Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

Any explanation? It was pure dumb.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

Because if he had pulled him and the next guy stunk, you'd have said pulling Peavy after just 105 pitches was a big mistake.

That's why.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

Peavy, despite my other thread, is a gutsy pitcher and a reasonable choice to send out.  My objection is to sending out Thornton to put out the fire.  Of course, I would have sent out Tazawa, and he would have been at least as bad--and was.  If a lefty was needed, Breslow was the right choice.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Peavy, despite my other thread, is a gutsy pitcher and a reasonable choice to send out.  My objection is to sending out Thornton to put out the fire.  Of course, I would have sent out Tazawa, and he would have been at least as bad--and was.  If a lefty was needed, Breslow was the right choice.  

I don't have a problem having Peavy on the bump to open the seventh. It's 7 to 2 ballgame he's had a few strong innings leading up to it...At 105 he probably could have thrown another 15 pitches. What I do question is given his pitch count, after the first batter reaches, you go take the ball, pat him on the back for a job well done and hand the ball to a rested and well armed pen. Remember it's 7 to 2 when Thornton took the ball with two runners abord plain and simple he spit the bit. You don't bring in Breslow with a 5 run lead or Tazpawa...After Thorton IMHO Farrel, Tazawa and the catcher all made what I think could have been a huge gaffe in shifting on Soriano "bad" situational managing and pitching. Thanks to Drew....Berry...More as another poster creatively coined...the Sox pen stopped the bleeding, Ells $ Victorino got us the lead, Koji turned out the lights...All's well that ends well....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thanks also to Joe "Too cool for school" West for the safe call on Vic's apparent 3rd strike swing against Joba. Then Soriano's ill timed and ill advised attempt to steal 3 B.

The "Too cool for school" call was Eck's. West should retire when Mariano goes at the end of the season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I don't have a problem having Peavy on the bump to open the seventh. It's 7 to 2 ballgame he's had a few strong innings leading up to it...At 105 he probably could have thrown another 15 pitches. What I do question is given his pitch count, after the first batter reaches, you go take the ball, pat him on the back for a job well done and hand the ball to a rested and well armed pen.

THIS.  i was about to type similar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Because if he had pulled him and the next guy stunk, you'd have said pulling Peavy after just 105 pitches was a big mistake.

That's why.

Sox4ever

I agree with moonslav59 100000000000%!!!   Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Waaah, e*fin' waah...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Thanks also to Joe "Too cool for school" West for the safe call on Vic's apparent 3rd strike swing against Joba. Then Soriano's ill timed and ill advised attempt to steal 3 B.

The "Too cool for school" call was Eck's. West should retire when Mariano goes at the end of the season.

I take back all the bad things I've said about Joe West.

I LOVE Joe West! Wink

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It was dumb because with a 5 run lead and 105 pitches you dont need one of your best starters using anymore gas in the tank than he needs to. The playoffs are right around the corner. Theres NO WAY I put him out there for the 7th with 105. NO WAY. Clean inning in the 7th goes to Taz. Any issues I have Breslow and Workman up already. 8th goes to Breslow, 9th to Koji. There was absolutely no need to bring Peavy out for the 7th. NONE!

Ok, starting the 7th with Jake was dumb move #1. Dumb move #2 wasnt so much putting Thornton in, IF it was a clean inning. It wasnt. Anyway, Thornton proceeds to throw all FB's to a LHH? Really? Not 1 breaking ball to a LHH? And hes supposed to be a smart veteran? IMHO, Thornton is OFF my PO roster. He has been completely useless since coming over here. What was with that shift they put on Sori? Another overthought move. Dumb move #3. Bringing a guy who has struggled the last month in a late inning situation with runners on base and the lead on the line. Did anyone really think Taz was going to shut the door? Honestly? I sure didnt. Anyone else want to still argue with me about Taz hitting a wall because of overuse? I like the kid, but it is what it is. Taz and Thornton let BOTH of their inherited runner score.

