Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........

Could be a "SEMI-TRANSFORMATION" That I have been calling for !!!  What say you , all you T-Ball G M's & Managers ?????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........

I say this! "let me be clear, bring up Cook as fast as possible!" Put Bard back in the pen as the set up guy and get cook in the starting slot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........

Bard gets another start before then.  I'm guessing Bard goes back to the bullpen, but not if he has a good start Friday in Chicago.  Cook might go to the bullpen, or he might even be trade bait for, say, a good reliever. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

We just have to wait until Friday, and see how Bard do.  

If Bard struggles, he is moving to the bullpen, Thomas will be send down to the minor league, and Boston will call up Cook to take Bard's starting rotation spot.

If Bucholtz struggles, it is more likely he could go on DL, and Cook will be call up to take his spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Like I posted on another thread. If Bard has another strong start and looks like he can be an above-average starter, why wouldn't you want to keep that young arm in the rotation. Look at the praise the Rays have with the young, home-grown starters in the rotation.

If Felix continues to work out along with Bard, the Sox would have four home-grown young starters under 30. How many teams can say that?

If Bard does goe to the bullpen, he needs to be the closer. He's an elite arm. It's one thing to set up a Papelbon, but Aceves isn't a Papelbon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

It's win win with Cook.  If Bard falters and Cook goes to the rotation, great.  If Bard is the starter, love having a rightie sinkerballer coming out of the pen, especially at fenway.  Shades of the Steamah.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........:
    It's win win with Cook.  If Bard falters and Cook goes to the rotation, great.  If Bard is the starter, love having a rightie sinkerballer coming out of the pen, especially at fenway.  Shades of the Steamah.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Has anyone read what Cook's attitude is about pitching from the pen?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

it's a sad day in beantown when cook or dice-k are looked upon as saviours.Has it really come to this?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........:
    it's a sad day in beantown when cook or dice-k are looked upon as saviours.Has it really come to this?
    Posted by iamme17

Why?  A. no one is looking on them as 'saviors' per se, merely bolsters to a scuffling rotation and pen.  B.  Cook, prior to injury, was turning into a total stud, why is it crazy, especially given his rehab success, to hazzard a guess that he might return to form.  Matsuzaka, well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but if his arm is as live as everyone is saying, and he can return to 07-08, late 09 form, how is that not a good addition?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Not sure Cook can be a pen guy....in ST the Sox kind of counted that out due to his previous injury issues......I think they view him as a Starter only.  His style of pitching fits in with our rotation, where right now all 5 guys basically pitch the same way. I know he doesnt wanto do it, but Bard back to the pen makes the most sense....and I agree he needs to be the closer(or at least tried as the closer)....he has the stuff for it.....and I think though there might be some immediate disappointment, he could grow to love it......and as for the $$$ aspect....Closers can make as much as starters. As i posted on another post.....the real interesting move is when Dice comes back....if Doubront is still pitching well....it would be hard to move him to the pen....especially a pen that would already have 2 lefties in Hill and Morales....but if he is pitching well and Buchholz is as well it will be a great problem to have.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Build the strongest possible rotation first. Then work on the pen. Don't put a better pitcher in the pen and a lesser one in the rotation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........ : U can't trade cook
    Posted by pinstripezac

They could call him up on May 1st, showcase him in a couple of starts, and then trade him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Not sure Cook can be a pen guy....in ST the Sox kind of counted that out due to his previous injury issues......I think they view him as a Starter only.  His style of pitching fits in with our rotation, where right now all 5 guys basically pitch the same way. I know he doesnt wanto do it, but Bard back to the pen makes the most sense....and I agree he needs to be the closer(or at least tried as the closer)....he has the stuff for it.....and I think though there might be some immediate disappointment, he could grow to love it......and as for the $$$ aspect....Closers can make as much as starters. As i posted on another post.....the real interesting move is when Dice comes back....if Doubront is still pitching well....it would be hard to move him to the pen....especially a pen that would already have 2 lefties in Hill and Morales....but if he is pitching well and Buchholz is as well it will be a great problem to have.
    Posted by tomnev
    Yep, they did say they didn't see Cook as a pen guy.  But it's use him or lose him and if they think it's best for the team I don't think they'd hesitate to send him to the pen for long relief and to keep him in reserve for someone going to the DL.  If that happened, I don't think they'd have him pitching every other day given his injury issues, but I could see him throwing a couple of innings every 3-4 days.  That's not where his best value is, but it's a likely place to store him until they need him.  It's a lot easier to stock him in the pen and switch him to starter at some point in the near future than it is to send Bard to the pen and try to bring him back to the rotation in a month.  And let's face it, Bard won't be starting games in September ... probably not in August either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Posted by tomnev

