Solution to 1st Base issue

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Solution to 1st Base issue

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BOSOX1941's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Go with Gomez and put 1st baseman's glove on Lavarnway and Salty in spring training. One of them might be able to do the job.

[/QUOTE]

Terry would not think of anything like that, I never had a problem with his father, Tito.

If Tito did that, you would go even more out of your mind.

whiner

[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

Is George "Tater" Scott available?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Marlins are reportedly listening on offers for Stanton...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/marlins-will-listen-on-giancarlo-stanton.html

It would probably take something like Bogaerts, Barnes & Webster. 

This might be the only guy in MLB not named Trout I'd do this for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins are reportedly listening on offers for Stanton...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/marlins-will-listen-on-giancarlo-stanton.html

It would probably take something like Bogaerts, Barnes & Webster. 

This might be the only guy in MLB not named Trout I'd do this for.

[/QUOTE]

I hope the RS get him. That would definitely change the off season.

Lackey plus cash???? Lots of cash??? just kidding.

Ellsbury (plus $6M), Doubront, Morales (Drew says he is old, which is true, but he can pitch and is affordable even at Marlins money), Kalish, one of Iggy/Holt/Ciriaco, Barnes, Brentz.

7 players for 1. 5 have MLB experience, 2 are chosen from our highest prospects. Heck, instead of Iggy/Holt/Ciriaco, let's throw in Drew plus $9M!! ;-)

If they don't take Kalish then offer Lava or Salty (plus cash).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

G Stanton in RF allows us to go weaker at 1B than hoped for.

It also allows us to trade Ellsbury for prospects to help replenish the loss of prospects going to FLA.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It also allows us to trade Ellsbury for prospects to help replenish the loss of prospects going to FLA.

[/QUOTE]

What do you think it would cost us?

I have offered three tiers of developing outfielders in my plan. Ells is the immediate draw, Kalish has plenty of up side, and Brentz is the future replacement. Pitching is also addressed as well as their need for SS/2nd. Because we added Holt, one of Holt/Ciriaco are expendable but they are valuable pieces.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Marlins would be looking for the best offer, not an offer that merely represents fair value. Several teams could make fair offers, but the Marlins would be likely to accept only an offer that goes the furthest beyond fair.

Would an offer of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley, Garin Cecchini and Henry Owens be too much?

I suspect it would take an offer of that magnitude for the Marlins to trade Giancarlo Stanton this offseason (which is why Stanton is unlikely to be traded soon).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Marlins would be looking for the best offer, not an offer that merely represents fair value. Several teams could make fair offers, but the Marlins would be likely to accept only an offer that goes the furthest beyond fair.

Would an offer of Xander Bogaerts, Matt Barnes, Jackie Bradley, Garin Cecchini and Henry Owens be too much?

I suspect it would take an offer of that magnitude for the Marlins to trade Giancarlo Stanton this offseason (which is why Stanton is unlikely to be traded soon).

[/QUOTE]

Hey Hill. Fair enough, but it would not solve their immediate problem.... Placating the fans after G. Stanton left this season, which is why I offered some MLB-proven talent. However, I would go with your proposal.

One of the interesting 2014 FA's will be K. Morales. My understanding is that he is in his last arb year and next year, he will be a free agent. If he has a good year in Seattle, I would try to sign him for 1st base next year. My point is that if we got Stanton at the price including Bogaerts, RS could live with Iggy/Holt/Ciriaco at SS next year and acquire Morales for the other corner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have offered three tiers of developing outfielders in my plan. Ells is the immediate draw, Kalish has plenty of up side, and Brentz is the future replacement. Pitching is also addressed as well as their need for SS/2nd. Because we added Holt, one of Holt/Ciriaco are expendable but they are valuable pieces.

[/QUOTE]

They don't want Ellsbury, but maybe a 3-way deal can land them a prospect or two they want. I'd try to add to that anyone other than Bogaerts and Barnes, but I think Barnes will have to be part of the deal along with Bradley and others.

I'd also see if we could lessen the hit by taking on Nolasco's $11.5M deal.

I really want us to try and make this happen, but within reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

ohmygod screw   all this  tradeing or sighning a big high stakes first basemen here,s what ya do redsox keep in all in house you actually got the peices from  the pirates in holts and pc  so put eithe pc over at 3rd push mister middlebrooks to 1st base  and make brock holt either a back up at ss or 2nd base or make him 3rd basemen instead of pc i know he might be to short but it,s been done before . but we know how injury can be so holt or pc will be good to have as back ups but one should start at 3rd and will middlebrooks should go to first if he,s willing ofcourse have you seen his are

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to 808soxfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They don't want Ellsbury, but maybe a 3-way deal can land them a prospect or two they want. I'd try to add to that anyone other than Bogaerts and Barnes, but I think Barnes will have to be part of the deal along with Bradley and others.

I'd also see if we could lessen the hit by taking on Nolasco's $11.5M deal.

I really want us to try and make this happen, but within reason.

[/QUOTE]

Considering Nolasco puts RS in a slightly different position. They have the cash to take this on. Of course, I think that the main competition would be the Rangers. They have all sorts of money and parts, and the need for an outfielder. They could make a trade around Andrus. Not sure that they would deal Profar, but the Marlins would probably prefer him because of cost/control.

Can't see the Yankess having the pieces or cash.

Can't see the Angels wanting it as their outfield is crowded as is. Trumbo and Bourjos as a basis for a trade for Stanton? If I were the Angels, having Stanton, Pujols, Trout, and Hamilton would be pretty awesome.

Dodgers? Endless cash.