Someone Explain to me why you put a shift on Soriano like that?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Someone Explain to me why you put a shift on Soriano like that?

Someone explain that to me. Pitch over outer half. You don't shift righties like that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Someone Explain to me why you put a shift on Soriano like that?

Because they know more than you do.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

He is right about the pitch location.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Because they know more than you do.

Sox4ever

+1

I was surprised after the fact that Pedey seemed to be playing Overbay up the middle rather than to pull, but I am sure if I had access to the book that Farrell has and knew how they were pitching to him, Pedeys positioning made perfect sense.....why would someone question it....how often do they think Managers/Coaches make mistakes on positioing the fielders?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Someone explain that to me. Pitch over outer half. You don't shift righties like that.

I agree it was odd but there's know doubt they were going off numbers on that play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

You could see a modified shift on him going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

the shift on soriano was not smart no matter which way you look at it. especially with a guy on the mound in tazawa who pitches away from hitters more often then not. had they been playing straight up the ball soriano hit would have been right to pedroia for an easy double play. this is not the first time farrell has put a shift on and it has backfired. the reality is that shifts more often than not are not beneficial. they rarely work and are not used alot for a reason. in order to be effective you need to have 2 things going for u, 1) batter has to be a heavy pull hitter (which soriano is not) and 2) you need a pitcher with good control on the mound (which tazawa is average at best at and has a high tendency to pitch batters on the outside part of the plate) tazawa pitches soriano on the outside part of the plate which is exactly what he was looking for in that situation and hits what would normally be an easy double play ball through the right side as pedroia was playing behind the bag on 2nd. farrell makes far too many mistakes on a consistant basis but people tend to overlook them because we are winning games. But i guarantee you that those same mistakes would not go unnoticed in the playoffs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I agree it was odd but there's know doubt they were going off numbers on that play.

Perhaps the numbers don't take into account situational hitting. Given the situation they should have played corners in with the middle infielder @ double play depth. Which likely would have changed Soriano's approach as it were it was a routine double play ball that would've ended the inning. if the Sox were in a more traditional defenses alignment, Soriano's probably more likely to have rolled over on it trying to drive the ball. In my mind this was a case of good hitting, besting poor situational pitching and poor situational management. 

In the end Farrel has to own the decision to shift...Tazawa and Ross or Lavarnway whoever was behind the plate for calling the pitch selection and location...

All's well that ends well but this is one that almost got away, if we had lost it would have been a tough pill to swallow and Farrel would have some splainin to do...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Metrics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I have no great problem with the shift, but I do have a big problem with the pitch location.  If you're going to put a shift on a pull hitter that's fine, but you then DON'T pitch him on the outer edge of the plate!

Obviously.  DUH. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I have no great problem with the shift, but I do have a big problem with the pitch location.  If you're going to put a shift on a pull hitter that's fine, but you then DON'T pitch him on the outer edge of the plate!

Obviously.  DUH. 

solid thought S5

but in THIS case not pitching soriano on outer edge of the plate

MIGHT be a bigger DUH

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Obviously.  DUH. 

solid thought S5

but in THIS case not pitching soriano on outer edge of the plate

MIGHT be a bigger DUH

OK.  But if you're going to pitch him away, then DON'T put the shift on!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I'm glad I don't have your life.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

OK.  But if you're going to pitch him away, then DON'T put the shift on!

exactly

the point of the thread

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

You do know that the Red Sox won last night and have a 6.5-game lead over the Rays with only 20 games to go right?   Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There is not an issue with the shift. The issues lies with the pitcher executing the pitch and the right location. Tazawa has been awful locating pitches, so using a shift and relying on Taz to make a good pitch was iffy at best.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

They probably know that 80% of hits are to left and the rest to center. As for the pitch I'd say it was a bad pitch that got away from the pitcher. I'm sure with the shift not one pitch was meant to go outside.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The only issue with any shift is that the pitcher can make a bad pitch. As for the comment that shifts do not work. Then way do so many teams use them on players like Ortiz, Dunn, just for two. It is because they know most of their hits are to a particular side of the field and they play the averages. Ortiz is having a great year but if they had not played the shift against him I bet it would be a phenominal season. I have seen dozens of his shots caught by the short RF they employ.

However he has made adjustments as the last time I saw his hit chart he actually had 23% to LF/LCF this year. BTW when you make a hitter adjust it is to your advantage since he is no longer hitting to his strength.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

It's a good shift with no one on base.

Last night was simply a dumb move by a manager who also allowed Peavy to come out for the 7th.

John has had some brain farts lately but is in line for manager of the year.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts