Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job

No sure why this is news...he's been rumored to be interested since July...If he choses to leave so be it...He'd be taking over a franchise with a very large hill to climb...I also don't see him taking a laterel move let alone a backward move...unless his job is in question here in Boston?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I think remaining in Boston with the Lackey/Beckett/Crawford albatross always there to remind him of his big mistakes and their consequences to the team might be swaying him a bit.

That said...the Sox are still only a move or two away from getting back on top...assuming good health for all one of these years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job:
    [QUOTE]I think remaining in Boston with the Lackey/Beckett/Crawford albatross always there to remind him of his big mistakes and their consequences to the team might be swaying him a bit. That said...the Sox are still only a move or two away from getting back on top...assuming good health for all one of these years.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]I think that might be swaying him both ways. Leaving it a mess will always haunt him and this is no ordinary gig for Theo, he is a Brookline native that had his dream job and will have left with the place a perceived wreck.

His predecessor gets a free pass if that new guy really made it worse. And if the RS have a great 2012 it will be the new organization that turned it around.

And if Epstein can't turn the Cubs around in 3-5 years he leaves the game as the guy who blew a $160M budget in Boston and could not do squat in Chicago.

Difficult position plus he has to get Henry and Werner to release him from his contract too. I am sure Luchhino would love to see the last of the protege who turned on him in 2005.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job:
    | On the surface, Theo Epstein is still the guy expected to lead the Red Sox back from the 7-20 September that left them outside looking in at the playoffs. But sources with strong ties to the Red Sox organization indicated Saturday that it's possible Epstein could follow Terry Francona out of the organization. The Cubs ' interest in him as a general manager, as well as Epstein's curiosity about life outside Boston, could force the issue. One person close to Epstein said Saturday that the 37-year-old Boston-area native is "very interested'' in the Cubs ' opening. Chicago Tribune  
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    I SAY GO FOR IT !!   AS DAD WOULD SAY..... "SON, LET'S SEE HOW GOOD OWNERSHIP REALLY IS WITH A NEW MANAGER &  G M  TOO" !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

A miracle! The Cubs would be stupid enough to hire a resident idiot. Send the Cubs a small gift to take problem #1 off the Red Sox hands.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

I would not be surprised if Theo jumped ship and Cherington or another GM took Theo's place. This wouldn't be a totally cleaning house solution but the Red Sox Front Office will definitely look different. I wonder what the Red Sox will recieve in exchange for Theo?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

What am I missing here? Considering how things ended here why would the Cubs want to go forward with a guy who has made horrible personnel decisions since 2007.  Dice-K , Drew, Lugo, Cameron, Lackey, Crawford  and Saltamacchia how do you hide these staggering expenses with the moribund franchise that is left going into 2012.  The Cubs want Theo do be aggressive going forward like he was here.  It makes no sense.  I think we are stuck with Theo not Chicago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Bye Theo - GTFO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

he is a Brookline native that had his dream job and will have left with the place a perceived wreck.

Epstein is a native of New York, New York. Epstein never played high school baseball. Epstein doesn't have a clue about baseball.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]What am I missing here? Considering how things ended here why would the Cubs want to go forward with a guy who has made horrible personnel decisions since 2007.  Dice-K , Drew, Lugo, Cameron, Lackey, Crawford  and Saltamacchia how do you hide these staggering expenses with the moribund franchise that is left going into 2012.  The Cubs want Theo do be aggressive going forward like he was here.  It makes no sense.  I think we are stuck with Theo not Chicago.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I don't get why so many of you keep acting like Crawford is a total failure. He's only been here one year, and didn't do any worse than Granderson did his first year in NY--or at least it was similar. Are you all forgetting how mediocre Mike Lowell was his first year? He didn't live up his first year,but he's here, so give the guy another chance. Ripping him constantly isn't going to help him, us, or the team. Get over it and move on to next year, like I'm sure Crawford will.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

If he goes he must take a  crew. On that bus should be The Bernie Madoff of Baseball, Bill James. Also,Brian O'Halloran, Tom Tippett, Zack Scott,David Finley,Erin Cox, Mike Murov, Shawn O'Rourke and Dr. Thomas Gill.                               I know, I know,.....right now it's just a dream. If I wakeup and find no change in Baseball Ops it'll be a nightmare. I just decided to add Ben Cherington's name to the passenger list, new broom has to sweep clean. Guess who's driving that bus? I'll give you a hint. Some refer to him as the greatest RS manager in the last 8 Yrs. Yup, "T's" going to Chi-Town. Would I lie?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Explain again why do the Cubs want him now?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

syonara       "architect".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Hopefully E is gone to Chicago. Being a non playing New York resident should increase his trade value.

