SOFTY would say, "Ellsburry almost cost us the game"............

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: SOFTY would say,

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey Bill, remember when you said that watching young men play baseball this time of year 'steals your hear'??  AWWWKWARRRRRD..........   

And you young man are way off base here !!!!!   Grow up , please !!!

[/QUOTE]

Bill , some of these guys will never grow up. They  prefer to live in their little make believe fantasy worlds. When they have no answer, they respond with stupid, juvenile insults. Sadly , their numbers are growing. It does not bode well for the future.   

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hey Bill, remember when you said that watching young men play baseball this time of year 'steals your hear'??  AWWWKWARRRRRD..........   

[/QUOTE]

Bill , some of these guys will never grow up. They  prefer to live in their little make believe fantasy worlds. When they have no answer, they respond with stupid, juvenile insults. Sadly , their numbers are growing. It does not bode well for the future.   

[/QUOTE]

Well over 25,000 posts between you and Bill in the last 5 years on an on-line/cyber world forum.....and I'm the one that needs to grow up and not live in a fantasy world??  Ok........

[/QUOTE]

Then why are you here and making asinine, insulting posts like this ?  Do you enjoy watching more than participating ?  Are you monitoring the posts of other posters ?  What are your views on the team ? 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dgale,

You seem like a nice guy, so I'm not sure what it is you don't get with respect to somebody constantly sychophanticly blowing smoke up Stiffy's arrss?  Bill also seems like a decent guy, but his blind ideology keeps him from seeing what a mean SOB stiffy really is.  He has race-baited & been a manifest bigot for so long, & so consistently, that folks just don't want to hear somebody, not just sing his praises, BUT sniff his jock strap with wild abandon.

If Bill insists upon licking stiffy's set, he's going to get some blow back.  I cut him major slack, as I generally have a great deal of respect for my elders, even when they applaud vile racists & bigots. 

I think billy means well, and isn't necessarily that far socio-politically to the Right, but he certainly gives harbor to those who are.

Sorry!  Just the way it is.  You're a smart guy.  You must get that.  Nobody likes picking on bill just to beat him up! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

correction.....

Billy's harbor for the USS Stiffy is not just some honky-tonk Mississippi dock, he has constructed the nicest port imaginable in Martha's Vineyard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Say what you want about Softy, but he was more right than most about Ellsbury.  2011 was an aberration - not a breakout season, and if we had sold high we could very well have a Chris Sale, Shelby Miller or Julio Teheran in the rotation right now. 

There is no way softy was more right about Ellsbury than most.

softy claimed Ellsbury would never have an OBP over .340 for a full season.

His career OBP is .350.

softy claimed Ellsbury would never have the power that Coco Crisp had.

Yes, the 32 HRs was clearly an outlier, but he has 30 points on Crisp in SLG.

softy claimed Ellsbury was a below average fielder- "bad breaks/ poor routes"

Yes, Ellsbury does get bad breaks at times, but he is clearly a plus now on D.

softy claimed SBs were over-rated and that "Jake's CS rate would increase".

softy bashes Salty for the CS rate & Jacoby has his best SB/CS ratio ever.

softy claimed Jake's "reverse pivot" stance would not allow him to hit 15 HRs.

Ellsbury hit 32 HRs in 2011. (More than Coco ever hit in 2 years combined.)

softy acted like most of Red Sox Nation felt Jacoby would be the next Teddy Ballgame.

Nothing is further from the choice.

softy claimes 2011 was an outlier season.

Many of us stated that it was not likely he'd ever repeat his 2011 numbers.

.350 is not far from .340.

First, softy claimed he'd never hit .330 for a season. He then lied and said it was .340.

Second, yes .350 is close to ,340, but softy said Jacoby would never hit .340 for a full season. I'd say hitting .350 for his career is a being very very wrong.

Ellsbury doesn't have much if any more power than Crisp.

He doubled Coco's best year.

Other than 2011, he's never come close to 15 HRs.  I agree with you on defense and CS ratio.  But after 2011, I said we had to trade Ellsbury high.  

He was not alone. He pretends he is, and you feed his massive ego.

I was eviscerated by posters who thought Ellsbury was not only the best player on the team, but one of the top 10 in all of baseball.  I think your prediction was .860 OPS with 20-25 HRs going forward.

