"SON, I see where the next Carlton Fisk is 10 for his last 22" !!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Lavarnway has a ceiling of being a decent back up catcher, there isn't anything wrong with that.

he does not hit nearly well enough to play first, he does hit well enough to offset his average D as a back up catcher.

he will be around the league for another 5 to 7 years and see more minor league time.

That's it.

Thank you,

Lavarnway may be a good back up catcher who plays just good enough to provide some pop in a limited role.  People get all up in arms because they want every young prospect to be a super star.  Anyone who contributes to the Boston Red Sox in any capacity is a good prospect in the larger scheme of things.  Most guys will never make it.  Lavarnway may be a decent player but there is nothing wrong with him if he something less than that.

If he ends up being a super star I will glaldy eat my Crow.....but he's not going to be an all-star caliber player.  I don't think he will even ever be a starter (at least not in Boston.) 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re:

He is a big-time liability behind the plate, particularly in the middle of a pennant race. It's not just the lousy arm and the stolen bases, he doesn't call good pitches and doesn't set up or frame pitches well. Yesterday Peavy should have had an inning-ending strike out of Jeter before the Yankees scored their 1st two runs. He also should have handled Gardner's bunt and thrown him out in that inning. Maybe his bat will keep him on the team but if he expects to stay as a catcher he needs alot more work.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re:

In response to trouts' comment:

He is a big-time liability behind the plate, particularly in the middle of a pennant race. It's not just the lousy arm and the stolen bases, he doesn't call good pitches and doesn't set up or frame pitches well. Yesterday Peavy should have had an inning-ending strike out of Jeter before the Yankees scored their 1st two runs. He also should have handled Gardner's bunt and thrown him out in that inning. Maybe his bat will keep him on the team but if he expects to stay as a catcher he needs alot more work.

I think that's an exaggeration, but is a fact that Ross caught the 10th inning for one reason, to help preserve the win.  As the replay showed, Lavarnway did catch the lead guy in one of those double steals, but the ump missed the call.  Nevertheless, Lavarnway does not yet seem to be ready.  Catcher is a tough position.  That AA guy--Vasquez?--just moved up to AAA and caught Buchholz last night.  As well as Lavarnway is hitting, I think the Sox are going to have to fine another position.  FWIW, if you can hit, you can play, and he might be the future DH. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re:

In July/early-August I would have said there's a greater than 75% chance of Lava getting traded in the offseason.  I honestly don't see room for him now that his power numbers have dropped off a cliff.  Next year we have Ross back and the Sox will sign a starting catcher (probably Salty).  With Vazquez moving up to AAA and looking like he has at least some shot of being more than back up catcher and Butler's hitting picking up this year to the point where he's better than Lava defensively AND with the bat, there won't be room for Lava in AAA.  His hitting just hasn't been good enough to cover his sub-par receiving.  

Recently, though, Lava's looked a lot more comfortable (SSS alert).  Maybe it's down to a 50% chance Lava gets moved in the offseason.  Then again, he's probably up over Butler to showcase him, so maybe chances of him being traded just went up ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re:

I like Lava, but the truth is his defense is just good enough to where he could play at the MLB level if he hits, and hits well.  I haven't seen enough of him to say that he can, although he does look good lately.  Still, with what I've seen behind the plate, I'm praying for Salty to get back quick. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re:

This is a ludicrous topic...Lavarnway could not carry Fisk's jock...in this lifetime or any other.

The OP jumped on this kid's bandwagon a while back and he doesn't realize that the wheels on the bandwagon are square not round.

10 for 22 hardly allows him to be compared with Pudge Fisk who is a hall of fame player!!

To further elaborate...Lavarnway in his 3 year major league career and 258 ABs is batting .209 with 10 HRs. While Fisk, on the other hand, in his first 3 years had 1013 ABs, batted around .300 with 50 HRs.

Wow these guys are further apart than I thought they'd be. Hey Bill tell Dad to give this up already!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re:

Lavarnway is to Fisk as Papi's Heel is to Papi Being Done

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Lavarnway is to Fisk as Papi's Heel is to Papi Being Done

Too funny!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

Re:

What the heck are u doing bill. Dont jinx the guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Re:

Yes Bill I "see it now" Lavarnway is a serviceable backup catcher. Comparing him to Ross is a better comparison than to Fisk.

The Sox have scored a million runs off Tiger and Yanks AAA pitching and of all the players to concentrate on you pick Ryan Lavarnway- I didn't even notice he has played.

WHo's your next I told you so... Q Berry?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re:

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Give the kid a 1b mit this offseason

His loss of power is a little scary. It just disappeared.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Re:

Not only did power disappear but glove went south too, 6 SB against him Thursdat night!

He went from bright prospect to complete loser in 60 secs flat

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Thanks DAD .....   You must be talking about Ryan Lavarnway ??   Looking more at home all the time !!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_bomb

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re:

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

This is a ludicrous topic...Lavarnway could not carry Fisk's jock...in this lifetime or any other.

The OP jumped on this kid's bandwagon a while back and he doesn't realize that the wheels on the bandwagon are square not round.

10 for 22 hardly allows him to be compared with Pudge Fisk who is a hall of fame player!!

To further elaborate...Lavarnway in his 3 year major league career and 258 ABs is batting .209 with 10 HRs. While Fisk, on the other hand, in his first 3 years had 1013 ABs, batted around .300 with 50 HRs.

Wow these guys are further apart than I thought they'd be. Hey Bill tell Dad to give this up already!

The next Carlton Fisk?  No way.  But I'd settle for the next Mike Napoli.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Re:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to 37stories' comment:

Lavarnway has a ceiling of being a decent back up catcher, there isn't anything wrong with that.

he does not hit nearly well enough to play first, he does hit well enough to offset his average D as a back up catcher.

he will be around the league for another 5 to 7 years and see more minor league time.

That's it.

Thank you,

Lavarnway may be a good back up catcher who plays just good enough to provide some pop in a limited role.  People get all up in arms because they want every young prospect to be a super star.  Anyone who contributes to the Boston Red Sox in any capacity is a good prospect in the larger scheme of things.  Most guys will never make it.  Lavarnway may be a decent player but there is nothing wrong with him if he something less than that.

If he ends up being a super star I will glaldy eat my Crow.....but he's not going to be an all-star caliber player.  I don't think he will even ever be a starter (at least not in Boston.) 

Billiot is not the sharpest tack in the box, to say the least.  

One would have to be bereft all wits to insult Carlton Ernest Fisk by comparing Lava to him. I hope Lava succeeds!  I hope I'm proved wrong when I write that the probability of Lava making an all-star team is dwarfed by the probability of Lava making coffee in 2016 for his more senior investment banking colleagues.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Son, Lava's going back on thye bench when Salty comes back from injury.

This Red Sox groove seems to be making you giddy and bringing out your frivilous side.  Nothing wrong with that.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re:

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

The next Carlton Fisk?  No way.  But I'd settle for the next Mike Napoli.

Or Bob Tillman

Sections
Shortcuts