Ok, Breslow comes in a throws 2 clean innings, then Koji. THATS your 8th and 9th inning duo.

Its nice that they won. Believe me I am in a good mood this morning. But last night is a perfect example of how you win in spite of some terrible pitching moves. Thank God Girardi used his guy for the 3rd day in a row and we got to Mo. Listen, I like the job Farrell has done overall this year, but between what went down in SF and last night I think Farrell makes some very questionable pitching decisions and tends to overthink things and beat himself. Thats just how I see it.

Ok, let the apologists blast me like they did after the SF game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

He was ahead on his count against Iricho, and Iricho keep fouling off as well one of the pitch could be a third borderline pitch.  Instead Peavy walked him.  Then the next batter made a nice soft hit to the OF.  

I do not think it was Farrell's mistake.  Starting pitching have gone deep in almost every game for this month as well for the last one or two weeks of August.  You want these starters to get the feeling of going deep so they can use that preparation for the playoff.  

I think the biggest mistake was the defense shift on Soriano as well Pedroia was playing too close to second base when Overbay was hitting.   Well, Yankees were just playing smart with their offense in the 7th innings like they have been doing it for their last four games.

So therefore, Farrell will know now how to stop the Yankees hot late innings offense for the next three games if Boston have a good lead in any of these three games.

Like we all said, win is win!!  I ll take it.  Tampa Bay lost again.  That is freakin huge.  Tampa still have three more to go on the west coast trip.  I bet Tampa can not wait to get out of the trip!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

That's why.

Sox4ever

Too ez to get on Farrell for the move. Before the game, I said to a buddy that Mo could not go 3 days in a row. Girardi taking some heat is far more approprite. OBTW my fav umpire Joe West did a heckuca job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

So many "backseat drivers".  Peavy obviously demanded he go back in... and I would have let him too if I were Farrell.  Everything worked out ok,  thanks to Mo & Joba. 

Relax,  and enjoy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Like we all said, win is win!!  I ll take it.  Tampa Bay lost again.  That is freakin huge.  Tampa still have three more to go on the west coast trip.  I bet Tampa can not wait to get out of the trip!!

And I'll bet you're right.  They Rays have pretty well played themselves out of contention on this trip.  Of course the Sox haven't helped the Rays any either with their (Sox) record over the past dozen games.

With 20 games remaining the Sox need to only go .500 to win 95 - and we can almost promise now that 95 will get the job done. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

And I'll bet you're right.  They Rays have pretty well played themselves out of contention on this trip.  Of course the Sox haven't helped the Rays any either with their (Sox) record over the past dozen games.

With 20 games remaining the Sox need to only go .500 to win 95 - and we can almost promise now that 95 will get the job done. 

[/QUOTE]

Don't count the Rays out just yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I didn't like the decision to leave Peavy in either, but I can see the logic and it worked out in the end.  Getting close to the playoffs it's not a bad idea to give Peavy a chance to stretch it out a bit since they might need it in the postseason.  5 run lead should have been enough for the bullpen to close the door if Peavy struggled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

It was dumb because with a 5 run lead and 105 pitches you dont need one of your best starters using anymore gas in the tank than he needs to. The playoffs are right around the corner. Theres NO WAY I put him out there for the 7th with 105. NO WAY. Clean inning in the 7th goes to Taz. Any issues I have Breslow and Workman up already. 8th goes to Breslow, 9th to Koji. There was absolutely no need to bring Peavy out for the 7th. NONE!

