Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli!

In Response to Re: Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli! : I agree that there really aren't untouchables in the organization at the moment.  And, certainly there can be no blanket statement about not giving up prospects.  Also, agreed about the Gonzalez deal being grand theft. But, to me, the unknowns of Lavarnway and Napoli, when you throw in having to give up prospects to get Mike, even eachother out:  Unknown for Lav is that he has only had a cup o' coffee and no guarantees about his impending Fisk-dom.  Unknown for Napoli is whether his 2011 offensive production was an abberation or late-career maturation/growth.  For my money, I would rather roll the dice on youth in this case, since they both have very similar skill-sets at this point.  Lavarnway could potentially develop into a good catcher (maybe not), but we know for a fact that Nap is more of a DH type.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Good point, Space.  I would make the move for Napoli, but see your point about rolling the dice w Lava instead.  Just one thing to note about Napoli: his 2011 numbers werent as much as an abberation as you may think.  The power is consistently there.  He's a very underrated hitter.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

But I do like Lava too and am happy with him starting at Catcher.  I think he wins the job from Salty this spring (if he hasnt already)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]But I do like Lava too and am happy with him starting at Catcher.  I think he wins the job from Salty this spring (if he hasnt already)
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
     We shall see.  Certainly has turned into a very exciting aspect of this camp.  I am pretty psyched.  Going down to florida Friday for a few days of Sox ST junket.  Great spring to finally do it, what with the rotation comp, catcher comp, and chance to see Iggy before he goes to Pawtucket.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli!:
    [QUOTE]Texas is hesitant to give Napoli even a 4 yr / 48 million dollar extension.  That being the case, they clearly undervalue him.  I would trade Middlebrooks, Lavarnaway and Renaudo TODAY.  We need a #4 hitter and imagine having one that can CATCH!   I've broken down the stats in other threads.  The difference between a below average defensive catcher and an elite one is about 8-10 runs / year (4-5 for extra passed balls, 4-5 for extra stolen bases allowed).  That's 3-4 homeruns.  Will Napoli hit 3-4 more runs than the average catcher?  ABSOLUTELY. Either Bobby V or McLure is calling the pitches this year. So calling the game is irrelevant.  Napoli may be the best all-around catcher in the league.  We jump from team full of questionmarks to powerhouse if he acquire him!! http://www.bbtia.com/home/2012/3/12/mike-napoli-and-the-case-of-the-missing-long-term-contract.html

Wow... Our future 3B, #1 or 2 SP, and C for a part-time catcher for most of his career?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Texas is hesitant to give Napoli even a 4 yr / 48 million dollar extension.  That being the case, they clearly undervalue him.  I would trade Middlebrooks, Lavarnaway and Renaudo TODAY.  We need a #4 hitter and imagine having one that can CATCH!   I've broken down the stats in other threads.  The difference between a below average defensive catcher and an elite one is about 8-10 runs / year (4-5 for extra passed balls, 4-5 for extra stolen bases allowed).  That's 3-4 homeruns.  Will Napoli hit 3-4 more runs than the average catcher?  ABSOLUTELY. Either Bobby V or McLure is calling the pitches this year. So calling the game is irrelevant.  Napoli may be the best all-around catcher in the league.  We jump from team full of questionmarks to powerhouse if he acquire him!! http://www.bbtia.com/home/2012/3/12/mike-napoli-and-the-case-of-the-missing-long-term-contract.html

