Source: Drew leaving Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Source: Drew leaving Red Sox

ESPN reporting that he will get at least a 4-year deal and that Sox not willing to go that far.

Good. We have flexibility and we get a first round/sandwich pick. We will also get one for Ellsbury.

Offer the Marlins the following for Stanto:  Take 4 players from this group:

Renaudo, Barnes, Betts, Vasquez or Swihart, Marrero, Middlebrooks

The only untouchables: Bradley and Cecchini.

I'd take my chances with Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, Stanton, Napoli, Ruiz, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks/Cecchini, Nava.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Source: Drew leaving Red Sox

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ESPN reporting that he will get at least a 4-year deal and that Sox not willing to go that far.

Good. We have flexibility and we get a first round/sandwich pick. We will also get one for Ellsbury.

I'd take my chances with Victorino, Pedroia, Ortiz, Stanton, Napoli, Ruiz, Bogaerts, Middlebrooks/Cecchini, Nava.

[/QUOTE]

Bradley and Cecchini 'untouchable'?????  If you're getting aplayer like stanton in return I'd include them BOTH in the trade and throw in Renaudo....IN A HEARTBEAT.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

U keep Xander and trade JBJR plus 1-2 top flight hit or miss prospects for Stanton? 101%

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

So Drew came in as a 1 year vigilante and played an above average SS.  Even though he didn't hit in the playoffs (then again almost no one did) he was one of the (many) guys who helped get us there.  Now that his time has come to a close he is also going to net us a supplemental first round draft pick.  I remember thinking this to be a likely best case scenario and was one of the reasons why I liked the deal too, it was also here to bridge the gap to either Iglesias or Bogaerts.  I think the Red Sox would know by the end of this year is Iggy or Bogaerts would be the man at short come 2014.  This is why you make signings like Drew, and even Beltre, the upside is so much bigger than the downside. If Drew completely failed and couldn't even stay healthy, he'd be off the books by now anyways.

I hope Drew does well wherever he goes, as long as it's not vs. the Sox. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

U keep Xander and trade JBJR plus 1-2 top flight hit or miss prospects for Stanton? 101%

[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked

2C any stanton deal that didn't include bogarts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked

[/QUOTE]
    Agree, Marlins would be stupid if it didn't start with Bogearts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Report: Stephen Drew won't return to Boston

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston heard from a source that Stephen Drew will not return to the Red Sox.

Red Sox management had interest in bringing Drew back, but the free agent shortstop is seeking a contract that soars well beyond Boston's offseason budget. Drew turned down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer last week, so he'll net a draft pick for the Red Sox when he signs elsewhere this winter. Xander Bogaerts will likely start at shortstop and Will Middlebrooks will presumably man third base for Boston in 2014.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to eltiante1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What a windfall for the Red Sox, a high draft pick for Drew. The guy had a 700's OPS

[/QUOTE]

AND YOUR BOY MIDDLEBROOKS HAD A '600'S OPS'.  OUCH...THAT WAS A NICE CALL, SOFTY.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would be shocked

[/QUOTE]
    Agree, Marlins would be stupid if it didn't start with Bogearts.

[/QUOTE]

so in otherwords ''stanton is not walking thru that ...........''

would be more fun of a hot stove topic if U still had iggy

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

QTY will never take the place of QUALITY when evaluating trades.  Florida will want IMPACT prospects, not just really good prospects who have a great chance of being at least average players but no real high ceiling guys.

After Bogaerts we don't have any really high ceiling guys who aren't very far away such as Ball, and Margot. 

The only way I can see Florida making the trade without Bogaerts is if they are one of the teams that view prospect Henry Owens as a top of the rotation starter.  There are many scouts in baseball who don't think he will ever be more of a #4#5 guy (a good one at that) but if Miami views him as a front man I could see them wanting to center a trade around Owens.  I still think we'd have to include Brentz, Ball, Margot and one of Swihart/Cecchini to get them to the table. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ruiz????  Assuming for the moment that Ruiz is available and signable by the Sox, have you considered the following.

a) In his first 4 seasons Ruiz had ho-hum stats followed by very impressive stats in 2010, 2011, and 2012. 

