Sorry, but I don't like it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Sorry, but I don't like it

In response to Alibiike's comment:

His hitting hurts the Sox? What about a 9.5M SS hitting .225?

Give me a break.

Um, you might want to look past BA sometime and acquaint yourself with concepts like extra-base hits and even the old favorite, RBI.  Even most hardcore old-schoolers like those numbers.

Drew 28 EBH 37 RBI

Iggy 13 EBH 19 RBI

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to maine12's comment:

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Iggy was a potential fixture at a position that has been a revolving door since  Nomar  left. He's been better than anyone could have possibly expected this year -- who cares how many of his hits are infield hits?

I understand he had value and would have to be moved  to get someone, but he's worth a lot more than a decent 32-year-old  pitcher who  hasn't won more  than 11 games since 2007.

I'll be happy to eat crow in October,  but I doubt that will happen.

Do you realize we have the best SS top prospect in Pawtucket right now. That door will very soon be closed!!!!! Iggy hitting has been aweful lately, your looking at a guy who at best will bat .270/3 hr/40RBI. Obviously the Red Sox care about all of his infield hits. It not like the guy was driving the ball to the gaps.

But it honestly shows how little you actually know about baseball when you bring up wins as a stat.Chris Sale is on 6-10 this year! Anyone who follows baseball realizes he is one of the best pitchers in the game. AND HE PLAYS ON THE SAME TEAM AS PEAVY. Look at his whip, lowest of all active starters on the Red Sox 

I look for the sox to add a guy like Micheal Young to play 3B. He reminds me alot of Mike Lowell and has had so many clutch hits in his careen. It always a bonus to add a veteran guy who has been to October. 

If Iggy is being compared favorably with the likes of Omar Vizquel and Ozzie Smith, how can anyone justify this trade? Even though Bogaerts remains, how does that justify trading a gold glove caliber SS for a stop-gap starting pitcher?

Do your research. Iggy is far from ever making an all-star roster. As you know New England fans can over hype a player, thats exactly what happened in the past 4 months. TP lets make an easier comparable situation for you. Kyle Arrington led the NFL in INT's 2 years ago. Should we put him in the likes of Dion, Revis, and Law at CB. No, because he just had a few ball get tipped his way, and as we both know he gets beat in many different areas. Just like how Iggy has many holes in his game. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good discussion from both sides.  Thanks everyone for your insights.  Of some interest is that both Peter Abraham and Nick Cafardo not only endorsed this trade, but said it was essential because the Sox need a starter to stay in the race.   All true, I am sure. 

I also agree with anyone who says that Bogaerts is overall a better SS because of his presumed much better bat. 

So why I am still unhappy?  Because Iglesias glove to me is worth the price of admission--of watching the Sox play on TV (I live in N. Virginia) and I figured Bogaerts could easily fit in at 3B or 1B or even the outfield.  He is 6'3", which is the right size for everything except SS even though there have been comparably sized, good SS's like Cal Ripken Jr (6'4"). 

I have said before, but never thought it would become an issue, that great fielding is the poetry of baseball and good hitting and good pitching are the essential prose of baseball that win pennants and WS. 

So, a question (because I intend to go down fighting).  Who takes over the left side of the Sox infield for the rest of the season?  With Iglesias gone, it's Drew at SS and goodness knows who at 3B, but probably not Middlebrooks or Bogaerts. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Good discussion from both sides.  Thanks everyone for your insights.  Of some interest is that both Peter Abraham and Nick Cafardo not only endorsed this trade, but said it was essential because the Sox need a starter to stay in the race.   All true, I am sure. 

I also agree with anyone who says that Bogaerts is overall a better SS because of his presumed much better bat. 

So why I am still unhappy?  Because Iglesias glove to me is worth the price of admission--of watching the Sox play on TV (I live in N. Virginia) and I figured Bogaerts could easily fit in at 3B or 1B or even the outfield.  He is 6'3", which is the right size for everything except SS even though there have been comparably sized, good SS's like Cal Ripken Jr (6'4"). 

I have said before, but never thought it would become an issue, that great fielding is the poetry of baseball and good hitting and good pitching are the essential prose of baseball that win pennants and WS. 

So, a question (because I intend to go down fighting).  Who takes over the left side of the Sox infield for the rest of the season?  With Iglesias gone, it's Drew at SS and goodness knows who at 3B, but probably not Middlebrooks or Bogaerts. 