When the Sox acquired Vmart, I thought we had our catcher for the next 4 to 5 years. A good defensive catcher who handles balls in the dirt and blacks the plate well. He worked great with both Buch and Lester. Not a great CS % but much of that is on the pitcher.
    Because Epstein had to have Salty, we jettisoned one of the best hitting catchers in the AL, in favor of sieve behind the plate, who strikes out far too much.
    Now that Lavarway is making his mark, it appears that the Sox are still going go with the Salty experiment for another year, and while Napoli has really come alive on offense last year, his lifetime BA is still just .264 and his CS 25%. 3 top prospects for a 30 y/o catcher? I think not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]A prospect does not equal a prospect.  They are all individuals, therefore blanket rules like: "dont trade your prospects" should be avoided.  I havent seen an untradable prospect on the sox in quite some time.  We just havent been nailing the drafts like we use to. I maintain that we should go to jail for trading Kelly+Rizzo for AGON.  While they were our top 2 prospects at the time, neither were that good. At this point, Im willing to give Lavarnaway a try.  I just think that Texaxs doesnt know what they have in Napoli.  Hill implies that the trade would be terrible for Texas.  Hill, I completely agree, I just wonder if Texas agrees because they wont up their offer to him.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]Just like Lincoln going to the theater, (outside of that mrs. lincoln, how did you enjoy the play)  your baseball seems to all come from the "book" with the question being , have you ever played the game, beyond t-ball ???????????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as much as i like mike napoli, i think we have our own younger version of him in ryan lavarnway. And i think lavarnway will be a better defensive catcher than napoli as well. If we are going to trade for someone it best be a starting pitcher. (or we could just sign oswalt) also we should sign mike gonzalez as we need a reliable lefty in the pen. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Not sure if that ankle of his is fully healed from last year. He tends to get out of shape. Does he call a good game?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

You would trade Lavarnway?  The wonder prospect for Napoli?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli! : You would trade Lavarnway?  The wonder prospect for Napoli?
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE] SOLYNDRA........ Now there is a great company, the "BIG O" loves the "GREEN" so much that he gave them 535mil, (not just 535mil) but 535mil of tax payers $$$$$$$$$......  What a deal !!!   the  "BIG O's" 535MIL  FAT-CAT$  !!!!!!   Ya got to love it !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli! : What does this make you, a conservative/name-caller?
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Dont listen to him... all he does is scream to blow it up but he never has any solutions.....if anyone is on the sauce, its him....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Solution to 2012: Trade for Napoli! : SOLYNDRA........ Now there is a great company, the "BIG O" loves the "GREEN" so much that he gave them 535mil, (not just 535mil) but 535mil of tax payers $$$$$$$$$......  What a deal !!!   the  "BIG O's" 535MIL  FAT-CAT$  !!!!!!   Ya got to love it !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Hope and Change Bill!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lets just keep salty - he's only 26, and lava...i think he could be useful as well...i say no thank you...i like our catchers this year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyler Scionti. Show tyler Scionti's posts

I didn't know Naopli was an ace pitcher too! The Sox offense is fine, if they are going to trade away their best prospects (Middlebrooks is projected to be a Longoria type player) it better be for a very good starting pitcher. The lineup is stacked, they need PITCHING more than anything else.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't know Naopli was an ace pitcher too! The Sox offense is fine, if they are going to trade away their best prospects (Middlebrooks is projected to be a Longoria type player) it better be for a very good starting pitcher. The lineup is stacked, they need PITCHING more than anything else.
    Posted by tyler Scionti[/QUOTE]

I've never heard Middlebrooks mentioned as a Longoria type, but I have suggested trading Middlebrooks, Anderson and Bowden for Gavin Floyd.

I actually would bet that the combination of Bogaerts and Cecchini has a better chance of becoming a good FT 3Bman than Middlebrooks. (We also have Vitek and possibly could move Sean Coyle to 3B as well.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't know Naopli was an ace pitcher too! The Sox offense is fine, if they are going to trade away their best prospects (Middlebrooks is projected to be a Longoria type player) it better be for a very good starting pitcher. The lineup is stacked, they need PITCHING more than anything else.
    Posted by tyler Scionti[/QUOTE]
    Will Middlebrooks plays the same position as Evan Longoria, but the similarity* ends there.

Middlebrooks last year finished his age 22 season with 16 games at the Triple A level while Longoria was American League Rookie of the Year in his age 22 season. Longoria is a disciplined hitter, while Middlebrooks is not, as evidenced by their career minor league statistics:

Middlebrooks 1606 PA, .272/.330/.440/.770, 121 BB (7.5%), 431 K (26.8%)
    Evan Longoria 898 PA, .300/.386/.541/.926, 97 BB (10.8%), 161 K (17.9%)

Mark Reynolds, who had a lower minor league strikeout rate than Middlebrooks, might be a closer comp.

* nevertheless, the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo at least twice has written that Middlebrooks has the "look" of Longoria:
    http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-11/sports/29761811_1_middlebrooks-number-of-power-hitters-difficult-position
    http://articles.boston.com/2012-03-09/sports/31136688_1_middlebrooks-big-kid-bats