SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE PRESENTLY SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE PRESENTLY SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

was great watching last nite as the sox won again. but its not the same. i dont feel true hatred anymore, the true personalities and characters are all long gone as the corporate-types have taken over. nothing could beat the intensity of the 2003-2004 days and even in 2007. this is no one's fault. the pats-jets equivalent is just better. they have stepped up their game even beyond 2003-2004 period. if anything,the new sox are now the old yanks as the new yanks have transformed into the old sox. today's pats reign supreme in the old yanks role as the jets are now increasingly stuck in the old sox role. these two teams have battled over coaches, players, schemes, espionage, etc. there have been mega-fines, grudges, violence, comic relief, tragedies and so on. the owners dont like each other, the coaches dont like each other, the players hate each other and enjoy each others' misery. it goes on in the off-season, during the season, etc. both teams are built to make sure they beat each other. 

they are each other's ultimate measuring stick. even the most classy no-drama players become muddy chickens when the other team is dared to be mentioned. WITH ONLY 16 games and a liberal wild card system, the games truly matter. the sox beat the yanks in a conference/divisional final type game, but lets face it everyone knows the fix is in. both teams will make the playoffs regardless of what anyone does from this point forward. its not as meaningful. with jets-pats, there is no such luxury. every game fully matters!

just yesterday, the pats landed a jet free agent defensive end sean ellis who beat our brains in during last years' playoffs in of course his most dominat game of the year. here's where the grudge really comes out. sean represents the draft pick traded to the jets when our present genius coach left the jets and the great parcells (pats super bowl coach who was double-dealing behind the scenes and decided to fly with the jets leadership rather than with his own team after the big game). the yanks-sox just dont have such hatred or cardd to play like an ellis. he was offered a one-year deal by the jets. to clearly spite them and show the ultimate venom, he pretty much took the same deal to come and play for the pats as a relative backup without the same team power and clout. 

i though the jets coach was going to cry during his press conference yesterday afternoon. he was really incensed and boiling for he grasped the unmistakable symbolism of such poaching. would be if kevin faulk refused to sign with the pats  but went to the jets for the exact same amount in a far less role. last year, it was woodhead (his real name), now its sean ellis. seems to be a one-way thing, in same way yanks always got the clemens and boggs (or that ruth guy) and we always got stuck with the ramiro mendozas (bernie williams in his peak would have been a great get). this rivalry is now like a college football one. imagine FL state and miami, alabama-auburn and such.. the 2 most intense and hyped games will be the two with the jets bar none. sox rivalry with the yanks is now more like the pats rivalry with the colts. of course it matters but its like two gentleman who fully respect and envy each other for supremacy. 

if pats destroyed the jets but lost in the first round, there would be many happy fans. almost seems like if pats won the super bowl but got destroyed along the way by the jets, it would be an incomplete year. pats fans now more about the jets than many know about their own team. unlike baseball,  where the yanks always blow out the poorer sox and everyone else with their payroll and first ballot HOF'rs, in football, there 's more salary parity so it all comes down to schemes, coaches, smarts and passion. again, yanks-sox are both corporate teams, same personality. both GMs are interchangeable. the only glaring difference is with the owners or ownership structure. with pats-jets, everything is different (both off and on the field) from top to bottom. total contrast in personality, organizational approach and hierarchal structure as well as differences between the coaches, owners, food spread, boundaries, etc.

so yeah move over sox-yanks, its about to be all about the pats-jets in a month. used to be boston was a sox town, now its all about pats nation. still want my sox to win it all to keep the titletown thing going and to keep NY frustrated but its just not the same even if we beat the yanks in the process. we are now the yanks' daddies. the jets have beaten us more times with ryan then we've beaten them, and all the games have been memorable, be it in blowouts or nailbiters! its the best sports have to offer! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

Call me back when the Jets win a championship.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

CC ... you put your heart into that post. 

But I cannot agree. 

Nothing, not even Celtics-Lakers, beats Sox-Yanquis.

It's a matter of the heart.  And since the Sox get 75% of - heck, 85% of my heart and the C's get 10 and ....  you can see where that's leading.