I'm just wondering if this just might light a fire under clay buch. we need that kid back big time. time will tell.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

You do realize if Boggy becomes a 3B or 1B he looses a ton of his value. Thats what makes him so special, its rare to find a player with his power at SS. Their is plenty of 1B that can his and generate tons of gap power, but only few SS that can do that. Thats why the franchise will keep him a SS for years to come. Would you rather have Ian Desmond or Kendry Moralas? Ian Desmond is much more valuable even though they put up simular #'s other than stolen bases. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

Also SS in the MLB right now that are 6'3 or 6'2 include:

Tulowitski

Jeter

Desmond

Hanley

Zobrist

Peralta

Alexei Ramirez

Andleton Simmons

Brandon Crawford

Brad Miller

Pretty sure its normal for a SS to be 6'3 now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Stupid is as stupid does. Everyone thinis XB will be a great SS But they also thought WMB would be the future at 3B and he's back at AAA.

Next year, the Sox will be right back where they've been for the last 10 years........ Looking for someone to replace Nomar.

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

always appreciate your positive outlook and valuable input.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

AROD was 6'3 Cal Ripken Jr. was 6'4

Not comparing the players...but just adding to the list.  Bogaerts height should not be a concern. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I never bought the idea Iglesias was so good the ERA's would plummet, nor that he was much of a hitter.  But what I saw was poetry in motion, regardless of the games outcome.  Even the routine plays.  The Sox are still worth rooting for, of course, but suddenly less fun to watch.  Maybe Bogaerts will change my mind.

Well theres the rub max. Its not so much that its bad for the team as it is simply that we all liked Iggy. He was easy to root for, other than his little attitude thing when he got demoted, which considering his age amd situation was somewhat understandable. I think thats where most of the anxst about the trade finds its source. We're sorry to see him go because he was fun to watch and we liked him. I wasnt crazy about it either, BUT, IF Peavey can stay healthy I think he will help the team. We may see Bogaerts soon too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Very, very bad deal. And particularly a bad deal in the short term of the rest of this season. 

Drew has been injured off-and-on  the whole year.  Who's going to play shortstop when he gets hurt again? 

Peavy adds nothing. He's a decent pitcher who will probably pitch poorly in Boston. I'd say there is a 90% chance this move hurts the team badly in the short term. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Iggy was a potential fixture at a position that has been a revolving door since  Nomar  left. He's been better than anyone could have possibly expected this year -- who cares how many of his hits are infield hits?

I understand he had value and would have to be moved  to get someone, but he's worth a lot more than a decent 32-year-old  pitcher who  hasn't won more  than 11 games since 2007.

Lloyd, I hate to see Iglesias go.  His glove is golden and i too do not care about his unsustainable BABIP or any of that.  I also am not sure Peavey is any kind of solid answer, even as rotation support (though I would be happy to eat crow in October too). 

BUT, the single factor that those, such as yourself, who cannot square to this deal, is that the organization has clearly shifted its view and sees Boegarts as the SS of the very near future.  So, given this, it really doesn't mae much sense to hold on to Iglesias.  Now, should he have been the centerpiece of a package to net a better stretch aid than Peavy?  That is a serious question.  But, as beautiful as he is to watch, Jose was expendable.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

Iggy is a back up SS. Half of the hits he had were infield hits. The sox sold on him at the highest possible value he will ever have. Peavy is a more consistant Lester but as a RHP. 

I completely agree on Iggy. Perfect timing by Ben.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to craze4sox's comment:

The Sox do because he was lucky and the luck was quickly running out. Sorry, but although the glove was good, Bogey is the better all around SS. Like the Sox, I prefer a more balanced game from my SS. Ill take slightly worse defense if the offense is as good as Bogey's is. Also with either Middy or Cecchini at 3b, THAT will be a formidable left side IF in MLB.

I was worried about Peavy too. The injury had nothing to do with his prior arm issues, but Im still concerned. The Sox had to make a move for the post season with Buch's status unknown. Ben had an obligation to the fans and the team without hurting the future. They believe Bogey is the future SS so they werent interrupting anything. we also got a controllable RH reliever who throws heat and is controlled through 2020 for the future as well.

Its a hard pill to swallow for some and I understand that, but IMHO a move had to be done and when you can get a SP like Peavy for that price in this years market, you do it.

I totally agree southpaw, Iggy was a great defender but Bogaerts could put up Machado/Nomar type numbers at some point and he's still only 20.  Bradley and Bogy were the ones to keep even though it may hurt our defense.  If "big if" Middy can contribute it will also solve our need for another RH bat.  Middy is presently hitting 313 in the minors against lefties which doesn't mean a great deal until he can do it here but its a good sign.

Hey craze! good "seeing" you again...

I understand all the dislike for this trade. Iggy is a great defender. But I agree with the Sox in selling very high on Iggy. Theres just no telling at this point where his hitting will end up. Most of his hits were IF ones that found a hole or perfectly place. Thats luck never lasts. I enjoyed watching the kid field and he should win a few GG if he holds a FT job. With Detroits lineup, he shouldnt have an issue. They are a better fit for him IMHO.

