Solution to 1st Base issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Solution to 1st Base issue

Speed dial... MIami......ask what they want.....review it and negotiate a deal for G stanton..

Prospects are still prospects....Here is a 25 yr old power hitter that solved the problem for years..

Keep dialing until done.... and  keep dialing...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Solution to 1st Base issue

Stanton ain't goin anywhere...he's under the Marlins control for 4 more years, being paid short moneys and will be part of the package the ownership group will use to sell tickets...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't mind giving Mauro Gomez a chance to be a fulltime 1B.  I think he can be a 30HR/100RBI guy if given chance.  

I would use money tied to Napoli on SP either via FA or trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A Red Sox offer of Dustin Pedroia, Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley might prompt a response from the Marlins.

Or not.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Lance Berkman for a song.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Until Stanton hits his arb years hes probably going nowhere. We can revisit this in a year or 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma09. Show scauma09's posts

Miami management would have to be on bath salts to trade one of the best young players in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Riuzzo?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

In response to bruinsGENIUS' comment:

Riuzzo?

I meant to say B Butler.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to fishers5's comment:

Speed dial... MIami......ask what they want.....review it and negotiate a deal for G stanton..

Prospects are still prospects....Here is a 25 yr old power hitter that solved the problem for years..

Keep dialing until done.... and  keep dialing...

Napoli's is still the Sox focus point. If this fails then apparently Laroche is next in line. And from here who knows.

If the Nats sign Laroche then maybe Morse will be on the block. Ike Davis rumours is quiet since the Dickey trade.

Gomez is still a reliable young back up 1B/DH/ and late innings or extra innings platoon player.

I am hoping that the Napoli and Laroche will be rejected. From here I would go for Morse who can play OF and 1B, from here see if Berkman is willing to sign a one year contract with a 2nd year option. Morse Berkman and Gomez will solve the OF and 1B problem.

Players on the possible trade block could be Iggy, Kalish, Brentz, pitching prospect and/ or Lavarnway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

why not put big papi at first?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Lance Berkman for a song.

i like berkman..but he wants 2 years...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

First off, Stanton is an OF and there's no sense of moving a young player who has a decent arm and speed to 1B, plus it is unlikely the Marlins are moving him since they already had their yard sale.

So if Napoli falls through, or even if he doesn't...how about soliciting the Twins for Justin Morneau? He's had a couple of down years due to injury and he might be obtainable now for a reasonable price.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I see many have started drinking early , instead of waiting for Dec. 31.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

trade for paul goldschmidt

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Arizona is crazy if they trade Goldschmidt.  And the cost in prospects would have to be enormous.  Problem is, the kind of productivity Goldschmidt offers at 1B is not hard to find; not enough to justify the cost in prospects he would incur.  But his backup is available, I am sure.  Same age.  Knows how to draw a walk.  Showed some power at one time in the minors...probably get him for a PTBNL or cash considerations...

If Napoli falls through, save the dough and give Gomez a chance.  His offense will probably be about what Berkman would provide, and he won't need a wheelchair or crutches to come out on the field to play 1B every inning.

Forget LaRoche.  The cost is too high.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Arizona is crazy if they trade Goldschmidt.  And the cost in prospects would have to be enormous.  Problem is, the kind of productivity Goldschmidt offers at 1B is not hard to find; not enough to justify the cost in prospects he would incur.  But his backup is available, I am sure.  Same age.  Knows how to draw a walk.  Showed some power at one time in the minors...probably get him for a PTBNL or cash considerations...

If Napoli falls through, save the dough and give Gomez a chance.  His offense will probably be about what Berkman would provide, and he won't need a wheelchair or crutches to come out on the field to play 1B every inning.

Forget LaRoche.  The cost is too high.

i think morales and JBJ would be enough to get the talks started

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If Morales and Bradley, Jr were enough to get it done, do it.  But if they are only enough to get the conversation started forget it. 

Firstbase is one of those positions, IMO, where you could rotate from year to year from one good value player contract to another and get at least league average production without much difficulty.  Not worth giving up the farm for just because the guy is young and settles the position for the next 4 years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

Stanton is a RF, with a cannon arm.

Why would you waste a 22 year old at 1st base, when

he's a capable OF????

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

If Morales and Bradley, Jr were enough to get it done, do it.  But if they are only enough to get the conversation started forget it. 

Firstbase is one of those positions, IMO, where you could rotate from year to year from one good value player contract to another and get at least league average production without much difficulty.  Not worth giving up the farm for just because the guy is young and settles the position for the next 4 years.

i disagree, check out the FA available who could be had for 1 year, aside from berkman (and its doubtful he could even be had on a  year deal) there is no one who could give you league avg production at 1B. doing that every year doesn't sound like you;d get very far.

anyway, the center of the trade would revolve around JBJ and PG. Pieces are then added around that to even out the talent swapped. Personally, i think JBJ and Morales would be enough to get it done but lowel level prospects could also be swapped. if thats not enough i would give JBJ + doobie and then slot Morales/Aceves into the rotation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I like either of your proposals.  Morales or Doubie would not be deal breakers for me, and JBJ for PG is a reasonable trade off.  For the Sox it makes sense, since they are fairly deep in OF prospects and extremely light on 1B prospects.

That said, it is my position that there is a Berkman or two or three available every off-season.  I admit that the new qualifying offer it makes my position a little trickier to pull off, but certainly not undoable.

But I still think Arizona would not trade Goldschmidt for anything close to what you are proposing because they do not have a plethora of young 1Bmen waiting in the wings (at least that I am aware of).  Their backup is none other than Lars Anderson.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

A Red Sox offer of Dustin Pedroia, Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes and Jackie Bradley might prompt a response from the Marlins.

Or not.

Ha! Looks good, but the Marlins would not want Pedey's salary! They might also want inexpensive pitching...

Doubront, Morales, Brentz, Barnes, Tazawa, and another prospect.

That would give them a pitching staff....

I think that anyone over $2M in salary to the Marlins is a no-go!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

This is Miami. Stanton would be traded if Miami got a spectacular deal in return, but Miami would not want any of our veteran players because of the cost. They would want players with MLB experience AND very high end prospects. The question is would you be willing to develop a package with 3 of the 4 B's and possibly some players like WMB. Hey, Gomez was MVP in AAA. Maybe the Marlins would give him a shot!

Miami would want 2-3 MLB-ready players for Stanton, and then some.

My point is that G Stanton can be acquired, but it will cost an awful lot. The problem with the RS is that they are not in the mode to push their prospects to MLB-level early, which leaves us with very few desirable pieces for this type of trade.

Still does not really address first base, but I would be behind Berkman/Gomez if Napoli does not pan out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

This is Miami. Stanton would be traded if Miami got a spectacular deal in return, but Miami would not want any of our veteran players because of the cost. They would want players with MLB experience AND very high end prospects. The question is would you be willing to develop a package with 3 of the 4 B's and possibly some players like WMB. Hey, Gomez was MVP in AAA. Maybe the Marlins would give him a shot!

Miami would want 2-3 MLB-ready players for Stanton, and then some.

My point is that G Stanton can be acquired, but it will cost an awful lot. The problem with the RS is that they are not in the mode to push their prospects to MLB-level early, which leaves us with very few desirable pieces for this type of trade.

Still does not really address first base, but I would be behind Berkman/Gomez if Napoli does not pan out.

Spot on, IMO.

Sections
Shortcuts