I enjoy the others ... but no one in my family has ever bought me a Pats thing.  The good wife bought me an official C's watch ... everyhting else is Sox.  The boys can buy me a Sox thing and know it's gonna hit the spot.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scarhill2000. Show scarhill2000's posts

Disagree, the Sox vs Skanks is unique.  The Pats vs Jets is mostly a figment of Rotund Rex's mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtics1986. Show Celtics1986's posts

No way because it is not clear that Manning vs Brady is still not really our best Pats rivalry.  Red Sox do not have another opponent that is close to being the rival NY is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Jets-Sharks maybe, but not Jets-Patriots. 

Three pretty good games between two heavyweights. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!:
    [QUOTE]Jets-Sharks maybe, but not Jets-Patriots.  Three pretty good games between two heavyweights. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Nah, the Jets-Sharks rivalry was literally dead after Chino shot Tony.  There's a place for them somewhere. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Although the Pats-Jets rivalry is getting good, it doesn't stack up with the Red Sox-Yankees or the Bruins-Habs rivalries. Jets-Pats just started to heat up  when Rex Ryan was hired 3 years ago as coach of the Jets. IMO, they have a long way to go to match the other 2 rivalries. I don't know about anyone else but my hatred towards the Yankees & Habs is still as deep as it ever was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Gotta disagree.  Yanks/Sox has more history, more frequency and more drama.

Just ask all those people who stayed for Josh's walk-off win - something that I predicted in another thread, btw.

But then again, even a broken clock is right twice a day, so I was due for one.

And while we are on the subject: Rex Ryan is an obnoxious sack of dirt.

Joe Girardi is thoughtful, considerate and a darn good manager, IMO.  I didn't think he would be, but he is.

Given a choice of who, among the enemy, to have a drink with after work, Girardi wins.

Respect for the opponent, not just trash talk, makes a good rivalry, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Pats-Jets?

Only if you are still in high school.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

sorry to disagree with you as well CC. the sox and yanks have been the greatest rivalry in sports since before you were born. me too for that matter. the pats and jets have just begun to have a rivalry which really isn't really a rivalry since the jets have not won squat since joe willie back in 69. jets need to win something.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I have to agree with all of the others.  The Pats-Jets rivalry isn't even close to the Red Sox - Yankees.  The Celtics vs Lakers is more of a rivalry than the Pats vs Jets.  At least both teams have won a lot of championships. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!:
    [QUOTE]Disagree, the Sox vs Skanks is unique.  The Pats vs Jets is mostly a figment of Rotund Rex's mind.
    Posted by scarhill2000[/QUOTE]well rex has put his FEET down on this!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

The Yankees have had the upper hand for about a century, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been a pretty good rivalry--more so to us Sox fans, I suspect, than to the Yankee fans who no doubt compare themselves to the Ming dynasty in China. 

Since John Henry arrived, the Sox have definitely made this a no-baloney rivalry.  Periodically we get stats like, "over the last umteen years, the series stands at 100-100" or whatever.  Sox have 2 WS wins to the Yankees 1 in recent years, etc.  Patriots and Jets have been pretty one-sided.  Plus I personally could care less about Jets football. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from -The---Babe----------------. Show -The---Babe----------------'s posts

Actually, there hasn't really been a rivalry between the Yanks and the sawx but for a few years.

You had a couple of years in the 1970's and then a few years in the early part of this decade. Other than that not much of a rivalry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, there hasn't really been a rivalry between the Yanks and the sawx but for a few years. You had a couple of years in the 1970's and then a few years in the early part of this decade. Other than that not much of a rivalry.
    Posted by -The---Babe----------------[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you aren't posting on a Tampa Bay forum.  You seem sort of interested in it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

I always looked as the Dolphins as the bigger rival. I despise them more then the Jets and always will. We went like 1-18 or 2-19 in Miami until we beat them in the 85 AFC title game. I always rooted for the Jets over the Dolphins when they played. I dislike the Steelers in many ways more then the Jets. The Jets-Pats thing is based on Rex and too new. Yankees-Red Sox, then Habs-Bruins in the Boston area. I would even take Lakers-Celtics over Jets-Pats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

must admit, i'm really shocked that on BOTH forums, MOST of you refuse to acknowledge the PRESENT reality. i mean if you were writing a tell-all book right now on yanks-sox or jets-pats, no way is the jets-pats book not selling out. talk about a reality series, all the plot for a mini-series. one woud have to hire the best mystery writers to come up with some of the stuff these two teams pull. add in mangini, lack of hugs after games, and when phat rex says after ellis signed with pats that he cant bring himself to wish him well, just not to get injured, you've reached a new low or high depending on one's perspective. 

