SO's/SO's and more SO's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

SO's/SO's and more SO's

Man its hard to watch these guys play.  Bases loaded 3 and 1 to Middlebrooks and he chases a high pitch clearly out of the strike zone.  Drew follows with another SO.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: SO's/SO's and more SO's

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Try the live game thread......  

What difference does it make if we talk about it in one thread or 10 Burrito?  This team is on track to set a team record in SO's.  The only thing that can change things is a trade for someone/anyone who can offer some kind of positive consistency to our lineup but who wants any of these guys?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

A K is an out. It is better than a pop up on the first pitch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Team is in second place and winning more as of late...  what "type of guys" would you rather have? Hafner, Wells, and Houghes? Not me.

The team is lucky to be in 2nd place and we all know it won't last without a few changes.  I can't remember a team with this many SO already since becomming a Sox fan in 67.  Win or lose tonight this is one of the strangest ball clubs ever assembled in Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

That double play on one pitch probably cost the Sox the game. That was much worse than any K.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wish Papi would have K'd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

That double play on one pitch probably cost the Sox the game. That was much worse than any K.

They are both killers Joe, we have a bunch of guys that can't run the bases who either hit into DP's or SO a lot more than coming through with a timely hit. 

Who on this team has any kind of consistent plate discipline outside of Nava, Shane, Papi and Pede? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

They are both killers Joe, we have a bunch of guys that can't run the bases who either hit into DP's or SO a lot more than coming through with a timely hit. 

Who on this team has any kind of consistent plate discipline outside of Nava, Papi and Pede? 

If the Red Sox lose 50 more times this season, they will win 94 games. 50...It's a marathon, not a sprint.  Players all around baseball are striking out at a much higher rate...You might want to get another hobby...Wanting to blow up a team during the 3rd week of May that most pundits predicted would finish last before the season started, when they had the 5th best record in all of baseball heading into tonight, doesn't seem a little drastic to you?!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Youll get your chance to see it, just wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Man its hard to watch these guys play.  Bases loaded 3 and 1 to Middlebrooks and he chases a high pitch clearly out of the strike zone.  Drew follows with another SO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The strikeouts are frustrating. Especially with RISP.  The possibility of hitting into a DP does not change that.  Put the ball in play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

It looks so easy for opponent pitchers to strike out our guys these days.  WMB swing and miss at his shoulder high slider on full count bases loaded 1 out was just painful to watch.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Yes, many Ks.  Two thoughts to add a little dimension beyond "they lack plate discipline": 1. an approach that has become more popular in recent years is to not work too hard to avoid the K.  As in, better to K putting a good swing on the ball than to make weak contact just to avoid the K.  2. More significantly, EVERYONE is striking out more.  We are in a pitcher's era, whether you like it or not.  Strikeouts are way up across the board.

This is not letting our boys off the hook for Ks in crucial situations.  Just saying that if you take a look around, its not just Red Sox batters who are getting punched out left and right.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Yes, many Ks.  Two thoughts to add a little dimension beyond "they lack plate discipline": 1. an approach that has become more popular in recent years is to not work too hard to avoid the K.  As in, better to K putting a good swing on the ball than to make weak contact just to avoid the K.  2. More significantly, EVERYONE is striking out more.  We are in a pitcher's era, whether you like it or not.  Strikeouts are way up across the board.

This is not letting our boys off the hook for Ks in crucial situations.  Just saying that if you take a look around, its not just Red Sox batters who are getting punched out left and right.

+1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I did an across the board comparison today but accidently deleted it spaceman.  I took Iggy, Lav and Bradley out of the equation.  

I then placed Pede, Papi, Shane, Nava and Carp who I consider to be our best contact hitters so far in one category.  I then totaled/averaged out all their offensive stats across the board including AB, R, BA, RBI, K's, BB, OBP, SLG and OPS. 

In the second category I used ... Salty, Gomes, Ells, Middy, Nap, Ciriaco, Ross and Drew then compared the two categorys of players.   The results were staggering as to how badly this second bunch has been.  Before Salty fans jump all over me.  Salty is doing well at the moment but I did say "best contact hitters" which Salty still lacks, if anything Salty's stats helped the second bunch and the numbers across the board were still awful.

