Sox acquire Bailey....

About time....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: Sox acquire Bailey....

In Response to Sox acquire Bailey....:
    [QUOTE]About time.... http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Posted by Gracers1225[/QUOTE]

Sorry looks like we posted this at the same time...

So Reddick and what else?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gracers1225. Show Gracers1225's posts

There is no way it is just Reddick to get him....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Looks like Bailey for Reddick in that article.  What a work done by BC.

If Jenks somehow comes back to his old fashion, Sox BP will be very tough to beat.  Even if Bard moves into the rotaion, our BP has Jenks, Melancon, and Bailey all of them with excellent closer experience. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Is this just a rumor or has it been confirmed, don't believe it is in updated Globe or Herald and is also not in the Oakland sports pages yet, in addition if the Bailey for Reddick trade is accurate, would think Red Sox would have to give up at least 1 good prospect, not a ptbnl?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Olney says Ryan Sweeney is coming to RS as well

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

nice.....Bailey's good..congrats guys..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey....:
    [QUOTE]Is this just a rumor or has it been confirmed, don't believe it is in updated Globe or Herald and is also not in the Oakland sports pages yet, in addition if the Bailey for Reddick trade is accurate, would think Red Sox would have to give up at least 1 good prospect, not a ptbnl?
    Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE]

the Boston Globe is reporting it. OF Sweeney acquired also

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]Is this just a rumor or has it been confirmed, don't believe it is in updated Globe or Herald and is also not in the Oakland sports pages yet, in addition if the Bailey for Reddick trade is accurate, would think Red Sox would have to give up at least 1 good prospect, not a ptbnl? Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE] It's confirmed...its just Reddick according to report, but I'm guessing there's a PTBNL...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The Red Sox have acquired Oakland closer Andrew Bailey and OF Ryan Sweeney according to Buster Olney of ESPN.

Josh Reddick will be going to Oakland as part of the deal. The Athletics also receive Class A first baseman Miles Head and Class A RHP Raul Alcantara.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Sweeney is a LH.  Hmm.  Like we don't have enough leftie hitters as it is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]The Red Sox have acquired Oakland closer Andrew Bailey and OF Ryan Sweeney according to Buster Olney of ESPN. Josh Reddick will be going to Oakland as part of the deal. The Athletics also receive Class A first baseman Miles Head and Class A RHP Raul Alcantara. Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE] Nice deal...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]Sweeney is a LH.  Hmm.  Like we don't have enough leftie hitters as it is.
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]

And thats all you have to say about this trade??lol.... Clearly, its not about an OFer  its about BAILEY... jeez

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Sweeney is a LH.  Hmm.  Like we don't have enough leftie hitters as it is.

Sweeney will probably spend most his time in Pawtucket if Kalish is healyth enough. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Sweeney has more on his resume than Kalish.  He would be the presumptive starter if he makes it to spring training.  My guess?  He is one of the players dealt for Garza (along with Ranaudo, Wilson and Iglesias or Bogearts).

Either that, or this frees up the Sox to trade Kalish as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]Sweeney has more on his resume than Kalish.  He would be the presumptive starter if he makes it to spring training.  My guess?  He is one of the players dealt for Garza (along with Ranaudo, Wilson and Iglesias or Bogearts). Either that, or this frees up the Sox to trade Kalish as well.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

good points...that's a good way at looking at this..i agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]Sweeney has more on his resume than Kalish.  He would be the presumptive starter if he makes it to spring training.  My guess?  He is one of the players dealt for Garza (along with Ranaudo, Wilson and Iglesias or Bogearts). Either that, or this frees up the Sox to trade Kalish as well.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Cubs acuired David DeJesus.  I don't think Cubs would take him in a Garza deal.  And even though Sweeney has more on his resume, Kalish is considered to have more potential.  I don't think Ben got him to replace Kalish or Reddick.  IMO, Sweeney will replace Kalish in Pawtucket. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]Sweeney has more on his resume than Kalish.  He would be the presumptive starter if he makes it to spring training.  My guess?  He is one of the players dealt for Garza (along with Ranaudo, Wilson and Iglesias or Bogearts). Either that, or this frees up the Sox to trade Kalish as well. Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE] Sweeney is a very good defensive outfielder, which is what you need in right field at Fenway. Hits well enough where he should be starter. Kalish needs to play...he missed a full season. He's also a backup plan to take over center if Ells leaves. Neither of these guys will be moved and I'd be shocked if they acquire Garza now...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOFFBURGER. Show HOFFBURGER's posts

