Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox

You've heard it here first. The following changes will be made within the next two weeks:

1. Sox will realize no closer exists. Aaron Cook will be brought up to be the 5th starter. Bard will either close or set up for Padilla.

2. Youkilis will continue his decline. He will come down with the Helenic College Flu, be placed on the DL and Middlebrooks will be called up.

3. Jason Repko will be recalled in place of Thomas. With this old team, they can not afford to have a three man bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox

In Response to Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox:
    You've heard it here first. The following changes will be made within the next two weeks: 1. Sox will realize no closer exists. Aaron Cook will be brought up to be the 5th starter. Bard will either close or set up for Padilla. 2. Youkilis will continue his decline. He will come down with the Helenic College Flu, be placed on the DL and Middlebrooks will be called up. 3. Jason Repko will be recalled in place of Thomas. With this old team, they can not afford to have a three man bench.
    Posted by ADG

I'd give it through the end of April, but 1 wouldn't surprise me at all given Cook's opt out date and 3 should have happened when the Sox broke camp.  Maybe not Repko, but someone else for the bench.  A 13 man pitching staff is absurd, especially when we don't have much in the way of positional flexibility with the position players.  Yes, Punto and Aviles can move around, but Papi isn't going to see the field, Shoppach can only catch (I get that you need a backup catcher, but that's why you use a 4 man bench).

#2 seems to be a bit of an over reaction.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I rather take Ciriaco than Repko

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Iggy should be called up and Aviles moved to 3B.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox:
    I rather take Ciriaco than Repko
    Posted by seannybboi

I'm with you on this one.  He can absolutely fly on the bases plus he's versatile enough to play three of the IF positions.  That gives this team the flexibility to have him pinch-run for seven players if you count Papi and you're willing to move Avilas into the outfield for an inning or two late in the game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : I'm with you on this one.  He can absolutely fly on the bases plus he's versatile enough to play three of the IF positions.  That gives this team the flexibility to have him pinch-run for seven players if you count Papi and you're willing to move Avilas into the outfield for an inning or two late in the game.
    Posted by S5

i agree. plus he can HIT which is more than anyone can say for iggy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : i agree. plus he can HIT which is more than anyone can say for iggy.
    Posted by mef429

Iglesisas has not been given the chance to hit. Yes, he hit .200 in ST, but he put the ball in play striking out only 3 times. He is exactly 2 for 6 at the major league level. So to say he can't hit is simply not accurate.

Ciriaco is an exciting player and probably should have made the r25 man roster,
    but what we need is pitching and defense, which wins games. Apparently, scoring 12 runs isn't enough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : i agree. plus he can HIT which is more than anyone can say for iggy.
    Posted by mef429

His career numbers disagree with you.  I'll take career numbers over ST numbers any day.

That being said, he's still a better fit for this team than a 13th pitcher!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Within in the next two weeks."

#3 maybe....I don't see 13 pitchers on the roster for the entire month of April. But since many of these pitchers are not stretched out yet, it makes sense to start the season with more pitchers than bench players. If the team continues to struggle a few minor tweaks will be introduced. However, #2 and #1 are "knee jerk" reactions to a bad opening series. I would not expect the coaching staff to over react the way posters on this board do. They are not about to "punt" on 2nd down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I don't understand the uproar over 13 pitchers.  It was clearly a temporary move to sort out the pen in the wake of Bailey's injury.  It was stated as such.  And, in the wake of the meltdowns and the interesting good turns from Padilla and Morales, carrying 13 looks like a pretty smart move at this juncture.  Once some roles are better defined, they will option someone and bring up another utility guy.  Its that simple and I don't think the starters and bench are going to wear down in the next month because there is one less guy on the bench.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : Son, I like your thinking here !!!   You sound like your ready to come over to the "smart side"  with  Dad, Bill-806, & Hank Williams too !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

So Bill, it's true. Wow, I'm so disappointed. You have gone over the the dark side as one of softy's flunkies.

I thought you and your Dad were smarter than that. Despite all your bluster, all you panicky posts and laments in times of trouble, I thought at the end of the day, reason and common sense ruled the day with you.

I'm sorry to see I was wrong.

Seek help. The rest of us are praying for you and your baseball soul.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I don't understand the uproar over 13 pitchers.  It was clearly a temporary move to sort out the pen in the wake of Bailey's injury.  It was stated as such.  And, in the wake of the meltdowns and the interesting good turns from Padilla and Morales, carrying 13 looks like a pretty smart move at this juncture.  Once some roles are better defined, they will option someone and bring up another utility guy.  Its that simple and I don't think the starters and bench are going to wear down in the next month because there is one less guy on the bench.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

No kidding. It's amazing how common sense goes out the window with so many fans.