Bogey is just a better all around player. We will lose a bit on defense, but his offense should more than make up for it. I know its tough for some to see a solid glove up the middle go, But with Buchs health a question they had to made a move IMHO.

Peavy started 30+ games last year after taking care of his arm issues. His injury this year wasnt related to that arm and he looked good before the rib injury. His late season numbers are great and hes a huge competitive guy. The Sox must have liked what they saw on his medical reports enough to feel comfortable trading for him along with his deal that runs through 2014, which will give guys like Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and even Workman (although he appears to be ready) to develop another year and also gives the Sox enough starters to possibly deal one over the winter if they so choose.

Buchholz, Lester, Peavy, lackey, Doubront, Dempster...I like it. Thats a solid top 3 with another 3 great options. They key word is health.

Hey bud,

I wish Iggy the best and if not for the Peralta situation I don't think we could have got Peavy without giving up much more.  I agree on Workman and think he can help Taz from the right side in the pen for now.  Our team will be fine and the SP was desperately needed.  I give our FO credit for not just hoping for the best this season, they seem to be in it to win it.

If Clay returns to form we have a great PS rotation to go along with a decent offense.  If Middy comes around?  Great things could happen sooner than any of us ever expected.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Michael Young just said he would accept a trade to the Sox, so hes an option depending on if Philly doesnt ask for something ridiculous for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

Very, very bad deal. And particularly a bad deal in the short term of the rest of this season. 

Drew has been injured off-and-on  the whole year.  Who's going to play shortstop when he gets hurt again? 

Peavy adds nothing. He's a decent pitcher who will probably pitch poorly in Boston. I'd say there is a 90% chance this move hurts the team badly in the short term. 

based on what? He had a solid season last year and was doing good this year until the rib injury. Everyone who knows or played with him, including Lou Merloni says his makeup and attitude is made for a place like Boston. very competitive, loves the big stage and isnt intimidated by it.

So what makes you say he will pitch poorly here?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Lloyd, I hate to see Iglesias go.  His glove is golden and i too do not care about his unsustainable BABIP or any of that.  I also am not sure Peavey is any kind of solid answer, even as rotation support (though I would be happy to eat crow in October too). 

BUT, the single factor that those, such as yourself, who cannot square to this deal, is that the organization has clearly shifted its view and sees Boegarts as the SS of the very near future.  So, given this, it really doesn't mae much sense to hold on to Iglesias.  Now, should he have been the centerpiece of a package to net a better stretch aid than Peavy?  That is a serious question.  But, as beautiful as he is to watch, Jose was expendable.

Well said Eeph. The team was already looking toward Bogaerts whether we realized it or not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

First reaction negative, now feeling more positive, wait and see I guess.  He was a thrill to watch in the field.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I'd put the odds at 50-50.  You may be right on Peavy.  I fear, even if he stays healthy, he may get blown up in the Beast.  Not a sure thing by any means.

But, losing Iglesias is not as bad as you make it out.  The answer to the inevitable Who? should Drew get injured again, is Xander Boegarts.  The organization made this deal because they obviously deem X ready for prime time.  I miss Jose already, but i am also excited to see what the X-Man can do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The Sox do because he was lucky and the luck was quickly running out. Sorry, but although the glove was good, Bogey is the better all around SS. Like the Sox, I prefer a more balanced game from my SS. Ill take slightly worse defense if the offense is as good as Bogey's is. Also with either Middy or Cecchini at 3b, THAT will be a formidable left side IF in MLB.

I was worried about Peavy too. The injury had nothing to do with his prior arm issues, but Im still concerned. The Sox had to make a move for the post season with Buch's status unknown. Ben had an obligation to the fans and the team without hurting the future. They believe Bogey is the future SS so they werent interrupting anything. we also got a controllable RH reliever who throws heat and is controlled through 2020 for the future as well.

Its a hard pill to swallow for some and I understand that, but IMHO a move had to be done and when you can get a SP like Peavy for that price in this years market, you do it.

I totally agree southpaw, Iggy was a great defender but Bogaerts could put up Machado/Nomar type numbers at some point and he's still only 20.  Bradley and Bogy were the ones to keep even though it may hurt our defense.  If "big if" Middy can contribute it will also solve our need for another RH bat.  Middy is presently hitting 313 in the minors against lefties which doesn't mean a great deal until he can do it here but its a good sign.

Hey craze! good "seeing" you again...

I understand all the dislike for this trade. Iggy is a great defender. But I agree with the Sox in selling very high on Iggy. Theres just no telling at this point where his hitting will end up. Most of his hits were IF ones that found a hole or perfectly place. Thats luck never lasts. I enjoyed watching the kid field and he should win a few GG if he holds a FT job. With Detroits lineup, he shouldnt have an issue. They are a better fit for him IMHO.

