to everyone--forget the RSN fan base, I'm talking about commentators for ESPN, MLB, Fox, wherever--that putting Ellsbury back in CF full time was absolutely the right thing to do.  He has been way more than fine and is very likely to be on the All-Star team, something Cameron did once in his career.  Jake is 3d in the AL in hits, 5th in runs scored, first in SB's, and appears to be headed toward 15-20 dingers.  He plays errorless ball in CF--2 total errors since he came up in 2007--and these days is covering a lot more ground in CF than Cameron, who is also error prone, would.  Right now Ellsbury has the best assist/error ratio, 5 to 0, of all MLB outfielders.   Platooning him--one week on and one week off--with Cameron would have been absurd.  Tek's value is that he is a consummate role player, something Cameron apparently can't do.  He catches basically 2 of 5 games, which keeps Salty fresh, and calls a great game.  The least important thing he does is hit two dingers in one game--and that's the most important thing Cameron did all year.  If Tek had not hit one dinger, the Sox would have won yesterday 3-0 because Jenks would not have pitched the 9th.  Lester was terrific, but it was no coincidence that this was his first time in awhile being caught by Tek and that he threw shutout ball for 7 innings.  The guy knows his business and is of far greater value than Mike Cameron, who's getting paid twice as much.   I don't see Tek getting into the HOF, but love the fact that he still loves playing the game at whatever salary they offer him.  It's a shame softy can't see that.  Epstein makes mistakes, but I think it's a little too early to make a judgment about Crawford.  Funny thing is, softy is disparaging the guy who went out and got Cameron, whom softy seems to think is still an excellent outfielder.  Go figure.  While we're on that subject, Theo is also paying one of softy's favorite players, J.D. Drew, $14M this year, his 5th and final year at Boston.  Where is softy's rage at spending $22M this year on two guys who sure look like they are over the hill?  There is none because softy likes them.  If softy had his way, Drew would be the fulltime rightfielder and Cameron the fulltime centerfielder for the Sox. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Well, Max, you answered his drivel far better than I could. Nice job.
    Softy thinks it's a one-man show with Theo. What a fool. If he had any idea of the amount of individuals that affect each decision...

I honestly think he pictures Epstein secluded from all others in a basement office where coffee is poured out of an automated PC.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

... I honestly think he pictures Epstein secluded from all others in a basement office ...

Maybe because that's how he lives his life.

Softy must be in heaven tonight.

First, Jake takes a day off.

Second, Wake gives up 5.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

For now it's hard not to like Reddick.  That weak double was a great defensive swing--it sure looked like he was trying to foul off a pitch he was afraid the ump would call a strike even though it was way outside. 

One amazing turnaround tonight because this game was over.  But Drew got that leadoff single which started one humoungous rally.  I have done my share of blasting Drew, but will always agree he plays a mean right field. 

The thing I will never understand about softy is his very real disappointment when a guy he dislikes does well.  As southpaw777 says, it's hard to believe softy is a Red Sox fan. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Oh yeah. Cam would be just fine as the starting CF'er. No need to keep Jake. Cam:   .149 BA    .212 OBP    .266 SLG  .477 OPS ELLS:  .299 BA  .359 OBP  .415 SLG  .811 OPS Cam was paid to hit lefties . Jake isn't expected to. Yet Jake hit them at a better rate. 90 points higher BA. 97 points higher OBP 20 points higher SLG 113 points higher OPS Theo learned his lesson listening to UR idiocy last year when he moved Jake out of CF. How'd that work out for ya? Keep it coming.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

