Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

In response to Beantowne's comment:

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Hetch 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view and all of the above .

Hetch,

not sure if your diatribe above was in response to my post? I would say that irregardless of whether it was or was not. Not sure it adds much to the discussion or is it the discussion itself that you find objectionable? 

Hi Bean,

No insult intended. I'm just reacting to the continual "back seat managing" that goes on here at BDC while our team is now 29 games over .500 yet so many continue to object, question, etc Farrel's moves when it is obvious that after so many years in MLB he knows so much more about the game than any one of us. 

Hetch

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me why Jake Peavy started this inning at 105 pitches and after he sat for 15 minutes

In response to my own diatribe and comments above !!

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, ba, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Hetch 

Just my extremely ignorant, conservatively liberal, all knowing, pervasive, practically meaningless and but extremely intellectual points of view and all of the above .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Why is Thornton even on this team, we have about a zillion Lefty's.  Britton has looked good out of the pen, Breslow has been good, and Morales is back.  Seems a little redundant having 4 lefties in the pen.  Especially when you consider that if we go with 4 starter in the Playoffs you're likely adding another lefty.

I think Thorntons days are numbered here. 

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!

With a 7-2 lead and two on, it was a good time to see what Thorton has

Now that we know, I hope it's the last we see of him.

[/QUOTE]

I would have rather it be him or tazawa in a clean inning, not try and put Peavy back out there. No need to with a 5 run lead. That way nobody has to deal with runners on base starting out. It was not a great move.

[/QUOTE]

Our pen isn't as deep as many feel it is. To me, only Uehara, Tazawa, and Breslow are very trustworthy. These three can't pitch every game all year long.

The Yankee game was a big game. 

I rarely comment on one game/in game decisions, but this one is just too clear to ignore. Peavy starting the inning was the right thing to do. Only hindsight knows better.

Had Peavy had a 1-2-3 inning, nobody here even thinks twice about the decision. If Thornton does his job- same thing. 

Farrell has made a few mistakes this year, but this was not one of them- not even close. Judging him on this one call based on hindsight is just too easy for some posters here. Everytime a player does poorly, does not mean a manager should have seen it coming.

[/QUOTE]

My point was sending Peavy out there for the 7th inning. There was NO NEED TO with a 5 run lead. Save those bullets for the playoffs. I said it when it happened. Actually I was very surprised when I saw him coming out. No hindsight here. I didnt think he was going to go 1-2-3 after that last AB he had to end the 6th. Let Thorny have a clean inning to start. Dont throw guys like him and Taz into the fire when its not necessary.

If you think Tazawa is trustworthy, then I respectfully would ask you what have you been watching the last month???

We have RDLR, Thorny, Britton, Morales, Workman. You didnt have to, nor should you have had to use Breslow or Uehara.

Once again, my whole point is to pat Peavy on the back and give a reliever a clean inning, not set them up to fail. Thats what Farrell did with thorny and Taz. Both allowed 2 inherited runners to score. Both are not great coming in with runners on. Give them a clean inniung to start.

Bad moves.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[/QUOTE]

My point was sending Peavy out there for the 7th inning. There was NO NEED TO with a 5 run lead. Save those bullets for the playoffs. I said it when it happened. Actually I was very surprised when I saw him coming out. No hindsight here. I didnt think he was going to go 1-2-3 after that last AB he had to end the 6th. Let Thorny have a clean inning to start. Dont throw guys like him and Taz into the fire when its not necessary.

If you think Tazawa is trustworthy, then I respectfully would ask you what have you been watching the last month???

We have RDLR, Thorny, Britton, Morales, Workman. You didnt have to, nor should you have had to use Breslow or Uehara.

Once again, my whole point is to pat Peavy on the back and give a reliever a clean inning, not set them up to fail. Thats what Farrell did with thorny and Taz. Both allowed 2 inherited runners to score. Both are not great coming in with runners on. Give them a clean inniung to start.

Bad moves.

[/QUOTE]

South, 

Sorry to disagree but a relievers job is to come in to any circumstance and deal with it, many times with men on base in a pressure situation. Peavy had just completed a very strong 6th inning and if I'm the manager I want to get my starter back out to get as many outs as possible. It didn't work out, both relievers failed miserably, etc. Most likely the way they both pitched, even if they had come out for a clean inning the results might have been the same.

Hetch 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Bad moves.

[/QUOTE]

South, 

Sorry to disagree but a relievers job is to come in to any circumstance and deal with it, many times with men on base in a pressure situation. Peavy had just completed a very strong 6th inning and if I'm the manager I want to get my starter back out to get as many outs as possible. It didn't work out, both relievers failed miserably, etc. Most likely the way they both pitched, even if they had come out for a clean inning the results might have been the same.