I wanted to trade Ellsbury after 2011 as well. Again, after 2012. 

I have never predicted any player "going forward". I do make seasonal projections. I will try and go back and find my prediction, but I do not think it was 20-25 HRs.

Now his Sox career is drawing to a close.  He has been somewhat better than what Softy predicted, but all in all Softy's pessimism was far closer to reality than what most here wanted to believe.

Yes, better than many, but niot most. Ellsbury is somewhere inbetween softy and the median point of other posters here. I'm not sure he closer to softy or the median of others, but it is close.

I seriously doubt softy would have projected a .350 OBP and a near 90% SB rate. Ells does have over 40 XBHs, but softy was certainly closer on the HRs this year than nearly everyone else. 

Please, don't be like softy. What he did concerning Ellsbury was take one extreme, over-the-top statement in which someone (not a poster; it might have been Johnny Pesky) said Ellsbury would be as good as Ted Williams then that's how all Ellsbury supports felt then used that a measuring stick to disparage Ellsbury.

Ellsbury has always been better and became better than softy's view. He never became the players softy said his supporters thought he'd be, but no one -- except for that one statement -- ever felt he'd be that kind of player.

No, but most thought 2011 would be the new norm.  Even those who tapered their expectations predicted far better than what we have seen the past two years.

I disagree. I don't know many posters who felt Jacoby would continue 2011.

softy felt Jacoby was wrongly handed the CF job without earning it. He loved Crisp and held a grudge.

softy felt most Sox fans and the media thought Ellsbury was way better than he actually was.

As Ellsbury continued to improve, softy squirmed and sought out minute faults in Jacoby's game. He micro criticized every tiny mistake Jacoby made. It became an obsession. His anti-Jacoby obsession outpaced any pro-Jacoby obsession any poster here ever had.

Even during the 2011 season, softy was ranting about how Crisp was leading the league in triple in late May. When jacoby stole home, he called it a mistake. It was sick, and everyone here knows it but him and apparently you.

Nobody thought Jacoby was going to be the next Ted. Nobody.

Nobody suggest more outlandish trade Jacoby posts than softy the clown.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

Dgale,

You seem like a nice guy, so I'm not sure what it is you don't get with respect to somebody constantly sychophanticly blowing smoke up Stiffy's arrss?  Bill also seems like a decent guy, but his blind ideology keeps him from seeing what a mean SOB stiffy really is.  He has race-baited & been a manifest bigot for so long, & so consistently, that folks just don't want to hear somebody, not just sing his praises, BUT sniff his jock strap with wild abandon.

If Bill insists upon licking stiffy's set, he's going to get some blow back.  I cut him major slack, as I generally have a great deal of respect for my elders, even when they applaud vile racists & bigots. 

I think billy means well, and isn't necessarily that far socio-politically to the Right, but he certainly gives harbor to those who are.

Sorry!  Just the way it is.  You're a smart guy.  You must get that.  Nobody likes picking on bill just to beat him up! 

First of all, let me thank DGALEHOUSE for his "common sense stand by" for BILL-806 on this thread........  2nd, yes BILL-806 has been on the board for a while, just like a lot of posters that enjoy playing the G M & MANAGER of our beloved Red Sox........   3rd,  It is interesting to see that there is a % of posters that have no idea about the makeup/personality of other posters giving there OPINIONS on the Sox or anything that is "hot" for that day.........  All that being said, some posters have no clue about the HUMOR and give & take that goes on every day on this board, they would rather attack with HATE & VILE to show us all how "smart" they are......  Thank goodness we are only talking about 3% of our daily posters........  So, have a good day all, our Red Sox did a pretty good job on that DODGER payroll !!!!   Go SOX !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

[QUOTE]

Dgale,

First of all, let me thank DGALEHOUSE for his "common sense stand by" for BILL-806 on this thread........  2nd, yes BILL-806 has been on the board for a while, just like a lot of posters that enjoy playing the G M & MANAGER of our beloved Red Sox........   3rd,  It is interesting to see that there is a % of posters that have no idea about the makeup/personality of other posters giving there OPINIONS on the Sox or anything that is "hot" for that day.........  All that being said, some posters have no clue about the HUMOR and give & take that goes on every day on this board, they would rather attack with HATE & VILE to show us all how "smart" they are......  Thank goodness we are only talking about 3% of our daily posters........  So, have a good day all, our Red Sox did a pretty good job on that DODGER payroll !!!!   Go SOX !!