I honestly think what got him cut was NOT the hitting, but that terrible play he made in the 1st game vs Pitt (I was there), resulting in a run scoring double, and likely the loss. Cameron was an elite OFer, and that play illustrated his decline. Somebody will pick him up, ala Smoltz (not that he'll do as well as Smoltz's swan song; I actually though he'd play in 2010; sure HOFer, great golfer BTW, could be a pro).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I don't think any one play determined Cam's exit.
    I'd hate to think that's the criteria for FO decision-making.
    I believe it was apprehension about the 2010 injury and his reduced role.
    He could still have something left, but he may not get the FT opportunity to show it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You're right, but that play may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Seeing it live made it seem even worse; he misjudged it, then got his feet tangled changing direction, then let it skip past him; (Not that he's better even now, but here's guessing AGon, a great ballplayer and admittedly not a natural OFer, would have caught it.) This kind of reminded me of Willie Mays misjudging a ball and falling when changing direction in the '73 Series.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]For now it's hard not to like Reddick.  That weak double was a great defensive swing--it sure looked like he was trying to foul off a pitch he was afraid the ump would call a strike even though it was way outside.  One amazing turnaround tonight because this game was over.  But Drew got that leadoff single which started one humoungous rally.  I have done my share of blasting Drew, but will always agree he plays a mean right field.  The thing I will never understand about softy is his very real disappointment when a guy he dislikes does well.  As southpaw777 says, it's hard to believe softy is a Red Sox fan. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

I've read this statement on many occasions from several different voices.
    IMO, he is definitely a RedSox fan. But he uses them to showcase his disdain.
    If this were a political forum, I think many here would say the same thing about whether he was a true American. He is, but he uses his displeasure with the country's progression (or evolution) for his soapbox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Softy was right after all : I've read this statement on many occasions from several different voices. IMO, he is definitely a RedSox fan. But he uses them to showcase his disdain. If this were a political forum, I think many here would say the same thing about whether he was a true American. He is, but he uses his displeasure with the country's progression (or evolution) for his soapbox.

It's like a spouse replacement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Not gonna touch that one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we could just get a louse replacement, we'd be all set.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 7/3/2011
    I thought you were going to talk about softy's position that Cam should have been the FT CF'er instead of Jake.

It's hard to keep track of all his wrong positions this year.

Sox4ever

ROFL!   

The good wife wanted to know what had me laughing so hard.  I started to explain ...

She said it sounds like I was talking about John Kerry ... when he ran for presidential office and flip flopped more often then tides in a month.

Poor softy ... John Kerry?  Ouch.

Then she giggled and said at least he wasn't taking positions with Barney Franks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]moonslav59 Posts: 16932 First: 9/27/2005 Last: 7/3/2011 I thought you were going to talk about softy's position that Cam should have been the FT CF'er instead of Jake. It's hard to keep track of all his wrong positions this year. Sox4ever ROFL!       The good wife wanted to know what had me laughing so hard.  I started to explain ...     She said it sounds like I was talking about John Kerry ... when he ran for presidential office and flip flopped more often then tides in a month.     Poor softy ... John Kerry?  Ouch.     Then she giggled and said at least he wasn't taking positions with Barney Franks.
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

More likely with Barney Fife.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

fudge packer = Franks@nytimes.com

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Softy was right after all : I've read this statement on many occasions from several different voices. IMO, he is definitely a RedSox fan. But he uses them to showcase his disdain. If this were a political forum, I think many here would say the same thing about whether he was a true American. He is, but he uses his displeasure with the country's progression (or evolution) for his soapbox.

I have yet to see one positive comment, without any player bashing from him..A true fan might not like all the moves a team makes (who does?) but at least we cheer for the guys success because he is now on the team we cheer for. Even when a player does well and the sox win, hes only worried about HIS personal distain for that player and still has nothing remotely nice to say..Tell me how that is a fan. Either that is his schtick or he is one miserable little man who has a serious case of narcissism..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Softy was right after all : More likely with Barney Fife.

Easy Harness,

Barney was a fellow dep'ty.   :oD

We can't all be brilliant like you and me.

Some are prize stallions, others just horse's patoots.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxcorpseman. Show redsoxcorpseman's posts

The vocabulary of the Leftist

"Hate"
    "Intolerant"
    "Narcissist"
    "Social Justice"
    "Homophobe"
    "Racist"
    "Green jobs"
    "Stimulis"
    "Fascist"
    "Extremist"