Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

Sour Grapes/There ...

From NESN:
    Despite his 10 wins, Jon Lester will not be making the trip to Arizona to participate in this season's All-Star Game, which the left-hander admits he is disappointed about.

Lester said after the selections were announced on Sunday that he would have liked to have gone, but he's also looking forward to the break.

The lefty also noted that the Yankees usually take care of business when it comes to the All-Star voting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Alwa...

I would like to go to the all star game.  I'm disappointed.  This is what qualifies as sour grapes?  My kids must must have sour grapes every day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Alwa...

JD, I actually named my kids sour grapes

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My kid used to have sour grapes but now she's so old,it's sour raisins

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

In Response to Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year:
    From NESN: Despite his 10 wins, Jon Lester will not be making the trip to Arizona to participate in this season's All-Star Game, which the left-hander admits he is disappointed about. Lester said after the selections were announced on Sunday that he would have liked to have gone, but he's also looking forward to the break. The lefty also noted that the Yankees usually take care of business when it cames to the All-Star voting.
    Posted by FRNYYGL

I thought Lester should have made it, but Sabathia who has 11 wins should have made it also. Guess the Yank$ don't really "take care of business when it comes to All-Star voting".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

To my good friend jimdavis, the key point to my thread is the following quote:" the Yankees usually take care of business when it comes to the All-Star voting." If you watch the video at NESN.com, you will see even NESN's announcer said that Lester made a jab at the pinstripes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year:
    To my good friend jimdavis, the key point to my thread is the following quote:" the Yankees usually take care of business when it comes to the All-Star voting." If you watch the video at NESN.com, you will see even NESN's announcer said that Lester made a jab at the pinstripes.
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Right.  A "jab" at the Yanks is not sour grapes, it is striking the perfect note.  Everyone in the league knows what they do with the All Star game.  Torre would always take the Yankee player over any other if he had the chance.  That other players know it is no surprise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year:
    In Response to Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year : Right.  A "jab" at the Yanks is not sour grapes, it is striking the perfect note.  Everyone in the league knows what they do with the All Star game.  Torre would always take the Yankee player over any other if he had the chance.  That other players know it is no surprise.
    Posted by jimdavis

That's great....but there is no Yankee manager doing the selection this year.

It is sour grapes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Posted by FRNYYGL

So,what's wrong with that?I'm guessing that Lester is referring to this years All Star line up with Jeter and Martin who clearly don't belong there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

To my good friend jimdavis-this is from Wikipedia:

The players for each league's team are selected through the following process:

• Fan voting (8 NL players/9 AL players): Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at Major League Baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet. The designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner. This method has been recently criticized because most of the starting players can come from teams that have large fan bases, such as the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.[6]
    • Player voting (16 players): Eight pitchers (five starters and three relievers) and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players, coaches, and managers.[1] If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected.
    • Manager selection (9 NL players/8 AL players): The manager of each league's All-Star team — in consultation with the other managers in his league and the Commissioner's Office — will fill his team's roster up to 33 players. The NL manager will also select his team's designated hitter.[5] At this point, it is ensured that every team is represented by at least one player.
    • Final vote (1 player): After the list of 33 players for each league is announced, fans vote (on the Internet) for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players that is compiled by the manager of each league's team and the Commissioner's Office.
    • Replacements: After the roster is selected, the All-Star manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or who decline to participate, as well as pitchers who started on the Sunday before the game.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

If you ask me Paplebon is more deserving than Lester and he isn't complaining about the omission

