Sorry, but I don't like it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sorry, but I don't like it

In response to devildavid's comment:

This appears to be a win now move. My gut tells me they probably make the playoffs, but don't make it to the World Series. If they prove me wrong and do win it all, is this deal worth it? Maybe. You can buy a lot of fan good will with a championship. On the other hand, our "can't miss" prospects in the minors might not make it. Iggy is the real deal with the glove, even if his hitting becomes sub-par. If he proves to be a long term, full time defensive wizard, we could regret this deal. Sox have a short window to get maximum value from Peavey. Is a championship worth it? Could be. But it's a long shot.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

This is a tough spot, from a public opinion standpoint, for a GM to be in.  Yes, there is risk in sacrificing a known-quantity defensive whiz SS with the notion that the guy behind him is can't miss.  But, if you have a club who is perched, at the end of July, for a surprising division/playoff run, do you not have a responsibility to sieze the moment and go for broke?  I can certainly envision the weeping and gnashing of teeth if the Sox had done nothing to bolster the cause in the name of protecting all assets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Iggy is the real deal with the glove, thats it.

Iggy wasnt the future SS. Bogaerts is. Hes about as cant miss as they can get. Iggy hasnt proved anything offensively at the MLB level which basically puts him on the same level as some of these prospects. He may or may not pan out offensively.

With that said, when guys like Bogey and Cecchini hit 300+ throughout the MiL, Id say they have a better chance succeeding offensively than Iggy ever will. Also be solid enough on defense too. They dont need to be as good as Iggy on defense, but they will probably be better all around players than he ever will be.

This move improves our pitching and gives us insurance for Buch and also Lackey and Doubront. Lackey had a year off and may hit a wall. Doubie hasnt pitched more than 161IP in one year and could also hit a wall. Drews defense has been solid this year and yes, Ill take my chances with a talent like Bogey being a better all around SS than Iggy next year.

A GM has a responsibility to the fan base and organization to "go for it" what the opportunity presents itself. Ben did not give up anything that would steer us off couse of the original goal and also bolstered the SP in the process.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I guess I'm much too conservative to be a GM - or maybe I've been jaded by being a Red Sox fan for as long as I have.   Here's the way I see it:
    This team is currently rolling alone 1/2 game out of 1st and the FO has just traded away our starting 3B (who also may be our SS of the future).  This is going to work out perfectly if....

Jake Peavey pitches well and doesn't go down with any further injuries

and

Stephen Drew gets his stroke back so he can hit like he has in the past - which he hasn't done recently.  One swallow doesn't make a summer any more than one double makes a trend.

and

the FO somehow finds/discovers someone to play 3B who can contribute as much on balance as Iggy did (Middlebrooks?  Bogarts?  Young? Who knows?)  Isn't this a poor point in the season to not have any idea who your starting 3B is going to be?

and...

Bogarts pans out as our future SS (he has HOW MANY ML games now?  Hint <1).  I'd have preferred to be sure he could do it before I traded away my "insurance".  (See JBJ)

If any one of these things doesn't work out the FO would have been better off not having made that trade.   In a worst case scenario the Sox wouldn't have qualifed for PS play and the Sox would go to Ft.M next March with someone they knew could handle the SS position.  And that's the worst case. 

Am I being unduly pessimistic to think that all four of these things aren't going to go as planned?   I truly hope this works but had I been the GM it wouldn't have happened. There are too many things that could go wrong to believe that at least one of them wouldn't. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Yes, you're being too pessimistic on the Red Sox side, and not pessimistic enough on the Tigers / White Sox side.  

If the Sox win the world series, and Peavy plays a significant role. the loss is acceptable no matter what Iglesias becomes.

If the Sox win the world series next year, and Peavy plays a significant role in the playoffs or regular season, the loss is acceptable no matter what Iglesias becomes.

If Iglesias has the Rey Ordonez career that he looked destined for four months ago, then the deal works out fine no matter what Bogaerts, Middlebrooks & Cecchini become.

If the Sox trade Peavy before the end of his contract, and the return goes on to be more significant than Iglesias, it's a win for the Sox.

If the Sox keep Peavy through his contract, and get a first-round draft pick who then goes on to be more significant than Iglesias, it's a win for the Sox.

If Bogaerts and Iglesias turn out to be a push, and Peavy proves an upgrade over Brandon Worman, it's a win for the sox, because they couldn't play both players at the same spot at the same time.

