Sox acquire Bailey....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Sox acquire Bailey....

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey....:
    In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : now we can sign a starter for a little more money..now that we don't have to spend on a closer...i think we sign a starter soon...
    Posted by raider3524

That is a good point.  Any money that would have gone to Madson or Cordero can now go towards Kuroda, or Oswalt, or on two reclamation projects, such as Harden and Webb or something like that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Seems like a steal to me.  Get me 1 starter now, like garza, oswalt, or kuroda, and a Cody ross type, and we are done.  Let aceves and bard fight it out for the 5th spot, the other solidifies a solid pen.  Bailey, melancon, bard, jenks, albers, morales, and dubront.  Then you have Bowden, tarazwa in the minors, and dice back by the break.  Maybe pick up a reclaimation project or two for the minors again.  I think I want Garza or oswalt, with garza my favorite. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go for Oswalt, Harden, or similar vet starter, and leave Bard in the Pen

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sox acquire Bailey....:
    About time.... http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
    Posted by Gracers1225

Its a good trade because we not only got Bailey but also an OF to replace the loss of Reddick so its like we never traded him.  Our pen now looks pretty good but I still hope we get Garza, along with a RH bat.  We don't need both Aceves and Bard in the starting rotation if we get Garza.  This would give us one of the best pens in the AL.

Garza, Bailey, Melencon, Sweeney or Kalish and Dejeses would be a masterful off season for our new GM if we can complete all deals and still keep Youk.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : That is a good point.  Any money that would have gone to Madson or Cordero can now go towards Kuroda, or Oswalt, or on two reclamation projects, such as Harden and Webb or something like that.
    Posted by parhunter1

However, the trade edges the Red Sox closer to the luxury tax threshold with projected 2012 salaries* of $3.5 million for Andrew Bailey and $1.6 million for Ryan Sweeney.

I like the trade for the Red Sox, but I would note that the Sox gave up five years of Reddick and six years each of Miles Head and Raul Alcantara for three years of Andrew Bailey and two years of Ryan Sweeney.

* as projected at MLB Trade Rumors: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/projected-arbitration-salaries.html

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....":
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox go for Oswalt, Harden, or similar vet starter, and leave Bard in the Pen Posted by croc
    You be the the one to tell Bard he is going back to the set up role...see how he reacts...not happening...he's earned a shot at rotation. So has Aceves, which is why I don't think they'll add a starter for big dollars...the luxury tax being the main reason...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : David DeJesus hits (and throws) lefthanded. Posted by hill55
    And, he landed with the Cubs about a month ago...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": And, he landed with the Cubs about a month ago...
    Posted by jasko2248

I believe that's why craze4sox mentioned David DeJesus in a potential trade involving Matt Garza (although DeJesus, a recently signed free agent, can't be traded without his permission until mid-June).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : David DeJesus hits (and throws) lefthanded.
    Posted by hill55

I realized that and reposted as you were but thanks hill.  We still need a RH bat, not sure where but we have too many lefties in the OF.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I still find it curious that the Red Sox would trade for a lefthand-hitting outfielder who will bring the club $1 million or so closer to the luxury tax threshold. Perhaps the Sox plan to flip Sweeney in another trade.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": And, he landed with the Cubs about a month ago...
    Posted by jasko2248

hill was correct jasko, I knew Dejeses was a Cub, just forgot he was another lefty.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Bailey is a far and away better option than the older closers available in free agency.  He will be 27 next year and is under team control for 3 seasons.  The rest of this deal is not very relevant.  Sweeney may be used as a chip in another deal for starting pitching. If not he is a more than servicable 4th outfielder.  I liked Reddick but the sox got the better of this deal IMHO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

From prospect analyst John Sickels at Minor League Ball on December 13:

21) Miles Head, 1B, Grade C+: Ineffective in the New York-Penn League in '10, but something clicked last year, hit for power and average in Low-A. Power carried forward to High-A but he's got contact issues to work out, and right-handed hitting first baseman have an uphill battle. Could rank much higher next year.

