Some fun Red Sox facts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Some fun Red Sox facts

From WEEI.com:

—————————————————————————————————————————–

* – Over the last three games, the Red Sox have faced three of the best starting pitchers in the game in Felix Hernandez, Jered Weaver, and Dan Haren. And they won all three games. Against the starters, the Red Sox went 21-for-81 (.259) with four doubles and one home run. Once the starters left the game, the Sox battered the bullpens to the tune of 10-for-24 (.417) with three doubles, a triple, and three home runs.

* – Last night, Jon Lester was brilliant again. Here’s what was working for him:

Curveball: Lester threw 13 curves, 10 for strikes, and the Angels went 0-for-3 with three strikeouts. He averaged +1.69 points per pitch overall with his curve including a whopping +2.00 vs. righthanded batters (11 curves). His curveball YTD average vs. RHB entering last night: +0.17. Masterful.

Fastball: I’m combining his two-seam and four-seam here as he was “on” with both, averaging +1.25 points per pitch on the 59 fastballs thrown, leading to 2-for-17 with nine strikeouts. The +1.25 mark was easily his best fastball average of the season, eclipsing the +0.95 average he put up in the 1-0 loss in Cleveland on April 7.

Change: Lester threw only four changeups, but all four were strikes, getting two outs while allowing one single.

* – The Red Sox homered three times on Tuesday night. It was the third time this season that they’ve hit three in a game. They have yet to hit more than three in a single contest. Last season, they hit three or more 24 times.

Note this: All three homers came in the 8th inning (Gonzalez, Ortiz, Scutaro), marking the first time that the Red Sox have hit three home runs in an inning since last August 13, when Ortiz, Beltre, and Drew all homered in the 4th inning in Texas.

And this: Since the start of the 2008 season, every team has had at least one instance where they have homered three or more times in an inning except the Mets and the Royals.

And this too: Boston, San Diego, and Atlanta are the only teams that have not allowed a three-HR inning since the start of the 2008 season. Kudos to anyone that remembers the last time the Red Sox allowed three homers in an inning: July 30, 2006 at Fenway against the Angels, Curt Schilling allowed 3rd inning home runs to Orlando Cabrera, Vlad Guerrero, and Juan Rivera.

Finally: The Angels (for the time being) are the only team that has allowed a three-HR inning in each of the last four seasons. The Royals, Twins, Brewers, and Blue Jays have given one (or more) up in each of the last three years, but none in 2011… yet.

* – David Ortiz homered for the second straight game on Tuesday, the third time in 2011 that a Red Sox’ has done it in consecutive games (Ortiz, Ellsbury). No Red Sox player has homered in a third straight (in a single season) since Jason Bay’s four-game streak in September, 2009. The club record streak is five games, done by five different players: Jose Canseco (1995), George Scott (1977), Dick Stuart (1963), Ted Williams (1957), and Jimmie Foxx (1940).

* – The Red Sox forced Jered Weaver into 38 pitches in the fifth inning on Monday, highlighted by the epic, 13-pitch, masterpiece offered up by Dustin Pedroia. Not only had Weaver not thrown that many pitches in any inning this season, his previous high was just 27. The 38 pitches tied his highest inning since 2008 (664 innings pitched in that span).

Note this: Weaver has now thrown more than 20 pitches in eight different innings this year and THREE of those came Monday.

* – Red Sox had three consecutive extra base hits in the 7th inning on Monday. It was the first time this season that they’ve done it. The last time they pulled it off at Fenway was last June 11 vs. Jamie Moyer and the Phillies. The interesting thing about that one? They had FOUR straight in the first inning, then turned around and did it AGAIN in the second inning!

They also had three straight EBH in four other games in 2010, three of them on the road.

