Something Different: You're All-Time Playing Out of Position Team for the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Something Different: You're All-Time Playing Out of Position Team for the Red Sox

Just thought I'd switch things up a bit from all offseason stuff. What is your all-time team of Red Sox players playing out of position?

Here's one, although except for Ted Williams pitching, I kept it 1970s players and on.

LF: Kevin Youkilius

CF: Jeff Frye

RF: Adrian Gonzalez 

3B: Carl Yastrzemski

SS: Jerry Remy 

2B: Juan Beniquez

1B: Carlton Fisk

C: Steve Lyons

DH: Doug Griffin 
    P: Ted Williams

I put Griffin at DH because he DH'd twice and he's a guy you normally wouldn't ever DH. If he plays it's because of his glove.

Remy played on game at SS, which is why I put him there. If I could come up with a more unusual SS, I'd put Remy in RF over A-Gon because Remy played a game out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Something Different: You're All-Time Playing Out of Position Team for the Red Sox

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just thought I'd switch things up a bit from all offseason stuff. What is your all-time team of Red Sox players playing out of position?

Here's one, although except for Ted Williams pitching, I kept it 1970s players and on.

I put Griffin at DH because he DH'd twice and he's a guy you normally wouldn't ever DH. If he plays it's because of his glove.

Remy played on game at SS, which is why I put him there. If I could come up with a more unusual SS, I'd put Remy in RF over A-Gon because Remy played a game out there.

[/QUOTE]LOL..man, that was rough, i bet Youk came away from that one with a whole new respect for OF'ers :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Something Different: You're All-Time Playing Out of Position Team for the Red Sox

Nomah played 2 innings at 2B and racked up a 13.50 RF/9

Boggs spent 4 innings in LF but was 0 for 1 at the dish.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

did he ever take the bump for the Sox??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The Yaz at third is not surprising as he came up thru the minors as a SS.

One other is Reggie Smith who was a 2nd baseman but was moved to CF because of his throwing ability  or inability??? Depends on your POV.

If I remember correctly he was moved  to CF because his throwing at second put the fans in harms way on his throws to first!!!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

oh and let's not forget that Gator spent a total of 1 inning as Catcher, committing 1 error and earned himself a whopping -1200 rTot/year

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] did he ever take the bump for the Sox??

[/QUOTE]

iirc boggs threw an inning or 2 with the devil rays.  but i dont think he ever toed the rubber in a RS uni.

i dont recall nomar ever pitching in a game but someone else may be able to confirm?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

No Gary Allenson at 3B?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It would've been easier just to put Steve Lyons at all positions. He played everywhere, and I don't even remember what was his natural position.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yaz at third is not surprising as he came up thru the minors as a SS.

One other is Reggie Smith who was a 2nd baseman but was moved to CF because of his throwing ability  or inability??? Depends on your POV.

If I remember correctly he was moved  to CF because his throwing at second put the fans in harms way on his throws to first!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

The list was based on how few games they played at an odd position. Even though Yaz was a SS coming up, he was LF-1B in the majors so it was odd to see him at 1B. Smith would have been a good choice for 2B because regardless of how he came up, he played just six games in the major at 1B.

The point of the list to was make a team based on players playing a position that they did play in the majors -- at least one game -- but to fans it would look weird to see them their.

Remy in RF for example or Remy at SS. Yeah he was a middle IF but he only played one game at SS. Beniquez as I recall came up as a SS but scked and that's why he was moved to OF. He played a few games at 2B in the majors, it's weird to see him at that position.

Lyons caught I think just one game.

Look how weird it was to see Youk in LF or A-Gon in RF. Fisk would be a 3B candidate for this list if it was a White Sox list.

NOTIN,

Allenson at 3B is a good nice pick.

Reid Nichols at 3B or 2B would be a good "bench" selection.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And Mike Greenwell could "back up" Lyons at catcher.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Edgar Renteria at shortstop

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] did he ever take the bump for the Sox??

[/QUOTE]

iirc boggs threw an inning or 2 with the devil rays.  but i dont think he ever toed the rubber in a RS uni.

i dont recall nomar ever pitching in a game but someone else may be able to confirm?

[/QUOTE] i think he pitched about 2 innings with the Yanks too..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Clay Buchholz at pinch runner

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Future out of position, Big Papi at short stop, or center field. funny thing with his present magic he would probably make it work

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like that one. Boston's version of Herb Washington. Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Didn't Randy Kutcher come in as a catcher one time?

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, he got a terrible read on a ball and failed to score from second on a double AND got injured on the play.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Even worse than that: Daniel Nava at pinch runner.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to royf19's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And to add ...

Using softy's criteria, I guess this would make Ted Williams the greatest pitcher in Sox history and Yastrzemski the greatest third baseman.

Innocent

Sections
Shortcuts