23) Raul Alcantara, RHP, Grade C+: Live arm with good results in rookie ball, still refining his secondary pitches. High ceiling.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/12/13/2633672/boston-red-sox-top-20-prospects-for-2012

... and from SoxProspects:

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/head-miles.htm

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/alcantara-raul.htm

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Very nice trade, I like the way our bullpen is shaping up. Reddick for Sweeney is somewhat of a wash, just not sure re: the prospects, but we had to get a proven closer and strengthen the backend of our bullpen. Now a solid starter and a RH RFer and we'll be set to compete. Bailey is from Conn. and very excited to be coming to the Bay Area.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

I still find it curious that the Red Sox would trade for a lefthand-hitting outfielder who will bring the club $1 million or so closer to the luxury tax threshold. Perhaps the Sox plan to flip Sweeney in another trade. Posted by hill55
    Reddick was slated to be the rightfielder, at least against lefties, so Sweeney essentially replaces him. He was once very highly touted in the Whitesox system, but didn't develop the pop they projected for a big guy. He makes a lot of contact and hits for a high enough average to play against righties, especially with his defense. I don't think they'll flip him and they'll bring in right handed 4th outfielder for low $...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GosoxJ. Show GosoxJ's posts

Decent trade for Boston. I think Reddick will be a more valuable player over the next few seasons than Bailey, but Bailey fills an important hole for Boston.

Also of note, I don't see how this trade opens up the potential for Boston to sign a starter, if anything it makes it more unlikely. Unless I am mistaken, they took on salary in this deal, several million dollars worth. That several million is going to push them that much closer to the luxury tax threshold and serve to limit their spending even further. The assumption seems to be that a certain amount of money had been earmarked for a closer and that those funds could now be reallocated elsewhere, but I don't believe that is the case.

Personally, I'd be quite surprised if the Red Sox went and traded for Garza after this, but if the team wants to go for 2012 that much, they can probably include Bard in that deal, since Garza would presumably be occupying his spot in the rotation and find middle relievers and rotation depth on the open market is a LOT easier and cheaper than finding a starter of Garza's caliber.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

However, the trade edges the Red Sox closer to the luxury tax threshold with projected 2012 salaries* of $3.5 million for Andrew Bailey and $1.6 million for Ryan Sweeney.

I like the trade for the Red Sox, but I would note that the Sox gave up five years of Reddick and six years each of Miles Head and Raul Alcantara for three years of Andrew Bailey and two years of Ryan Sweeney....

I still find it curious that the Red Sox would trade for a lefthand-hitting outfielder who will bring the club $1 million or so closer to the luxury tax threshold. Perhaps the Sox plan to flip Sweeney in another trade.

I know it's hard to think of Sweeney as a "salary dump" at that cost, but I think that's why the A's traded him as part of the deal. I was surprised they didn't get more, but I guess they view 5 years of Reddick as worthwhile. They may also value Head and Alcantara higher than some of us do. 

I do think we may flip Sweeney, but his glove in RF would be nice. His .594 OPS vs LHPs is scary as H3LL, and .754 vs RHPs is nothing to write home about as well. He has had a consistent OBP of between .342 and .350 for 4 straight years. That's not bad for someone that cheap, and may end up being better than Kalish will give us in 2012.

I love this trade. I thought we'd have to give up Middlebrooks or Lava to get Bailey. I hope Head doesn't become the next Bagwell, but we are all set at 1B for many years to come anyways (Yeah, that's what we saidf about bagwell at 3B.)

The salary numbers are close now. The arb rulings or pre-arb signings will put us close to the tax limit, but I think we'll stay below. If we deal Sweeney for a min. wage guy, we should be fine. I'd still like to sign another pitcher or maybe a couple minor league guys in hopes we get some depth, but I fear this might be it folks, expect for a few minor tweeks.

Remember, we now have 8 sure pitchers out of 12 needed:
    Beck, Lest, Buch, Bard, Aceves, Bailey, Melan, & Jenks...
    But we have seven pitchers (5 out of options) and only 4 slots to fill with ...
    Morales  (none)
    Doubront (none)
    Tazawa (2 options left)
    Miller (Non-guaranteed contract)
    Albers (none)
    Atchison (none)
    Bowden (none)

Perhaps we could see a 2 or 3 for 1 deal to get a better pen arm or maybe Sweeney, Albers, Atchison, and Bowden for a better RP and RH'ed RF'er.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Josh Reddick, who posted a .248/.290/.416/.706 line* in 403 MLB plate appearances in a loaded Red Sox lineup, may be in for a rude awakening facing American League West pitchers in pitcher-friendly AL West venues with less protection in the Oakland lineup.

