Sox acquire Bailey....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Sox acquire Bailey....

Nice trade eventhough Ben never need to touch his own top ten prospects for the Red Sox organization.

Now all Ben C need a good starting pitcher.  To fill RF, that is the last resort cuz Boston is already close to the luxury tax limit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey....:
    [QUOTE]Nice trade eventhough Ben never need to touch his own top ten prospects for the Red Sox organization. Now all Ben C need a good starting pitcher.  To fill RF, that is the last resort cuz Boston is already close to the luxury tax limit.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Unless we trade away salary, I'm not sure if there's any money leftover to sign anyone else and stay under the tax limit....maybe a million or two, but that's it.

If we are at the level now, so ...

We could trade Sweeney (Will probably make over $1.4M via arb).
    We could cut A. Miller ($1.04M unguaranteed).
    We could trade Iggy ($2.1M and probably won't play here much in '12)
    We could trade equal salaries and get pitching for offense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

We've got plenty of offense, we needed bull pen strength and we got it. Love it. 

Reddick will turn out like a David Murphy, good player.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I know it's hard to think of Sweeney as a "salary dump" at that cost, but I think that's why the A's traded him as part of the deal.

Mr Moon I agree.  A's wanted to save the $1.4 so the Sox had to take him.

Both Reddick and Kalish have bigger upsides and are cheaper than Sweeney.  It was logical to let one go before ST, because ST battles are mostly  a myth (small sample size and mixed competition).

Of course, you trade from surplus, which is why Ellsbury is very unlikely to be moved despite multiple threads.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Well, yes, it looks good to have Bailey aboard, pitching being the priority. But unless Sweeney is moved in a trade, he's a downgrade from Reddick in power. Maybe he and Kalish vie for the RF spot, but what happens to the one who loses?
    The Sox go with four left-handed outfielders? ( Start running around Punto and Aviles? ) Maybe Cherrington massages the budget and Ross becomes affordable. Or....
    Don't misunderstand. I like the move on its surface. But new problems always arise when a regular is traded and there is no certain heir apparent.
    If Reddick becomes more disciplined, Oakland will also have a made a pretty good deal. I know about the foul territory and expanse and all that. But it isn't as though the A's haven't had some dangerous hitters. Reddick could become one of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

We have had a pretty good idea Josh Reddick would be traded since the season ended.  Josh in a few years, if he does well in Oakland will likely be signed by another team when he reaches Free Agency.  Someone made the comment that Josh is like David Murphy.  Of course David Murphy has done well in Texas, getting a lot of playing time with injuries to Hamilton and Cruz.  Whether Josh proves to be as valuable remains, but hope he does well.  I still think Ryan Kalish has a bigger upside and will get the first chance to play in RF and could still be the eventual CF if the Sox don't re-sign Jacoby Ellsbury.  I still think in Spring Training Ryan Lavarnway will get a chance to play LF with Carl Carter possibly being moved to RF in a lot of parks, and of course, there are parks where it will be to the Red Sox advantage to start 3 lefthanded hitting outfielders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]Well, yes, it looks good to have Bailey aboard, pitching being the priority. But unless Sweeney is moved in a trade, he's a downgrade from Reddick in power. Maybe he and Kalish vie for the RF spot, but what happens to the one who loses? The Sox go with four left-handed outfielders? ( Start running around Punto and Aviles? ) Maybe Cherrington massages the budget and Ross becomes affordable. Or.... Don't misunderstand. I like the move on its surface. But new problems always arise when a regular is traded and there is no certain heir apparent. If Reddick becomes more disciplined, Oakland will also have a made a pretty good deal. I know about the foul territory and expanse and all that. But it isn't as though the A's haven't had some dangerous hitters. Reddick could become one of them. Posted by expitch[/QUOTE] Kalish will play everyday somewhere, likely Pawtucket. He missed an entire season, so he won't be 4th outfielder. Sweeney is an excellent defender, which is more important than "power" in that lineup. He can also give Ells a day off in center. They have tried to acquire him before. He makes solid contact and at 6'4" - 225, maybe Mags can help him gain some pop. Linares will be in mix and they have Aviles playing outfield in winterball. They could still add right-hand depth before the season starts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This trade could well benefit each team (as a good trade should).

I suspect the Athletics are more interested in Miles Head and Raul Alcantara -- two young lower-level prospects with high ceilings -- than Josh Reddick because the A's are building for the hoped-for move to a new stadium in about three years.

