Source: Sox consider trade for Matt Kemp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Source: Sox consider trade for Matt Kemp

Just popped up on ESPN Boston:

With the Sox in need of more offensive production in the outfield, the right-handed-hitting Kemp could be the major piece in a trade for Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester, especially with the Dodgers reluctant to part with top outfield prospect Joc Pederson.

"If he's healthy," one top talent evaluator said of Kemp, who turns 30 on Sept. 23, "he would absolutely destroy that ballpark [Fenway Park]."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Source: Sox consider trade for Matt Kemp

I'd rather have Pederson, even at a J.D. Drew like .275/.365/.850 with 16-22 HR's and 28-32 2B's and 80-90 RBI's a season down in the 6-hole after Naps playing above average RF

than

Pay Kemp 22.5 million a year through 2019 to play an above average LF and (if healthy) hit .290/.350/.950 with 26-34 HR's, 34-38 2B's and 105-115 RBI's. 

Unless

A. You can guarantee me Kemp hits those #'s I just mentioned or better in 4 of the next 5 years and in his age 30-34 years puts together like 3 seasons playing 152-154 games and another in the 120-130 range like Manny did here when he was those ages.

B. The Dodgers pay 10 million a year of his salary

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

With the Sox in need of more offensive production in the outfield, the right-handed-hitting Kemp could be the major piece in a trade for Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester, especially with the Dodgers reluctant to part with top outfield prospect Joc Pederson.

"If he's healthy," one top talent evaluator said of Kemp, who turns 30 on Sept. 23, "he would absolutely destroy that ballpark [Fenway Park]."

"If he's healthy"  If he's healthy. enough said.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Red Sox are idiots if they do that deal. $22 million per year for Kemp? Call me nuts but why not use that same $$$ and pay Lester?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

Red Sox are idiots if they do that deal. $22 million per year for Kemp? Call me nuts but why not use that same $$$ and pay Lester?

It just goes to show you how highly the Dodgers regard Pederson.  I say Pederson is involved or no deal unless the Dodgers pay just about all of Kemps remaining contract.  We are not trading Lester to trade his salary with Kemp.  We need to re-sign Lester if possible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

Exactly, why would they take on that money when they are reluctant to give it to Lester.  Who has a better track record of staying healthy, and performance recently as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Ugh, please no...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

That would be Kemp AND Pederson  plus cash.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tripleb2066. Show tripleb2066's posts

I'm actually intrigued by the thought of a healthy Kemp playing for the Sox in Fenway but only if the Dodgers were giving him away for peanuts and paying half his salary. Seems like they could do better for Lester (whom they really should resign).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

The Dodgers would be picking up a ton of salary plus we have no need for Lester at this point beyond what we can get for him in a trade or as a QO next winter. I think we should at least consider it. The Dodgers would be picking up at least half that salary and probably more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Kemp has broken down. BUT leave it to the Sox to trade a Battleship [ Lester] for a rowboat [Kemp]

Pay Lester.... or sell the Team!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Fenway is a good place to hide defensively challenged OF and we can move him to DH if necessary at some point.

Here is a good article on his defensive posture:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-kemps-wish-is-a-pitching-staffs-nightmare/" rel="nofollow">http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/matt-kemps-wish-is-a-pitching-staffs-nightmare/

Although he has hit for a decent average in the past few weeks his power is down. The Dodgers clearly are highly motivated to sell.

This is probably a multiplayer deal to me. Similar to the Beckett / Lowell deal of a few years ago. No one really wants Kemp right now for anywhere near his current salary. But the Dodgers want to cut bait. They may want to so badly that they can acquire Lester and Koji or some such deal for Kemp and some real solid prospects while still be willing to pay for over 1/2 of Kemp's salary. If this Dodger deal happens, I'd be willing to bet it is multiplayer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I've got to believe the Sox are positioning themselves for a move for Stanton and Cishek.

If they move Lester, Miller and Ue for prospects The two guys from the Giants ? Pederson or Seager, 

Xander and either Ranaudo, RDLR or Owens.

That would give you Kemp, JBJ and Stanton for the final two months. If they don't trade Nap, Ortiz and replace Xander at 3 B with WMB. That extends their order and allows you to carry Drew's bat.

Just a thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

It's interesting that the Dodgers could really use a good defensive CF. JBJ? We have to find a place for Mookie somewhere. Mookie definitely looks real as a hitter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

It's interesting that the Dodgers could really use a good defensive CF. JBJ? We have to find a place for Mookie somewhere. Mookie definitely looks real as a hitter.

Mookie could play 3 B and bat leadoff. I see the only way Stanton comes is if Xander goes to Miami. I'd do that deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Of course, if the SOX FO does acquire Kemp, at least Victorino will have company on the DL next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Mookie could play 3 B and bat leadoff. I see the only way Stanton comes is if Xander goes to Miami. I'd do that deal.

I doubt Miami would.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I really like JBJ defensively in CF but also have my doubts as to whether he or Holt will be a better hitter than Betts.  The same goes for Holt ever being a better SS than Marrero.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm not sure Mookie has the arm for the left side of the infield.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Kemp is to the Dodgers now, what Lowell was to the Marlins in 2006

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

I doubt Miami would.

Bogie---Stanton and Xander will be the heavyweights but this will be a blockbuster that may drive BenC into a shell before he parts with what he will have to part with. I think whoever the Sox get from the Dodgers other than Kemp will be included. If we give up Ue and Miller this week whatever we get for them and for Peavy will be on the table in addition to two major stud pitching prospects from AA / AAA. Maybe even Raphael Devers???

This may be a fun week to watch unfold.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

We don't know the details yet guys so I'd be careful making assumptions. If they ate 40% of Kemps contract and threw in a decent prospect, might that appeal to you then? I agree with the concern regarding Kemp's health. But he IS an intriguing player and IF the deal was right it could be a solid trade. Let's see how it goes.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

IFFFFFFFFFFFFFF Kemp gets traded to Boston....they WILL NOT BE PAYING THE FULL CONTRACT!

Please stop with the "why not just give Lester that money...". It's so far from the truth it's making me mad.

If you don't want Kemp...fine. But why is it so hard for Sox fans to deal with reality?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have to think that if Lester goes to LA , he will not be back. They will do whatever it takes to keep him. The addition of Jon would make the Dodgers the favorites to win it all, if they aren't that already. His next start would be Wednesday, so we may know by then.

Stabbed by Foulke.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I wouldn't do Lester for Kemp straight-up if the Dodgers paid his whole salary. He brings negative value right now. If that is the best the Red Sox can get for Lester (which I don't believe), just hold onto him.

Sections
Shortcuts