* Reddick, who turns 25 in February, posted a .278/.332/.500/.832 line in 2,003 minor league plate appearances

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

Seems like acquiring Andrew Bailey is like acquiring 3 pitchers, a Closer and 2 starters Alfredo Aceves and Daniel Bard.  Also, only current ML traded by the Red Sox being Josh Reddick may signify that the FO and team doctors have cleared Ryan Kalish for all activity at ST, if that is the case the Red Sox could have 4 Lefty Lefty outfielders with Crawford, Ellsbury, Kalish and Sweeney and besides that 3 Ryans on the ML team, Lavarnway, Kalish and Sweeney, although I expect Ryan Sweeney to either spend time at PawSox or be flipped for more pitching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Seems like acquiring Andrew Bailey is like acquiring 3 pitchers, a Closer and 2 starters Alfredo Aceves and Daniel Bard.  Also, only current ML traded by the Red Sox being Josh Reddick may signify that the FO and team doctors have cleared Ryan Kalish for all activity at ST, if that is the case the Red Sox could have 5 Lefty Lefty outfielders with Crawford, Ellsbury, Kalish and Sweeney and besides that 3 Ryans on the ML team, Lavarnway, Kalish and Sweeney, although I expect Ryan Sweeney to either spend time at PawSox or be flipped for more pitching.
    Posted by rgmfick

and when we get Garza we can dump Beckett, save money, get some younger prospects...and be in much better shape than last year

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Love this trade.

If Bailey stays healthy, it doesn't really matter what the kids traded turn into in 4-6 years.

Melancon/Bailey make it feasible to now mention Bard/Aceves as potential starters. I'd like to see 1 remain in the 'pen, but wouldn't mind seeing them battle it out for a starters spot.

Personally, I give Bard the shot to start. Aceves is what he is at this point, he's not turning into a #2/3 at any point, but Bard might. Also, if Bard fails as a starter, there's your answer, and you've got another quality 'pen arm.

Aceves stays as the 7/8th or long relief guy, and hopefully does it as well as last year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

From Peter Abraham:

There are health issues. Bailey had Tommy John elbow surgery in 2005 while at Wagner College. He also an elbow procedure in September of 2010 and opened the 2011 season on the disabled list with a forearm strain. He did not return until May 29.

“We had a chance to look into Bailey’s medical history and get to know a lot more about what he’s gone through,” Cherington said. “We’re very confident that he will come into camp ready to go.”

That doesn't scare me so much to be honest. Forearm strain compensating for a reworked elbow seems likely, and easily correctable. So 2 seperate issues have made him miss time in 2 seperate seasons. I'll take that risk on a younger guy. I have NO FAITH in the Sox medical staff though, so that's something to consider.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

nice.....Bailey's good..congrats guys..
    Posted by jete02fan

Hey Jete!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah this is really cool!!!!!!!!!  He sometimes works out at the local Gym my son is General manager at here in Cheshire CT in the off season ......... My son knows him very well!!!!!!   Man what an upgrade!!!!!!!!!!!! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Just for fun ... the Single A minor league lines for two 6-foot righthand-hitting Red Sox corner infield prospects who ultimately converted from thirdbase to firstbase:

Player A 1989 age 21 240 PA, .310/.384/.419/.803
    Player B 2011 age 20 298 PA, .338/.409/.612/1.022

Player A is Jeff Bagwell at Winter Haven of the Florida State League and Player B is Miles Head at Greenville of the South Atlantic League.

Each was traded for a reliever, although Bagwell's deal was one-for-one for Larry Anderson.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

Health is the concern but isn't health always the concern.  This is a good move for the sox.  Needed arm to fix a hole, a glaring hole.  Starting pitching was certainly a concern and BC has freed up pitching and has definately made for an interesting spring training with the pitching staff.  I dont think he is done.....time will tell. 

Sections
Shortcuts