Sources:Josh Hamilton looking for 7/175

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sources:Josh Hamilton looking for 7/175

Good luck with that.

This is from Dallasnews.com:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121103-report-rangers-josh-hamilton-wants-7-years-175-million-in-free-agency.ece

Josh Hamilton is hoping to find a team to pay him $175 million over seven years, a source told Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto this week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Re: Sources:Josh Hamilton looking for 7/175

He'll  probably get it, just hopefully not from the RS

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

As much as I am opposed, I would be surprised if the Sox were not involved.  After all, what team has more money to spend this offseason than Boston?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

NO WAY!!  Let some one else sign him for that.  We could build a vaery good pitching staff for that kind of money!!  Just say,"Thanks but no thanks!" and move on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Josh Hamilton will get his money.  I just hope it is NOT from Boston. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good luck with that.

This is from Dallasnews.com:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-rangers/headlines/20121103-report-rangers-josh-hamilton-wants-7-years-175-million-in-free-agency.ece

Josh Hamilton is hoping to find a team to pay him $175 million over seven years, a source told Baseball Prospectus' John Perrotto this week.

[/QUOTE]

Teixeira, ARod, Wells, A. Jones, Griffey, AGon, Albert Pujols and now Josh?

I agree Josh will get the money, it could also very well be from the Red Sox after the deal we gave AGon and need for a big bat but the return is rarely what one expects.  Tough call, would Josh give us payback, or fade like others?

Say what you want, but Manny being Manny was the best 20mil plus yearly signing/return we ever made and the Sox have faded ever since without his bat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Hamilton must think the Yankees  don't regret A-Rod's contract

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hamilton is clearly the top free agent out there.  I would love to have him on the Sox.  But , even without the obvious risks ,  that is a contract that has to be avoided.  You cannot commit that kind of money for that many years.  Maybe to a Ted Williams , but not to Hamilton , or anyone else out there today.     

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

I'm willing to bet noboy gives him more than 4 years.  I think teams would be willing to offer more per year but fewer years.  He's too much of a gamble, I don't see anybody going more than 5 tops.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he'll get $120/6 or $140/7.

While I'd much rather have Hamilton that Crawford, he's still not even close to worth this long of a term deal.

Josh would get fans to watch the team in 2013, and could, if healthy, almost single-handedly turn us into serious contenders (that and a big starting pitching upgrade), but do we really want an ARod situation on our hands?

NO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If you could get him to sign for only 3 years, would you pay him around 30M per?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Sox are in a unique situation with so much money to spend and nobody worthwhile to spend it on.

I'd offer him (and this will not get him here, so essentially, I am kissing our chance to land him good bye):

$52M/2

$70M/3

$84M/4

(No guaranteed years after 4.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Sox are in a unique situation with so much money to spend and nobody worthwhile to spend it on.

I'd offer him (and this will not get him here, so essentially, I am kissing our chance to land him good bye):

$52M/2

$70M/3

$84M/4

(No guaranteed years after 4.)

[/QUOTE]

I know 3 years wont happen. I just wanted to see which posters would be willing to toss him 30M per for only 3 years...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Brewers...........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

call me crazy...but i would sign him..it's a risk but he would do damage in fenway.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Wow. The only thing he has going for him is he can play the outfield as well as bat. When the Yanks got ARod he couldn't necessarily play third base, and it's still questionable. Crawford had trouble in the field, and Adrian at first base was a bit of a waste since it's used as a drop position for alot of players, Ortiz being one of them. I think he'll get it, but I'm not sure the Sox are going to sign a longterm contract when they seem to be getting rid of them. He would definitely be a draw though if that's what they're looking for.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to cberbes' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm willing to bet noboy gives him more than 4 years.  I think teams would be willing to offer more per year but fewer years.  He's too much of a gamble, I don't see anybody going more than 5 tops.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree on those years.

Hamilton is such as odd case.  When pressed about it, most journalists seems to think he would get "8 years $200mill", these numbers obviously being prior to today's prices.   However, if you asked who he would get it from - crickets.  Everyone can picture the big deal for this guy, but no one seems to know who the players are.

And really, one needs to factor in that Hamilton might be mroe hype than substance.  Over the last 4 months of 2012, he had the same OBP and a lower SLG than Alfonso Soriano.  And he struck out at a higher rate.  Couple that with a player whose MVP was built on home/road splits.   Really, who is Josh Hamilton and why on Earth would anyone capable of getting a GM job gamble on this guy to the tune of 7 years / $175mill?   Does Hamilton think Jim Hendry is still a GM?

Hamilton won't struggle to put food on the table. But how much he gets and where it comes from will make for some intrigue this offseason...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It would be nice if players of his caliber could earn 2-4 million per year... with the lesser types earning 300k. I guess you know where I stand on thsi kind of money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenPartyCelt. Show GreenPartyCelt's posts

Every MLB pundit is saying he will not sign with the Yanks...I think they are in a far more desperate situation after all those empty playoff seats. I think Hal Steingrabber will revert to his dad's old tricks, even in the face of the A-ROD debacle....Something like 5 years and 110 million...If not, the Yanks are looking at mediocrity for another few years...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I agree with all of you that I hope that the Red Sox don't sign him.  He is one of my favorite players, but signing anyone to a long-term contract is risky.  I also wouldn't be surprised if he signed with the Yankees.  I don't think that he will return to Texas. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I may not think that he could get it cuz there are not much teams out there that are willing to sign him due most of them already signed a big fat contract in the past to someone else such as Angels with Pujols/Wilson, Phillies with bunch of guys in the past, Yankees have signed so many of them, Tigers have Miggy/Fielder, Dodgers have so many of them via free agency and trades, etc.

So the chance for Hamilton are not as high it was in the past.  I am sure teams like Boston, Texas, Yankees and maybe one more team are going to monitor him by day to day to see what he will do.  I think he may have to keep dropping his price down by month to month.  

If you ask me which team will get him.  More likely Texas.  I know Texas will not over pay him, but like I said it above, there are not going to be a whole alot of teams going after Hamilton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I don't see him getting 7 years, but then I was wrong on just about every prediction I made last off-season, so who knows?  The question is which teams have the money to give him such a deal, and do they have a need?  Do the Yankees have that kind of cash to spend?  Do the Dodgers?  The Sox do, but I cannot fathom them making such a bad investment.  He does have this on his side--he is clearly the best in an otherwise tepid lot of FA OFers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How about the Orioles or Braves? ($126M/6)

Sections
Shortcuts