Hetch 

[/QUOTE]

While we agree on what the relievers job is, the fact remains that some do well with runners on and some do not. Thorny and especially Taz this year, are not great stranding inherited runners. So you give guys like that a clean inning to start if you can.

Peavy had a 10-12 pitch AB the last batter of the 6th. If he got him out quickly, I would have maybe thought differently. He was struggling to close the door. Thats the first sign of being tired. The offspeed stuff wasnt looking as sharp. he was fading. We saw the result the next inning. I want my starter to get as many outs he can as well hetch, but you cant force it.

Maybe the results would have been the same if they had a clean inning to start with. I would have felt it was the right move to start the inning that way regardless off the outcome.

Listen, I think Farrell has done a great overall job this year. No question. There are only 2 pitching moves that I have had a big problem with this year. TWO. This one and the dumb move in SF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Why is Thornton even on this team, we have about a zillion Lefty's.  Britton has looked good out of the pen, Breslow has been good, and Morales is back.  Seems a little redundant having 4 lefties in the pen.  Especially when you consider that if we go with 4 starter in the Playoffs you're likely adding another lefty.

I think Thorntons days are numbered here. 

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!

With a 7-2 lead and two on, it was a good time to see what Thorton has

Now that we know, I hope it's the last we see of him.

[/QUOTE]

I would have rather it be him or tazawa in a clean inning, not try and put Peavy back out there. No need to with a 5 run lead. That way nobody has to deal with runners on base starting out. It was not a great move.

[/QUOTE]

Our pen isn't as deep as many feel it is. To me, only Uehara, Tazawa, and Breslow are very trustworthy. These three can't pitch every game all year long.

The Yankee game was a big game. 

I rarely comment on one game/in game decisions, but this one is just too clear to ignore. Peavy starting the inning was the right thing to do. Only hindsight knows better.

Had Peavy had a 1-2-3 inning, nobody here even thinks twice about the decision. If Thornton does his job- same thing. 

Farrell has made a few mistakes this year, but this was not one of them- not even close. Judging him on this one call based on hindsight is just too easy for some posters here. Everytime a player does poorly, does not mean a manager should have seen it coming.

[/QUOTE]

Farrell didn't expect to have to "throw Thornton to the fire". He was hoping to "save the pen" by maybe allowing Thornton to start the eigth "clean" and thereby save Tazawa and Breslow, and maybe Uehara from even having to pitch. Of course, it didn't work out, and we had to use all three. (That's the part I call hindsight. I didn't mean to imply that you did not feel, at the time it happened, that bPeavy should have come out).

I don't judge players by one month sample sizes. That's not to say that I don't realize trends, but I see Tazawa (and Uehara) as a pitcher in great need of more rest. That is precisely why I think it was the right move to leave Peavy out there... to give the pen some rest. It just didn't end up working. Peavy at 105 pitches and looking sharp gave no indication of being about to struggle. Peavy has not been overworked this season. 

In hindsight, the plan back-fired, but that does not mean it was a poor plan.

You are assuming those guys would have done better than Peavy. In hindsight, it is hard to say they would have done worse, but at the time, I think it was 100% clear the chances of Peavy having a nice 7th inning (after just 105 pitches) was better than any of those guys coming in "clean" and having as good or better inning.

You and others have the right to disagree with this point. I'm not saying I know more than anyone else, althoug I apparently come off sounding like that to many people, but to me, a 5 run lead against a surging team like the Yanks was not the time to bring in  a scrub relief pitcher "clean"- no disrespect meant towards some guys that have done a fine job so far this year. The Yanks were scarying the you knopw what out of me. They needed that game to give them a big boost that might have been the start of something very ugly (from the Sox point of view). Farrell stuck with who he thought was our best pitcher for that moment. I agreed with him at the time, and still do. I'm not saying pulling him did not have merit, but just because Peavy struggled, does not prove the choice was wrong at the time.

In baseball, nothing like these choices can really be proven. Thornotn might have come in clean and did worse than Peavy, and then caused others to come in earlier than they ended up coming in, and doing worse or throwing more pitches that may have effected them down the road from then... like last night.

Bad moves.

I respectfully disagree. The plan was to give Thorny a clean 8th inning, and save Taza and Uehara for another day.

[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We will have to agree to disagree on this one Moon. I dont think Peavy had any business coming out for the 7th inning the way he struggled to put away the last batter of the 6th (10-12 pitch AB). His pitches werent as sharp, and to me, he looked like he was starting to fade.