It's clear we only have "maybe" four decent players on this club if you eliminate Carp who really has yet to play much.  Overall we SO way too much, hit into double plays and even though we do get a lot of BB's we still can't get many timely hits. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Try the live game thread......  

What difference does it make if we talk about it in one thread or 10 Burrito?  This team is on track to set a team record in SO's.  The only thing that can change things is a trade for someone/anyone who can offer some kind of positive consistency to our lineup but who wants any of these guys?

Thats just what HILLARY SAID ........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Craze4sox...The Sox have scored the 3rd most runs in baseball behind only Detroit & Colorado so far, with some of their key players struggling.  I wouldn't expect any kind of "shake-up" anytime soon, other than possibly moving Ells down in the order, or getting Brentz a few atbats while Victorino is hurting.  Again, it's a long season, and they have exceeded everyone's expectations so far.  Have some patience....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

A K is an out. It is better than a pop up on the first pitch.

And MUCH better than a DP ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

LOL - I am to late to add on here ... though I started ... shoulda read the thread more.  

Papi probably wished he had whiffed too ... in comparison.

NOTE to our fans, whiffs are WAY UP all around the bigs.  Talking heads are trying to figure the reason out. 

Me?  I think it is in part because people got tired of watching teams like the Sox and Rivals work each at bat and make the game drag.  Folks up and down the line have been whining about the LOOONNGGG games.  I think it's ridiculous.  You can't go to a movie that is scheduled for 96 minutes and find out that you are gonna get a 136 minute movie for the same money.  The outcome is known, someone wins ... the players and script just change from game to game a little.  Some are more dramatic, some mundane.  But we get MORE for the same price of admission.

Then there is the "ckean" game, as well.  The more 50 and 100 game suspensions being handed out, the less PEDs are being used.   Baseball stars are playing within their uninhanced talents ,,,

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

Craze4sox...The Sox have scored the 3rd most runs in baseball behind only Detroit & Colorado so far, with some of their key players struggling.  I wouldn't expect any kind of "shake-up" anytime soon, other than possibly moving Ells down in the order, or getting Brentz a few atbats while Victorino is hurting.  Again, it's a long season, and they have exceeded everyone's expectations so far.  Have some patience....

We still have way too many unreliable bats.  9 more K's tonight in 6 innings so its definately a concern moving forward along with all the double plays we hit into.  Our run production is deceiving, by no means do have have any kind of consistency on offense.  You can have patience and still be concerned.

I do feel fortunate to be where we are but using our record to overlook them won't help them go away or keep us in contention all year.  Gomes is nothing short of horrible as our RHH OF replacement. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

11 Ks? Who cares?

I'll take the 8 BBs and the win.

176 pitches thrown by the CWS!  (133 by us)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

I did an across the board comparison today but accidently deleted it spaceman.  I took Iggy, Lav and Bradley out of the equation.  

I then placed Pede, Papi, Shane, Nava and Carp who I consider to be our best contact hitters so far in one category.  I then totaled/averaged out all their offensive stats across the board including AB, R, BA, RBI, K's, BB, OBP, SLG and OPS. 

In the second category I used ... Salty, Gomes, Ells, Middy, Nap, Ciriaco, Ross and Drew then compared the two categorys of players.   The results were staggering as to how badly this second bunch has been.  Before Salty fans jump all over me.  Salty is doing well at the moment but I did say "best contact hitters" which Salty still lacks, if anything Salty's stats helped the second bunch and the numbers across the board were still awful.

It's clear we only have "maybe" four decent players on this club if you eliminate Carp who really has yet to play much.  Overall we SO way too much, hit into double plays and even though we do get a lot of BB's we still can't get many timely hits. 

I am no fan of strikeouts , but you are completely skewing the numbers to suit your personal opinions. Therefore , your conclusions are not valid. And , based on what we have seen , how do you consider Carp as a "contact " hitter ?