Source close to Lester says he will go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Source close to Lester says he will go

Espn broke this thread. The Sox need to get it done by 31 July or trade him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Re: Source close to Lester says he will go

THank you Larry.  Gotta have a budget.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Lester to NY!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

people will be upset

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I've written earlier that I thought Lester would be gone because of the insulting original offer.

That offer, I my opinion, was the organization's way of saying that 'we're not interested, you're free to go'.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  Heaven knows I've been wrong before.  If so, why hasn't a deal already been done?  Yes, they can say we won't talk until after the season, but don't believe it.

I believe that the current management style is to field a team the most inexpensive way possible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to az55's comment:

He will sign before Aug 1. Lester is going nowhere. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Yanks always have the money, and if the player also wants to rub the Sox face in it, then they have a second reason to choose the Yanks

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I believe that the current management style is to field a team the most inexpensive way possible.

Except that, under the current management, they've had, on average, the second highest payroll in BB.

Y'all have to pay at a little attention to the numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

How about Lester for Scherzer?  Two guys that were "insulted" by millions of dollars being thrown at them can now be insulted by having to move for a couple of months.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

In response to billge's comment:

Yanks always have the money, and if the player also wants to rub the Sox face in it, then they have a second reason to choose the Yanks

Yeah, that Tanaka dude is really rubbing it in to his old team the Spam fighters.  I'll bet they are happy with the posting fee right now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

Their style, I believe,  is to try field a team in a way that they get the most value, or bang for their buck.  That doesn't mean that they aren't willing to spend the money.  In fact, they have spent money every year since they've taken over ownership.

But, just as one example, if they can get 1.3 WAR in JBJ for $500K versus 1.9 WAR in Ellsbury for $22 mil, they are going to go with JBJ, and spend the money saved here in another area.

And when this is not possible, they will pay good money for a FA.  They just do it with shorter term contracts.

There are times when big money contracts are necessary.  I believe re-signing Lester is one of those times.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

If Lester gets to free agency, I have no doubt he will be in pinstripes next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Their style, I believe,  is to try field a team in a way that they get the most value, or bang for their buck.  That doesn't mean that they aren't willing to spend the money.  In fact, they have spent money every year since they've taken over ownership.

But, just as one example, if they can get 1.3 WAR in JBJ for $500K versus 1.9 WAR in Ellsbury for $22 mil, they are going to go with JBJ, and spend the money saved here in another area.

And when this is not possible, they will pay good money for a FA.  They just do it with shorter term contracts.

There are times when big money contracts are necessary.  I believe re-signing Lester is one of those times.

True.   Their solution is short-term contracts.  It's why I have reservations of them signing Lester.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

If Lester gets to free agency, I have no doubt he will be in pinstripes next year.

Well stated on the post above this one and I agree on where Lester would end up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I agree with everything except your final point. I don't think they should throw big money at Lester. I love what he's done for the team, but they should not overpay him and get stuck with a big contract that may not pay off. I think they are not close enough to being playoff ready to justify keeping Lester. I would rather see more rebuilding than sticking with what they've got.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Except that, under the current management, they've had, on average, the second highest payroll in BB.

Yes, but does that take in account duration?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to az55's comment:

He will sign before Aug 1. Lester is going nowhere. 

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

I hope you're right, Pumpsie, I really do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

True.   Their solution is short-term contracts.  It's why I have reservations of them signing Lester.

I am hopeful that Lester will be re-signed.  I truly believe that he is sincere in wanting to stay in Boston, and I think the FO knows how important signing Lester is.   While we have several youngsters who could take a spot in the rotation, it would be far too risky to rely on 3 or more rookies. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I agree with everything except your final point. I don't think they should throw big money at Lester. I love what he's done for the team, but they should not overpay him and get stuck with a big contract that may not pay off. I think they are not close enough to being playoff ready to justify keeping Lester. I would rather see more rebuilding than sticking with what they've got.

I think they are close enough to be playoff ready, and therefore, think it is important to have Lester back.

As far as throwing big money at him, that depends on what you consider big money.  As a whole, I am not a fan of big contracts.  But I would be fine with offering Lester a 5 year contract with options for a 6th and 7th year.  I would not give a guaranteed 6th year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The Yankees have to be the most pathetic spectacle in all of sports. They spent all that money and will end up behind the Red Sox this year. And I'm not even predicting the Sox will have a .500 record. 
    What is really funny is the Red Sox are in their heads to the extent that the team's management no longer thinks logically. They have lost all focus on winning and have become obsessed with the Red Sox. 
    Considering the incredible number of World Championships the team has won, it's sad they have sunk so low. 
    When the Yankees were the Yankees they were like the old Celtics (although even more so). Nothing mattered except a ring. Other teams didn't concern them, the other teams were just the  ground they walked over. 
    There was never any rivalry with the Red Sox. The Red Sox were nothing more than one of their toys. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Maybe with Ellsbury and Lester on the Yank-ems there can actually be a rivalry again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

lets be real, we NEED to sign lester. And we have more then enough money to do it. You have to pay for quality players, and we are by no means a small market team. Look at what happened this year, we signed old players to short term deals and guess what? They got injured and failed to produce, which is why we are 9.5 games back of the division. AJ? useless. Victorino? has spent more time on the DL than actually playing games. Gomes? looking like the johnny gomes of old, a back up who whiffs far too often. Drew? Another guy struggling to hit .200. I will say it again, you have to pay for talent. Lester is far and away our best pitcher and considering the uncertainty behind him in the rotation, we cannot afford to let him go. Think about it, we have buchholz who is talented but struggles to stay healthy and be consistent, we have lackey who is in his mid 30’s and may or may not play next year, peavy is a free agent, workman got hammered last time he was up which led to his demotion, and de la rosa, who has been great so far but how much faith can we afford to put into him for next year. Oh and we can’t forget doubront who just can’t seem to put it all together. On top of all that, lester is a guy who has pitched well in the AL east and wants to stay in boston. PAY HIM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We better get more than a comp pick for our ace...

...or better yet, bring our ace back happy.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

The Yankees have to be the most pathetic spectacle in all of sports. They spent all that money and will end up behind the Red Sox this year. And I'm not even predicting the Sox will have a .500 record. 
    What is really funny is the Red Sox are in their heads to the extent that the team's management no longer thinks logically. They have lost all focus on winning and have become obsessed with the Red Sox. 
    Considering the incredible number of World Championships the team has won, it's sad they have sunk so low. 
    When the Yankees were the Yankees they were like the old Celtics (although even more so). Nothing mattered except a ring. Other teams didn't concern them, the other teams were just the  ground they walked over. 
    There was never any rivalry with the Red Sox. The Red Sox were nothing more than one of their toys. 

LMAO

this guy must  really be worried that lester will be wearing pinstripes next yr

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I can't believe people continue to peddle the "cheap owners" narrative in light of this fact.

Having a limit =/= being miserly

Sections
Shortcuts