Bill  I highlighted where you wrote the perfect description of Softlaw- the man who you call a great poster and great baseball mind.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:

[QUOTE]

Dgale,

Bill  I highlighted where you wrote the perfect description of Softlaw- the man who you call a great poster and great baseball mind.

Thank you very much for the high-light........ And thanks for helping me make my point......  I don't know SOFTY, SOFTLAW or what ever his name is fom a hole in the wall.........  But it is claer that "he" is/was a very articulate poster and "he" has/had his own opinions of baseball & our Red Sox.........  "He" was never "shy" with his posting or "stands" on whatever the topic was.......  If you read between his lines, you could/would see a keen sense of HUMOR of "him" and the topic at hand........  "His" back & forths with posters were always entertaining !!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

but it didn't......... Great game to watch !!!!    Would like to see SOFTY make a comeback for the stretch run, we need that boy !!!!     What say you ?????

How can you not know how to spell Ellsbury's name near the end of his 7th season with the team?  Some great fan you are....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to 67redsox's comment:

I had no problem with softy so I'll keep this thread goingLaughing

That's because he shared your religious beliefs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

.350 is not far from .340.  Ellsbury doesn't have much if any more power than Crisp.  Other than 2011, he's never come close to 15 HRs.  I agree with you on defense and CS ratio.  But after 2011, I said we had to trade Ellsbury high.  I was eviscerated by posters who thought Ellsbury was not only the best player on the team, but one of the top 10 in all of baseball.  I think your prediction was .860 OPS with 20-25 HRs going forward.

Now his Sox career is drawing to a close.  He has been somewhat better than what Softy predicted, but all in all Softy's pessimism was far closer to reality than what most here wanted to believe.

Please, don't be like softy. What he did concerning Ellsbury was take one extreme, over-the-top statement in which someone (not a poster; it might have been Johnny Pesky) said Ellsbury would be as good as Ted Williams then that's how all Ellsbury supports felt then used that a measuring stick to disparage Ellsbury.

Ellsbury has always been better and became better than softy's view. He never became the players softy said his supporters thought he'd be, but no one -- except for that one statement -- ever felt he'd be that kind of player.

[/QUOTE]

Correct, it was the aged, enthusiastic Johnny Pesky.  Softy may have known that up front but it was certainly pointed out to him many times.  But honesty and integrity are not the guy's strong points, are they?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dgale,

Thank you very much for the high-light........ And thanks for helping me make my point......  I don't know SOFTY, SOFTLAW or what ever his name is fom a hole in the wall.........  But it is claer that "he" is/was a very articulate poster and "he" has/had his own opinions of baseball & our Red Sox.........  "He" was never "shy" with his posting or "stands" on whatever the topic was.......  If you read between his lines, you could/would see a keen sense of HUMOR of "him" and the topic at hand........  "His" back & forths with posters were always entertaining !!!!

I don't know Bill

I failed to see his keen sense of humor when he was calling other posters "mental midgets" when they disagreed with him.

It is also hard to defend a man who repeatedly called this front office incompetent and then when the team has an historical turn around ( a fact that doesn't get as much respect here as it should) he runs off and disappears.

I appreciate a lot of your posts Bill but your admiration and constant mention of Softy in your treads really takes away from your credibility and makes it look like you are just trying to provoke responses.

[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

You mean your "humor".  Many people here do not find you funny at all.  "Let me be clear" as you have major comprehension problems:  your "humor" is not the same as humor in general.

I think your "humorous" posts about Jenny Dell are beyond creepy and would never let you near my children, family and friends....particularly not alone with my daughters.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

You mean your "humor".  Many people here do not find you funny at all.  "Let me be clear" as you have major comprehension problems:  your "humor" is not the same as humor in general.

I think your "humorous" posts about Jenny Dell are beyond creepy and would never let you near my children, family and friends....particularly not alone with my daughters.

[/QUOTE]WOW.... "There ya go again"......  Ok, you certainly dislike BILL-806, what about Forrest, FORREST GUMP  ????

