Someone Explain to me the Love for Farrell

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone Explain to me the Love for Farrell

1. What has he done in Toronto?

2. Why did he not monitor one of his players wearing a racial slur on his eye black?

3. Why did his star players continuously not run out ground balls to the infield?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me the Love for Farrell

I don't get it either. I certainly wouldn't give up any players to get him back to Boston. I'd much rather see Beyeler, Hale or Alomar Jr. managing the Red Sox. Hell, Gene Lamont would be a better choice than Farrell.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think it's Farrell's demeanor and the whole management team sees him as a Mr.Nice Guy, won't make a scene, will be a management guy, he will act the way they want a manager to act, he will find a policeman type that will be the tough guy with the players in the background, he's learned from his mistakes in Toronto and they are willing to pay a price for that.

What that price is--perhaps Bryce Brentz, Rubby, Andrews, Lavarnway, Barnes, Bradley, Ranaudo, or some other top prospect the Jays will have under control for years to come. Perhaps a young guy like Henry Owens or Almanzar.

The Jays won't settle for Stewart or Carpenter as BenC and LL settled for; they are too smart for that old trick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

oVERRATED !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

He might do a fine job, I don't know. But I also find the fascination with him perplexing given that when he was here, so many on this board couldn't wait to get rid of him.

As for monitoring the racial slur, however, I can't hold him responsible for that. I don't think it falls under the manager's duties to examine everyone's eye black before games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have no idea whether Farrell will be a better manager in Boston than he has been in Toronto, but I do not like giving Toronto any (even one) of the young guys that MadMc44 lists as possible compensation for Farrell.

The Sox have to be about getting the most out of these young guys, and if they must be traded they have to get traded for quality players only.  Sending even one of these guys to Toronto for a manager with a losing record is not the way to build a better roster.

There are plenty of guys available to manage who project to be as good as Farrell has been so far in Toronto who will only need a contract to come manage in Boston even though not all of the guys MadMc44 mentioned will become major league stars.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't get it either. I certainly wouldn't give up any players to get him back to Boston. I'd much rather see Beyeler, Hale or Alomar Jr. managing the Red Sox. Hell, Gene Lamont would be a better choice than Farrell.

[/QUOTE]

Carnie - Not sure about Gene Lemont, unless you want someone sleeping in the dugout. I agree with the other three names. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Charlie---I should have clarified--I would hold out two months until the Jay's fire Farrell and hire Butterfield or Ausmus as their next manager. The Sox have plenty of other business to take care of in the meantime.

If the Sox hold out and he gets fired by AA he gets a years salary from the Jays and we get the guy we want without giving up any prospects. There are plenty of coaches out there for Farrell to choose from now or later.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Farrell is a non proven manager but a proven pitching coach. I would not trade any Red Sox except for Aceves or Dicek K for Farrell. I would leave the Farrell search and head to Lovullo, or Alomar, Jr.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think most of the love is emanating from the Sox FO.  They do know Farrell quite a bit better than we do.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Torre would have been a brilliant hire 10 years ago. He's 72 now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Torre would have been a brilliant hire 10 years ago. He's 72 now.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but he's spry 72!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I hope I look and move as well as Torre at 72.

Francona was unsuccessful in Philly, but I am not aware that they played poor baseball in Philly under his rule...ie, missing cutoff men, poor baserunning, not running out grounders, swinging at almost anything, as they did in Toronto under Farrell.  He is not worth the players required to get him, there are better candidates out there that come at no cost.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Farrell choice seems like taking a step back instead of forward.  But we have a GM that asked twitter for help in choosing a manager... seriously?  Made me a bit sad to read that.. sorta like saying Ben is a twit - or something - I don't know - just struck me as ridiculous and unprofessional. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Charlie---I should have clarified--I would hold out two months until the Jay's fire Farrell and hire Butterfield or Ausmus as their next manager. The Sox have plenty of other business to take care of in the meantime.

If the Sox hold out and he gets fired by AA he gets a years salary from the Jays and we get the guy we want without giving up any prospects. There are plenty of coaches out there for Farrell to choose from now or later.

[/QUOTE]
    Just like they waited last year and ended up with Valentine and a staff that he didn't get to choose?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2. Why did he not monitor one of his players wearing a racial slur on his eye black?

3. Why did his star players continuously not run out ground balls to the infield?

Did Tampa have a good manager? Idon't care what type of better year then Sox. They still have Tee times just behind Boston?? Thats a fact

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did Texas, Tampa, have good managers ? Again,Tee times are just behind Boston.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So you would wait til December in the HOPES they let Farrell go? Thats absurd...The manager needs to be part of the rebuilding process and give his input, not be hunting for coaches at Christmas. The manager and his staff needs to be in place by early November if not sooner. That was part of the problem last year Mad...If Farrell/Toronto and Boston dont come to some kind of agreement in the next week, I move on.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Did Tampa have a good manager? Idon't care what type of better year then Sox. They still have Tee times just behind Boston?? Thats a fact

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does Tampa have anything to do with hiring Farrell?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to donrd4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does Tampa have anything to do with hiring Farrell?

[/QUOTE]

Read my lips.... The point was that even a very good manager does not mean your team will reach the promised land.Now you tell us how you know what  Farrell or any other guy  will do manageing the Sox?

Sections
Shortcuts