Someone Please Explain Why Farrell Didn't Pinch Hit for Drew in the Ninth?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Someone Please Explain Why Farrell Didn't Pinch Hit for Drew in the Ninth?

Drew's a bum. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: Someone Please Explain Why Farrell Didn't Pinch Hit for Drew in the Ninth?

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Drew's a bum. 

You go, Moon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I'll explain that after you explain Thornton in the 7th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I'll explain that after you explain Thornton in the 7th.

No mistake was made. No explanation is needed. Had Thronton pitched well, like he usually does, you'd have never viewed it as a mistake.

Tazawa is the 8th inning man- not the 7th.  Tazawa & Uehara have been over-worked. Continuing to ask them to go more than one inning would come back to haunt us.

Breslow was needed later in the game as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Very funny. I love sarcastic Moon. Brings him down to the little people like me who can't do his math. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Very funny. I love sarcastic Moon. Brings him down to the little people like me who can't do his math. :)

Getting sarcastic beats getting angry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

9/7...I don't usually ever question Farrell, but I really don't undrstand why Uehara was used tonight.  My point is thatl he really needs to be rested for the post-season. 

Although every game is important, we need arms that are not tired for the post-season.  I feel the same about Breslow.  We're already seeing a diminish of effectiveness in Tazawa.

I really hope that Buchholz does well when he returns so that another arm can be added to the pen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think the reason he used Ue is becacause he had 2,3, and 4 coming up in the ninth. He had a 4 run lead but, as we saw Thurs., an 8-3 lead was not sufficient against the Yankees.

He wanted to be guaranteed the split in the series---he can now rest him Sat, Sun and a day off Monday. My guess he's off limits Sat and may pitch Sun.

Britton has the stomach to close or Workman or Dempster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc2. Show croc2's posts

Can we add a like button?

The last two games have to kill what ever spirit existed on the Yankees.  Two sure wins dashed. The look on Suzuki's face on Napoli's HR was priceless. Poor Hughes looked like Calvin Schiraldi in game 7.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I think the reason he used Ue is becacause he had 2,3, and 4 coming up in the ninth. He had a 4 run lead but, as we saw Thurs., an 8-3 lead was not sufficient against the Yankees.

He wanted to be guaranteed the split in the series---he can now rest him Sat, Sun and a day off Monday. My guess he's off limits Sat and may pitch Sun.

I agree..the lesson learned by both managers is that no lead is safe as evidence by in consecutive games both teams failed to hold the other team down entering the seveth with 5 runs leads. So up 4 in a game that garantees us a series split with two gamex left in the series against a team that is chasing us. Using Uehara to close it out in a non save situation was a no brainer. Regardless of where the yanks were in their lineup. Uehara did his job and today with us taking the first two in the series the dynamics of the two remaining games of the series have an entirely different outlook for both teams, both are must win for the yanks....

So today with Lackey on the bump the hope is that he can give us some length and hopefully our sticks show up and the need to use Uehara is moot. Todays game is a must win for the Yankees, who are now looking up at the Rays, O's and the Indians for the second WC spot. Girardi will manage it accordingly and will have a quick hook and if it's close late might even go to Riviera and Robertson as early as the seventh. I wouldn't be surprised if he empties his entire bench in the quest to win. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Drew's a bum. 

Tweet of the day from PA:

"Only two RBIs for Drew tonight. Stupid Farrell."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I have no problem with Koji pitching last night.  Although a 4 run lead going into the 9th is usually a safe lead,  stranger things have happened.  I think it was very important not to blow that game last night, not from a standings point of view, but more from a momentum/psyche point of view.

IMO, the Sox would have bounced back from a loss well enough, as they have done all season, but we certainly don't need to be giving the Yankees any additional sparks to fuel their late season hopes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think we are being dangerous with Uehara's workload, which is why I was not against leaving Peavy in the other night.

He is 38 and half and is about an inning or two shy of his career high IP mark. I worry he will burn out by or during the playoffs.

I understand the value of these games right now, but bringing a closer in with a 4 run lead is not traditional, especially in light of Uehara's recent worload. 20 pitches the previous night, a couple of 4 out saves recently, and still 3 weeks to go of the regular season before the playoffs begin.

I'm not bashing Farrell here at all. The guy is probably our true MVP (person not player) of the 2013 Red Sox.

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Just a thought, but Uehara was warming up once the Yankees put the second man on in the 8th.  So, since he warmed up, the thought is why not bring him in.  As someone mentioned a week or so ago, Farrell has been very good about not warming up a pitcher and then not using him.  You don't want to sit him down, then have to have him get up again if needed. 

If a manager doesn't have confidence in his ball players, even when they're going badly, they're not going to have confidence in themselves. And when a ballplayer's confidence is gone, you haven't got a ballplayer - Birdie Tebbetts

Sections
Shortcuts