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

[QUOTE]

but it didn't......... Great game to watch !!!!    Would like to see SOFTY make a comeback for the stretch run, we need that boy !!!!     What say you ?????

How can you not know how to spell Ellsbury's name near the end of his 7th season with the team?  Some great fan you are....

[/QUOTE]Thanks, I could have saved one of those "R's"  !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Say what you want about Softy, but he was more right than most about Ellsbury.  2011 was an aberration - not a breakout season, and if we had sold high we could very well have a Chris Sale, Shelby Miller or Julio Teheran in the rotation right now. 

His career OBP is .350.

softy acted like most of Red Sox Nation felt Jacoby would be the next Teddy Ballgame.

.350 is not far from .340.  Ellsbury doesn't have much if any more power than Crisp.  Other than 2011, he's never come close to 15 HRs.  I agree with you on defense and CS ratio.  But after 2011, I said we had to trade Ellsbury high.  I was eviscerated by posters who thought Ellsbury was not only the best player on the team, but one of the top 10 in all of baseball.  I think your prediction was .860 OPS with 20-25 HRs going forward.

[/QUOTE]

No, but most thought 2011 would be the new norm.  Even those who tapered their expectations predicted far better than what we have seen the past two years.

[/QUOTE]

This is silly no one could be more wrong about Ellsbury than Softy. He claimed that Ellsbury would be a 4th outfielder in the NL. Before 2011, said should the 5th Outfielder behind Cameron and McDonald. He also said that because Red Sox fans are all racists, Ellsbury instead or Ortiz was there favorite player. He also called him a prima Donna and said his teammates hated him. His best friend is Pedroia who is the leader of the clubhouse. Other than bill(who knows why), jackbu(Ortiz rubs him the wrong way), and 67(well yeah this is because of race) Ortiz is much more beloved than Ellsbury. Most people didn't think 32 HR would be the new norm. It should be noted his HR pace picked after a long drought, which could related to linger effect of the shoulder and players after shoulder injury have big drop offs in power. See Adrian Gonzalez. Selling Ellsbury high whole getting a better return than waiting for a comp pick would be a better return, how would it made this team better? So even if you predicted Ellsbury to be a power hitter you are closer to the truth than Softy solely because he is one of the better lead off hitters in baseball and not a scrub in the NL.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

His career OBP is .350.

.350 is not far from .340.

First, softy claimed he'd never hit .330 for a season. He then lied and said it was .340.

Second, yes .350 is close to ,340, but softy said Jacoby would never hit .340 for a full season. I'd say hitting .350 for his career is a being very very wrong.

Ellsbury doesn't have much if any more power than Crisp.

He doubled Coco's best year.

Other than 2011, he's never come close to 15 HRs.  I agree with you on defense and CS ratio.  But after 2011, I said we had to trade Ellsbury high.  

He was not alone. He pretends he is, and you feed his massive ego.

I was eviscerated by posters who thought Ellsbury was not only the best player on the team, but one of the top 10 in all of baseball.  I think your prediction was .860 OPS with 20-25 HRs going forward.

I wanted to trade Ellsbury after 2011 as well. Again, after 2012. 

I have never predicted any player "going forward". I do make seasonal projections. I will try and go back and find my prediction, but I do not think it was 20-25 HRs.

Yes, better than many, but niot most. Ellsbury is somewhere inbetween softy and the median point of other posters here. I'm not sure he closer to softy or the median of others, but it is close.

I seriously doubt softy would have projected a .350 OBP and a near 90% SB rate. Ells does have over 40 XBHs, but softy was certainly closer on the HRs this year than nearly everyone else. 

I disagree. I don't know many posters who felt Jacoby would continue 2011.

softy felt Jacoby was wrongly handed the CF job without earning it. He loved Crisp and held a grudge.

softy felt most Sox fans and the media thought Ellsbury was way better than he actually was.

As Ellsbury continued to improve, softy squirmed and sought out minute faults in Jacoby's game. He micro criticized every tiny mistake Jacoby made. It became an obsession. His anti-Jacoby obsession outpaced any pro-Jacoby obsession any poster here ever had.

Even during the 2011 season, softy was ranting about how Crisp was leading the league in triple in late May. When jacoby stole home, he called it a mistake. It was sick, and everyone here knows it but him and apparently you.