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

To my good friend jimdavis-this is from Wikipedia: The players for each league's team are selected through the following process: Fan voting (8 NL players/9 AL players): Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at Major League Baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet . The designated hitter for the AL team is also selected in this manner. This method has been recently criticized because most of the starting players can come from teams that have large fan bases, such as the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox . [ 6 ] Player voting (16 players): Eight pitchers (five starters and three relievers) and one back-up player for each position are elected by the players, coaches, and managers. [ 1 ] If the top vote-getter at a position has also been selected via fan voting, the second-place finisher in this category is selected. Manager selection (9 NL players/8 AL players): The manager of each league's All-Star team — in consultation with the other managers in his league and the Commissioner's Office — will fill his team's roster up to 33 players. The NL manager will also select his team's designated hitter. [ 5 ] At this point, it is ensured that every team is represented by at least one player. Final vote (1 player): After the list of 33 players for each league is announced, fans vote (on the Internet) for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players that is compiled by the manager of each league's team and the Commissioner's Office. Replacements : After the roster is selected, the All-Star manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or who decline to participate, as well as pitchers who started on the Sunday before the game.
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Thanks for the Wiki post.  your research techniques are simply awesome. That does not change the fact that Joe Torre selected Yanks when other players were more deserving.  If you think that was not the case, you are in dream land.  If Lester mentioned it, I'm sure it has been spoken of between the players through the years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year : That's great....but there is no Yankee manager doing the selection this year. It is sour grapes.
    Posted by ---The-Babe---

No one said a Yankee manager was doing the selecting this particular season.  I don't even really care.  Jeter can start, have at it.  He can start next year for all I care.  OK...Its sour grapes.  Now what?  I guess I don't have worry about Lester liking the Yanks anytime soon.  I like that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

To my good friend, the baseball scholar, Jim Davis. Torre hasn't managed the Yankees since 2007. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

lester's rant/griping doesnt really make sense...and he shouldve kept his mouth shut because his teammate with less wins than him was chosen....just be happy Jon because you are our ace and the single most important player on our team...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

To my good friend, the baseball scholar, Jim Davis. Torre hasn't managed the Yankees since 2007. 
    Posted by FRNYYGL

Thanks for letting me know the obvious.  As I mentioned and you failed to comprehend, the Yanks have a history of taking Yanks when other players are more serving.  When Torre managed does constitute part of history.  I don't remember if Girardi did the same thing.  But this is probably what Lester was taking about.  You seem really mad about the whole thing.  Maybe you could do a Wiki search on anger management.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FRNYYGL. Show FRNYYGL's posts

To my good friend jimdavis, the baseball historian: Jon Lester's first full season with the Sox was Torre's last season with the Yankees. But don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ---The-Babe---. Show ---The-Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year : Thanks for letting me know the obvious.  As I mentioned and you failed to comprehend, the Yanks have a history of taking Yanks when other players are more serving.  When Torre managed does constitute part of history.  I don't remember if Girardi did the same thing.  But this is probably what Lester was taking about.  You seem really mad about the whole thing.  Maybe you could do a Wiki search on anger management.
    Posted by jimdavis

Do you mean like drew and varitek in '08?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

I have no problem with Lester not making it. He has a pretty shaky 10 wins, to be honest, boosted by excellent run support. Beckett is deserving of the selection. Had he had Lester's run support, he'd be the one with 10-11 wins.

A Sox player taking a jab at the Yankees? Ooooh, that is shocking! C'mon...there are jabs 10 times that nasty on this board every hour.

Now...Jeter voted in as starter at SS over Cabrera? THAT is a joke.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Not every member of the Sox or the Yank$ can make the All-Star team each year. No point in whining about it. Maybe Lester will have a shot next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Nobody would have responded to the OP if it didn't include the term "Sour Grapes". Give Frankie a break, he is lonely and craves attention.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sour Grapes/There Is No Crying in Baseball:Jon Lester Disappointed to Not Be Selected to All-Star Team, Says Yankees Always Take Care of All-Star Voting Every Year:
    From NESN: Despite his 10 wins, Jon Lester will not be making the trip to Arizona to participate in this season's All-Star Game, which the left-hander admits he is disappointed about. Lester said after the selections were announced on Sunday that he would have liked to have gone, but he's also looking forward to the break. The lefty also noted that the Yankees usually take care of business when it comes to the All-Star voting.
    Posted by FRNYYGL

I'm not taking Lesters side on this but you do seriously have to question Jeter starting and Martin even having an opportunity whether by his piers or otherwise.  Jon has had a good start but in my opinion still hasn't hit his groove consistently.  A few two many runs and a bit less control so far this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

Dont forget the fact that there are about 10 milion more people in  NYC than in Boston

Sections
Shortcuts