Sonny Gray

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Re: Sonny Gray

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Interesting young player to ponder in this baseball postseason, outside the Red Sox bubble. 

He gets the Game 5 start, in a late change by A's manager Bob Melvin. 

I think the Red Sox conventional thought is that the Red Sox have a big advantage because they finished the hapless Rays, early, and the Tigs and A's will come in with a tired pitching staff that has a "messed up schedule". 

If you look at another way, these two teams are in a real battle in the competition arena. It's not a pushover team like the Rays. 

The winner of this series will come to Boston with a ton of confidence. Either team has key starters that were once with the Red Sox. I wanted to see the Red Sox play both of them, but I'll have to settle for one. It will be interesting.

Softy are you talking about the Tigers and A's have key starting pitchers??who else besides Colon and Sanchez?

If you are talking about position players you are absolutely right: in either case this could be Red Sox East VS Red Sox Central or Red Sox West. No matter who ultimately wins the Red Sox win either current or past---that's a good feeling ...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Detroit's' lineup looks much weaker with a tamed Miggy. Both teams are good, just like Tampa was good.  You have to play a 162 game season to make it to the playoffs and often the wildcard teams do well because they are the HOT team.  Tampa was a good team playing good baseball.  No I don't think that in any way equates to victory in the ALCS.

Softy has effectively stated the obvious: The Sox will be challenged in the ALCS.

Gee really you think?  

He what will happen if I drop this apple from atop this ladder? I think maybe you should start a thread on gravity, then again you probably don't believe in science. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Tampa was not a good baseball team. A's and Tigers are very good baseball teams. Good baseball teams don't feature offenses like the Rays. AAA teams do.

Yes of course.  Only AAA teams make the PLAY OFFS.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I dont agree with this move. I'd go with Colon. He has a 2.58 era in Oakland. 101 innings with only 15 BB's and 5 HRS there. He better hope he's right.

Veteran batters have a way of getting even with kids, the 2nd time around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Justin Verlander is usually the main reason you want to stay away from Detroit.

Verlander is having an off year, however players with off years sometimes preform well in playoffs. But, Verlander is pitching tonight , so the Red Sox would not see him more than twice....which, any way you slice it, has to be a good thing. Scherzer worked in relief in game 4, very unlikely to start Game 1 on 3 days rest. This means we likely don't see Scherzer more than twice also. Considering the Detroit bullpen and their 3-5 starters and this puts alot of pressure on Fister.

Oakland presents a different problem as we haven't seen some of their young pitchers much, but their scouts must have lots of data on our guys who are proven veterans with a long history. Sonny Gray , I think is a pitcher the Sox batters know very little about....this could be an advantage for Oakland the first time through the lineup, but I give the Red Sox batters, batting coaches and scouts the benefit of the doubt on the second time he goes through our potent lineup.

I think Oakland would be the tougher opponent because Detroit has played themselves into a position where they can't lineup the rotation the best possible way for them which would be to throw Verlander and Scherzer at us in 5 or 6 games of a 7-game series...with the series vs, Oakland going to game 5, there is no way that can happen.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Geez. last 28 days Colon has a 1.04 era, might be a case for Over Managing. Melvin taking a chance.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Justin Verlander is usually the main reason you want to stay away from Detroit.

Verlander is having an off year, however players with off years sometimes preform well in playoffs. But, Verlander is pitching tonight , so the Red Sox would not see him more than twice....which, any way you slice it, has to be a good thing. Scherzer worked in relief in game 4, very unlikely to start Game 1 on 3 days rest. This means we likely don't see Scherzer more than twice also. Considering the Detroit bullpen and their 3-5 starters and this puts alot of pressure on Fister.

Oakland presents a different problem as we haven't seen some of their young pitchers much, but their scouts must have lots of data on our guys who are proven veterans with a long history. Sonny Gray , I think is a pitcher the Sox batters know very little about....this could be an advantage for Oakland the first time through the lineup, but I give the Red Sox batters, batting coaches and scouts the benefit of the doubt on the second time he goes through our potent lineup.

I think Oakland would be the tougher opponent because Detroit has played themselves into a position where they can't lineup the rotation the best possible way for them which would be to throw Verlander and Scherzer at us in 5 or 6 games of a 7-game series...with the series vs, Oakland going to game 5, there is no way that can happen.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

The Tigers are set up to throw Scherzer in game 2 and 6 with Verlander set for game 3 and 7. If their backs are against the wall, they can bring both back on short rest for game 5 and 6 respectively.  Bottom line is a team is going to have to beat one of them to get past Detroit.

Going to be a tough series either way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sanchez is no slouch, he just had a bad game other day. He starts Game 1, Sox are in for a battle.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Tampa was not a good baseball team. A's and Tigers are very good baseball teams. Good baseball teams don't feature offenses like the Rays. AAA teams do.

The Tigers are a good team?

They have spent over a billion dollars in bloated labor costs that have not produced any championships since Reagan's first term.  And in that cream puff division that has produced only one title since its creation...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Detroit's' lineup looks much weaker with a tamed Miggy. Both teams are good, just like Tampa was good.  You have to play a 162 game season to make it to the playoffs and often the wildcard teams do well because they are the HOT team.  Tampa was a good team playing good baseball.  No I don't think that in any way equates to victory in the ALCS.

Softy has effectively stated the obvious: The Sox will be challenged in the ALCS.

Gee really you think?  

He what will happen if I drop this apple from atop this ladder? I think maybe you should start a thread on gravity, then again you probably don't believe in science. 

He's like Peggy Hill from King of the Hill

"It is my opinion that the Red Sox will start the ALCS on Saturday"

"It is my opinion that if you drop an apple off the roof it will fall"

"It is my opinion that the Wednesday before Thanskgiving is the busiest travel day of the year"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

REally then how the heck they are a better team than the yankees and the Orioles?

So you re saying that the Yankees and the Orioles are an AAA team too??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

After tonight, avoid him like the plague.