(see www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ruizca01.shtml)

b) Then he was busted for prohibited drugs (amphetamines) and suspended 25 games. This had to be Ruiz's second positive test for a stimulant. An initial positive for a stimulant does not trigger a suspension, only that the player must undergo follow-up testing.

c)  This suggests that he was using, not only in 2012, but earlier as well.

d)  Following his suspension, and presumably without the use of drugs, his numbers in 2013 plummeted back to his earlier ho-hum level.

Do you still want to 'take my chances' with the inclusion of Ruiz?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Only a fool would empty the farm talent on Stanton. Drew will embarrass the GM who gives him a multi-year deal. What a windfall for the Red Sox, a high draft pick for Drew. The guy had a 700's OPS and was the #1 managment PR spin all season. He was terrible in the playoffs, and the irony of turning the spin to his defense. Lugo was much better in the 2007 post season. 

The draft pick for Drew won't be as good as Iglesias, but at least it mitigates this totally useless one year contract for SS.

What great news!

[/QUOTE]

Even now....you still see no value in the one year 9.5 million dollar deal to Drew.  It was worth it, it turned out to be a good move.....admit it. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

AND YOUR BOY MIDDLEBROOKS HAD A '600'S OPS'.

Middlebrooks has never played a full season in the majors because of injuries in 2012 and 2013. He homers in 1 in every 20AB's, despite the injuries.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.  He has a lot of trouble showing up for work, along with the 600's OPS.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Even now...you still don't see how stupid the 9.5 million deal to Drew was. Iglesias was #2 in rookie of the year voting. Admit it, it wasn't worth it and it was a stupid move. 

[/QUOTE]

No, I'll never lie and say Drew was a bad move.  He was 8th in WAR for MLB SS's, he played fantastic defence in the postseason while Iggy made 2 disastrous errors, and now he gets us a draft pick. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Even now...you still don't see how stupid the 9.5 million deal to Drew was. Iglesias was #2 in rookie of the year voting. Admit it, it wasn't worth it and it was a stupid move. 

[/QUOTE]

No, I'll never lie and say Drew was a bad move.  He was 8th in WAR for MLB SS's, he played fantastic defence in the postseason while Iggy made 2 disastrous errors, and now he gets us a draft pick. 

[/QUOTE]

How stupid does one have to be, to keep coming back, only to be biatch-slapped by you and others.

The guy is sick...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3017/2386689387_320ddfe187.jpg

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

No, you'll never tell the truth and admit Drew was useless ove. "8th in WAR" means about as much as "you can keep your plan". "WAR" means nothing.  

[/QUOTE]

WAR is calculated by guys who know how to crunch numbers.  What numbers do you have on Drew's defence?  Nothing - just your 'personal observations'.  You are lame.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Drew is not leaving.  He is hoping that he can find his best contract at anywhere!!  Nothing wrong with that.  Like someone said it above, Drew only signed a year contract.   Of course now he want his best contract ever so he can be a financial comfortable for the rest of his life.

That is what everyone is doing.  But are there going to be a team that willing to offer him 3 to 4 years contract??   Maybe there is couple or maybe there is none.

Wait and see.  Ben C. can take his time and hope that no one want him, and then Ben C can offer what is best for him!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Obviously there is still no consensus on the Drew vs. Iglesias question.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

No, you'll never tell the truth and admit Drew was useless ove. "8th in WAR" means about as much as "you can keep your plan". "WAR" means nothing. You need to learn how to spell "defense". He was the worst bat for a position player I've ever seen in post season history. The defensive spin was all that was left, in what amounted to a guy with limited lateral range who Red Sox managment was puffing about the routine plays he was making. Iglesias didn't make "2 disastrous errors", he attempted to make plays that Drew doesn't even get to. Drew and his great defense made errors, scored and errors in the post season that the homey scorers called "hits". Yea, right.

I'll take Iglesias in 2013 and beyond. You get the 9.5 million bill and Drew over the next 2 or 3 years before he's kicked out of baseball.  

[/QUOTE]

S. Drew and Iggy will both get WS rings for 2013. 

Drew earned his by stellar defense throughout the playoffs (including the World Series).

Rey Ordonez Iggy earned his by a couple of notorious boots in the ALCS.

Drew hit a HR in the WS bringing smiles to millions in RSN.

Iggy did not have an AB in the WS.

Drew and Ellsbury hugged and high-fived in the middle of Fenway Park diamond celebrating a WS win.

Iggy weeped quietly in his living room.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts