Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker

this is a very serious infraction.  Arod should be suspended for 50 games just like Manny.  MLB cannot have it's players involved in card games, it could ruin baseball and tarnish the reputations of it's players.  If this is allowed to continue you can watch attendance drop in NY for sure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

I think Cano, Rivera, Granderson, and Sabathia need to be suspended too, since they associated with him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Thought it was gonna be for strip poker against Colon.  That would be ban worthy.

*shudder*

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

ARod displays himself for the classless sc#mbag/cheater he always has been and will remain, a leopard cannot chage its spots!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

well, great player....but has always been a real pinhead..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

I wonder if Tiger Woods and Dr. Galea were at that poker table?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker:
    [QUOTE]well, great player....but has always been a real pinhead..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

You got that right Jete.He's a very talented player who's his own worst enemy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Bronx Zoo lives on

Only on a team who's legacy is an owner who is a convicted felon

Surprised?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

A game a poker and he should be crucified. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is a knucklehead, no one can argue that, but if this warrants more than a 2 game suspension, then Selig needs to suspend himself for stupidity.

Cash poker games in clubs or homes are illegal and happen everyday across every walk of life. Thank God my job isn't so strict.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

playing poker might be the worst thing a major league player can do.  He should be banned for 100 games.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]playing poker might be the worst thing a major league player can do.  He should be banned for 100 games.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Don't hold your breath on that one, he'll be playing baseball in October.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Give me a break. Poker?? who doesn't play poker

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]The Bronx Zoo lives on Only on a team who's legacy is an owner who is a convicted felon Surprised?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

ARod's a jerk, that's not a surprise. However, nor am I surprised the obsession this OLD piece of news gets on this board. The team's legacy, despite this and other incidents, (and which all teams have), is the greatest in the history of sports, whether you like it or not.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]A game a poker and he should be crucified. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is a knucklehead, no one can argue that, but if this warrants more than a 2 game suspension, then Selig needs to suspend himself for stupidity. Cash poker games in clubs or homes are illegal and happen everyday across every walk of life. Thank God my job isn't so strict.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Perhaps, I certainly might have this take if it was one of my guys. But I also see where based on what little I know, why MLB might be a little more concerned and see this as more than a few guys getting together with a six pack and some matchsticks for chips.

This sounds like some pretty high stakes action and depending on who is in the room that is where the issue lies. And it appears that MLB has talked to A-Rod about such associations before. I think their issue is consorting with "high roller gamblers" in underground games and the potential for the appearance of those elements having access to a MLB superstar. The fact that whistle blower talks about bowls of coke in the room and a violent confrontation is helpful either.

Now given that MLB allegedly has dealt with Alex on other matters in quiet way and he seems to say the right things and then do what he wants may have them pretty frustrated as far as what to do.

I am not sure that this is all that different than the messes Michael Jordan was getting himself into with his gaming fetish, though I don't see Alex having the option of playing minor league basketball for a couple of seasons.

All and all I agree that Alex is unlikely to see a Paul Hornung type of banishment from the game but they may hit him harder than a day or two to get his attention and dent his wallet. The commissioner has broad authority when using gambling has his umbrella and the MLBPA will not be anxious to fight that fight I think.  OTOH they may just want it to go away and just have troubling leaks in the MLB NY offices too. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : ARod's a jerk, that's not a surprise. However, nor am I surprised the obsession this OLD piece of news gets on this board. The team's legacy, despite this and other incidents, (and which all teams have), is the greatest in the history of sports, whether you like it or not.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]It isn't just the board. It is the lead story on ESPN.com MLB right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in some illegal, underground poker games, one of which reportedly turned violent, and he could face suspension if his participation in the games is confirmed.

"We take this very seriously and have been investigating this matter since the initial allegation," MLB said in a statement. "As part of the investigation, the commissioner's office will interview Mr. Rodriguez."

An MLB executive, speaking to ESPNNewYork.com on condition of anonymity, indicated that Rodriguez could miss games if the investigation proves he was at the poker games.

"We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," he said. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play."

The allegations, first reported by Star Magazine, are that the New York Yankees third baseman played in at least two of the games, one of which took place at the Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive at which "cocaine was openly used" and a fight nearly broke out when one of the players refused to pay after losing "more than a half-million dollars."

According to the story, details of which were reportedly provided by another player at the games, Rodriguez "tried to distance himself from the game," once the violence broke out.

"He just shook his head, not knowing what the hell happened," the whistle-blower revealed. "He didn't want to deal with it at all. He was like, 'OK, whatever. It's your game.' I would estimate A-Rod lost, like, a few thousand dollars that night. After everything that happened, he paid up and left."

In 2005, Rodriguez had been warned about gambling in underground poker clubs by the Yankees and by baseball commissioner Bud Selig, both of whom were concerned that possible involvement with gamblers who might be betting on baseball games could result in a Pete Rose-type lifetime ban from baseball.