look at the ratings, how is it even close? the entire country wants to see jets-pats, sox-yanks is clearly not at the same level anymore for you really cant bring up the "they hate each other card" for they dont. its a competive sports rivalry but it clearly doesnt have the multifaceted dynamics that the pats-jets now do. had mariano or jeter left for boston in the off-season, i could grasp some of your points. sox-yanks really was a rivalry in the way the nail is in a rivalry with the hammer until 2004. so it really should count only from 2004. 

the ellis move does just that. pats or jets could be up 50-0 and everyone will still be watching just to see it rammed up on the other team or waiting for the brawl or the insulting bomb from the shotgun. no love lost, no quarter given, no mercy rules, rubbing it in to the max. imagine the sox doing a double steal in a 11-0 game in the 8th inning with no outs, thats the pats-jets.  

so yep, in HISTORY, not even close. sox-yanks rule by 10 miles. in the here and now, not even close....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

The only reason CC and the hordes of national media are downgrading the Sox-Yankees rivavlry is that there hasn't been any super meaninful do-or-die games or playoff series in years.  Of course it is not as lusterous as it was in say, 2004!  But, that will all change if the Sox and Yankees, after this neck-and-neck-season manage to meet up in the post season.  In my eyes the difference between Jets-Pats and Yanks-Sox is this:  Jets-Pats has turned into a heated rivalry, partly due to some good recent competetion between the clubs, and partly because of Rex Ryan's mouth and the chip on the shooulder he has trumped up for his club.  BUT, there is no underlying foundation of the rivalry.  If one of these teams, most likely the Jets, reverts to mediocrity, it will just be a slightly bitter, but boring divisional thang.  The Yankees/Sox on the other hand, has so much history that it will never die.  Sure, it will go through lull years where the clubs are more or less ships in the night as far as the meaningfullness of the rivalry (though to the majority of sox and yankee fans, and obviously to the teams, it remains extremely intense and competitive).  But, the second their a playoff spot, or a pennant on the line, all the history of this rivalry will, in a New york minute, make this rivalry once again the greatest in all of sports.  Rex Ryan will have to keep spouting off for years to come before the Jets/Pats reach that level.  Granted, it is fun stuff now, with the Jets playing the role of pre-04 can't quite get-over-the-top-Sox and the Pats playing the role of uber-empire Yankees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-Babe+:). Show The-Babe+:)'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY! : Yeah but you aren't posting on a Tampa Bay forum.  You seem sort of interested in it.

Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

I find the red flops nation to be an amusing bunch...not because of some supposed rivalry.

duke - UNC....now that's a rivalry!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE PRESENTLY SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

Admittedly I hate the Jets more than the Yankees, but that is just me.   I am a much bigger baseball fan, however I think the Rays have supplanted the Yankees as my team of choice to whiz on.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasBogger. Show TexasBogger's posts

Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE PRESENTLY SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!

How can you compare a couple of years of Rex Ryan to Harry Frazee and forward 90 years!  We shouldn't even be having this dialog.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY! : I find the red flops nation to be an amusing bunch...not because of some supposed rivalry. duke - UNC....now that's a rivalry!
    Posted by The-Babe+:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah right, Babe.  More like a sado masochistic obsession to you. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Number of NY Jets Division Championships....ZERO
    Number of NY Jets Super Bowl Titles..ONE
    Number of NY Jets Super Bowl Appearances...ONE

What Rivalry? The one that Rex Ryan has tried desperately to manufacture?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: SORRY FELLOW SOX FANS, BUT PATS-JETS HAVE PRESENTLY SURPASSED YANKS-SOX AS THE BEST SPORTS RIVALRY!:
    [QUOTE]Number of NY Jets Division Championships....ZERO Number of NY Jets Super Bowl Titles..ONE Number of NY Jets Super Bowl Appearances...ONE What Rivalry? The one that Rex Ryan has tried desperately to manufacture?
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

And the one only a contrarian would buy.