There are a lot of ways this works out in the Sox favor.  And don't forget - Iglesias has a .116 OBP over the past 13 games.  That's horrible.  When he slumps, he doesn't just fail to hit - he can't get on base; he can't even work the count.  That's the opposite of what has made this team successful this year.  That's the opposite of the approach that Middlebrooks is working very hard at Pawtucket to adopt.  We haven't really had the superstars, other than Ortiz, but we've had no holes.  If Drew and his .718 OPS is our weak link, then we're doing just fine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

This is a tough spot, from a public opinion standpoint, for a GM to be in.  Yes, there is risk in sacrificing a known-quantity defensive whiz SS with the notion that the guy behind him is can't miss.  But, if you have a club who is perched, at the end of July, for a surprising division/playoff run, do you not have a responsibility to sieze the moment and go for broke?  I can certainly envision the weeping and gnashing of teeth if the Sox had done nothing to bolster the cause in the name of protecting all assets.

Agreed, and I'll go one step further and say that no matter what Cherington did or didn't do at the deadline this year, a lot of people would be unhappy about it.  If we had traded Bradley and more for Cliff Lee the place would be in an uproar today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to Frank N Stein's comment:

Peavy is another Aaron Cook. a guy who had one good year in the NL.

Wow could you be anymore uninformed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

If they prove me wrong and do win it all, is this deal worth it? Maybe.

we dont have to look too far back in our past to answer this question.

i will answer it with 3 questions to you.

How did you feel July 31, 2004?

How did you feel October 27, 2004?

was it worth it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Agreed, and I'll go one step further and say that no matter what Cherington did or didn't do at the deadline this year, a lot of people would be unhappy about it.  If we had traded Bradley and more for Cliff Lee the place would be in an uproar today.

Without Detroit's Peralta Dilemma I think Boston would still be scrambling for a starter, or continue using Workman and hoping for the best.  Considering all thats left seems to guys like Bud Norris losing Iggy was probably a steal for Peavy because it also allows us to move Workman to the pen.  I wouldn't have wanted anyone but Garza or Peavy.  Lee is a great pitcher but older and not worth giving up a few of our best young players for. 

Next big move for the Sox should probably be none at all, or for another 3B like Young if the price is right and they don't feel Middy or Bogy are the answer.  I don't see Snyder or Holt at 3B long term so thats a possibility.  Any major move for Bradley or our young arms should be for a youngster like Stanton which someone already mentioned.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

Its comments like this  that truely show how uninformed and ignorant some "fans" really are. I  posted a reply to this on page 3 and listed stats from a 5 year span in SD where Peavy had a sub 3 ERA and was dominant during that time. It isnt too hard to take 2 minutes and do a little research before a dimwit like this posts something as ridiculous as what he did.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Its comments like this  that truely show how uninformed and ignorant some "fans" really are. I  posted a reply to this on page 3 and listed stats from a 5 year span in SD where Peavy had a sub 3 ERA and was dominant during that time. It isnt too hard to take 2 minutes and do a little research before a dimwit like this posts something as ridiculous as what he did.

While Peavy has had some injuries and inconsistency the last few seasons, I'm kind of amazed to see people talking like he's just some scrub. This is a very talented and accomplished pitcher we just acquired. I know Iglesias had become something of a fan favorite this season, but we got a pitcher who could be a real difference-maker over the next 2-3 months plus next season and did not have to give up Bogaerts, Bradley, or any of our top pitching prospects. That to me is a victory.

As Hfx said, if Ben had opted to hold on to every single young player and do nothing, the majority of the forum would be calling for his head at the end of today.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

You are right about the odds are 50-50 on Peavy.  Probably less because pitching in Fenway as a sox can be tough.....Eric Gagne.

Right, so let's just not trade for pitchers ever again.  Good thinking. 

Nope, did not say that but nice negative spin by you.

How can you accuse anyone of trying to put a negative spin on your post. You just said he would probably fail because Gagne did.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to maine12's comment:

If Iggy is being compared favorably with the likes of Omar Vizquel and Ozzie Smith, how can anyone justify this trade? Even though Bogaerts remains, how does that justify trading a gold glove caliber SS for a stop-gap starting pitcher?

Do your research. Iggy is far from ever making an all-star roster. As you know New England fans can over hype a player, thats exactly what happened in the past 4 months. TP lets make an easier comparable situation for you. Kyle Arrington led the NFL in INT's 2 years ago. Should we put him in the likes of Dion, Revis, and Law at CB. No, because he just had a few ball get tipped his way, and as we both know he gets beat in many different areas. Just like how Iggy has many holes in his game. 