Various reports have the games under investigation taking place as far back as 2007.

Although baseball's investigation centers upon Rodriguez's card-playing and he is not thought to have gambled on the outcome of any baseball games, the fact that he may have disregarded Selig's warning is said to have angered the commissioner.

MLB is also concerned that Rodriguez's name will resurface in the ongoing federal investigation of Dr. Anthony Galea, the Toronto physician charged with smuggling human growth hormone and other illegal substances into the United States. Galea has treated numerous professional athletes, including Rodriguez and Tiger Woods.

"It's like there's something new with him every day and it's impossible to keep up with it," a baseball insider said.

Rodriguez, currently rehabbing in Miami after knee surgery on July 11, could not be reached for comment and a call to his representative, Richard Rubenstein, was not immediately returned. Previously, Rubenstein has denied Rodriguez's participation in any illegal poker games.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, "I don't know anything about it," when contacted Wednesday afternoon.

According to the baseball executive, MLB has yet to positively determine that Rodriguez took part in the games, which reportedly included actors Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. The man did not know if baseball's investigators had yet spoken to Rodriguez about the allegations, but he confirmed MLB has at least two investigators working on the case.

"I could see us trying to pursue this a lot further," the executive said. "The truth is still out there somewhere."

Recently, it was revealed that Rodriguez still employs his cousin, Yuri Sucart, after fingering him as the "mule" who transported his performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 after his steroid usage was revealed in a 2009 Sports Illustrated story, despite being told by the Yankees that Sucart would no longer be allowed in the clubhouse and encouraged to keep his distance from him.

"You get the feeling that Alex says what he thinks he needs to say to get by, and then goes out and does what he wants," the MLB executive said.

Wallace Matthews covers the Yankees for ESPNNewYork.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Follow Wallace Matthews on Twitter:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : Perhaps, I certainly might have this take if it was one of my guys. But I also see where based on what little I know, why MLB might be a little more concerned and see this as more than a few guys getting together with a six pack and some matchsticks for chips. This sounds like some pretty high stakes action and depending on who is in the room that is where the issue lies. And it appears that MLB has talked to A-Rod about such associations before. I think their issue is consorting with "high roller gamblers" in underground games and the potential for the appearance of those elements having access to a MLB superstar. The fact that whistle blower talks about bowls of coke in the room and a violent confrontation is helpful either. Now given that MLB allegedly has dealt with Alex on other matters in quiet way and he seems to say the right things and then do what he wants may have them pretty frustrated as far as what to do. I am not sure that this is all that different than the messes Michael Jordan was getting himself into with his gaming fetish, though I don't see Alex having the option of playing minor league basketball for a couple of seasons. All and all I agree that Alex is unlikely to see a Paul Hornung type of banishment from the game but they may hit him harder than a day or two to get his attention and dent his wallet. The commissioner has broad authority when using gambling has his umbrella and the MLBPA will not be anxious to fight that fight I think.  OTOH they may just want it to go away and just have troubling leaks in the MLB NY offices too. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Agreed; and they should do something; because, basically, he does exactly as he wants. It wouldn't stop the MLBPA from getting involved, though. Good reference to the Hornung incident. Once again, this is not a new story.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : It isn't just the board. It is the lead story on ESPN.com MLB right now.

Ok then, I stand corrected. IMO, he needs to be disciplined somehow. There's a reason Jeter can't stand him.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : Agreed; and they should do something; because, basically, he does exactly as he wants. It wouldn't stop the MLBPA from getting involved, though. Good reference to the Hornung incident. Once again, this is not a new story.  
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]You could be right but I don't think the MLBPA is going to fight very hard over a suspension for a participating in a illegal poker game, where cocaine is being served and Alex had been previously warned to curtail his participation in such activities.

Assuming the facts are as presented there are two reasons I think this. Most important they can't win. The commissioner's powers in matters of gambling are broad and fighting it might only expose A-Rod to more embarassing revelations. Second, they have bigger fish to fry with Bud right now in the way of a new CBA.

But more likely MLB has a leak at headquarters. This is a scab they probably don't want to scratch at too hard only to find out 10% of the league are impulsive gamers. But from the leak reappearing it does indicate that MLB hasn't turned the page on it yet and at least somebody in the offices is reall, really pizzed at Alex.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : You could be right but I don't think the MLBPA is going to fight very hard over a suspension for a participating in a illegal poker game, where cocaine is being served and Alex had been previously warned to curtail his participation in such activities. Assuming the facts are as presented there are two reasons I think this. Most important they can't win. The commissioner's powers in matters of gambling are broad and fighting it might only expose A-Rod to more embarassing revelations. Second, they have bigger fish to fry with Bud right now in the way of a new CBA. But more likely MLB has a leak at headquarters. This is a scab they probably don't want to scratch at too hard only to find out 10% of the league are impulsive gamers. But from the leak reappearing it does indicate that MLB hasn't turned the page on it yet and at least somebody in the offices is reall, really pizzed at Alex.