Ok, starting the 7th with Jake was dumb move #1. Dumb move #2 wasnt so much putting Thornton in, IF it was a clean inning. It wasnt. Anyway, Thornton proceeds to throw all FB's to a LHH? Really? Not 1 breaking ball to a LHH? And hes supposed to be a smart veteran? IMHO, Thornton is OFF my PO roster. He has been completely useless since coming over here. What was with that shift they put on Sori? Another overthought move. Dumb move #3. Bringing a guy who has struggled the last month in a late inning situation with runners on base and the lead on the line. Did anyone really think Taz was going to shut the door? Honestly? I sure didnt. Anyone else want to still argue with me about Taz hitting a wall because of overuse? I like the kid, but it is what it is. Taz and Thornton let BOTH of their inherited runner score.

Ok, Breslow comes in a throws 2 clean innings, then Koji. THATS your 8th and 9th inning duo.

Its nice that they won. Believe me I am in a good mood this morning. But last night is a perfect example of how you win in spite of some terrible pitching moves. Thank God Girardi used his guy for the 3rd day in a row and we got to Mo. Listen, I like the job Farrell has done overall this year, but between what went down in SF and last night I think Farrell makes some very questionable pitching decisions and tends to overthink things and beat himself. Thats just how I see it.

No, you don't want to use more gas than necessary in your starters' tanks with playoffs around corner.  This is true.  But, in my internal-manager pecking order of playoff prep, keeping my pen as rested as possible waaaaaay out-trumps bringing my starter back out for the 7th at 105 pitches (some might argue that it is actually important to keep your starters as stretched out as possible at this time of year).  

In any case, it didn't work out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to S5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Don't count the Rays out just yet.

[/QUOTE]

Of course we are not counting the Rays out yet just like the Yankees too.  But what I am saying, that Tampa losing to the Angels is huge.   Can we just get a little excited when everything is going toward to the Red Sox's ways??

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This is 20-20 hindsight of course, but I would rather he left Peavy in and not used Thornton or Tazawa.  Yes, 105 pitches, but Peavy was raring to go, and he is a gutsy starter.  Thornton is a gutless wonder, and lately Tazawa, despite a good ERA, is not dependable.  Breslow and Uehara once again proved to be dependable.  In retrospect, Breslow was the best choice for the 7th inning. 

I do not mind criticism of Farrell because he ain't poifect, but last night I did not think sending Peavy out for the 7th was unreasonable.  But apparently he was out of gas.  As for Thornton and Tazawa, they simply failed to do their jobs, period. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from upperco1. Show upperco1's posts

100% Correct ............ Lost one in KC and to Baltimore with the same overthinking also.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The manager pushes the buttons. Whether they were the right buttons depends on the players doing their jobs. Any move can either work or backfire. That's how it is. What we need to find out about Peavy is whether 100 pitches is his limit. That he wants to stay in the game is commendable, but it should not influence the manager's decision. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

All of this is correct IMO as well. Its a case of winning a game DESPITE the manager, not because of him. Even if Peavy comes out to start the inning, he should have been removed after the first walk. Breslow has been much more reliable than Tazawa and Taz should not be counted on as the 8th inning guy any more at all. Farrell is not learning, unfortunately. I hope it does not cost us a playoff game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

This is 20-20 hindsight of course, but I would rather he left Peavy in and not used Thornton or Tazawa.  Yes, 105 pitches, but Peavy was raring to go, and he is a gutsy starter.  Thornton is a gutless wonder, and lately Tazawa, despite a good ERA, is not dependable.  Breslow and Uehara once again proved to be dependable.  In retrospect, Breslow was the best choice for the 7th inning. 

I do not mind criticism of Farrell because he ain't poifect, but last night I did not think sending Peavy out for the 7th was unreasonable.  But apparently he was out of gas.  As for Thornton and Tazawa, they simply failed to do their jobs, period. 

Peavy is a gamer. He wants to be out there all the time, which is great. BUT-with guys like that you have to remove the decision making from him. He was obviously toast in the seventh. Sending him out was unwise and leaving him out long enough to accumulate two baserunners was plain dumb.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I was fine with leaving Peavy in for 2 more batters.  It was the bottom of the order.

I agree that Breslow should have come in instead of Thornton.