* – The Angels went 7-for-11 against Clay Buchholz’ four-seam fastball Monday night, and 1-for-15 against everything else. For the season, Buchholz’ four-seamer has averaged -0.18 quality points per pitch, third worst in the majors (min. 200 four-seamers thrown):

-0.37 – Kyle Davies, KC
    -0.34 – Jhoulys Chacin, COL
    -0.18 – Clay Buchholz, BOS

Note this: From the start of the season through April 20, Buchholz’ -0.44 quality points per pitch against right-handed batters (eight walks vs. only three strikeouts) was the worst in the majors among right-handed pitchers (min. 150 pitches to RHB):

-0.44 – Clay Buchholz, BOS
    -0.05 – Kyle Davies, KC
    -0.03 – Brad Penny, DET

In his last two starts, he’s found a bit of a groove against righties, putting up a +0.55 with 6 strikeouts vs. only one walk.

* – Boston had lost the last 11 times that they’ve allowed 13 or more hits in a game before Monday’s win. The last time they won such a game prior to that was last June 24 in Colorado… another Dustin Pedroia special where he went 5-for-5 and homered three times, including the 8th and 10th innings.

* – Here are the results of Angels’ reliever Francisco Rodriguez’ first 19 pitches in the 8th inning of Monday’s game:

11 called balls, including one ball four (-25 points)
     4 strikes, either called, swinging, or fouls (+8 points)
     1 batted ball out (+4 points)
     3 extra-base hits: 2 doubles and a HR (-31 points)

Average quality points per pitch: -2.32

* – So far in 2011 (through Monday night), Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .472 (20-for-42) in the first three innings, is 1-for-22 in innings four and five, and .280 (14-for-50) after the fifth inning.

* – Angels’ number three hitter Howie Kendrick collected two hits in Monday’s game. Why is that interesting? Because the Red Sox had held opposing #3 hitters to a .177 average entering the game. Kendrick’s hits raised the mark to .188, still easily the best/lowest in the AL. Opposing third spot hitters have just one home run, a .250 slugging percentage, and a .516 OPS against Boston, all AL bests.

* – The Orioles’ pitching staff has fallen behind 3-and-0 on 41 batters this season, and 34 of them have ended up taking a walk. Two of the other seven ended up hitting a homer.

* – Twins pitchers have hit three batters with 0-and-2 pitches already this season. They hit only four batters on 0-2 counts during all of last season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BizzaroLaw. Show BizzaroLaw's posts

Re: Some fun Red Sox facts

thanks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

Here's a fun red flops fact....even with their 3 game winning streak they are still a sub .500 team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

Derek Jeter has gone 277 ABs without hittinng a HR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts:
    Here's a fun red flops fact....even with their 3 game winning streak they are still a sub .500 team.
    Posted by Babe-1

ha! not for long Babe!!!!! not for long my friend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by Babe-1

Sub .500 and still only 4 games behind NY. By the way,how did your "Ace" CC do last night?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts :  Sub .500 and still only 4 games behind NY. By the way,how did your "Ace" CC do last night?

Posted by mrmojo1120

CC struggled last night and the team didn't give him much run support.

And last I checked the red flops are 5 back in the loss column.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : CC struggled last night and the team didn't give him much run support. And last I checked the red flops are 5 back in the loss column.
    Posted by Babe-1

Three weeks ago, the Sox were 5 games back in the loss column.

The Yankees are really tearing it up.

Enjoy it while you can. The Yankees had a chance to pull away and couldn't get it done, even while playing 2/3 of their games at home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : Three weeks ago, the Sox were 5 games back in the loss column. The Yankees are really tearing it up. Enjoy it while you can. The Yankees had a chance to pull away and couldn't get it done, even while playing 2/3 of their games at home.

Posted by niz-58

They don't need to pull away, just need to stay in front. Doesn't matter if you win the division by 1 game or 20 games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : They don't need to pull away, just need to stay in front. Doesn't matter if you win the division by 1 game or 20 games.
    Posted by Babe-1

Well, if you really believe the Sox are going to stay around .500, good luck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : Well, if you really believe the Sox are going to stay around .500, good luck.

