Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs!

Robin Ventura just became the White Sox Manager.

What should Tito do for employement?

Thoughts

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs!

wow...the way i understood it by some on this board is that teams would be falling over backwards to hire our fair manager....i guess maybe discipline and small ball are necessary prerequisites for any mlb managerial position....who wudda thunk it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

The same Robin Ventura who used extremely poor judgement charging the mound with Nolan Ryan out there? To this day I chuckle with the vision of Nolan putting Ventura in a head lock and literally pummeling him...Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I wouldn't worry about Tito.  He'll be just fine. 

Right - small ball is a pre-requisite because so many teams do it.  

The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2011.  I wonder if the Red Sox had played small ball in 2011 would have led to more runs being scored or fewer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs!:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't worry about Tito.  He'll be just fine.  Right - small ball is a pre-requisite because so many teams do it.   The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2011.  I wonder if the Red Sox had played small ball in 2011 would have led to more runs being scored or fewer.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

yea because when your down in the eigth inning the best thing to do is to wait for the walk off homer....how did that work out for us in late innings this year?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The only possible field manager opening could be in K.C. if Ned Yost is let go.      All other teams are set except for Boston.     Not so sure Tito is interested in the NL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

How'd small ball work out for the Rays against the Rangers?  They lost 3 close games in a row.  Because the Rangers were the ones who came up with the big hits.  Small ball is so overrated. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VtRedSoxFan802. Show VtRedSoxFan802's posts

[QUOTE]How'd small ball work out for the Rays against the Rangers?  They lost 3 close games in a row.  Because the Rangers were the ones who came up with the big hits.  Small ball is so overrated. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    A team has to find ways to win, small ball, long ball, it depends on the situation and the adjustment to the situation. When you are constantly stuck in the long ball mode that does not work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs! : A team has to find ways to win, small ball, long ball, it depends on the situation and the adjustment to the situation. When you are constantly stuck in the long ball mode that does not work.
    Posted by VtRedSoxFan802[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree with the situational concept, but the Red Sox offensive philosophy of recent years has been to bunt rarely, and in general its been a very successful offense.  The collapse in September was more a result of the pitching falling apart.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]How'd small ball work out for the Rays against the Rangers?  They lost 3 close games in a row.  Because the Rangers were the ones who came up with the big hits.  Small ball is so overrated. 

are you really asking how small ball worked for TB when they just whipped your team (which by the way had a much better offense in every category) all month long and booted them out of the playoffs?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]hopefully tony LaRusso moves on and tito gets maybe the best job in BB
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

STL is a great place to play ball...nice fans for a nice guy - but i still wouldnt hire him

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]The only possible field manager opening could be in K.C. if Ned Yost is let go.      All other teams are set except for Boston.     Not so sure Tito is interested in the NL.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle[/QUOTE]

He came out of the NL to manage the Sox so doubt he has reservations about going back.  Also I would think that some clubs are re-thinking their managerial presence and will make a decision later on.  Just my thoughts...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs! : are you really asking how small ball worked for TB when they just whipped your team (which by the way had a much better offense in every category) all month long and booted them out of the playoffs?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

TB kicked our butts for sure.  But you can't overlook that they have also crapped out in the playoffs the last 2 years in spite of having a manager who everyone feels is such a good tactician.  He is a good tactician, but winning games usually comes down to pitching and timely hitting, not smallball strategy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldn't worry about Tito.  He'll be just fine.  Right - small ball is a pre-requisite because so many teams do it.   The Red Sox led the league in runs scored in 2011.  I wonder if the Red Sox had played small ball in 2011 would have led to more runs being scored or fewer.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

The most overworked and least understood stat there has been to describe this season !! Maybe we score fewer runs but maybe have more wins by playing according to the situation of a particular game and not for the Total Runs Scored Crown !! I don't remember what award the Sox got for scoring the most runs, can you help me out on that ??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Francona and Theo are going to end up with the Cubs to try to break the curse of the goat.
    And you can forget about Maddon coming to Boston too.This is from ESPNBoston.com:

BOSTON -- Speaking at a team media event Thursday, Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said he is not interested in leaving the Rays.

Maddon was a finalist for the Red Sox job prior to the 2004 season, when Terry Francona was hired.

Maddon is in the final year of his contract with the Rays, and there was speculation that the Red Sox would take a run at him, checking to see if the Rays would give them permission to talk to him.

Said Maddon, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times: "I don't want to go anywhere else."

Maddon also said the Sox have not yet contacted the Rays for permission to speak with Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, who is expected to be a candidate for the position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Yea it's overated, the proof is, there is no small ball event at the All Star games right ?? LOL... Most Teams very rarely start out a game thinking they will win a game playing small ball only, but to be behind by a run in late innings and not play small ball when the situation presents itself, Like Our Sox have done for awhile now, is plain stupid !! I did not watch any of the Rays / Texas games so I have no idea if the situation ever came up, most likely it didn't or the Rays, who have played small ball in the past and are stranger to it, were simply unsuccessful this time around but that don't diminish it's importance. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs! : He came out of the NL to manage the Sox so doubt he has reservations about going back.  Also I would think that some clubs are re-thinking their managerial presence and will make a decision later on.  Just my thoughts...
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

Actually, After Tito was let go (Much nicer then the F-Word) in Philly he spent 3 years on the Ex-Managers scrap heap in the AL, one as a Special Assistant and 2 as bench coach for 3 different teams. I guess his time in Boston, which obviously made him a genius, should revitalize his career !! So he didn't actually come from the AL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs! :  The most overworked and least understood stat there has been to describe this season !! Maybe we score fewer runs but maybe have more wins by playing according to the situation of a particular game and not for the Total Runs Scored Crown !! I don't remember what award the Sox got for scoring the most runs, can you help me out on that ??
    Posted by ALaGatorAL[/QUOTE]

Perfect!!!!  Dismissing the importance of small ball ( or lack of it)  because our offense scored the most runs is like a DR saying the surgery went well even though the patient died.    I'm sure we would all be impressed that we scored the most runs in the AL if we hadn't finished in third place in the standings.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs!:
    [QUOTE]Robin Ventura just became the White Sox Manager. What should Tito do for employement? Thoughts
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

Whoever takes over as the GM of the Cubs is almost certain to fire the ineffective Quade.

If it's Epstein, you have to think Francona is on his list of candidates...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sorry Tito now there is no Managerial Jobs! : are you really asking how small ball worked for TB when they just whipped your team (which by the way had a much better offense in every category) all month long and booted them out of the playoffs?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Tampa didn't beat the Sox with their potent offense.  In the month of September, the Rays hit .236 / .340 / .401 and scored 132 runs.  Those numbers are inflated by playing 7 games against a decimated Sox pitching staff.

The Sox hit .280 / .342 / .462 and scored 146 runs in September, far more productive than the Rays, and that counts playing against a superior Rays staff...