I'm looking for 3 AAA prospects in return, or a front line starter and 2 cant miss prospects.

After all, Theo did bring us 2 World Series.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job : I don't get why so many of you keep acting like Crawford is a total failure. He's only been here one year, and didn't do any worse than Granderson did his first year in NY--or at least it was similar. Are you all forgetting how mediocre Mike Lowell was his first year? He didn't live up his first year,but he's here, so give the guy another chance. Ripping him constantly isn't going to help him, us, or the team. Get over it and move on to next year, like I'm sure Crawford will.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]
    Agree Exam; and I'm not sure Dice was a total waste either, he had one impressive year, and he wasn't paid the $50 mil that is cost just to negotiate with him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Seem to remember Law on these boards telling us Theo Epstein was the problem and the Red Sox would never return to the World Series until we get a new GM.

Francona just took the fall for Theo's negligence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

Hopefully E is gone to Chicago. Being a non playing New York resident should increase his trade value. I'm looking for 3 AAA prospects in return, or a front line starter and 2 cant miss prospects. After all, Theo did bring us 2 World Series.
    Posted by bruinsGENIUS

If this season's debacle doesn't prove Theo Epstein had no role in the Red Sox winning either WS title, I don't know what does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]What am I missing here? Considering how things ended here why would the Cubs want to go forward with a guy who has made horrible personnel decisions since 2007.  Dice-K , Drew, Lugo, Cameron, Lackey, Crawford  and Saltamacchia how do you hide these staggering expenses with the moribund franchise that is left going into 2012.  The Cubs want Theo do be aggressive going forward like he was here.  It makes no sense.  I think we are stuck with Theo not Chicago.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding!

(Law forever)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Time4Theo2Go. Show Time4Theo2Go's posts

[QUOTE]Bye Theo - GTFO.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

You and Law never wavered on the Red Sox falling apart because of Theo Inepstein. No idea how none of this doesn't fall on Theo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job : I don't get why so many of you keep acting like Crawford is a total failure. He's only been here one year, and didn't do any worse than Granderson did his first year in NY--or at least it was similar. Are you all forgetting how mediocre Mike Lowell was his first year? He didn't live up his first year,but he's here, so give the guy another chance. Ripping him constantly isn't going to help him, us, or the team. Get over it and move on to next year, like I'm sure Crawford will.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]Granderson wasn't paid near $142M.

Lowell had an .814 OPS, 20 HR, 80 RBI and played an excellent 3B in the field.

Granderson had a .792 OPS with 24 HR and 67 RBI.

Crawford had a .694 OPS with 11 HR and 56 RBI.

He is going to grab more than his fair share of notice. He is one of the highest paid OFers in the sport and his play was marginal enough he would have been benched if not for his contract.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job : Granderson wasn't paid near $142M. Lowell had an .814 OPS, 20 HR, 80 RBI and played an excellent 3B in the field. Granderson had a .792 OPS with 24 HR and 67 RBI. Crawford had a .694 OPS with 11 HR and 56 RBI. He is going to grab more than his fair share of notice. He is one of the highest paid OFers in the sport and his play was marginal enough he would have been benched if not for his contract.
    Posted by fivekatz
    These data and distinctions should be kept in mind. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Source: Epstein 'very interested' in Cubs job:
    [QUOTE]| On the surface, Theo Epstein is still the guy expected to lead the Red Sox back from the 7-20 September that left them outside looking in at the playoffs. But sources with strong ties to the Red Sox organization indicated Saturday that it's possible Epstein could follow Terry Francona out of the organization. The Cubs ' interest in him as a general manager, as well as Epstein's curiosity about life outside Boston, could force the issue. One person close to Epstein said Saturday that the 37-year-old Boston-area native is "very interested'' in the Cubs ' opening. Chicago Tribune  
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Bring in Beane if Theo chooses to run, instead of addressing his mistakes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I say that he made the mess, and to turn tail and run would be cowardly.  However, if ownership doesn't hold him accountable as they did Francona, that says a lot about ownership. 

He either wildly overpaid for guys who were questionable acquisitions, or he did so at the bidding of ownership.  He either screwed up or was told what to do. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]I think remaining in Boston with the Lackey/Beckett/Crawford albatross always there to remind him of his big mistakes and their consequences to the team might be swaying him a bit. That said...the Sox are still only a move or two away from getting back on top...assuming good health for all one of these years.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]
    We were swept in round one of the playoffs in 09, finished third in the AL East in 10 and 11. How a move or two gets this tip back on top escapes me.