Posted by niz-58

Can you please point out exactly what would indicate that they are not a .500 team?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Does being 12 and 5 in their last 17 games count?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

14 - 9 since their 0-6 start, for starters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : Can you please point out exactly what would indicate that they are not a .500 team?
    Posted by Babe-1

I'm not trying to talk you out of it.

Please, keep thinking the Sox are going nowhere.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

14 - 9 since their 0-6 start, for starters.

Posted by parhunter1

and 4-4 in their last 8 games.

See how easy it is to cherry pick?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

including 3 wins over some of the best pitchers in baseball, Hernandez, Weaver, and Haren. Let me see the Yanks do that. We will be a .500 team by the end of today don't worry Babe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Does being 12 and 5 in their last 17 games count?
    Posted by MikeNagy
    man Mike, what kind of Beni stat is that???....Tongue outWink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

3-0 last 3 games against 3 of the AL best pitchers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

Yankee fans talking mess in early May, isn't that what they always make fun of Red Sox fans for doing?

I guess when you got the Knicks, Rangers, and Islanders you don't have much else to pay attention to this time of year.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

Yankee fans talking mess in early May, isn't that what they always make fun of Red Sox fans for doing? I guess when you got the Knicks, Rangers, and Islanders you don't have much else to pay attention to this time of year.   

Posted by Calmy

Wouldn't matter to me if the knicks, rangers or islanders were still in it, I don't follow those sports. Just baseball and football for me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : Wouldn't matter to me if the knicks, rangers or islanders were still in it, I don't follow those sports. Just baseball and football for me.
    Posted by Babe-1

Hard to blame to ya, not much to follow.  I'm guessing you claim the Giants?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : Hard to blame to ya, not much to follow.  I'm guessing you claim the Giants?

Posted by Calmy

I didn't follow the islanders when they were winning back in the day. I hate hockey. But it's not like the bruins have won anything lately.

I refuse to follow the Knicks until the dolans sell the team. They are idiots who won't get any of my money. But to say "not much to follow" is kinda funny since the celtics struggled to beat them in the first 2 games and then blew them out after billups and stoudemire got hurt. And it's showing now in the heat series. The celtics are on a decline.

And I have been a diehard Giants fan since I was a kid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : I didn't follow the islanders when they were winning back in the day. I hate hockey. But it's not like the bruins have won anything lately. I refuse to follow the Knicks until the dolans sell the team. They are idiots who won't get any of my money. But to say "not much to follow" is kinda funny since the celtics struggled to beat them in the first 2 games and then blew them out after billups and stoudemire got hurt. And it's showing now in the heat series. The celtics are on a decline. And I have been a diehard Giants fan since I was a kid.
    Posted by Babe-1

No, I just knew if I said "not much to follow" you would then prove that you actually kind of follow but say you don't because they all stink. I don't know how anyone can hate hockey.  The Celtics are declining but that is better than calling a first round sweep "improvement". That series is going back to Miami 2-2!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : man Mike, what kind of Beni stat is that???....
    Posted by jete02fan

Hey!

Yell

Wink

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Babe-1. Show Babe-1's posts

In Response to Re: Some fun Red Sox facts : No, I just knew if I said "not much to follow" you would then prove that you actually kind of follow but say you don't because they all stink. I don't know how anyone can hate hockey.  The Celtics are declining but that is better than calling a first round sweep "improvement". That series is going back to Miami 2-2!!!  

Posted by Calmy

I don't "follow" them but I do watch espn, kinda hard to miss the basketball highlights on Sportscenter and the discussions on Around the Horn and PTI.

Like I said, I didn't follow the islanders when they won 4 in a row, so it's not just because they stink.

I don't know how anyone can like hockey. The only place I want to see ice is in my drink at happy hour.

Sections
Shortcuts