Source: Valentine hire upsets some players...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Source: Valentine hire upsets some players...

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7299027/source-bobby-valentine-type-not-boston-red-sox-early

Source: Bobby Valentine not favored?

"They're going to have a mess on their hands," the source said when asked what would happen if Valentine, who at that time was just one of several candidates, was hired.  ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney had heard similar rumblings, citing sources Wednesday saying that "some Red Sox players have been upset" that Valentine had emerged as a candidate and have been "grumbling to each other, through texts and phone calls."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Source: Valentine hire upsets some players...

Keep this in mind - if the players quit on Valentine, they still collect their cash.  The only players that can't afford to quit on a manager are the rookies and the players in a contract year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

The entire article is
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?name=olney_buster&id=7297610&_slug_=before-red-sox-move-forward-bobby-valentine-clear-air-mlb&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fblog%3fname%3dolney_buster%26id%3d7297610%26_slug_%3dbefore-red-sox-move-forward-bobby-valentine-clear-air-mlb

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Who care.....this writer will write the same thing if they hire Lemont or Sandy Alomar or etc!!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Let me guess? It's Wakefield and Varitek, not wanting frat bar clubhouse closed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

What one should take from the article are the positive things that Olney said about Valentine.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

We, fans, are not the media. Perhaps media will write about players being upset at Valentine's hiring, however, in this situation I would like to think that we as fans don't stir up such an issue, regardless. The players need to step up and play ball, whether they like Valentine's hiring. Reminds me a little of 2008 when ManRam tried to blackmail the Red Sox into giving him an extension with more money to his desire, rather than simply extending him by exercising the 2 Year Option which the Red Sox had negotiated with ManRan and his previous Agent before Manny replaced that Agent with Scott Boras. That was the last straw which caused him to be traded to the Dodgers in the 3 Way which brought Jason Bay to the Red Sox. Manny had gotten out of control, maybe he was already out of control, but he had certainly contributed significantly to 2 World Series Championships, and maybe his physical attack on the Traveling Secretary over an issue involving extra tickets was the last straw, but the Red Sox were smart enough not to exercise the Option and not to play Manny and Scott Boras' game to renegotiate, maybe the team had some inkling that Manny was on something in violation of ML Rules, certainly something both the Dodgers and the Rays discovered to those teams' dismay.  These situations are like the tail wagging the dog, and suggest we not get into that again with Valentine's hiring.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I'm salivating at the thought of Valentine dealing with some of the spoiled, over-paid snivlers on the team.  If the disgruntled ones don't like it, too bad.  And the nice thing is, I'll bet he'll have LL's backing. 

It's going to be a pleasure to watch a manager with some emotion run the team.  Francona, LaRussa, Torre and others were so stone faced, it made me sick.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

No problem seeing complainer Red Sox players be run out of town by Bobby V. Quite refreshing. Billion dollar payrolls over the last 4 years have a lot of rotten frat club bar Red Sox players who love indolence and party time for millions during non-contract year.

Oh, Bobby, you can't get me, I make more and am a part of the union............

No, but the Mariners and Astros are looking for a few frat boys this winter.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Source: Valentine hire upsets some players...:
    [QUOTE]Yep. If Ortiz was smart he'd realize the best place to be coddled is here.  Valentine won't be as bad as other managers.  That's why Manny wasn't sought after by many clubs. No one wanted to handle it. Very fine line here and as much as Olney is a fanboy dork pretending he knows hat people's texts say, a new manager was needed. Period. The Coddliing Coma days had been dwindling down the last 3 years and then exploded in Sept. The only players I can see complaining would be Ortiz, Beckett and Lackey. Who else would be complaining? The rest are quiet, hard working reserved players. Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Just sayin'...I think maybe the oft injured penguin who played first base and was moved to third might thumb a few texts of complaint. Then again, he would complain if Kelly's roast beef was too well-cooked or if the chowder had too many clams I think. Just sayin'...he walks alot and carries a solid bat when healthy but he's a born big-mouth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]So many run to this forum to be negative. It is worse than flies going to fresh dog sh-it. Why is that? The Olney article was also positive about Valentine. Do we believe in everything that was speculated by Globe columnist Hohler who started this brushfire? Why the propensity to assume the worst? Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Maybe an unprecedented collapse?
    Sorry if I appear to be pessimistic, because in reality I am encouraged. Few franchises always remain at the top. I believe third place finishes may or may not be the worst it gets for the Red Sox. That being said? I believe neither Theo Epstein nor Terry Francona were solely responsible for the collapse. Some familiar smiling faces need to be excised in order for the Sox to rise again.

It remains to be seen if Valentine/Cherington will return the Red Sox to a World Series...but I won't miss some of the twenty-five who finished the season in the dugout in September of 2011.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: Valentine hire upsets some players... : Maybe an unprecedented collapse? Sorry if I appear to be pessimistic, because in reality I am encouraged. Few franchises always remain at the top. I believe third place finishes may or may not be the worst it gets for the Red Sox. That being said? I believe neither Theo Epstein nor Terry Francona were solely responsible for the collapse. Some familiar smiling faces need to be excised in order for the Sox to rise again. It remains to be seen if Valentine/Cherington will return the Red Sox to a World Series...but I won't miss some of the twenty-five who finished the season in the dugout in September of 2011.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Roseburg here...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I find nothing negative about calling out a player for not hustling or failing to perform fundamentals(baserunning, bunting etc.).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Who cares?
    This bunch of overpaid, underperforming fat cats, needs Valentine to kick them in the azz.
    Players will quit on him? Put those people on the bench. See how they like their values to be destroyed by being part timers. Better yet, get the malcontents out of town.
    They aren't going to get their "player's manager"/baby sitter with this hire.
    Sorry pampered millionaires. Disgusting!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

HE'S GOT MY VOTE....  "TRANSFORM" THAT ROSTER !!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: Valentine hire upsets some players... : Just sayin'...I think maybe the oft injured penguin who played first base and was moved to third might thumb a few texts of complaint. Then again, he would complain if Kelly's roast beef was too well-cooked or if the chowder had too many clams I think. Just sayin'...he walks alot and carries a solid bat when healthy but he's a born big-mouth.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I agree. Sure Youk is demonstrative, but he is harder on himself than anyone else. He may be ecstatic theat the RS hired a guy with similar emotion and intensity.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Did'nt upset the stock market today. Gained 500 points, way to go BobbyV

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Whatever players are complaining can blame only themselves for the lackluster September that led to Francona's firing.  They had it made with Francona, I bet all he asked of them was to show a little professionalism in the midst of a historic collapse -- you know, show that baseball was important and that despite their paychecks and egos they should give a crap. 

Not that I really think Valentine is gonna be a disciplinarian, but I'm holding out hope that he can change the laissez faire attitude that seems to have overtaken the clubhouse.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im actually agreeing with Pike on this one...no need to delve into innuendo...players who loaf wont be called out by Valentine first, it will be us, the fans after seeing what happened last September...Valentine is a good hire...a month late but good nonetheless...the most important thing is to turn this organization around....the flabby and whiny need not apply...we want real players on this team - not rbi crybaby's and medical cases...Valentine is sorely needed after the Francona country club years...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

as long as the players dont look like they took the spring off like they did the past two years ill be happy

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Source: Valentine hire upsets some players... : I'm not sure I agree. Sure Youk is demonstrative, but he is harder on himself than anyone else. He may be ecstatic theat the RS hired a guy with similar emotion and intensity.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

good point, pedroia has a similar quality too

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

It worked for Texas with Ron Washington - players responded to his eluding enthusiasm.

Todays MLB manager is half samermatics and half psychologist...