When 13 pitchers were announced, smart fans thought, "No problem. I wonder who'll be the one sent down in the next week or so."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : Iglesisas has not been given the chance to hit. Yes, he hit .200 in ST, but he put the ball in play striking out only 3 times. He is exactly 2 for 6 at the major league level. So to say he can't hit is simply not accurate. Ciriaco is an exciting player and probably should have made the r25 man roster, but what we need is pitching and defense, which wins games. Apparently, scoring 12 runs isn't enough.
    Posted by Alibiike

Based on yesterday's game it's hard to dispute that 12 run's isn't enough to win, but I'm hoping that's not indicative of the whole season.  If it is this team has bigger problems than offense and defense!
    I can see Ciriaco as someone who seldom starts a game but is used as a pinch-runner in close games and then fills in in the IF for the remainder of the game. Given BV's penchant for the running game I could see a lot of SB's in Ciriaco's future which could translate into a lot of one-run wins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by SpacemanEephus

You understand this, I understand this. Moon, joebreidey and all the posters who have lived through 30 or more Aprils understand that many teams begin with a bloated pitching staff and eventually pare down to 12 or 11.

I think, most of the posters here who over react and panic lack the basic understanding of strategy and roster moves. They look at things that are not the cause of the problem, but they seem wrong, so it's something worth b*tching about.

I believe many of them think the real world is like Playstation , where if you struggle , you can hit "reset" or go to "create a player" and add a superstar to your roster. Failing that you can trade Mark Melacon to the Yankees for C.C. Sabbathia...the Playstation would allow this trade, it doesn't have a built in "fairness" mode, unless you opt fro "allow fair trades only" , an option I've seen on past games ....in real life it's a little tougher to win games...you are dealt a hand, and you have a lot fewer options on how to improve it. Many of them involve risks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Youk is the one that worries me. I just have this sinking feeling that we will never see the old Youk again, and that's too bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

With Cook's opt out , no doubt he will be up soon. Bard to the pen may be inevitable. Thomas goes down. Then, unless someone goes on the D.L. or Crawford returns ahead of schedule , we will probably see Ciriaco or Repko , with Atchison back down for the umpteenth time. Thirteen pitchers is strictly temporary. At some point , we will most likely get a look at Lavarnway , Iglesias and possibly Middlebrooks. If the Sox continue to flounder, there may well be a major shake up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Youk is the one that worries me. I just have this sinking feeling that we will never see the old Youk again, and that's too bad.
    Posted by TheExaminer

You and me both.

I'm still about 80-20 that he'll be fine but it's a very tenous 80-20. Most of me believes that a bad spring was just that a bad spring on paper, but nothing more than a veteran getting his work in.

And 0-for-8 only looks bad because it's the start of the season. Last year, even with the .258 BA, he was on pace for close to 30 HRs and 100 RBIs before injuries slowed him and finally shut him down.

But we now have three straight years where he went on the DL. (Remember the DL stint in May 2009 that forced Tito to play Lowell a bit more than he should have. We have the .258 BA last year, the bad spring, the slow start, albeit two games, and him being a year older.

If he's hitting .200 with 2 HR and 7 RBI at the end of April, my confidence will be down to 60-40 and dropping fast.

Of course, he could go 3-for-4 today with a HR and three RBIs and take off from there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

Agree. Maybe it may be best for Youk to get traded and get some pitching in return.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

There is nothing like having a ground-ball picher in Fenway...Cook needs to be called up...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : So Bill, it's true. Wow, I'm so disappointed. You have gone over the the dark side as one of softy's flunkies. I thought you and your Dad were smarter than that. Despite all your bluster, all you panicky posts and laments in times of trouble, I thought at the end of the day, reason and common sense ruled the day with you. I'm sorry to see I was wrong. Seek help. The rest of us are praying for you and your baseball soul.
    Posted by royf19
    I seem to remember softy not being quite as bad as he's been the last year. Yes, he always had an irrational hatred for Ells (jitterbug jake), but he really seemed to go off the deep end after Theo let Victor walk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Posted by TheExaminer

The thing I notice with Youk is that he seems to be trying to yank every pitch out of the park. This makes him a sucker for the slider away. Maybe he feels that because he is hitting cleanup , he needs to do that.  I think he would do better if he went back to what made him successful. Hit the ball where it is pitched, use the whole field and work the count. I am getting tired of seeing that anguished look on his face as he storms back to the dugout. Go back to what worked in the past.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : The thing I notice with Youk is that he seems to be trying to yank every pitch out of the park. This makes him a sucker for the slider away. Maybe he feels that because he is hitting cleanup , he needs to do that.  I think he would do better if he went back to what made him successful. Hit the ball where it is pitched, use the whole field and work the count. I am getting tired of seeing that anguished look on his face as he storms back to the dugout. Go back to what worked in the past.
    Posted by dgalehouse
    That seems to be what works best for everyone. Maybe Youk should spend some one on one time with Gonzo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Soon to Be Changes for the Red Sox : That seems to be what works best for everyone. Maybe Youk should spend some one on one time with Gonzo.
    Posted by carnie

Or dgalehouse.  :-) 
    That was the best post I've read all day!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Youkilis has been done for a couple years now. Trade him while he still has a scintilla of value. Youkilis should have been the odd man out, not Beltre, when Adrian Gonzalez was acquired. Beltre is better than Youkilis in almost every offensive and defensive category as a third baseman, and only marginally more expensive than him.

Sections
Shortcuts