nice move BC...sweeney more than likely takes reddicks place in the RF mix with kalish headed back to pawtucket for the time being to get healthier and for a bit more seasoning, unless he shows up this spring and makes a real strong case for himself. kinda surprised lars wasnt involved, he was rumored part of the original deal. like the way the bullpen is taking shape. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

summer I'll take Sweeney--a good Irish lad with some major league experience has played all 3 outfield positions---the Main Event Bailey for Reddick gives both teams what they need--a closer for the Sox and a power bat for the A's. Beane doesn't make many mistakes. I was thinking Reddick and Melancon and a prospect. Glad I was off on the prediction.

Let's see what the price is for Garza since we got an AL experienced closer without having to invest many top prospects.

Good job BenC.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Ryan Sweeney has a decent OBA the last few years in the .340-.360 range. I have no idea about his defense. I'm not too thrilled about his nonexistent power (1 HR per year) and lefthandedness. I suppose he's an upgrade on Darnell McDonald as a utility outfielder. I'd still rather see the other Ryan, Mr. Kalish, receive the bulk of at-bats in RF this year. Give Juan Carlos Linares a chance to earn a spot too.

I'm excited to see the Red Sox giving opportunities to lesser-known, cost-effective players. The team doesn't need All-Stars at every position, and this is an excellent return on Josh Reddick. I see no reason why Andrew Bailey can't be a great closer for this team or why Sweeney can't at least be a productive fourth outfielder. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey puts up better numbers than Papelbon.

Bullpen:

Closer - Bailey
    8th inning - Melancon
    7th inning - Jenks, Albers from the right; Morales from the left

That still leaves 1-2 spots, probably two spots to choose from among Bowden, Doubront, Atchison, and whoever else.

Rotation:

Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves

Not bad, although still a little thin on depth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Good trade, hate to see Reddick go but you need to sacrifice to get someone good and needed. Wish the best for Reddick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]Ryan Sweeney has a decent OBA the last few years in the .340-.360 range. I have no idea about his defense. I'm not too thrilled about his nonexistent power (1 HR per year) and lefthandedness. I suppose he's an upgrade on Darnell McDonald as a utility outfielder. I'd still rather see the other Ryan, Mr. Kalish, receive the bulk of at-bats in RF this year. Give Juan Carlos Linares a chance to earn a spot too. I'm excited to see the Red Sox giving opportunities to lesser-known, cost-effective players. The team doesn't need All-Stars at every position, and this is an excellent return on Josh Reddick. I see no reason why Andrew Bailey can't be a great closer for this team or why Sweeney can't at least be a productive fourth outfielder. I wouldn't be surprised if Bailey puts up better numbers than Papelbon. Bullpen : Closer - Bailey 8th inning - Melancon 7th inning - Jenks, Albers from the right; Morales from the left That still leaves 1-2 spots, probably two spots to choose from among Bowden, Doubront, Atchison, and whoever else. Rotation : Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves Not bad, although still a little thin on depth.
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

now we can sign a starter for a little more money..now that we don't have to spend on a closer...i think we sign a starter soon...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Sweeney has a pretty good arm, and can play all the OF positions.  He is a great 4th OFer, if you have three excellent starters in place.  But right now, Sweeney is the best RFer the Sox have.  If they keep him, it won't be to send him to Pawtucket, IMO.  The fact that he is left-handed leads me to think he is trade fodder, and the Garza market is hot right now, so this may be a precursor to a deal with the Cubbies.  I wouldn't even put it past Ben C to put Melancon in a deal if it meant snatching Garza away from Toronto and NYY.

You've got to like this trade.  Ben got a young closer and a solid RFer just reaching his prime years for a maybe future star and two A level prospects who are 2-3 years away from the majors at best.  Good work!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Love this trade!
    Got a good young closer, and gave up Hillbilly Josh and a couple of prospects, one a 1st baseman, who would never see the light of day with Gonzalez at 1st.
    I wish Sweeney were right handed. Could be he or Kalsih go in a trade for a starter.

Sections
Shortcuts