I give Ben Cherington high marks for the Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey trades, in part because I am averse to expensive long-term contracts to free agents. Now I want to see how Cherington acquires a potential starting pitcher or two without exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]We have had a pretty good idea Josh Reddick would be traded since the season ended.  Josh in a few years, if he does well in Oakland will likely be signed by another team when he reaches Free Agency.  Someone made the comment that Josh is like David Murphy.  Of course David Murphy has done well in Texas, getting a lot of playing time with injuries to Hamilton and Cruz.  Whether Josh proves to be as valuable remains, but hope he does well.  I still think Ryan Kalish has a bigger upside and will get the first chance to play in RF and could still be the eventual CF if the Sox don't re-sign Jacoby Ellsbury.  I still think in Spring Training Ryan Lavarnway will get a chance to play LF with Carl Carter possibly being moved to RF in a lot of parks, and of course, there are parks where it will be to the Red Sox advantage to start 3 lefthanded hitting outfielders. Posted by rgmfick[/QUOTE] Crawford doesn't have the arm to play right. Outfield defense is very important and Lavarnway needs to play every day, again, likely as a catcher in Pawtucket. Lavarnway doesn't have speed to play right and Crawford, like it or not, is likely entrenched in left for at least the next few years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]This trade could well benefit each team (as a good trade should). I suspect the Athletics are more interested in Miles Head and Raul Alcantara -- two lower-level prospects with high ceilings -- than Josh Reddick because the A's are building for the hoped-for move to a new stadium in about three years. I give Ben Cherington high marks for the Mark Melancon and Andrew Bailey trades, in part because I am averse to expensive long-term contracts to free agents. Now I want to see how Cherington acquires a potential starting pitcher or two without exceeding the luxury tax threshold. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE] Also like that the guys he acquired are all "character" guys, which Ben said he puts more emphasis on. Some guys just can't handle it here and the computer the Sox use, "Carmine," doesn't factor in that stuff....Alcantara is supposedly the guy Beans insisted on. Young, but supposedly has tremendous arm...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": Kalish will play everyday somewhere, likely Pawtucket. He missed an entire season, so he won't be 4th outfielder. Sweeney is an excellent defender, which is more important than "power" in that lineup. He can also give Ells a day off in center. They have tried to acquire him before. He makes solid contact and at 6'4" - 225, maybe Mags can help him gain some pop. Linares will be in mix and they have Aviles playing outfield in winterball. They could still add right-hand depth before the season starts.
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

For all the talk about 4 lefty OFs, I think Kalsih is a lock to start in Pawtuckett.  He missed a year, and until he starts hitting again, he might not be much of an upgrade over Sweeney,  so no reason to start his clock.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Had to get Bailey - he fills a big need.

Still hate to see reddick go.  Think he still has much more upside that we haven't seen yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]I know it's hard to think of Sweeney as a "salary dump" at that cost, but I think that's why the A's traded him as part of the deal. Mr Moon I agree.  A's wanted to save the $1.4 so the Sox had to take him. Both Reddick and Kalish have bigger upsides and are cheaper than Sweeney.  It was logical to let one go before ST, because ST battles are mostly  a myth (small sample size and mixed competition). Of course, you trade from surplus, which is why Ellsbury is very unlikely to be moved despite multiple threads.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]
    All points well taken.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I cannot believe Cherington gave Beane Head!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know it's hard to think of Sweeney as a "salary dump" at that cost, but I think that's why the A's traded him as part of the deal.

Mr Moon I agree.  A's wanted to save the $1.4 so the Sox had to take him.

Both Reddick and Kalish have bigger upsides and are cheaper than Sweeney.  It was logical to let one go before ST, because ST battles are mostly  a myth (small sample size and mixed competition).

Of course, you trade from surplus, which is why Ellsbury is very unlikely to be moved despite multiple threads.

Sweeney might make a little more than $1.4M. He made that in 2011 and is up for arb this winter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I like this trade but am concerned about Bailey's numbers against the ALE. small sample, but with the exception of Toronto, the rest of the east does well aganst him.
    Not crazy about Sweeney. Decent OBP but we gave up a lot of power. I still think BC needs to go out and get Andruw and real soon.

We still need to lock up a starter or two. Oswalt is the prime candidate, IMO, since he is agreeable to one year. Kuroda is older and more expensive and wants two years. No-brainer here.
    I'd still like to see Wake in the mix. He can be our number 5 until Dice gets back in June.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Not for nothing, but 1.4mil being a salary dump in Oakland is exactly why I think C Young would definitely be available in AZ, and not for the high bounty others perceive.

Mike Lowell was a salary dump once upon a time.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

heard on Boston comcast sports.net  last night Bailey is set to earn just over $400,000 in 2012. Thought that can't be true but heard the same this morning Is that right??

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]heard on Boston comcast sports.net  last night Bailey is set to earn just over $400,000 in 2012. Thought that can't be true but heard the same this morning. is that right?? Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] J-Bay, he's arbitration eligible and projections have him at 3.5 million for 2012...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": J-Bay, he's arbitration eligible and projections have him at 3.5 million for 2012...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Ya, thats what I thought it may be Jasko but then thought they'd say so if it was...guess not. Thanks for the info. We're blocked from the internet at work, but unblocked the globe site for me, the IT guy is a sox fan;)

BTW, they had an phone interview with Bailey who said "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy to be a Red Sox"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]heard on Boston comcast sports.net  last night Bailey is set to earn just over $400,000 in 2012. Thought that can't be true but heard the same this morning Is that right??
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

He made $465K in 2011 and this is his first arb year. Players usually do not gte big raises in their first arb year, but Bailey has been a closer for 3 years. I think $500K might be all he gets, but I'm not expert on predicting arb numbers.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : He made $465K in 2011 and this is his first arb year. Players usually do not gte big raises in their first arb year, but Bailey has been a closer for 3 years. I think $500K might be all he gets, but I'm not expert on predicting arb numbers.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Thanks moon....even if its $750,000-$800,000SmileLaughingCool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox acquire Bailey....": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox acquire Bailey.... : Ya, thats what I thought it may be Jasko but then thought they'd say so if it was...guess not. Thanks for the info. We're blocked from the internet at work, but unblocked the globe site for me, the IT guy is a sox fan;) BTW, they had an phone interview with Bailey who said "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy to be a Red Sox" Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] Haha...always take care of the IT guys...Bailey's arbitration number is not mine...that's the projection on MLBTR, and site they pulled it from is usually very accurate. Moons a great poster, but he's right, arb numbers aren't his thing ;)