Solution to 1st Base issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Solution to 1st Base issue

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

Ha! Looks good, but the Marlins would not want Pedey's salary! They might also want inexpensive pitching...

The Marlins had an Opening Day payroll of $118 million. Just as the Red Sox had money to spend after their August salary dump, the Marlins have money to spend after their November salary dump. In this market, Dustin Pedroia's 2013 salary of $10.25 million would not be a deal-breaker.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stanton ain't goin anywhere...he's under the Marlins control for 4 more years, being paid short moneys and will be part of the package the ownership group will use to sell tickets...

[/QUOTE]

I think the Oakland A's and Tampa Bay Rays will have better attendance than the Marlins.  LOL

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Except Stanton is unavailable for a reasonable price, and he's not even a first baseman.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Bailey, Gomez, Ellsbury to the Mets for Ike Davis

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ha! Looks good, but the Marlins would not want Pedey's salary! They might also want inexpensive pitching...

The Marlins had an Opening Day payroll of $118 million. Just as the Red Sox had money to spend after their August salary dump, the Marlins have money to spend after their November salary dump. In this market, Dustin Pedroia's 2013 salary of $10.25 million would not be a deal-breaker.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Hill! In the latest rendition of Marlin's salary dumps, it would seem that they do not want to approach their old payroll of $118M.

I would bet that their opening day 2013 payroll does not top $50M. My point is that they would not want to pick up Pedey's salary if it is 20% of their payroll.

Here is a question for you. If you are the Marlins and DID have the money to either have Pedey or WMB, which would you choose?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Aside from Goldschmidt and the aging LaRoche, all of these options are DHs that would be forced to carry leather.  That could be a disaster to the IF defensIve left side.  M'brooks has shown a somewhat erratic arm, and any SS with good range will often be rushing throws across the field.  You need somone that can make a strong stretch or dig, and knows when to come off the bag to prevent the wild throw.  Bergman, Napoli, Gomez, Butler and Ortiz will only tend to extend innings putting more pressure on starters and pen alike.  Best bet could be LaRoche even with a high probability that you eat year 3, or a trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

It's gotta be a platoon. Maybe with parts yet to be aquired. A couple of washed up outfielders looking to hang on. A couple of guys with some power and Big Pappi  speed will do. We aren't looking for much. Something on the cheap. Let's see how it plays out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Rather than trade, promote from within.

2013 has Drew at SS. 2014: Give Iggy a shot. If not, RS need a long-term solution at SS.

Develop Bogaerts into a corner IF. If you think that WMB is erratic with his throws, then put Bogaerts at 3rd and WMB at first in 2014.

Get Berkman/Gomez for 2013 or just go with Gomez.

I'd hate to see us with a 3-year contract for an aging player. I am all for getting Bogaerts at the MLB level ASAP

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why don't you throw in Lester, Boagerts, and Salty too.

Jeesh!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Here is a question for you. If you are the Marlins and DID have the money to either have Pedey or WMB, which would you choose?

Dustin Pedroia ... the established player with a Gold Glove and a reasonable salary.

Pedroia has a career on-base percentage of .369 after a minor league OBP of .392 while Middlebrooks has an OBP of .325 in his short MLB career (.276 post-Youkilis trade) after a minor league OBP of .333.

Pedroia ranked No. 34 on the list of Top 50 trade values compiled in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron. Will Middlebrooks was not listed.

I still view Middlebrooks as a lottery ticket whose ceiling might be Mark Reynolds (to mix a metaphor).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would not put Gomez in this deal or Bailey. The reason is these 2 should get a chance to prove themselves for one season as depth players.

The Mets are looking for youth/prospects Kalish and Iggy will most likely be potential targets for the Mets. After the Dickey trade, apparently the Mets are in youth developement this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

They should trade for Adrian Gonzalez. His swing is perfect for fenway. Then they could sign him to an extension.

Oh wait a second........

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why don't you throw in Lester, Boagerts, and Salty too.

Jeesh!

[/QUOTE]

But you hate Bailey!  And Gomez is a AAAA guy.  And Ells has one fairly expensive year to go before he leaves.  Why is that such a huge offer?  I think the Mets would say no.

Or are you so used to complaining about everything it's become instinctive?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Nobody here thinks that Justin Morneau should be in the discussion if a team is looking to trade for a 1B?? I threw this out there earlier here and I don't understand why nobody commented good or bad about looking to acquire this guy...I'd take him over Butler and Davis.

Plus, I think we can all but rule out Stanton...either coming to Boston or as a 1B. One of the best young OFs in the game and someone wants to move him to 1B...sometimes I just don't get it I guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickEO. Show RickEO's posts

If Boegarts is our SS of the future thats great, if not move him over to 1st base yesterday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody here thinks that Justin Morneau should be in the discussion if a team is looking to trade for a 1B?? I threw this out there earlier here and I don't understand why nobody commented good or bad about looking to acquire this guy...I'd take him over Butler and Davis.

Plus, I think we can all but rule out Stanton...either coming to Boston or as a 1B. One of the best young OFs in the game and someone wants to move him to 1B...sometimes I just don't get it I guess.

[/QUOTE]

Morneau's career OPS is less than Napoli's.  Napoli battled a hamstring injury throughout last year, and still had an OPS that was considerably higher than Morneaus.  Morneau's injury history is just as shanky as Napoli's.  Morneau would cost prospects; whereas, Napoli wouldnt.  Morneau is a free agent after 2013.

I'd rather have LaRoche or Napoli, personally. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I would trade Ellsbury straight up for Davis. He can be really bad at times.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lance Berkman for a song.

[/QUOTE]

i like berkman..but he wants 2 years...

[/QUOTE]

1+1 may do it plus incentives. He's a perfect fit for our club.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dustin Pedroia ... the established player with a Gold Glove and a reasonable salary.

Pedroia has a career on-base percentage of .369 after a minor league OBP of .392 while Middlebrooks has an OBP of .325 in his short MLB career (.276 post-Youkilis trade) after a minor league OBP of .333.

Pedroia ranked No. 34 on the list of Top 50 trade values compiled in July by FanGraphs columnist Dave Cameron. Will Middlebrooks was not listed.

I still view Middlebrooks as a lottery ticket whose ceiling might be Mark Reynolds (to mix a metaphor).

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Pedey is one of my favorite players. I hope that he has an injury-free season. That was my worry, and I wanted to see how you evaluated that. His problem is not staying on the field, cause he is going to be there anyway. His problem is staying on the field and being healthy.

WMB started hot and then went through a period where the pitchers adjusted to him. Should be interesting to see how he adjusts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey raider! Berkman wants 2 years? Is that posted somewhere?

I would still give him two years at a reasonable price. He could be back-up for Papi at DH for year 2. 1+1 would be fine too, if he accepts it.

I thought Berkman was going to be the Astros DH, but they went with Pena. He could still go there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Go with Gomez and put 1st baseman's glove on Lavarnway and Salty in spring training. One of them might be able to do the job.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hey raider! Berkman wants 2 years? Is that posted somewhere?

I would still give him two years at a reasonable price. He could be back-up for Papi at DH for year 2. 1+1 would be fine too, if he accepts it.

I thought Berkman was going to be the Astros DH, but they went with Pena. He could still go there.

[/QUOTE]

http://nesn.com/2012/11/report-lance-berkman-says-red-sox-among-teams-in-tire-kicking-mode-for-his-services/

i think he wants big money also..or he just walks away from the game....