[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you like the trade? The way I see it, you either trust the Sox' scouting department and coaches, or you don't. They are saying that Iggy compares favorably with Omar Visquel...not me. David Ortiz has also stated that Iggy is the best defensive SS that he's ever seen. High praise, coming from this distinquished veteran. 

Sorry, but your Arrington situation is both silly, and no where near comparable. Despite Arrington's guady stats two years ago, I know of no Pats' fans (save one crazed homer named "Rusty") that were ready to equate him with Ty Law.

The fact that Iggy hit .330 while with the big club doesn't lead me to believe that the kid will be a life-time .300 hitter. But, it does lead me to believe that he can hit at least .250 in the majors. If a SS has great range, a rifle for and arm, and can turn a double-play like turning over cards, a team can live and thrive with him hitting his .250. That said, Iggy's OBP is a concern. Here is a scouting report on him:  http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/07/trade-analysis-scouting-player-dealt.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackbu. Show jackbu's posts

You are right about the odds are 50-50 on Peavy.  Probably less because pitching in Fenway as a sox can be tough.....Eric Gagne.

OK well, maybe you could make more of an effort to explain why Peavy is 'probably less than 50-50'.  All I saw was 'pitching in Fenway as a Sox can be tough', and 'Eric Gagne'

Please do expand on those insightful thoughts. 

time will tell, I am not against the trade but would have liked to have kept Iggy.  Losing him is not the end of the world. If you read my Opening Day at McCoy thread you know that he was very popular there.  He showed lots of potential and I still think he will do well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

If Iggy is being compared favorably with the likes of Omar Vizquel and Ozzie Smith, how can anyone justify this trade? Even though Bogaerts remains, how does that justify trading a gold glove caliber SS for a stop-gap starting pitcher?

Do your research. Iggy is far from ever making an all-star roster. As you know New England fans can over hype a player, thats exactly what happened in the past 4 months. TP lets make an easier comparable situation for you. Kyle Arrington led the NFL in INT's 2 years ago. Should we put him in the likes of Dion, Revis, and Law at CB. No, because he just had a few ball get tipped his way, and as we both know he gets beat in many different areas. Just like how Iggy has many holes in his game. 

RESPONSE: So...I take it that you like the trade? The way I see it, you either trust the Sox' scouting department and coaches, or you don't. They are saying that Iggy compares favorably with Omar Visquel...not me. David Ortiz has also stated that Iggy is the best defensive SS that he's ever seen. High praise, coming from this distinquished veteran. 

Sorry, but your Arrington situation is both silly, and no where near comparable. Despite Arrington's guady stats two years ago, I know of no Pats' fans (save one crazed homer named "Rusty") that were ready to equate him with Ty Law.

The fact that Iggy hit .330 while with the big club doesn't lead me to believe that the kid will be a life-time .300 hitter. But, it does lead me to believe that he can hit at least .250 in the majors. If a SS has great range, a rifle for and arm, and can turn a double-play like turning over cards, a team can live and thrive with him hitting his .250. That said, Iggy's OBP is a concern. Here is a scouting report on him:  http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/07/trade-analysis-scouting-player-dealt.html

The problem with Iglesias isn't the .250 BA, it's the .280 - .290 OBP that would go along with it.  If Bogaerts is 10% more likely to reach base than Iglesias, then Iglesias needs to make a hit-saving play once every 2.5 games, or 60 times a year to make up for the difference.  And that's not taking into account the power difference - total bases will be more like 30 - 40% in Bogaerts's favor.

We don't know for sure what Bogaerts will give us, but when all is said and done, it's tough to see Iglesias being the better all around player.  Same goes for Cecchini.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

OK well, maybe you could make more of an effort to explain why Peavy is 'probably less than 50-50'.  All I saw was 'pitching in Fenway as a Sox can be tough', and 'Eric Gagne'

Please do expand on those insightful thoughts. 

time will tell, I am not against the trade but would have liked to have kept Iggy.  Losing him is not the end of the world. If you read my Opening Day at McCoy thread you know that he was very popular there.  He showed lots of potential and I still think he will do well.

Yup, popularity at McCoy should be a definite factor, when deciding to trade a player....

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

This trade was illogical.  Forget about the three minor leaguer's we traded away.  Iglesias for Peavey straight up makes no sense.  The Red Sox did not protect Iglesias in the line-up, as we have heard year in and out about David Ortiz after Manny was traded.