Nobody thought Jacoby was going to be the next Ted. Nobody.

Nobody suggest more outlandish trade Jacoby posts than softy the clown.

I agree the man was obsessed, but just because you're a paranoid schizophrenic, it doesn't mean everybody's not out to get you, and complaints aren't predictions.

Sick or not, Sox fans did think Ellsbury was much better than he really was. His OBP since 2011 is .336.  His OPS is .736.  Yeah, he was injured last year, but didn't Softy also predict that?

Maybe I should amend my original statement - since the end of the 2011 season, Softy's predictions regarding Ellsbury have been more right than most.  Fair?

I don't really have any love for the man.  I just think if we're going to dump on him in an Ellsbury thread, we should inject a little dose of reality.  If you thought we were going to see anything close to .285 / .337 / .399 after 2011, then dump away.  If you thought we would be seeing Mike Trout lite, then either man up or keep quiet.  That's fair, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

Correct, it was the aged, enthusiastic Johnny Pesky.  Softy may have known that up front but it was certainly pointed out to him many times.  But honesty and integrity are not the guy's strong points, are they?

Yes, it was pointed out many times, once by me. softy blasted me for calling Pesky "senial" on the comment.

softy was mad that a "golden boy" from a liberal left coast college got fast-tracked to steal Coco's job, and then was supposedly annointed "the second coming" by most fans.

Sure, there was excitement and hope after the 2007 Ellsbury season, but most posters here back then did not jump on small sample sizes like they do these days.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sick or not, Sox fans did think Ellsbury was much better than he really was. His OBP since 2011 is .336.  His OPS is .736.  Yeah, he was injured last year, but didn't Softy also predict that?

No, he did not predict the injury. He just harped on the length of time it took "Jake" to recover.

Maybe I should amend my original statement - since the end of the 2011 season, Softy's predictions regarding Ellsbury have been more right than most.  Fair?

Fair enough, but he still underestimated jacoby's 2013 impact by about as much as many overestimated it and still are today.

I don't really have any love for the man.  I just think if we're going to dump on him in an Ellsbury thread, we should inject a little dose of reality.  If you thought we were going to see anything close to .285 / .337 / .399 after 2011, then dump away.  If you thought we would be seeing Mike Trout lite, then either man up or keep quiet.  That's fair, right?

Agreed.

(BTW, I was not against softy's suggested trade for Kemp after 2011, I just thought it was not a trade LA would accept. I suggested several trades after 2011, that I thought were more reasonable.)

Sox4ever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

If SOFTY could respond, he would be so proud of the response to this thread.........  "As DAD would say............  "SON, ya can tell a lot about the guy, by who shows up for his wake" !!!!!!         R I P ,   SOFTY !!!!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

If SOFTY could respond, he would be so proud of the response to this thread.........  "As DAD would say............  "SON, ya can tell a lot about the guy, by who shows up for his wake" !!!!!!         R I P ,   SOFTY !!!!

So, I'm going to assume that "a brilliant poster" to you, as you call Softy, is one who goes immediately to the ad hominem attack when he disagrees with your BASEBALL opinions.  (better edit.....   as in someone who attacks you personally for who he thinks you are, yet avoids the substance of your point at all costs)  What's the standard Bill?  You have been crying on this thread about folks "attacking" & saying mean spirited things, yet you keep blowing smoke up stiffy's arrrsss, despite HIS LIBERAL use of the ad hominem.

When stiffy was not LIBERALLY employing the ad hominem, his fan favorite was race-baiting, openly provocative bigotry, blindly partisan demagoguery, demonization, gay bashing, & so many other high minded, high brow rhetorical devices.  Very erudite Socratic dialogue by the Stiff one!

No offense Bill...... but do you really have this hard a time understanding simple logic?  Are you even aware of the irony in the joke sniffy of such a vile demagogue, while whining about posters being mean to your hero?  LOL

Come on Billy!  You put on a good act, but not even you are this slow ;)

p.s.   If posters were to ATTACK Christians in the manner Stiffy & 67 are want to excoriate gays, would you consider them "great posters?"   As you do with The Stiff One???

p.p.s...   Billy....  Let's try an experiment.  Try responding to each point, & avoid cherry picking the ones you can handle.