Bogey is just a better all around player. We will lose a bit on defense, but his offense should more than make up for it. I know its tough for some to see a solid glove up the middle go, But with Buchs health a question they had to made a move IMHO.

Peavy started 30+ games last year after taking care of his arm issues. His injury this year wasnt related to that arm and he looked good before the rib injury. His late season numbers are great and hes a huge competitive guy. The Sox must have liked what they saw on his medical reports enough to feel comfortable trading for him along with his deal that runs through 2014, which will give guys like Webster, Ranaudo, Barnes and even Workman (although he appears to be ready) to develop another year and also gives the Sox enough starters to possibly deal one over the winter if they so choose.

Buchholz, Lester, Peavy, lackey, Doubront, Dempster...I like it. Thats a solid top 3 with another 3 great options. They key word is health.

Hey bud,

I wish Iggy the best and if not for the Peralta situation I don't think we could have got Peavy without giving up much more.  I agree on Workman and think he can help Taz from the right side in the pen for now.  Our team will be fine and the SP was desperately needed.  I give our FO credit for not just hoping for the best this season, they seem to be in it to win it.

If Clay returns to form we have a great PS rotation to go along with a decent offense.  If Middy comes around?  Great things could happen sooner than any of us ever expected.

I think most here like Iggy and nobody is saying anything bad about him. But some here just realize that the Sox view Bogey as the SS going forward and that made Iggy expendable. Thats how it goes sometimes.

We wish him the best, except against usTongue Out

Our starting rotation and bullpen just got better.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I'd put the odds at 50-50.  You may be right on Peavy.  I fear, even if he stays healthy, he may get blown up in the Beast.  Not a sure thing by any means.

But, losing Iglesias is not as bad as you make it out.  The answer to the inevitable Who? should Drew get injured again, is Xander Boegarts.  The organization made this deal because they obviously deem X ready for prime time.  I miss Jose already, but i am also excited to see what the X-Man can do.

X-Man. I like it. Good call Eeph.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Good Post Max.....I think the Sox may not reveal it, but I think they already feel they have aplan for 2014 and beyond for the Left Side of the Infield...I think they think in a perfect world, that would be Middlebrooks at 3B and Boegaarts at SS, with their eventual out being, IF Middlebrooks cna not redicover himself at the ML level, then Marrero at SS and Boegaarts at 3B.....and if all fails, then you go to the Market. I along with a few other posters was alwasy in Iggys' corner because of his defense, Insisting he did not need to spend anymore developing his hitting in the minors, because whatever he hit was a bonus....that said, he doesn not project Long term to be much better than a .260 hitter, which is plenty for a guy with his defense, but the Sox could not have sold him at a higher value....amd if Boegaarts is what scouts think he is...this deal will work out just fine for the Sox. My only hope is that the Peavy acquisition is not because of the Sox knowledge about Clay B not pitching again this year....a Buch, Lester, Peavy Lackey rotation in the playoffs would be formidable with our Offense.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Peavy is a decent pitcher. Right now I don't see where he is an upgrade on anyone in Boston's starting five, and that is without Buchholtz in the mix. 

Why do I think Peavy will pitch less well in Boston than he has pitched (not so great) in Chicago? It's because there are very few players who come to Boston and play better than they had played some place else. The city is a pressure cooker and a lot of players haven't been able to deal with it. 

Long term, if Bogaerts can play shortstop then he's got to remain at short. That increases his value to the team tremendously.  For the moment the Sox needed Iggy as shortstop depth. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

IF what we hear about buch is true,

I'm not convinced sox needed peavy

never a big iggy fan,  always thought his gloves value was overrated

at this point he was probably less needed in bos than peavy

good job by ben trading iggy high

looks like holt is getting the 3B call

mbrooks can't be loving it

if they are not calling him up now

is it fair to assume they tried to move him

IMO they should give mbrooks another shot

B4 bogarts gets a shot at 3B

Agree with everything except the part about Middlebrooks. I think with Middlebrooks, they jsut want him focused on getting his batting approach on track by keeping him in Pawtucket awhile longer and staying patient.

We'll see.

I'm inclined to say that Middlebrooks will get the call back up before Bogaerts (before Sept.) but who knows?

I think ideally, Middlebrooks comes up, wins the jobs, stays at 3B for the next two years. Bogaerts takes over at SS for the next two years. Then by the time Bogaerts fills out more and might be too big for SS, by then Marrero is ready and takes over at SS, Bogaerts moves to 3B, and Middlebrooks takes over 1B. Or Bogaerts moves to the OF with Cecchini taking over at 3B.

Sections
Shortcuts