Peavey will pitch about ten games for us this season.  Iglesias was a constant in the field everyday.  I will agree his batting average went down quite a bit, but so has the Red Sox offense. I wrote yesterday, before the trade, Cherington was in a no win situation.  This may be the trade that haunts him.

~ The Gnome

• You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

The problem with Iglesias isn't the .250 BA, it's the .280 - .290 OBP that would go along with it.  If Bogaerts is 10% more likely to reach base than Iglesias, then Iglesias needs to make a hit-saving play once every 2.5 games, or 60 times a year to make up for the difference.  And that's not taking into account the power difference - total bases will be more like 30 - 40% in Bogaerts's favor.

We don't know for sure what Bogaerts will give us, but when all is said and done, it's tough to see Iglesias being the better all around player.  Same goes for Cecchini.

Trade or release Drew. Bring up Bogaerts to play third and move Iglesias to short-stop.  The defense will be better, and one does not have to worry about an injury to Stephan Drew.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to PatsGnome's comment:

This trade was illogical.  Forget about the three minor leaguer's we traded away.  Iglesias for Peavey straight up makes no sense.  The Red Sox did not protect Iglesias in the line-up, as we have heard year in and out about David Ortiz after Manny was traded.

Peavey will pitch about ten games for us this season.  Iglesias was a constant in the field everyday.  I will agree his batting average went down quite a bit, but so has the Red Sox offense. I wrote yesterday, before the trade, Cherington was in a no win situation.  This may be the trade that haunts him.

~ The Gnome

Thanks for the amusingly nonsensical post.  The part about not protecting Iglesias in the lineup was the best.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Of course, one could argue that if they hadn't traded Justin Masterson they wouldn't need to make this trade.

See how bad, panic deals can continue to cripple the team years later?

Sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't make. The Tigers have Vistor Martinez and Iglesias, the Indians have Masterson and we are stuck with Peavy, who couldn't win more than 11 games since coming to the AL....Masterson has more wins already this season with the Indians!!...the Indians, who potenially could beat out the Red Sox for a playoff spot. Wouldn't that be sweet for Justin and Tito?

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Your post makes no sense.  It seems like you are trying to bring in too many disparate elements.

And, FWIW, we got Owens and Barnes for VMart.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Count me as modestly against the trade.  Unless Buchholz is hurt more than we think, in which case, I will be modestly in favor.

I think Iggy filled a nice slot at SS, with Bogie sliding to 3rd, and WMB into 1st.  That's a pretty good IF for a long time.

And even if one thinks that Peavy is a material upgrade over Workman, who sits when Buchholz returns?

OTOH, it provides kind of a rush for the team, and is good insurance if Buchholz doesn't return on time.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I was hoping that Boston could somehow work a trade to get Scott Downs from the Angels. Oh well.  

Iggy and his glove will be missed.  

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Frank, 

Stupid comments like this one show you've not done any research and your comment was made blindly without any thought. Like many your over reacting. This is a good trade. 

Peavy will make you eat your words. 

Hetch

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Of course, one could argue that if they hadn't traded Justin Masterson they wouldn't need to make this trade.

See how bad, panic deals can continue to cripple the team years later?

Sometimes the best trades you make are the ones you don't make. The Tigers have Vistor Martinez and Iglesias, the Indians have Masterson and we are stuck with Peavy, who couldn't win more than 11 games since coming to the AL....Masterson has more wins already this season with the Indians!!...the Indians, who potenially could beat out the Red Sox for a playoff spot. Wouldn't that be sweet for Justin and Tito?

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Your post makes no sense.  It seems like you are trying to bring in too many disparate elements.

And, FWIW, we got Owens and Barnes for VMart.

Joe, 

I also don't understand the love for Masterson. Before this year he was 30-45 in Cleveland with a WHIP of about 1.50 and a matching era in the high 4.50 area 3 of his first four year in Cleveland. He may be finally putting it together this year but it looked that way two years ago and then he digressed back into mediocrity last year.

Hetch 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from teamguy. Show teamguy's posts

If Buchholz is healthy, the Iggy trade never happens, imo.

But if you're going to trade a glove like that , at least trade for someone healthy. Peavy's injury history is extensive. Injuries in 4 of the past 5 years with significant time missed.

I'd never swap Iggy for that, but i don't have a seat in the office.

• Sections
    Shortcuts