And that's why Paps got $12.5M per year while the AJ Burnett's of the world get $17M per.....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........ : They could call him up on May 1st, showcase him in a couple of starts, and then trade him.
    Posted by moonslav59

That "couple" of starts would be over a month and a half though....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........ : They could call him up on May 1st, showcase him in a couple of starts, and then trade him.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Perhaps. But it flies in the face of the experience of recent years where we have had to have guys like Byrd, Weiland and Miller start games.

I think the immediate answer is easy. Come May 1st the RS cut bait with Justin Thomas and his 2 plus WHIP.

While the RS may be should have gone with Bard in the BP now that they are in on making him a starter, I think they need to stay the course and that Cook needs to be our 2012 "Tim Wakefield" for the moment. There is nothing in Aaron Cook's career to suggest that he is going to be much of anything. This is a guy with a career WHIP over 1.400 in the NL West and a three year slide in performance. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Personally would expect Cook to replace Bard in rotation if Bard becomes closer, OR replace Buchholtz over Doubront.
    1) Doubront looks just fine, has potential to be a solid # 3 or even 2 starter once learns more efficient use of repertoire, i.e. fewer pitches per inning, go deeper in game.

2) Buch might need a rehab assignment to work on arm strength or release point, needs close supervision regardless. Next start or two may be crucial for him.

Cook had high WHIP & ERA numbers because he pitched at Coors field half the time. In Boston I think he'd deliver lots of gb outs and an ERA around 4.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Cook had high WHIP & ERA numbers because he pitched at Coors field half the time. In Boston I think he'd deliver lots of gb outs and an ERA around 4.
    Posted by jimedfred
    Aaron Cook's career WHIP at Coors is 1.428, on the road 1.512.

Aaron Cook is an "innings eater" that hasn't eaten innings since 2008. 08 - 211.1 IP, 09 158.0 IP, 10 127.2 IP, 11 97.0 IP.

The RS do not want to lose him May 1st but this is far from savior. They are hoping that catch some Freddy Garcia circa 2011 NYY magic here but at the cost of giving up on Buchholz or ending the conversion of Bard to a starting pitcher?

My guess is Cook is the spot starter, long reliever that his career stats suggest he is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........ : And that's why Paps got $12.5M per year while the AJ Burnett's of the world get $17M per.....
    Posted by JB-3

I may have been a little too general in that statement....Imy meaning was he could make great money as a closer also....as opposed to being the 8th inning guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In Response to Re: Some interesting changes coming with the May 1st deadline on Arron Cook........ : Aaron Cook's career WHIP at Coors is 1.428, on the road 1.512. Aaron Cook is an "innings eater" that hasn't eaten innings since 2008. 08 - 211.1 IP, 09 158.0 IP, 10 127.2 IP, 11 97.0 IP. The RS do not want to lose him May 1st but this is far from savior. They are hoping that catch some Freddy Garcia circa 2011 NYY magic here but at the cost of giving up on Buchholz or ending the conversion of Bard to a starting pitcher? My guess is Cook is the spot starter, long reliever that his career stats suggest he is.
    Posted by fivekatz
    Good points. Mea Culpa. Maybe a Fenway ERA of under 5 ?
    Cook would be merely a replacement starter. IF Clay pitches even halfway decently in his next two starts, leave Cook to do what he wishes....unless Bard is in bullpen to stay. Cook may opt out on May 1, or again on June 1. Even if we lost team control of him, it wouldn't be the worst thing. Padilla, Germano, Tazawa, Ohlendorf, etc.etc. could all spot start about as effectively.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Did some more research on Cook. Letting him walk wouldn't be a tremendous loss.
    Unless we could almost simultaneously activate him and trade him for a Grant Balfour or other relief stud, possibly in a package with Lars, Thomas, a warm sixpack, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sections
Shortcuts