Agree about the 10%, good observation; from that POV, this might be a warning to other players. Since Jordan had a gambling problem (which may have involved his father's demise), and given the bucks these guys have, here's guessing most of this 10% have an addiction as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I totally agree Katz - he put himself in a position that was just plain stupid. I will never argue the lack of common sense that A-Rod has. And if in fact he did lie when questioned about this should be the reason of the suspension, not the game itself. I would also agree that A-Rod walks around with a bullseye on his back and should be beaten for being so stupid. But I will not be one who screams for his head just like I wouldn't if it was an opposing player. I have a certain viewpoint that they should just make the following legal:

Gambling
    Prostitution
    Pot

Do it, especially the last two; tax it and the government wouldn't have to raise the debt ceiling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

In Response to Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker:
    [QUOTE]  From ESPN.com: CHICAGO -- Major League Baseball is taking "very seriously" the allegations that Alex Rodriguez took part in some illegal, underground poker games, one of which reportedly turned violent, and he could face suspension if his participation in the games is confirmed. "We're talking to people involved in the investigation and we're taking this very seriously," said an MLB executive who spoke to ESPNNewYork.com on condition of anonymity. "Because he had been warned about this before, I would say a possible suspension would be very much in play."  The allegations, first published by RadarOnline.com, are that the New York Yankees third baseman played in at least two of the games, one of which took place at the Beverly Hills mansion of a record executive at which "cocaine was openly used and a fight nearly broke out when one of the players refused to pay after losing "more than a half-million dollars." According to the story, details of which were reportedly provided by another player at the games, Rodriguez "tried to distance himself from the game," once the violence broke out. "He just shook his head, not knowing what the hell happened," the whistle-blower revealed. "He didn't want to deal with it at all. He was like, 'OK, whatever. It's your game.' I would estimate A-Rod lost, like, a few thousand dollars that night. After everything that happened, he paid up and left." In 2005, Rodriguez had been warned about gambling in underground poker clubs by the Yankees and by baseball commissioner Bud Selig, both of whom were concerned that possible involvement with gamblers who might be betting on baseball games could result in a Pete Rose-type lifetime ban from baseball. Various reports have the games under investigation taking place as far back as 2007. Although baseball's investigation centers upon Rodriguez's card-playing and he is not thought to have gambled on the outcome of any baseball games, the fact that he may have disregarded Selig's warning is said to have angered the commissioner. "Bud's totally fed up with him," said a baseball insider. "It's like there's something new with him every day and it's impossible to keep up with it."  MLB is also concerned that Rodriguez's name will resurface in the ongoing federal investigation of Dr. Anthony Galea, the Toronto physician charged with smuggling human growth hormone and other illegal substances into the United States. Galea has treated numerous professional athletes, including Rodriguez and Tiger Woods . Rodriguez, currently rehabbing in Miami after knee surgery on July 11, could not be reached for comment and a call to his representative, Richard Rubenstein, was not immediately returned. Previously, Rubenstein has denied Rodriguez's participation in any illegal poker games. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, "I don't know anything about it," when contacted Wednesday afternoon. According to the baseball executive, MLB has yet to positively determine that Rodriguez took part in the games, which reportedly included actors Tobey Maguire, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. The man did not know if baseball's investigators had yet spoken to Rodriguez about the allegations, but he confirmed MLB has at least two investigators working on the case. "I could see us trying to pursue this a lot further," the executive said. "The truth is still out there somewhere." Recently, it was revealed that Rodriguez still employs his cousin, Yuri Sucart, after fingering him as the "mule" who transported his performance-enhancing drugs in 2003 after his steroid usage was revealed in a 2009 Sports Illustrated story, despite being told by the Yankees that Sucart would no longer be allowed in the clubhouse and encouraged to keep his distance from him. "You get the feeling that Alex says what he thinks he needs to say to get by, and then goes out and does what he wants," the MLB executive said.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I don't see where MLB has the right to suspend A-Rod for gambling.  Is there a precedent?  The only precedent I know of when it comes to gambling is betting on baseball.  Playing poker and gambling on baseball is completely different. 

Also, as I said to Moshe Mandel of Yankee Analysts today, "Poker isn't gambling if you know what you're doing..."

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

In a related story, the earth *could* be hit by alien attack in the near future...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Source: MLB could suspend Arod for playing poker : I don't see where MLB has the right to suspend A-Rod for gambling.  Is there a precedent?  The only precedent I know of when it comes to gambling is betting on baseball.  Playing poker and gambling on baseball is completely different.  Also, as I said to Moshe Mandel of Yankee Analysts today, "Poker isn't gambling if you know what you're doing..."
    Posted by redsoxfan791[/QUOTE]

He was reprimanded before on this issue, so I expect something to happen; at minimum, a sterner reprimand and fine. He's really a piece of work.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

suspending Alex could only be good for the Yankees.  They've been doing just fine without him.

Sections
Shortcuts