Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything'

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Re: Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything'

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111222&content_id=26224724&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Right you are Utica, assuming you agreed with the article you posted. But the key to your theory being correct, will be a willingness on the ownership's part to exceed the luxury tax threshold this season. They can't afford to make a trade for anything other than a low salaried player, something few teams are willing to trade. Unless we want junk...and who wants to unload prospects for junk?

In Response to Re: Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything':

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I boldly predict the source is wrong.  Sox need at least one starter and Sox WILL get one before the spring training via trade or signing. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

I boldly predict the source is wrong.  Sox need at least one starter and Sox WILL get one before the spring training via trade or signing. 
    Posted by seannybboi

seems logical.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Let's see
    only 33 of 110 FA pitchers have been signed and 56 of 132 FA positon players have signed.

That is  89 of 242 FA or only 36%
    By position
    P 30%
    C 50%,
    SS 60%
    3b 20%
    OF 40%
    2b 60%
    1B 30%
    DH 30%

The RS and other teams are right come Jan there will be many good players still available at better prices.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

MLBTR says the A's maybe close on Gio and the REd Sox and Marlins are 2 teams that are close. What about Gio for Lavarnway, lars Anderson,Michael Bowden and Reddick

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

MLBTR says the A's maybe close on Gio and the REd Sox and Marlins are 2 teams that are close. What about Gio for Lavarnway, lars Anderson,Michael Bowden and Reddick
    Posted by ArtWikle

Nope. Nationals my friend.  Gio is going to the DC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

I am not as sure as you. I think Bailey and Gio to the Sox and as mlbtr says a mega deal. So Lavarnway, Bowden, Anderson, Reddick and a couple of other minor leagures. Sox might also acquire a minor leagurer

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I am not as sure as you. I think Bailey and Gio to the Sox and as mlbtr says a mega deal. So Lavarnway, Bowden, Anderson, Reddick and a couple of other minor leagures. Sox might also acquire a minor leagurer
    Posted by ArtWikle

Artwikle, man of 62 posts in two years, who said this? Did they say it was part of a mega deal with the Sox, or part of a mega deal?

I'm reading your post to mean that Gio to the Nats is only the beginning of this mega trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything':
    WEEI: According to a team source, the Red Sox are "not close on anything" on either the free agent or trade market in terms of offseason starting pitching acquisitions. The team has taken a patient approach to the offseason, something that appears likely to continue going forward. The Sox are comfortable with the idea that good players can be added in January, often for a cost that is far less than what a team faces in order to sign players eary in the offseason. In the last decade, the Sox have signed such players as David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Adrian Beltre and Alfredo Aceves in either January or February.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

This is truly an incorrect story....  They are close to opening their new ST park....   They are close to opening a new season...... they are close to being tied for last place (need to play a game first)..... they are close to becoming the Big Market equivalent of the San Diego Padres...   They are close to being the first HUGE market team to be out-importanced in an owners eyes by a soccer team and a race car..... and they are close to being irrelevant again!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : This is truly an incorrect story....  They are close to opening their new ST park....   They are close to opening a new season...... they are close to being tied for last place (need to play a game first)..... they are close to becoming the Big Market equivalent of the San Diego Padres...   They are close to being the first HUGE market team to be out-importanced in an owners eyes by a soccer team and a race car..... and they are close to being irrelevant again!
    Posted by FenwayChuck

30 games ago, we were considered the best team in BB.  Go grab a cup of chamomille tea and your snuggly.  Come back on 4/1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

WEEI: According to a team source, the Red Sox are "not close on anything" on either the free agent or trade market in terms of offseason starting pitching acquisitions. The team has taken a patient approach to the offseason, something that appears likely to continue going forward. The Sox are comfortable with the idea that good players can be added in January, often for a cost that is far less than what a team faces in order to sign players eary in the offseason. In the last decade, the Sox have signed such players as David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, Adrian Beltre and Alfredo Aceves in either January or February.
    Posted by 2004Idiots

"patient" = "cheap."

Hello K C Royals of the East. Hey, we even get their retread pitching coach.

PS: 4 lucky signings over a 10 year period is supposed to mean something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : This is truly an incorrect story....  They are close to opening their new ST park....   They are close to opening a new season...... they are close to being tied for last place (need to play a game first)..... they are close to becoming the Big Market equivalent of the San Diego Padres...   They are close to being the first HUGE market team to be out-importanced in an owners eyes by a soccer team and a race car..... and they are close to being irrelevant again!
    Posted by FenwayChuck

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111222&content_id=26224724&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by 2004Idiots

The pitchers left like Saunders, Oswalt and company won't give us much more than Lackey did in my opinion so they won't be worth the money.  We can't afford to trade anymore top prospects for a reliever either, instead they should save them for a young SP.  We balked on 
    giving the A's "four prospects" for Gino but thats the kind of move we need to make at some point. 

Look at Tampa, they have a decent "not great lineup" but still compete because of young SP they primarily recieved through draft picks.  In my opinion this is what we need to do:

Sign Madson, start Aceves and keep Bard in the pen.  Or, start Bard and keep Aceves in the pen. 

Offer any combination of Renaudo, Doubront, Barnes, Reddick, Kalish and other prospects "maybe three or four" for a younger and well established 4th, starter like Felix, Cain, Garza etc. 

Sign Cody Ross for RF support

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In Response to Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : The pitchers left like Saunders, Oswalt and company won't give us much more than Lackey did in my opinion so they won't be worth the money.  We can't afford to trade anymore top prospects for a reliever either, instead they should save them for a young SP.  We balked on  giving the A's "four prospects" for Gino but thats the kind of move we need to make at some point.  Look at Tampa, they have a decent "not great lineup" but still compete because of young SP they primarily recieved through draft picks.  In my opinion this is what we need to do: #1 Sign Madson, start Aceves and keep Bard in the pen.  Or, start Bard and keep Aceves in the pen.  #2 Offer any combination of Renaudo, Doubront, Barnes, Reddick, Kalish and other prospects "maybe three or four" for a younger and well established 4th, starter like Felix, Cain, Garza etc.  #3   Sign Cody Ross for RF support
    Posted by craze4sox

The usual suspects like renaudo,doubrant,reddick,kalish wouldn't get you the mariner's #4 starter nevermind felix.The nation's high minors farm system is closer to the bottom of ML baseball than it is to the top

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Posted by FenwayChuck

The Yankees lost in the first round of the playoffs, desparately need a starting pitcher or two.  And have made no moves as of yet.  Are they close to turning into the big-market Padres as well?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

In Response to Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : "patient" = "cheap." Hello K C Royals of the East. Hey, we even get their retread pitching coach. PS: 4 lucky signings over a 10 year period is supposed to mean something?
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

You are so right, the Sox are just like KC.  Because just like the Royals, they have 9 players on their 25 man roster who were All-Stars in 2010, 2011 or both.  And just like the Royals their payroll is is a paltry $178 million.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

season greetings spaceman   The Yankees lost in the first round of the playoffs, desparately need a starting pitcher or two.  And have made no moves as of yet.  Are they close to turning into the big-market Padres as well? Posted by SpacemanEephus desparately need a starting pitcher or two see'in how it's xmas how bout we  pretend that's just one of those poetic license deals  Are they close to turning into the big-market Padres as well? yup yankee stadium now otherwise known as 
    Posted by pinstripezac

Zac,

I love your home of the underdog picture.  Too funny !  

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FenwayChuck. Show FenwayChuck's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111222&content_id=26224724&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Posted by UticaClub

YES UTICA Patience can be rewarded.....  You could have just said that if it is what you wanted to state.

It can also result in them taking nothing but the leftover garbage off the heap... in which case they are more likely to fail than succeed.  NOW "IF" you believe that this team has everything needed but a couple of fillers, then waiting is the perfect thing to do.   However, if like I believe you think this team has significant needs.... then you should try to get real players to fill them.

RF would be nice to have a quality player there for once a decade..... 
    Everyone says we need a #4 SP.... and technically that is the truth, but Buch is coming back from a bad injury that sidelined him forever, and Bard is questionable in this spot, and well Beckett had a good year last year- so is this anohter so-so year coming up?  IF any of those are failures then where is the staff?   Would you feel better with one more 1-3 starter?  I would!

Patience can work..... and I never said go grab the $100mil contract.....  but I think a GM can outsmart himself by waiting for the freebies.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : YES UTICA Patience can be rewarded.....  You could have just said that if it is what you wanted to state. It can also result in them taking nothing but the leftover garbage off the heap... in which case they are more likely to fail than succeed.  NOW "IF" you believe that this team has everything needed but a couple of fillers, then waiting is the perfect thing to do.   However, if like I believe you think this team has significant needs.... then you should try to get real players to fill them. RF would be nice to have a quality player there for once a decade.....  Everyone says we need a #4 SP.... and technically that is the truth, but Buch is coming back from a bad injury that sidelined him forever, and Bard is questionable in this spot, and well Beckett had a good year last year- so is this anohter so-so year coming up?  IF any of those are failures then where is the staff?   Would you feel better with one more 1-3 starter?  I would! Patience can work..... and I never said go grab the $100mil contract.....  but I think a GM can outsmart himself by waiting for the freebies.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

The only thing you can do is to take a look at the trades and signings and see how well they would've fit us.  I'm not looking at any of the moves and wondering why we didn't do it.  Street is the only move I liked so far, from the acquisition side.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Red Sox 'not close on anything' : YES UTICA Patience can be rewarded.....  You could have just said that if it is what you wanted to state. It can also result in them taking nothing but the leftover garbage off the heap... in which case they are more likely to fail than succeed.  NOW "IF" you believe that this team has everything needed but a couple of fillers, then waiting is the perfect thing to do.   However, if like I believe you think this team has significant needs.... then you should try to get real players to fill them. RF would be nice to have a quality player there for once a decade.....  Everyone says we need a #4 SP.... and technically that is the truth, but Buch is coming back from a bad injury that sidelined him forever, and Bard is questionable in this spot, and well Beckett had a good year last year- so is this anohter so-so year coming up?  IF any of those are failures then where is the staff?   Would you feel better with one more 1-3 starter?  I would! Patience can work..... and I never said go grab the $100mil contract.....  but I think a GM can outsmart himself by waiting for the freebies.
    Posted by FenwayChuck

Kalish might be the answer in RF

Bucholz might come back healthy and be great.

Why predict a bad year for Beckett?

Bard might do well as a starter.

Of course, any fan can overstate potential problems.

Time will tell.

Sections
Shortcuts